• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

PedYup

Hi there!!
I´m back to the internets and ready for action.
Even the lurkers like rockscar use the GAF tag. <3 rockscar <3

No, no, no, I´m no lurker, I just post veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery sparingly

Well just took my CPA REG exam yesterday and I should be back on tonight.

Saw Faceless on yesterday, but everyone else was mostly playing black ops:lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
PedYup said:
Hi there!!
I´m back to the internets and ready for action.

No, no, no, I´m no lurker, I just post veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery sparingly
HOLA ROCKSCAR!

I didnt knew you were a gaffer! Pretty awesome ^__^

Im taking a break until Vietnam / Map Pack 7 are released.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Bunch of fun games where we rolled the other team... until some 50's joined and started cheesing. Then my PS3 froze. :/

I think it's about to die.

rockscar is online
rockscar is online
rockscar is online

well, at least it's the router!

when that happens to me it's because my ISP sucks.

good games!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hey Faceless... wheres my Map Pack #7 and Vietnam?
>8(

Calion

recklessmind said:
Bunch of fun games where we rolled the other team... until some 50's joined and started cheesing. Then my PS3 froze. :/

I think it's about to die.

I know the feeling. Sorry to hear it. : /

1stStrike

Banned
I should be back for Vietnam. Just played COD: Black Ops singleplayer and was like "wtf is this shit?" It's a far cry from Battlefield's quality.

Snowballo

Let's talk about the single player experience.
During last gen I was huge fan of Criterion's Black.
Great feeling with weapon, hard and challenging game, no respawn.
Black become my favourite single fps on console ever.

Then I played COD4:MW. I enjoyed it but I didn't like the infinite respawn. Anyway the game was great. Intense, spectacular. Feeling with weapons was not as great as Black's but really a good game.

I tried MW2. First hours were not so great but then the game started growing. I beated it and enjoyed it a lot, but not as much as MW concerning this generation.

When BC2 was out I tried the single campaing after reading that it was not memorable. I've found it boring and average. I quitted it and moved to the multiplayer. Soooooo great.

Now I tried to give the single campaign a second chance. I restarted it at highest difficulty (that it is not so difficult) and this time, maybe because now I know how to shoot, aim, move, appoach the enemies, I enjoyed it A LOT.

Being honest I cannot say that it is memorable but the weapon variety, the destruction 2.0, the feeling with weapons, the great graphics for so large areas, the sense of freedom, the totally awesome sound effects make me hard to understand why the campaign was so denigrated by the press.

Here we all love BC2, no dubts. But we are talkin about multiplayer.
What do you think about its single?

Fersis

Snowballo said:
Let's talk about the single player experience.

I wont say 'mediocre' but it wasnt very interesting, the length was fine but not enough good set pieces and almost every level were very linear A --> B --> C . Sangre de Toro being the exception.
I would rate it : 7/10

1stStrike

Banned
I got maybe an hour into the single player before I gave up on it out of pure boredom. I actually made it through Call of Duty: Black Ops single player, because the story was more interesting then BC2's, but I thought the guns sucked, and the game just didn't really interest me on anything outside of that.

UFRA

BC2's single player was a real let-down compared to the first BC. The first BC actually had a comical and interesting story that didn't take itself too seriously. Then, MW2 came along with some of the most "epic" events in an FPS single player ever, and so the guys at DICE decided they had to amp up BC2 with more dude-bro and uber explosion shit.

BC2's story felt like a complete bunch of garbage. Half the time I didn't even care what was going on and just wanted to finish it. The final scene in the airplane was cool though.

I think that they just really blew it and lost confidence in themselves. All of the characters in BC2 were NOT themselves anymore. They were badass, serious war machines. Not a bunch of slackers wanting to breeze through a mission and go home. They ruined the story just to make people go "OH THIS SHIT IS BOSS SON".

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Snowballo said:
I enjoyed it, although it was a pretty boring story without much to redeem it beyond plain old shooting guys. First level was great though. The out of bounds thing was really frustrating, I'd prefer invisible barriers to random mortars in the desert.

Snowballo

For you guys that are judging BC2's single player, I'd like you to compare it to MW, MW2 and your(s) best fps single player experience. Thanks.

I'd say...

