• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Ainigma

Neo Member
I'm thinking about getting the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate edition but none of the people I usually play online with are picking it up, whats it like playing online on your own?

COD was always ok, and MOH is to an extent, is this the same?

xclaw

Ainigma said:
I'm thinking about getting the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate edition but none of the people I usually play online with are picking it up, whats it like playing online on your own?

COD was always ok, and MOH is to an extent, is this the same?

If you have a mic and play half normal, you'll get people on your friends list in no time. Assuming your on the 360 or PS3.

Ainigma

Neo Member
xclaw said:
If you have a mic and play half normal, you'll get people on your friends list in no time. Assuming your on the 360 or PS3.

I think I play half normal, and have a Mic. On the PS3.

I've enjoyed Medal of Honor online as it's different from COD, it has problems and things that could do with refining but being made by DICE I assume it's closer to Battlefield?

vixlar

The other day I laid off some mines expecting a tank woul show up... but a full Helicopter landed exactly on them... muahahahaha.

It was really funny to see.

Ocho

Ainigma said:
I think I play half normal, and have a Mic. On the PS3.

I've enjoyed Medal of Honor online as it's different from COD, it has problems and things that could do with refining but being made by DICE I assume it's closer to Battlefield?

I dare to say the PS3 GAF community is excellent and if you add a bunch of guys, who post regularly (mine: the8bitgeorge), you'll find people to play with at all times*.

Plus, we rock.

* not at all times, but mostly.

Ainigma

Neo Member
ochobit said:
I dare to say the PS3 GAF community is excellent and if you add a bunch of guys, who post regularly (mine: the8bitgeorge), you'll find people to play with at all times*.

Plus, we rock.

* not at all times, but mostly.

Cheers, I'll pick it up after work.

Ainigma

Neo Member
My PSN id is Ainigma, i'll try the game tonight and hopefully get online when I can - new baby boy born two weeks ago so have to schedule gaming around him :lol

vixlar said:
The other day I laid off some mines expecting a tank woul show up... but a full Helicopter landed exactly on them... muahahahaha.

It was really funny to see.
if you put mines on a helipad, sometimes they'll blow up when the chopper takes off. it's not 100% reliable though.

UFRA

The Faceless Master said:
seriously, after they lost the first tank, you would think they'd stop bailing... but they didn't...

The crazy part was they had two level 50's, and several level 40-something's. You'd think that experienced players like that would know better than to bail out of a tank in enemy territory.

Spl1nter

Playing for the past week after taking a 2.5 month break I am pumped up for Vietnam. Still there are somethings that piss me off in the game.

- Gustav
Weapon takes no skill to utilize efficiently. Just frustrating to play against when you know you are better then the enemy player.

- Quality of the Average player
I would of thought the skill level of players would go up in the game overtime but still there are so many new/inexperienced/crappy players in the game. Allows for some easy kills for myself but frustration as well. People dont understand in conquest you have to capture the points, the same basic problem occurs in Rush. When you do have players who understand you have to capture the flag the next issue is players rushing to the next flag. When you have 2 of the 3 flags there is no reason to attack. You should be defending you 2 bases as you have the ticket bleed advantage. Conquest is all about (useful) map control, not enough players understand that facet of gameplay.

- Useless Snipers
Really fits into the quality of the average player but deserves its own section. Seems as if on the worst of teams players go recon and stay back and snipe. I have no problem with snipers as I play one almost exclusively (GOL, C4, 12x, Magnum Ammo). Issue is they are not contributing to the team. A sniper may rack up a number of kills but they are not providing support for the infantry attacking. They are killing enemies extraneous to the location of the main push. There is such a huge difference between lone wolf sniping and sniper support for your squad. Its not just about the head shot, a body shot will do 50 damage allowing you team to take down the enemy quicker or causing them to take cover allowing your squad to gain further map control.

