• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best PS5 pulse 3d EQ settings for shooters and balanced for other games?

jorgejjvr

Curious what y'all use.

I'm thinking of things liked cod and Apex on the shooter's side, and like horizon forbidden West for sp

im also assuming some of these games are good with 3d audio, others arent

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
good sound is good sound.
And I think Pulse 3d sounds fantastic as is. I would not touch the EQ but you do you.
Why not try the presets and see what sounds best ?

Bartski

Gold Member
Bold theory that the Pulse headset has a flat response without EQ adjustment.
I never said it has a flat response. No headset has a flat response ever and a lot of that is compensated for in the output with no UI control. Flat SETTING is as close as you're gonna get to the dev's intention without tweaks if you don't know what you're doing and/or have no measurements to back it up.

recursive

I never said it has a flat response. No headset has a flat response ever and a lot of that is compensated for in the output with no UI control. Flat SETTING is as close as you're gonna get to the dev's intention without tweaks if you don't know what you're doing and/or have no measurements to back it up.
Audio engineers use some pretty sophisticated studio monitor equipment. I can guarantee that the Pulse 3d are not as the dev's "intended" as you say. Numerous headphones are designed with a v curve for example. You stating that eq adjustment is for those with hearing deficit is complete bullshit.

Audio engineers use some pretty sophisticated studio monitor equipment. I can guarantee that the Pulse 3d are not as the dev's "intended" as you say. Numerous headphones are designed with a v curve for example. You stating that eq adjustment is for those with hearing deficit is complete bullshit.
I hate v curve headphones. With a passion. Just about every "gaming" headset, minus audeze, and a couple other brands, feature a big v curve. Bass boosted, barely any mids, and a big bump on the higher end. Sounds like poop. Everyone, get some reference headphones, and call it a day. You can get better quality, for similar and some times cheaper than gaming headsets.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate v curve headphones. With a passion. Just about every "gaming" headset, minus audeze, and a couple other brands, feature a big v curve. Bass boosted, barely any mids, and a big bump on the higher end. Sounds like poop. Everyone, get some reference headphones, and call it a day. You can get better quality, for similar and some times cheaper than gaming headsets.
Flat audio engineers headphones are overrated af. Makes everything sound wrong.
There are headphones to analyse the sound and the. There are headphones to have fun listening with.
I remember being super hyped about the flat perfect sound. Got myself fiio e10k and brainwavz hm5(a loved reference headphone at the time) and I really tried but it was dry and boring.
I switched back to koss porta pro which sounds alive, fun and makes the music so vibrant but without over bloated.
Sure, overdone bass is just as bad but not many headphones are doing this for years now. The studio reference bs is so much hype, it is actually hard to find a proper fun sounding headphones.
I had quite a lot and Pulse 3d is my main now. It actually sounds really similar to koss porta pro. Just a bit more detailed and with lower sub capability. But it’s not blowing on bass all the time. Just when it should.

Bartski

Gold Member
Audio engineers use some pretty sophisticated studio monitor equipment. I can guarantee that the Pulse 3d are not as the dev's "intended" as you say. Numerous headphones are designed with a v curve for example.
They use that "sophisticated studio monitor equipment" in order for their product to sound good on any type of playback system, from high-end to consumer garbage.
With special attention always paid to lowest common denominator systems and formats. Such is the Pulse 3D as a potential, very popular reproduction system. So yes, every conscious dev making a game for Playstation 5 is very well aware of how it will sound on those, at least when they're set up correctly. Hence it is always closer to the intention than whatever you're doing to yourself there to compensate for the V curve I assume.
Ultra shitty low and high boosting "gaming headphones", "dre beats" and alike is another can of worms, and by equalizing the output you're most likely just making it worse. Nobody is stopping you.
You stating that eq adjustment is for those with hearing deficit is complete bullshit.
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Here is what I use to get a true balanced sound.

This guy is boosting 4-10khz frequencies db wise which is technically piercing. Any adjustment that is outside of the default flat settings in the frequency is not a "true balanced sound". You are going against the original creator's / mastering sound mix. But if the headphones are shitty to begin with, you would have to do slight adjusting on the mixer eq to fix it.

Last edited:
Flat audio engineers headphones are overrated af. Makes everything sound wrong.
There are headphones to analyse the sound and the. There are headphones to have fun listening with.
I remember being super hyped about the flat perfect sound. Got myself fiio e10k and brainwavz hm5(a loved reference headphone at the time) and I really tried but it was dry and boring.
I switched back to koss porta pro which sounds alive, fun and makes the music so vibrant but without over bloated.
Sure, overdone bass is just as bad but not many headphones are doing this for years now. The studio reference bs is so much hype, it is actually hard to find a proper fun sounding headphones.
I had quite a lot and Pulse 3d is my main now. It actually sounds really similar to koss porta pro. Just a bit more detailed and with lower sub capability. But it’s not blowing on bass all the time. Just when it should.
Wait what? Not many headphones manufacturers are overdoing the bass? Since when? Literally almost every single gaming headset made over the past few years have a huge hump in the lower and upper frequencies. Meaning a big bump in the bass and highs, while having muddy, recessed mids. There is no fun in that. Having flat RESPONSE allows you to enjoy how it's meant to be. Using Equalizer APO and making your own V curve >>> V curve headphones.

Your option about sound is perfectly fine, as it is what suits you. But for those who really enjoy audio, your opinion won't go far at all. There's so many headphones that sound much better and cost less than pulse 3d. It's a V curve as well. Far from flat.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For Horizon FW I use Shooter preset because the overall audio is kinda low. I go Default/Shooter depending on the game.

This guy is boosting 4-10khz frequencies db wise which is technically piercing. Any adjustment that is outside of the default flat settings in the frequency is not a "true balanced sound". You are going against the original creator's / mastering sound mix. But if the headphones are shitty to begin with, you would have to do slight adjusting on the mixer eq to fix it.
The way I understood it is the video's creator was tweaking the EQ to compensate for deficiencies in the sound reproduction of the Pulse3d based off the sound reproduction profiles for this particular headphones from rtings.com.

These headphones have a somewhat well-balanced but warm sound profile. Their flat, even mid-range should yield clear and present vocals and lead instruments. Unfortunately, their underemphasized low-bass range may rob some sound effects of sufficient thump and rumble. Also, their uneven treble range can veil the details of some higher notes. On the upside, if you're gaming on a PS5, once you've updated your console to the most recent firmware, you can access three EQ presets as well as a graphic EQ to help you adjust their sound to your liking.

The treble accuracy of these headphones is poor. The range is wholly underemphasized, resulting in a loss of clarity for vocals and lead instruments as well as lispy and dull sibilants. That said, since their treble delivery can vary depending on their fit, seal, and positioning, your experience may vary.

So in essence he is saying the sound profile for the Pulse3d are not flat naturally and lack in certain frequencies so he adjusted them to compensate.

I am no expert but switching between this custom profile, flat and shooter it sounds much cleaner and better to my ears.

Last edited:
Top Bottom