• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 pro games performance and resolution of patreon Digital Foundry

You find it surprising that a channel specifically focused on tech analysis of games and hardware is producing content about new hardware and doing a tech analysis of high quality media from the new hardware?

Suspicious Will Smith GIF
Doing 5 videos a day for probably the next 2 months is kinda stupid and now they are locking content behind Patreon too

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Saw half of it. They love PSSR. Even in the showings, that are boring nice IQ Sony games, are happy with the results. Change FSR for PSSR and call it a day cleans the image as we expected so even the more lazy ports will benefit a lot (you’ll see it in the DD2 clip tomorrow). The box is what we all expected here: the “get rid of FSR box”.

Edit: by the way, the guy who said that he was pretty happy with PSSR in its first iteration was non other than mister Batalla. There is room for improvement but this is a very solid first step.
Has it been uploaded somewhere that us bums can watch?

kevboard

Sorry, what? Why does it need to do that? Performance RT is a 60fps mode already.

performance RT lowers the amount of objects like the people in the audience in the intro mission, and the general draw distance for some objectes.

probably to make the game less CPU intensive. adding RT increases CPU load, so that's basically a balancing act of CPU resources

So any Playstation fans on here going to skip the Pro and just wait for PS6?.

I dont really get this upgrade, it seems to offer very little compared to the Pro consoles of last gen. Then again i feel even the Xbox5/PS6 are only really going to offer current gen games but at higher rez, maybe 60fps, and better RT.
I'm not exactly a PlayStation fan (since I always buy every console of each generation, though this is the first time I'm skipping Xbox) but I'm definately getting a PS5 Pro.

The sad part, as always, is dealing with the price due to the EXTREMELY HIGH TAXES here in Brazil. But I really want this console. (And I'm desperate for the Switch 2...)

I just cant stand the horrible image quality or performance of some PS5 games...like FF7 Rebirth and it's image quality (in the performance mode) or FF16 and it's wild framerate in the performance mode. I think the PS5 Pro will greatly improve those situations.

But at the same time, I really think those situations happen, in part, because developers, for whatever reason (development complexity, lack of time and manpower or not using proper engines), are releasing games that are not truly optimized for current gen consoles.

But I welcome the PS5 Pro and I'm eager to play my games on it.

NEbeast

Calm down, sorry to hurt your feelings fps warrior, I don't mean exactly ps2 I said it because I hate that 60fps narrative, but I also you can find many titles which have performance mode and you can compare it to it fedilty mode and see deference by yourself (many games have lower than 720p native resolution in performance mode)
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm really not a tech guy but I expected a bit more upgrade than that. 🤷‍♂️

I'm most curious how Unreal 5 games will get upgraded. A lot of those are 30 fps. Guess we'll see.

I don't think you and some others seem to understand what's happening here. Quality mode but at 60 fps is only seen as a good thing. Why would you expect even more?

Allandor

Just lower your expectations. There is only a bit more bandwidth in that console, without more memory, so no wonders expected.

But I must say, at this premium price (2x PS5 digital), I would expect more memory.

I also wonder how many of the 60fps uplifts are there thanks to frame gen support., as the CPU didn't see a major uplift (also much lower than on ps4 pro).

Reactions: KU_

Msamy

I don't think you and some others seem to understand what's happening here. Quality mode but at 60 fps is only seen as a good thing. Why would you expect even more?
Native resolution less than 1080p is not something good even with rtx DLSS they need to keep quality at 30fps and performance at 60 fps just as ps5 with better graphics for both options

mckmas8808

#1: Sell your PS5
#2: Skip PS5 Pro
#3: Get into PC gaming
#4: Skip PS6 launch
#5: Re-evaluate Playstation when the PS6 Pro comes out

You may be joking, but half the people in all PS5 Pro threads are basically leading with this 5 step approach. I imagine some are ex-Xbox warriors still fighting "that fight" from history's past.