Black (Xbox): 9/10
Pro: weapons, challenge, variety, graphics, sound
Cons: story

COD4MW: 9/10
Pro: epic story, atmosphere, graphics, variety, great locations, high mile club
Cons: respawn

MW2: 8.5/10
Pro: spectacularity, atmosphere, graphics, variety, great locations
Cons: respawn, story (I almost dunno remember it)

BFBC1: n/a
I have not player or better a few hours and then I gave up. Boring.

BFBC2: n/a
I have to finish it before judging, anyway great graphics and weapons sound (best ever?), awesome destruction 2.0 and weak story

Black Ops: n/a
They say it's great but I've not played single yet.

derFeef

UFRA said:
BC2's single player was a real let-down compared to the first BC. The first BC actually had a comical and interesting story that didn't take itself too seriously. Then, MW2 came along with some of the most "epic" events in an FPS single player ever, and so the guys at DICE decided they had to amp up BC2 with more dude-bro and uber explosion shit.

BC2's story felt like a complete bunch of garbage. Half the time I didn't even care what was going on and just wanted to finish it. The final scene in the airplane was cool though.

I think that they just really blew it and lost confidence in themselves. All of the characters in BC2 were NOT themselves anymore. They were badass, serious war machines. Not a bunch of slackers wanting to breeze through a mission and go home. They ruined the story just to make people go "OH THIS SHIT IS BOSS SON".
So true. BC1 was ridiculous and hilarious - it did not take itself serious and that's why I loved it. BC2 tried to be more serious and ambitious, which failed by a small margin. But the sadest thing was that they destroyed the characters :/

poppabk

CoD1: 9/10
Pro: Scripted sequences were still fresh. This was my first time defending against tanks by having to get to inconveniently placed rocket launchers. Cool setting, shamelessly ripping off some current movies. Russian campaign, instead of just the usual western forces.
Cons: Replaying it just recently, the obvious deficiency is the bullet proof fences etc.

COD4MW: 7/10
Pro: Cutscenes with viewpoint control allow for some cool sequences. Nice shooting mechanics. Genuine shocks from nukes etc.
Cons: Still CoD 1 with a fresh paint job and a new setting.

MW2: 5/10
Pro: some nice 'what if' scenarios in variety of locations. nice snow levels.
Cons: Story was ridiculous. Shocks were no longer shocking because they were expected. Still CoD 1 with a fresh paint job and a new setting.

BFBC2: 5/10
Pro: D2.0, solid shooting mechanics, nice WW2 level,
Cons: Weak story, 2D characters, out of bounds mortars. Pretty much CoD1 with a fresh paint job and a new setting.

Black Ops: 7/10
Pro: Interesting setting, nice cameos from famous politicians, nice selection of weapons
Cons: Horrible vehicle stages. Poor climax. Still CoD 1 with a fresh paint job and a new setting.

I went with CoD1 even though it isn't my favorite FPS SP (probably Jedi Knight) for consistency.

UFRA

Good news PS3 GAF. I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaack (for now).

I sold Black Ops after completing the single player and getting to level 50 online lol.

Just wasn't feeling it overall (graphically a step down from MW2, ugly guns, overwhelming money system). I re-bought MW2 again on eBay for like $30, but until that arrives to satisfy my casual shooting, I'm back to BC2 for a little while.

As usual, I'd plan to play nights around 10pm CST. No guarantees for tonight though since it's NFS:HP launch day.

Don't you mean back for a week? :lol

Gran Turismo 5

Edit: I"m not good for tonight at all. I'm sick with a dry throat and I'm still going to do the workout routine. Can't miss a day unless I'm bed ridden.

OldJadedGamer said:
So I've taken a long break waiting for the maps... I'm guessing there is no date on them yet?
nope, nothing official.

there are rumors of Dec 21st for Vietnam based on a page on the EA store.

it's at least a week, maybe two or three for VIP Map Pack #7.

UFRA

Crakatak187 said:
Don't you mean back for a week? :lol

Gran Turismo 5

Edit: I"m not good for tonight at all. I'm sick with a dry throat and I'm still going to do the workout routine. Can't miss a day unless I'm bed ridden.

Well, essentially...yeah lol I guess a week basically.