Anyways. The game is still a lot of fun. So much better when you are playing with 3-4 friends as you are able to kind of ignore the deficiencies of your team since you have your squad to back you up.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Spl1nter said:
- Quality of the Average player
I would of thought the skill level of players would go up in the game overtime but still there are so many new/inexperienced/crappy players in the game. Allows for some easy kills for myself but frustration as well. People dont understand in conquest you have to capture the points, the same basic problem occurs in Rush. When you do have players who understand you have to capture the flag the next issue is players rushing to the next flag. When you have 2 of the 3 flags there is no reason to attack. You should be defending you 2 bases as you have the ticket bleed advantage. Conquest is all about (useful) map control, not enough players understand that facet of gameplay.

happens in every game with point control, flag capture, king of the hill, etc. in a pub the only thing you can do is tell everyone incoming/what to anticipate/where help is needed. giving direct orders isn't helpful but saying something sarcastic can sometimes make teams wake up. a lot of players are mindlessly falling into a pattern. some will never stop running around randomly looking for kills but others are capable of following good suggestions

xclaw

Lately when I'm playing solo and my entire team is wookies... for fun I stick a tracer dart on their head. Even then they still just sit there doing whatever it is they do.

Is it just me or perhaps I missed some patch notes but it seems that the stationary heavy MGs don't protect you from bullets as much as they used too... anyone else notice that?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Spl1nter said:
- Useless Snipers
Really fits into the quality of the average player but deserves its own section. Seems as if on the worst of teams players go recon and stay back and snipe. I have no problem with snipers as I play one almost exclusively (GOL, C4, 12x, Magnum Ammo). Issue is they are not contributing to the team. A sniper may rack up a number of kills but they are not providing support for the infantry attacking. They are killing enemies extraneous to the location of the main push. There is such a huge difference between lone wolf sniping and sniper support for your squad. Its not just about the head shot, a body shot will do 50 damage allowing you team to take down the enemy quicker or causing them to take cover allowing your squad to gain further map control.

It's too bad DICE is catering to these types of players (mostly in Rush) because there isn't a penalty for hanging back when two guys and a UAV can take the objective anfter you bleed 60+ of their tickets.

The most annoying thing for me about recons is that they kill me in the most illogical places. I don't have an issue with "campers" but I do get annoyed when some douche kills me nine miles away from any objective... when their actions don't make sense because they have no bearing on the point of the game. They are just being cheesy and getting kills instead of playing the game. I look at the scoreboard and they're in the basement, but I just lost my combat excellence pin because I wasn't expecting some fuck to be sitting under a tree in the middle of nowhere for no good reason.

I breath fire when that shit happens... I'm like what are you doing you're crate is armed why are you all the way out here!

I sent a guy a message the other day after we destroyed his team... Subject: "Hahaha" text: "Nice game worthless recon fuck, way to contribute"

He messaged me back... "Thanks u to."

Where do these people come from.

Take that Roice bastard. We actually won on White pass after losing the first base. We were relentless on them. The last moment was pretty awesome. Majority of our team pushes forward to their base to wipe out 6 of the remaining lives.

abuC

Crakatak187 said:
Take that Roice bastard. We actually won on White pass after losing the first base. We were relentless on them. The last moment was pretty awesome. Majority of our team pushes forward to their base to wipe out 6 of the remaining lives.

I think Faceless destroyed all the buildings while they were taking the second base, great strategy cause it left them with no place to hide on the final base. I got hit with the frostbite freeze just as the game was coming to an end, thanks Dice.

abuC said:
I think Faceless destroyed all the buildings while they were taking the second base, great strategy cause it left them with no place to hide on the final base. I got hit with the frostbite freeze just as the game was coming to an end, thanks Dice.
I was wondering why most of the buildings were down as I ran around in their spawn :lol

abuC said:
yeah, i destroyed most of the buildings between our bases after they got B on the 2nd base. then took out the forest on the left and killed some people. the best part for me was when 4 assaults sitting behind the hill in the left lobbing grenades at A, 3 with the knife and the 4th i shot because he turned around.

todahawk

Ainigma said:
My PSN id is Ainigma, i'll try the game tonight and hopefully get online when I can - new baby boy born two weeks ago so have to schedule gaming around him :lol

Hence the 4:41AM post time! :lol

One random I played with must've had a newborn in his lap the whole match. I'd be blowing shit up and then hear this baby cooing. I was like WTF did i just hear?

aristotle

greenjerk said:
Hence the 4:41AM post time! :lol

One random I played with must've had a newborn in his lap the whole match. I'd be blowing shit up and then hear this baby cooing. I was like WTF did i just hear?