HogIsland

Phase 1: Sell PS5
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit

I’m using the profit to buy a PS5 Pro though.
i'm not trolling. there is no big playstation first party exclusive for this year and at least through march. the main one we know is coming is Death Stranding 2. That could be holiday 2025 for all we know. if worst case scenario to selling ps5 is that there's a surprise Last of Us 3 also for holiday 2025, ok maybe rebuy when that happens. but you'll still have the option to wait for the pc versions, and i believe those waits will get shorter.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Is the same info included in this?

That’s the video, yes.
i'm not trolling. there is no big playstation first party exclusive for this year and at least through march. the main one we know is coming is Death Stranding 2. That could be holiday 2025 for all we know. if worst case scenario to selling ps5 is that there's a surprise Last of Us 3 also for holiday 2025, ok maybe rebuy when that happens. but you'll still have the option to wait for the pc versions, and i believe those waits will get shorter.
I personally hate it and don’t plan to buy it, but folks around here are pretty interested in something about robbing cars next year. So, maybe that?

Last edited:

HogIsland

That’s the video, yes.

I personally hate it and don’t plan to buy it, but folks around here are pretty interested in something about robbing cars next year. So, maybe that?
i just hope those fools see the collapse of xbox, see the series of breakout hits on PC in the last few years, see the potential of china that Wukong demonstrated, fuck see their own success with gta online, and come to their sense on expediting that PC port. i'll wait until they do. still haven't beat gta4 or gta5.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

If you were an older dude with a wife and kids you would know the living room TV is for the family and your home office is the perfect room to escape for some PC gaming alone time.

Or do you make your wife and kids sit and watch you rage at video games in the middle of the living room like a true deadbeat middle age dude?

Or some of us have an extra space (lets call it a man cave) that's not an office or the living room where our console and surround sound system is in.

Wonder why pc gamers are so desperate to convince people their preferred platform is the best one, downplaying the fact that some games will take a year or longer to come out while others like demons souls remake and bloodborne have yet to ever make it over. I already have a PC, so I'm not impacted either way, but to say outlandish things like 'there are plenty of games to play' when referring to gta6, probably the most highly anticipated game currently is just nonsense.

Because many of them are ex-Xbox fanboys. They are new PC gamers by default, by how badly Xbox has treated them.

>Microsoft
>A company focused on AI

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Microsoft as always is late to the party and will probably give up once they realize how hopeless it is. Most incompetent big company in the world.

Ummm... Microsoft has spent over $10 Billion on A.I. You might want to take that back.

Radical_3d

i just hope those fools see the collapse of xbox, see the series of breakout hits on PC in the last few years, see the potential of china that Wukong demonstrated, fuck see their own success with gta online, and come to their sense on expediting that PC port. i'll wait until they do. still haven't beat gta4 or gta5.
Yes, R* is very concerned about what happens to a division of Microsoft and the roaring success of a game that in China cost $40 and probably will amend their sins. Ooooor… they’ll make you all double dip again since you all love that stupid gangsters game and you’ve proven them time and again that you buy more versions of it than of Skyrim.

mckmas8808

Like I said......these guys are BEGGING people to spend 4 figures on the PC, instead of us spending $350-450 upgrading to a PS5 Pro. It's amazing LOL!!!!

HogIsland

Yes, R* is very concerned about what happens to a division of Microsoft and the roaring success of a game that in China cost $40 and probably will amend their sins. Ooooor… they’ll make you all double dip again since you all love that stupid gangsters game and you’ve proven them time and again that you buy more versions of it than of Skyrim.
do you think they're not concerned that one of the two platforms they're currently committed to supporting at launch is falling apart?

rockstar's track record of transparently squeezing us for the double dip is why i'm waiting this time.

kevboard

Like I said......these guys are BEGGING people to spend 4 figures on the PC, instead of us spending $350-450 upgrading to a PS5 Pro. It's amazing LOL!!!!

you could also sell your PS5 and get a PC that's more powerful than the Pro for only marginally more money.

in Europe it is in fact the exact same price, so you don't save a penny over here if you get a pro instead of a decent PC

Top Bottom