1stStrike said:
I got maybe an hour into the single player before I gave up on it out of pure boredom. I actually made it through Call of Duty: Black Ops single player, because the story was more interesting then BC2's, but I thought the guns sucked, and the game just didn't really interest me on anything outside of that.
I already know what to expect without playing it. Shooting gallery scripted events. I watched my friend play MW2 long ago and I thought to myself "This campaign would make me literally tired of shooting at shit". The guns felt like pea shooters since COD4; no recoil, and take way too less shots to kill somebody made me quit COD4 after a month.

My last match in COD4 I ran around knifing only from what I remember I died only twice and got 10 knife in a row.

COD2 is the only Call of Duty game I liked.

Snowballo

poppabk said:
CoD1: 9/10
Pro: Scripted sequences were still fresh. This was my first time defending against tanks by having to get to inconveniently placed rocket launchers. Cool setting, shamelessly ripping off some current movies. Russian campaign, instead of just the usual western forces.
Cons: Replaying it just recently, the obvious deficiency is the bullet proof fences etc.

COD4MW: 7/10
Pro: Cutscenes with viewpoint control allow for some cool sequences. Nice shooting mechanics. Genuine shocks from nukes etc.
Cons: Still CoD 1 with a fresh paint job and a new setting.

MW2: 5/10
Pro: some nice 'what if' scenarios in variety of locations. nice snow levels.
Cons: Story was ridiculous. Shocks were no longer shocking because they were expected. Still CoD 1 with a fresh paint job and a new setting.

BFBC2: 5/10
Pro: D2.0, solid shooting mechanics, nice WW2 level,
Cons: Weak story, 2D characters, out of bounds mortars. Pretty much CoD1 with a fresh paint job and a new setting.

Black Ops: 7/10
Pro: Interesting setting, nice cameos from famous politicians, nice selection of weapons
Cons: Horrible vehicle stages. Poor climax. Still CoD 1 with a fresh paint job and a new setting.

I went with CoD1 even though it isn't my favorite FPS SP (probably Jedi Knight) for consistency.

Thanks. Cruel but very interesting.
Have you tried Black (Criterion) and Halo?
And, this question for all, does BC1 deserve a chance considering its single player?

Snowballo said:
For you guys that are judging BC2's single player, I'd like you to compare it to MW, MW2 and your(s) best fps single player experience. Thanks.
If we're talking console FPS SP games only:

Timesplitters: Future Perfect (PS2): 9/10
Pros: great story, great characters, plenty of variety, great humour (without being too cheesy), great graphics (for the PS2), great controls
Cons: odd HUD

Black (PS2): 6/10
Pros: excellent graphics and audio, excellent weapons modelling
Cons: no story, abysmal gameplay and game design, poor level design

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: 9/10
Pros: excellent graphics despite being sub-HD (art, lighting, and 60fps are the reason), great animations, well modelled weapons, great writing, great voice acting, feels like you're in a big-budget action movie, responsive controls, slo-mo scenes add gravitas, felt like a new approach to FPS story-telling
Cons: audio was nothing special, infinite enemy spawns in places (although not that much of a problem for me)

Call of Duty: World at War: 6/10
Pros: the flamethrower was cool, COD4 engine
Cons: bad lighting, dull and uninspired writing, set pieces felt cliched, no attachment to characters

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: 8/10
Pros: engine still working well, weapon models still very good, animations still top notch, Spec Ops mode (technically MP I guess) was absolutely brilliant
Cons: story became way too over the top and lost any grounding in reality

Battlefield: Bad Company: 7.5/10
Pros: good humour, great vehicles, stunning audio, non-linear gameplay, weapons modelling was very good, great voice acting
Cons: fuzzy/blurry picture quality with strong grain filter, poor lighting, lacked the 'punch' of some competitors, scene where haggard waves his arms while running down the hill was cringeworthy

Battlefield: Bad Company 2: 8/10
Pros: audio set a new benchmark in gaming, graphics are excellent, great lighting and particle effects, excellent final level
Cons: humour toned down, characters rather non-descript, linear gameplay (with one exception, and that level was great), story is not particularly interesting, still lacked the 'punch' of some competitors despite the team throwing away humour and non-linear gameplay in pursuit of it

abuC

I'll probably be on later, it's gonna get wavy.

flossy3fhzl.gif

abuC

Coldsnap said:
Any good vehicle video guides out there? I strictly avoid them but would like to start using them
None that I know of, but the best thing to do is when you're attacking on Arica learn the shell arc for tanks. Stay at the spawn and shoot at random objects in the distance and make adjustments until you can hit what you're shooting at. Once you can reliably hit things while you're stationary try shooting at things while you're moving so you can see how much you need to lead your shots.