Sounds like a Ranger in training ;)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok.. so MOH already has DLC with new game modes and maps? THE. HELL. ¿?

Evolved1

Mortars in this game are retarded... trying to defend on Isla... it's bad enough you have to deal with C4 cheese and an entire team of recons who will not leave their base... but the way that mortar strikes shake the screen and alter your aim is unacceptable.

I mean you can see these little cunts but you can't return fire because their entire team is punishing you with constant mortar barrages. So you see the asshole but you have to wait until you can fucking aim meanwhile the prick snipes you. Bullshit.

The kill zone with mortars is perfectly acceptable and so is the cool down, but the entire island shakes and you can't fucking aim even if you're 50 ft away.

DICE you guys can suck so much ass I can't believe how many bad gameplay decisions you make. But no prone herp derp, don't want to encourage campers!

I just finished a game where there was literally nothing left on the island because all they did was mortar and C4 us. Not one person was playing anything but recon (why should they) and then with 5 tickets left they UAV'd bravo.

I just don't have the patience for this kind of shit.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Spl1nter said:
New Vietnam trailer tomorrow. Will find out the price for the expansion. Possibly the date as well, hopefully.
HYPE !!

Evolved1

I have trouble finding games in Onslaught... but maybe because there was a sale people will be playing it. Lately I only use it to mess around with the helicopter and kill time until gaffers are on.

Snowballo

Spl1nter said:
New Vietnam trailer tomorrow. Will find out the price for the expansion. Possibly the date as well, hopefully.

My most wanted game for this winter season.
Please be not more than 1200 points.

Moreover, I'd like to know if you suggest me to buy Onslaught and DLC stuff (I don't remember the name of the package) now that are on sale.

Thanks.

UFRA

recklessmind said:
Mortars in this game are retarded... trying to defend on Isla... it's bad enough you have to deal with C4 cheese and an entire team of recons who will not leave their base... but the way that mortar strikes shake the screen and alter your aim is unacceptable.

I mean you can see these little cunts but you can't return fire because their entire team is punishing you with constant mortar barrages. So you see the asshole but you have to wait until you can fucking aim meanwhile the prick snipes you. Bullshit.

The kill zone with mortars is perfectly acceptable and so is the cool down, but the entire island shakes and you can't fucking aim even if you're 50 ft away.

DICE you guys can suck so much ass I can't believe how many bad gameplay decisions you make. But no prone herp derp, don't want to encourage campers!

I just finished a game where there was literally nothing left on the island because all they did was mortar and C4 us. Not one person was playing anything but recon (why should they) and then with 5 tickets left they UAV'd bravo.

I really hate the mortar shaking as well. It's so stupid.

I don't know if some of you know this, but it seems that although the shaking "appears" to affect your aiming, it really doesn't. It's purely cosmetic from what I've experienced.

Countless times I've been aiming down the sight, with a red dot sight for example, and I had a shot perfectly lined up with the red dot right on some guy's chest.

I'm about to fire, and a mortar strike starts shaking my screen in it's craptastic ways. However, I'm far enough away I'm not taking damage. The guy hasn't moved, and I haven't moved. The gun on my screen is all over the freaking place (way off target), but I fire in short bursts just like I always do, and sure enough...every shot hits and the dude is dead as if nothing was different - even though the entire time I was firing, my gun wasn't even remotely aiming at him. I was 100% accurate, yet the gun was 100% off target. That's why I think it's just cosmetic and to piss us off.

I haven't played the game online in ages due to illness,but is it me or have they nerfed Medics big time?

Whilst I found Medics to be fun to play as, I do admit they were to overpowered. The majority of them wouldn't bother doing what they were designed for and just run around getting kills.

And whilst nerfing them means that they should focus more on the role of a support class, it feels like they have been nerfed too much. Though as I said it has been ages since I last played so it could just be me. And by no means is this post meant to be a rant or cry over being nerfed. I am all for them forcing the medic to play the role of one instead of going all out Rambo style.

