• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You wouldn't believe the team Fersis and I just had to play with... I wanted to strangle people. :lol

abuC

The Faceless Master said:
bah, arm only would be a full squad of defenders camping the crate. like playing anyone with common sense on the final B on Nelson Bay. for every crate. every game.

The damage to the crate should be more like BC1, most people didn't blow crates up, they actually armed most of the time. To encourage more arming give out more pts too, thats why most people are C4ing it, because you don't get half as much for arming it and detonating.

I just don't understand how they could take a step back from BC1, where I felt it was very well balanced.

abuC said:
The damage to the crate should be more like BC1, most people didn't blow crates up, they actually armed most of the time. To encourage more arming give out more pts too, thats why most people are C4ing it, because you don't get half as much for arming it and detonating.

I just don't understand how they could take a step back from BC1, where I felt it was very well balanced.
crates were weaker in BC1 than BC2. it was 8 C4, RPG's, 8 AT Mines (Pre-nerf) or even 8 Mortar Strikes (on crates with no roof) and the small tanks MURDERED the crates if you watched the cooldown.

Snowballo

Concerning Vietnam DLC

Do we know if being for example level 40 will it be possible to play Vietnam and increase our level up to 50? Or we will have to play Bad Company 2 to reach level 50 and Vientam will follow different rules?

Az

Was fun playing again. Some good games with Dan, Wes, Evolved and Fersis until we got our ass whooped by that clan. Didn't take me too long to get back in the groove. Sadly the same cheap tactics are still being used.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Snowballo said:
Concerning Vietnam DLC

Do we know if being for example level 40 will it be possible to play Vietnam and increase our level up to 50? Or we will have to play Bad Company 2 to reach level 50 and Vientam will follow different rules?
Worry not buddy, you level up the same ranks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Snowballo said:
Thanks Farsis boy,

so you mean that playing Vietnam I will still run for the 50th level right?
:*
Yup, im a level 36 right now and im pretty sure im gonna reach 50 with Vietnam :D

Repi retweed this :
Flying to London later today to show a new, unannounced #Battlefield game to the press. News goes public on Friday. (NOT #BF3)

Im guessing a new F2P BF game.

Finally double dipped for the PC version on Steam, but what is with the annoying disappearing red dot when using 40mm nades? Everyone else getting this?

Spl1nter

Foxtastical said:
Finally double dipped for the PC version on Steam, but what is with the annoying disappearing red dot when using 40mm nades? Everyone else getting this?

Yes. Everyone else gets it.

I'm going to miss a lot more nights or get on late. Thursday and Friday will be my gaming night now. I'm exercising during 8-9 p.m Pacific to get in shape.

Massa

recklessmind said:

It's a nice change of pace with more close range combat, but most importantly I always seem to do really well on that map. :lol

Not my favorite by any means but I enjoy it.

UFRA said:
Anyone who wants to join, I'm playing against a really shitty team and it's great. :lol

But it's no fun playing against a shitty team. :-/

In Conquest at least, I almost never play Rush anymore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
recklessmind said:

I've stated before. I really like White Pass, even if the next two sets are pretty moronic on balance.

The first set is the HARDEST to take if you have a good team/squad set up. Medics + Assaults are NEEDED. An assault recon being fed ammo for motion mines is NEEDED.

STUPID PLAYERS NOT SPREADING OUT AND MAKING SURE THE ENEMY CAN'T GET IN. Are needed. Holding the line in that base is the most fun I've had in the game.

Attackers have to have a good plan to get in if the other team is really good. If they aren't, it's EXTREMELY easy to cheese both crates (taking that out would actually make the first set pretty impossible to take if the defenders are good, actually) once you get in. And that's punishment for the defenders not working together.

The reason people quit is because "DERP WE CAN'T WORK AS A TEAM AND OH NOES SECOND AND THIRD SETS ARE QUICK." They have this preemptive fear of failing. If you failed, so what? You and your team didn't work as well as you hoped and that's a learning experience for next time.

Really, if they fixed the second and third sets, it's probably be right up there in best map to play on that I could do 24/7 (with a little more cover for attackers so they aren't sitting ducks if they don't get pushing within two minutes of round start) like Arica Rush/Conquest and Panama Canal.

Edit: And I haven't played in two weeks because I've been busy with volunteering, and writing for NaNoWriMo this month. Whoops. Sorry about that guys. I'll probably be back on this weekend for a bit if I'm not busy making my 1,667 words writing goal per day. :lol

Spl1nter

Foxtastical said:
Christ, any word on them fixing it? Seems absurd to let slide.