If you can hit what you're aiming at within 3 shots while on the move you're going to be a problem.

1stStrike

Banned
Well, I just finished Medal of Honor's single player and after beating COD: Black Ops single player yesterday - it's like night and day. Weapons, sounds, and story are all way better in MoH.

The only thing the story lacked was a real focal point. There was no bad guy, there was no real resolution of the story, and I didn't really feel like I acomplished anything in the end
(since my character died)

Still better then BC2's story though.

I'm kind of tempted to play multiplayer for MoH on PC and see how I like it vs BC2 on the PS3. Anyone tried it?

Razor210

BC2's campaign was one of the worst FPS campaigns I've played.

Poor AI on both sides, and the "we always know where you are" enemies got annoying after a while.

And the fact that the enemies would all shoot at you the instant you moved out of cover just slowed the pace of the game down a lot.

1stStrike

Banned
Razor210 said:
BC2's campaign was one of the worst FPS campaigns I've played.

Poor AI on both sides, and the "we always know where you are" enemies got annoying after a while.

And the fact that the enemies would all shoot at you the instant you moved out of cover just slowed the pace of the game down a lot.

That happened in MoH too. They had snipers in this game that would instantly fuck you up as soon as you peeked your head out of cover. There was even a couple spots where I'd die, then start from the check point to have some random taliban guy right across from me immediately shooting me at me. I died 3 times in a row at one check point because as soon as it started I was getting shot from 2 different spots =\

abuC

First game back 12-1, second game back 51-3, 3rd game 49-12, thought I'd be a lot worse off. Played a few games with Evolved, we stomped the opposing teams out something serious.

Faceless re-add me mannneeeeeeeee.

The Faceless Master said:
nope, nothing official.

there are rumors of Dec 21st for Vietnam based on a page on the EA store.

it's at least a week, maybe two or three for VIP Map Pack #7.

Well, that sucks. I'll jump back in when the maps are released. I miss the old girl but she needs to spice it up in bed for me to come back.

The Faceless Master said:
BC1's single player was better. more fun and freedom.

But worse controls and bad achievements IMO.

OldJadedGamer said:
Well, that sucks. I'll jump back in when the maps are released. I miss the old girl but she needs to spice it up in bed for me to come back.

But worse controls and bad achievements IMO.
yeah, a few of the achievements were pretty fucked up, but the controls were better, minut the C4 planting and hold to sprint instead of click to sprint. plus BC1 had STICKDRIVE!

1stStrike

Banned
I'm downloading the PS3 update now (3.50 or something) and then... watching a harry potter marathon with my grandmother before the 4th movie comes out on Saturday.

Don't judge me :eek:

Fersis

poppabk said:
So Cold War is another vehicle-less rush snow level?
Whitepass 2.0

Hope the MComs are outside of buildings. :lol

abuC said:
First game back 12-1, second game back 51-3, 3rd game 49-12, thought I'd be a lot worse off. Played a few games with Evolved, we stomped the opposing teams out something serious.

According to players on the ea US & UK forums, it seems like Black Ops have just left all the crappy players behind in BC2. People are popping up crazy k/d stories left and right...

abuC

Eternal Sleeper said:
According to players on the ea US & UK forums, it seems like Black Ops have just left all the crappy players behind in BC2. People are popping up crazy k/d stories left and right...

Actually, those kind of games are within my normal range, it's just that I didn't expect to play well in general.

abuC said:

but you're on my friends list!

Eternal Sleeper said:
i guess that explains why my KDR is going up again!

poppabk said:
So Cold War is another vehicle-less rush snow level?
this time it's downhill! man i wish they'd fix White Pass.

poppabk

1stStrike said:
I'm kind of tempted to play multiplayer for MoH on PC and see how I like it vs BC2 on the PS3. Anyone tried it?
Only played the beta but its like they took BC2 and removed all the stuff that makes it really great - squads, vehicles, decent size maps, significant class differences etc.

Fersis

Tomorrow they will show Harvest Day, maybe next week we will get the patch + MP7?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Fersis said:
Tomorrow they will show Harvest Day, maybe next week we will get the patch + MP7?

I hope at least before thanksgiving break... I have 5 days off. :D

Top Bottom