I was playing the other night trying to defend a base and in between reviving and dropping med kits, I was also trying to defend the base. I know I am shit at the game, but I could barely kill anyone up close, even with headshots (using the heavy machine gun).

I don't mind running around healing and reviving but it would be nice to be able to actually kill someone if I have too, especially if I get the.drop on them :p

Also it is nice to see that people still dont bother spotting the enemy >.>

I must get the MG3. I can finally go back to playing Rambo style use it for support and not die as I run to revive someone and get killed by a guy with a pistol because he can put me down faster then me with my crappy heavy machine gun :p

Fersis

zh1nt0 tweeted that the release date wont be announced tomorrow.
Speaking about pricing : $15 bucks seems fine to me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
recklessmind said:

So stop playing and go play something else. DICE isn't holding a gun to your head saying, "PLAY BITCH!" God.

so who plays on 360 other than Relaxed Muscle? and Relaxed, how about that chopper theft on Atacama Rush? that other team played so cowardly, just hiding in their base the whole game.

UFRA said:
I really hate the mortar shaking as well. It's so stupid.

I don't know if some of you know this, but it seems that although the shaking "appears" to affect your aiming, it really doesn't. It's purely cosmetic from what I've experienced.

Countless times I've been aiming down the sight, with a red dot sight for example, and I had a shot perfectly lined up with the red dot right on some guy's chest.

I'm about to fire, and a mortar strike starts shaking my screen in it's craptastic ways. However, I'm far enough away I'm not taking damage. The guy hasn't moved, and I haven't moved. The gun on my screen is all over the freaking place (way off target), but I fire in short bursts just like I always do, and sure enough...every shot hits and the dude is dead as if nothing was different - even though the entire time I was firing, my gun wasn't even remotely aiming at him. I was 100% accurate, yet the gun was 100% off target. That's why I think it's just cosmetic and to piss us off.
yeah, the shaking actually doesn't affect your aim, if you have someone in your sights before the shaking starts, shoot and you will hit them.

Samurai Penguin said:
I haven't played the game online in ages due to illness,but is it me or have they nerfed Medics big time?

Whilst I found Medics to be fun to play as, I do admit they were to overpowered. The majority of them wouldn't bother doing what they were designed for and just run around getting kills.

And whilst nerfing them means that they should focus more on the role of a support class, it feels like they have been nerfed too much. Though as I said it has been ages since I last played so it could just be me. And by no means is this post meant to be a rant or cry over being nerfed. I am all for them forcing the medic to play the role of one instead of going all out Rambo style.

I was playing the other night trying to defend a base and in between reviving and dropping med kits, I was also trying to defend the base. I know I am shit at the game, but I could barely kill anyone up close, even with headshots (using the heavy machine gun).

I don't mind running around healing and reviving but it would be nice to be able to actually kill someone if I have too, especially if I get the.drop on them :p

Also it is nice to see that people still dont bother spotting the enemy >.>
medics weren't nerfed! the guns are more accurate than before. the M60 damage was lowered, but that's about it...

BF3 tidbit re: PC

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/18686418-post94.html

Early on BFBC2 our PC playtest feedback showed that weapon feeling was lacking. It just wasn't as much fun to shoot the guns on PC as on console. With controls being the big gameplay difference (mouse vs pad) it quickly became clear that simply put the original weapon tweaks, which were done on the PS3, weren't working on PC. The guns all had a bit of base inaccuracy, that with a gamepad wasn't really noteworthy, but on PC it really prevented players from taking advantage of the mouse input. On 2142 one of the key things about the guns is that they were all deadly accurate, they lost damage over range sure, but if you could put the crosshairs on the target you could hit it. Sure, some people feel like an AR should be more accurate than an SMG or carbine. I feel like the issue is "ARs should be better at range" and thus, they do better damage over range than the SMGs.

In response to the feedback on PC, I completely retweaked the accuracy. The next playtest it was immediately obvious that it was a change for the better, and surprisingly it also made gamepads feel much better as well.

Fundamentally I think it is an error to have different core gameplay on console vs PCs. PC gives a player more input control and if a gun feels good on PC it feels good on console. I won't "dumb it down" by lowering the recoil or changing the damage model or other such silliness.