I doubt it. Its really just a minor cosmetic bug. GL use different sight system anyway. Dont see why its absurd to let it slide. Has no effect at all on anything in the game. More important to fix hundreds of other issues.

bah, you can RPG B from your spawn, and A from several places, and you can C4 them both from any floor. the defenders have to defend and simultaneously attack the hill and clear the under construction building. it's a ton of effort and failure means 2 sets of pretty much victory lapping.

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
bah, you can RPG B from your spawn, and A from several places, and you can C4 them both from any floor. the defenders have to defend and simultaneously attack the hill and clear the under construction building. it's a ton of effort and failure means 2 sets of pretty much victory lapping.

I haven't honestly seen A hit successfully by rocket sniping. B can be, but it seems tricky.

Maybe I just haven't played against/with good rocket snipers on that map. But for the most part, holding the outside AND inside with a bunch of assault/medic/recons is the key to holding the first set.

Where is the daily highlights!? I want to hear them unless nothing good happened today.

I'll play on Thursday and Friday. Maybe late tomorrow if I can make it.

Evolved1

Last night was fun... JM, Dream, Wes and myself were on for a few hours and I think we won every game. Might have lost an early match, but I recall their entire team eventually quit and we had to migrate, so we must have been smoking them.

Highlight of the night for me was defense on Port Valdez... I never use mines, but I'm trying to get the insignia, so I decided to just mine the shit out of everything. It was pretty epic, in one round I had 5 explosive efficiency pins just from mines! :lol

I don't know how many kills that is exactly, but they just kept driving over them over and over, and I'm already 1/3 of the way to the insignia!

Oh and I just remembered the Laguna defense... their entire team was recons as usual... but they were worthless! First thing I did was jump on the mounted MG on the beach right in front of the crate... figuring I'd maybe get a kill or destroy a boat before dying. But they were so bad I just kept killing them. Mortars and rockets were hitting all around me but never directly, and I just sat there spotting and ruining them in their base. Combat excellence pin pops up... kill two more guys and a patrol boat. Mortars get a little too close and wreck the MG but I escape w/o dying. :lol We murdered them from there... they couldn't even get the crate on the beach. Worst team ever.

TheSeks

recklessmind said:
I don't know how many kills that is exactly, but they just kept driving over them over and over, and I'm already 1/3 of the way to the insignia!

That's why Mines are useful and you should use them more often. No one checks and if they do, they have to detonate them, giving you time to steal/hit the tank if they get out/can't hit the mines.

jayb

this game would be so much more enjoyable to me without the level 50 players destroying me in a hind. Actually, i'm beginning to hate any shooter that combines foot solders with aircraft (warhawk, BFBC2, COD killstreak perks, etc). I just turn into a major suck-fest when I'm getting shot at from the sky. :(

Shai-Tan

Banned
jayb said:
this game would be so much more enjoyable to me without the level 50 players destroying me in a hind. Actually, i'm beginning to hate any shooter that combines foot solders with aircraft (warhawk, BFBC2, COD killstreak perks, etc). I just turn into a major suck-fest when I'm getting shot at from the sky. :(

its not hard to shoot down choppers on pc. they even buffed AT4 which is pretty good once you learn how to lead it to aim. choppers only do well when the other team is bad and/or is too lazy to switch to engineer if there arent any. in the few instances I faced good pilots I just jumped into the UAV and shot them in the face with alt fire. on conq maps and atacama rush there's also AA

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
That's why Mines are useful and you should use them more often. No one checks and if they do, they have to detonate them, giving you time to steal/hit the tank if they get out/can't hit the mines.

I'm new to it... but I found it was pretty easy to get kills if you drop the mine in places that make them hard to see. A mine sitting on an open stretch of road might kill some noob who isn't paying attention, but a vet tank driver is going to be looking for them. But I found placing them in craters or areas where the road is damaged or shaded from trees, they are much harder to see. As a tank driver myself I'm always worried about the blind spot when you're driving over a hill... if a mine is directly under the crest of a hill, you cannot see it -- even the gunner can't see it. So that's where I targeted first. After a few kills I figured people would start avoiding the same path, so I put them on the flanks and I swear they were killing people as fast as I could put them down. By the time I dropped mines and got an assault to restock me they had already blown up.

