• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 pro games performance and resolution of patreon Digital Foundry

jm89

pLMsHpo.jpeg
PC gamers are the jehovas witnesses of the gaming world.

93l7re.jpg

Radical_3d

Saw half of it. They love PSSR. Even in the showings, that are boring nice IQ Sony games, are happy with the results. Change FSR for PSSR and call it a day cleans the image as we expected so even the more lazy ports will benefit a lot (you’ll see it in the DD2 clip tomorrow). The box is what we all expected here: the “get rid of FSR box”.

Edit: by the way, the guy who said that he was pretty happy with PSSR in its first iteration was non other than mister Batalla. There is room for improvement but this is a very solid first step.

Last edited:
Saw half of it. They love PSSR. Even in the showings, that are boring nice IQ Sony games, are happy with the results. Change FSR for PSSR and call it a day cleans the image as we expected so even the more lazy ports will benefit a lot (you’ll see it in the DD2 clip tomorrow). The box is what we all expected here: the “get rid of FSR box”.
Yup I can't wait it's gonna be amazing

AGRacing

Original text called Hogwart's Legacy "Wizard Game".
In maybe a year… when AI upscaling gets so good it’s 99% the quality of native resolution… the REAL contribution to gaming will be eliminating the “need” for the dork with the soul patch and the other dork who wears a leash in his free time.

Ronin_7

Edit: by the way, the guy who said that he was pretty happy with PSSR in its first iteration was non other than mister Batalla. There is room for improvement but this is a very solid first step.
Thank you very much.

PSSR will be a game changer in Console gaming as expected, by November 7th i expect the poor economical lads to be hating us badly.

Gonna be insane 🔥

Topher

Gold Member

PSSR may be what seals the deal for me. I leave and breathe DLSS on PC so if I have the opportunity to get something comparable on PlayStation then I'm all in.

Radical_3d

Thank you very much.

PSSR will be a game changer in Console gaming as expected, by November 7th i expect the poor economical lads to be hating us badly.

Gonna be insane 🔥

PSSR may be what seals the deal for me. I leave and breathe DLSS on PC so if I have the opportunity to get something comparable on PlayStation then I'm all in.
On November 7th I’ll be hating you both while I solely save gaming and my wallet.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Let's stop this shit of Sony playing 4D-chess. They fucked up the reveal, poorly communicated their message, and asked $700 without a disc drive after showing videos where they had to zoom in for consumers to spot the differences. A 9-minute presentation by your lead architect who didn't even look like he was enthusiastic isn't how it's done. This was an amateur job, not some stroke of genius by them. Their saving grace is that they're effectively the only player in the premium console market. Xbox is completely irrelevant, so the Pro should sell alright regardless.

Still, this whole pretense that this was all calculated is comical. What they should have done is showcase the ray tracing capabilities. Ironic that Cerny said it was 2-3x faster, yet they didn't even show it during the reveal and instead focused on resolution and frame rate bumps, which is moronic. Marketing has always been about graphics and Sony miscalculated by thinking players would give a shit about 60fps in Quality based on their data that showed that 75% of players pick performance mode. What they should have done is wow the crowd with a proper RT showcase and then let everyone sitting at home pick performance mode anyway.

This was a gaffe by Sony. Let's call it like it is.

Its not 4-D chess, when the marketing-plan is as obvious as this one!

Serious question; do you actually believe any of this will be relevant come November?

Bottom line is that what matters is what's available day#1 and in what state. This is the exact equivalent of announcing a new GPU (except ironically at a lower than a average price for a flagship model :D ), not a platform launch.

Once again, this is an additional PS5 SKU, not a whole new generation. The main thing Sony will be caring about is shifting as many regular PS5's as possible this holiday season. Which is why they were careful not to overshadow their main offering in the presentation.

Also, gotta be honest, but I think you are vastly overestimating the value of RT as a sales driver. PSSR is a way, way bigger deal imho.