PC and Console Battlefield players want similar gameplay: Epic sprawling Battlefields, and also tight infantry fights. Balanced weapons and land/sea/air vehicles with a rock-paper-scissors emphasis. Squad and teamplay, where no one player can be a do-it-all super soldier, and communications systems to support teamplay. And a deep and rewarding system of progression with deep and varied gameplay that keeps you wanting to go 1 more round. Everyone also wants it to be easy to play with their friends.

Consoles generally are less tolerant of overly complex interfaces. They have less buttons, you need more elegant interfaces. Deep systems work well though if they have a straight forward interface. The fun is not in figuring out how to use the system, it's in figuring out how to best use the system.

PC players have their own set of requirements. They tend to play only on PC, and they know their PCs have capabilities beyond that of a console. The gap is narrowing, but PCs still have a clear advantage in memory. PC players also demand a PC interface, a server browser, and anything that feels like it might have been "ported" from a console is going to get flamed hard. They are more forgiving of complex systems and will tear any design down into its parts to really figure out how it works. It's a damn sight harder to please a PC player, they have higher expectations.

It's too early to talk BF3 specifics. But it's never too early for me to acknowledge that PC players have a fear that BF3 will be "consolized." PC gaming is alive and well, BFBC2 has proven that and no one at DICE or EA can argue with the numbers. Battlefield 3 needs an extra bit of special attention on the PC. I intend to give it that attention, tradition and our community demand it.

Kinda weird coming from Demize. Dude knows nothing about BC2 for the PC :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Spl1nter said:
Awesome. :D

I need to start playing this again, but New Vegas is going to eat up so much of my time.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
So stop playing and go play something else. DICE isn't holding a gun to your head saying, "PLAY BITCH!" God.

but if i don't come here and complain directly after such a frustrating game i might actually stop playing...

though i can see how it'd get annoying to read my whining :lol i'll try to be more positive.

hey dice you guys are awesome at like 90% of your gameplay decisions.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
recklessmind said:
but if i don't come here and complain directly after such a frustrating game i might actually stop playing...

though i can see how it'd get annoying to read my whining :lol i'll try to be more positive.

hey dice you guys are awesome at like 90% of your gameplay decisions.

I'm not saying you can't complain. But it's like "DICE this is broken, DICE sucks. DICE DICE DICE DICE DICE DICE..." and it's like "we know. It isn't going to change. Bitching isn't doing anything productive."

Go play Call of Duty or something for a week and come back. You'll feel refreshed and not annoyed, I promise.

UFRA

Well, we had a good night for the most part other than the last defense match we played on Arica Harbor...

What a crap team we had. At one point, I recall seeing at least 4 snipers all sitting on the same building...meanwhile, M-COM's were being armed and it felt like only a couple people including myself were trying to disarm them.

The other team was really cheesy too. Their whole team of 12 had a minimum of 1500 points at the end. The top guy had 5600.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
recklessmind said:
I have trouble finding games in Onslaught... but maybe because there was a sale people will be playing it. Lately I only use it to mess around with the helicopter and kill time until gaffers are on.

Well, I save myself 5 bucks anyway.

I find it kind of skeevy that they're also selling weapon unlocks though. Yeesh.

The Faceless Master said:
so who plays on 360 other than Relaxed Muscle? and Relaxed, how about that chopper theft on Atacama Rush? that other team played so cowardly, just hiding in their base the whole game.

Really!, we had the match pretty controled and then you appeared with the chopper, I thought "they're fucked" and then they got totally owned on their own base. :lol

Moment of the night for me!.

Also, still no proper date for Vietnam?! SMH EA/DICE.

UFRA said:
Well, we had a good night for the most part other than the last defense match we played on Arica Harbor...

What a crap team we had. At one point, I recall seeing at least 4 snipers all sitting on the same building...meanwhile, M-COM's were being armed and it felt like only a couple people including myself were trying to disarm them.

The other team was really cheesy too. Their whole team of 12 had a minimum of 1500 points at the end. The top guy had 5600.
my crappy ISP went down right in the middle of that game and i couldn't reconnect. i was so upset.

Top Bottom