They are practically invisible sitting in a crater. There was one spot on the right side where the crater was so deep from multiple explosions... it was like geomod from Red Faction. :lol

Shai-Tan said:
its not hard to shoot down choppers on pc. they even buffed AT4 which is pretty good once you learn how to lead it to aim. choppers only do well when the other team is bad and/or is too lazy to switch to engineer if there arent any. in the few instances I faced good pilots I just jumped into the UAV and shot them in the face with alt fire. on conq maps and atacama rush there's also AA

VADS is ridiculously powerful vs choppers... the only time I have trouble with lvl 50 pilots is when they're circle-straffers. :/

TheSeks

recklessmind said:
I'm new to it... but I found it was pretty easy to get kills if you drop the mine in places that make them hard to see. A mine sitting on an open stretch of road might kill some noob who isn't paying attention, but a vet tank driver is going to be looking for them. But I found placing them in craters or areas where the road is damaged or shaded from trees, they are much harder to see. As a tank driver myself I'm always worried about the blind spot when you're driving over a hill... if a mine is directly under the crest of a hill, you cannot see it -- even the gunner can't see it. So that's where I targeted first. After a few kills I figured people would start avoiding the same path, so I put them on the flanks and I swear they were killing people as fast as I could put them down. By the time I dropped mines and got an assault to restock me they had already blown up.

They are practically invisible sitting in a crater. There was one spot on the right side where the crater was so deep from multiple explosions... it was like geomod from Red Faction. :lol

Yeah, like I said they're hard to see if you use them right. I place them in the open because generally there is four-five others (esp. if playing with GAF) that'll spawn at the start with mines as well (then I spawn back to RPG on death, they can keep the mines while I take the long-ranger role). I catch them once, generally they'll hesitate and run into someone elses mines. :lol

Placing the mines near known "jihad landing spots" will also make them stop after a bit once you get the hang of it.

AT mines are useful, more people should use them as they totally shut the vehicles down if you aren't careful and looking/anti-mine jobbing. :lol

Shai-Tan

Banned
It also depends on the map/stage. People tend to put mines in the same places which leads drivers/gunners to always look/shoot there even if they are good spots.

TheSeks

Shai-Tan said:
It also depends on the map/stage. People tend to put mines in the same places which leads drivers/gunners to always look/shoot there even if they are good spots.

That really depends on the players/team though. I've seen high level players drive into obvious mines/the obvious road because they're in a hurry to try to jihad the crate. Shit, I've done that myself numerous times.

If you have a team of engineers (and some support/assaults) you can pretty much shut down the game for vehicles and then deal with infantry stealthers.

Evolved1

The only downside to the mines... I'm mostly engineer class these days and it's hard to wrap my head around not having an RPG.

Couple times yesterday I switched to the CG in the heat of the moment only to realize I had mines... I was like "Oh fuuuc... dead." :lol

TheSeks

You generally place the mines, go out in a blaze of glory and then go back to RPG's. Really, mines aren't meant to be the counter to "tanks already in play."

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
In rush defense I like to run to the out of bounds at the back of the base and lay some mines. If you fail to defend the crates you usually get a few kills on the next set as the attackers rush out of their new spawn.

UFRA

Crakatak187 said:
Where is the daily highlights!? I want to hear them unless nothing good happened today.

I'll play on Thursday and Friday. Maybe late tomorrow if I can make it.

Well, my highlight of Tuesday night was that I got my 2nd Jetski road kill. :lol

Evolved1

UFRA said:
Well, my highlight of Tuesday night was that I got my 2nd Jetski road kill. :lol

Funniest thing from the night was all of us standing around the blackhawk waiting for someone to be pilot and you were like, "Ugh fine..." and then got in. :lol :lol :lol

UFRA

recklessmind said:
Funniest thing from the night was all of us standing around the blackhawk waiting for someone to be pilot and you were like, "Ugh fine..." and then got in. :lol :lol :lol

Oh yeah that was awesome. I just saw 3 green arrows sitting still all pointing at the blackhawk on my mini-map. Then I looked to my right and see you standing there, and on the otherside dreamgazer is just standing there. :lol :lol

UFRA

PS3 GAF - How often does this game freeze for you? And what model PS3 do you have?

I have an 80GB model (the newer one - only 2 USB, no BC, etc.) and I would say my game freezes on a moderate-to-regular basis.

I'm getting a little concerned. The last 3 nights that I played BC2, it froze once every one of those nights. If I look back in the previous month or so, I'd say on average - playing 3-4 times per week, it would freeze at least once per week. Now it's getting more frequent or something. Not an issue with other games though, which lowers my worries.

I'm really really tempted to buy the 320GB Slim once it comes out in a few days. My current PS3 has a 320GB HDD that's like 2-3 years old now that's gone from my old 60GB to my current 80GB. I'm worried maybe the HDD is crapping out or something. With a new slim I can just use that nice Data Transfer Utility, and then be on my way.

Evolved1

I have a slim... game freezes periodically. Not as often lately, but I've had it freeze once this week.

Might not be your system, especially if it doesn't happen with other games. BC2 is glitchy as hell.

It's definitely the game freezing, but I wonder does the forced turn off puts any stress on my PS3. I hold the power button, no way I'm pressing the back switch.

If my PS3 craps out I'll just get a slim. I'm not worried about save data. It gives me an excuse to replay some games.

TheSeks

It's BC2 freezing. The frostbite engine is prone to hardlocking the console depending on certain things.

We went over this a few pages back, didn't we?

Massa

recklessmind said:
I have a slim... game freezes periodically. Not as often lately, but I've had it freeze once this week.

Might not be your system, especially if it doesn't happen with other games. BC2 is glitchy as hell.

Same here, I have a brand new slim and the game freezes about once a week. Before this system I was using a borrowed slim for 4 months, and it would freeze there too... it's definitely the game and not the system.

As a side note, I know it's a completely different engine but DICE's Mirror's Edge had freezing issues too. There I figured what the problem was: the game would freeze when you entered an area it hadn't streamed yet. The solution is simple: if you're having the problem, just pause the game right before the area you know it'll freeze and wait a few seconds for it finish loading the level.

Evolved1

Massa said:
Same here, I have a brand new slim and the game freezes about once a week. Before this system I was using a borrowed slim for 4 months, and it would freeze there too... it's definitely the game and not the system.

As a side note, I know it's a completely different engine but DICE's Mirror's Edge had freezing issues too. There I figured what the problem was: the game would freeze when you entered an area it hadn't streamed yet. The solution is simple: if you're having the problem, just pause the game right before the area you know it'll freeze and wait a few seconds for it finish loading the level.

What's your PSN? I get everyone confused because most of us have different GAF usernames... are you a regular in the PS3 BC2 crew?

Coldsnap

How come it is so hard to leave after the match is over? I usually hop on to play one or two matches but once they are over I don't feel like starting another. Do I just cold turn off my xbox 360 after it shows my stats for the match at the end?

UFRA

Coldsnap said:
How come it is so hard to leave after the match is over? I usually hop on to play one or two matches but once they are over I don't feel like starting another. Do I just cold turn off my xbox 360 after it shows my stats for the match at the end?

Yeah the game has a pretty stupid system for in between matches.

After a game is over, there should be a simple 5 or 10 second intermission where you can either stay and view your stats (and continue to view them while it loads) or press pause and exit the game.

Instead, you are forced into the annoying loading of the next map. I always chuckle a little when some of us are leaving at the end of the night.

It's always like this:

*game ends*

"Awesome, nice win. Well, I'm out. Good games guys."

"Ok see ya man."

*game loading new map...*

*awkward silence, but still hear people breathing.*

*someone coughs*

*map loaded, finally can exit- wait, game is saving now*

*others are starting new match, you are still in it*

*saving done, finally*

"Err, goodnight guys.*

*Pause, exit*

UFRA said:
Yeah the game has a pretty stupid system for in between matches.

After a game is over, there should be a simple 5 or 10 second intermission where you can either stay and view your stats (and continue to view them while it loads) or press pause and exit the game.

Instead, you are forced into the annoying loading of the next map. I always chuckle a little when some of us are leaving at the end of the night.

It's always like this:

*game ends*

"Awesome, nice win. Well, I'm out. Good games guys."

"Ok see ya man."

*game loading new map...*

*awkward silence, but still hear people breathing.*

*someone coughs*

*map loaded, finally can exit- wait, game is saving now*

*others are starting new match, you are still in it*

*saving done, finally*

"Err, goodnight guys.*

*Pause, exit*
:lol :lol :lol

One of the key offenders is me

UFRA

Crakatak187 said:
:lol :lol :lol

One of the key offenders is me

Speaking of you, your absence last night was saddening :p

I'll be on a lot now FYI to PS3 GAF.

November officially marks the start of my winter schedule, and that means I'm mostly day shift now, so I'll be on to play at night.

My P90x schedule with my brother is getting in the way of my BFBC2 time. I'll think of another schedule to play next week.

My workout start time is around 8 p.m - 9 p.m pacific and last about an hour. I shower and eat right after.

Maybe I'll start to play earlier next week. 6 p.m Pacific sounds good.

Being an unfit guy, I'm so sore.

Top Bottom