Last edited:

sachos

Lets hope they can improve some of those games for launch and that they can keep improving PSSR like Nvidia does with DLSS.
Im a bit dissapointed that Ratchet has to lower the graphics settings to Performance RT instead of running the Fidelity ones at 60fps like you would think.
It seems like GT7 is running Balanced up to 4K, i hoped it could do at least Quality given that the base game already runs pretty good on PS5.
The sub 900p resolutions also are dissapointing but it seems like they are using Balanced like settings upscaling to 1440p, instead of using Performance and upscaling to 4K like i expected them to do. Would upscaling to 4K in that case be that much more expensive that they NEED to do Balanced up to 1440p?

Now one annoying thing is reading all the bad takes about low internal resolutions totally ignoring the poing of something like PSSR or DLSS. Like do you make fun of someone running DLSS Balanced with their 1440p monitor (835p)?

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Most here in GAF are old farts. Console gamers here are not youngsters that you can captivate with your free software rebel scum propaganda. We’re mostly ex-PC gamers tired of the utterly BS that is PC gaming and not locked on our rooms anymore. At most, like me, they keep a PC around for the authentic PC gaming experience of slow ass one more turn games.
That's why Pro PC gamers have a PC handheld and a gaming rig 😀

I've been enjoying better gfx than PS Pro for the past year and a half.

TrueLegend

Thats 1440p dlss balanced btw. i wouldve thought they would at least get to 4k dlss performance (1080p) but maybe the GPU uplift isnt that great or they are running into memory bandwidth issues at 4k.

this is performing more like a 3070 than a 3080 owing to the meager 45% uplift in raw gpu horsepower.

still, the good news is that 1440p dlss balanced mode should remove all the shimmering and foliage ghosting FSR2 introduces at those low resolutions. it wont look as good as the 4k image you will get in fidelity modes on ps5, but it will look cleaner if that makes sense.
I agree with you but this is a bit disappointing. Alan Wake 2 on 3070 can get to 4k with DLSS performance mode and has no problems in resolve. It looks very good. 1080 also sits wells with 4k grid so the performance resolve of DLSS at 4k has always been superb but 864p doesn't bode well considering the first party titles on PS5 didn't needed PSSR, but the UE5 absolutely do. Now you got RE engine, AC engine heavily loaded with RT and well that is not going to help image quality on Pro. With no disc drive and even higher price than 700usd in other regions this does appears more of a miss than hit. I was hoping there was some custom memory bandwidth solution but well if its really that close to 3070 I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I agree with you but this is a bit disappointing. Alan Wake 2 on 3070 can get to 4k with DLSS performance mode and has no problems in resolve. It looks very good. 1080 also sits wells with 4k grid so the performance resolve of DLSS at 4k has always been superb but 864p doesn't bode well considering the first party titles on PS5 didn't needed PSSR, but the UE5 absolutely do. Now you got RE engine, AC engine heavily loaded with RT and well that is not going to help image quality on Pro. With no disc drive and even higher price than 700usd in other regions this does appears more of a miss than hit. I was hoping there was some custom memory bandwidth solution but well if its really that close to 3070 I don't think it's worth it.
Or maybe the patch issn't done yet or Remedy did the bare minimum work on it.

Time to chill out. If their patch does nothing but swap out FSR for PSSR, that has nothing to do with the hardware itself.

Last edited:

Bojji

the moment XeSS finally becomes open source it could be used on Series X.
Microsoft should maybe be a bit more proactive and talk directly with Intel to get XeSS on their system.

I think Xess is too heavy for xbox, performance difference vs fsr2 would probably make developers not use it.

kevboard

I think Xess is too heavy for xbox, performance difference vs fsr2 would probably make developers not use it.

I use it on the Steam Deck and it is far superior to FSR2. yes, it perfoms worse than FSR2 (logically) but that tradeoff is worth it.
it could result in the devs having to use a lower internal resolution, but the final image can often still look superior to FSR2

(I might post some comparison images later)

Bojji

I use it on the Steam Deck and it is far superior to FSR2. yes, it perfoms worse than FSR2 (logically) but that tradeoff is worth it.
it could result in the devs having to use a lower internal resolution, but the final image can often still look superior to FSR2

(I might post some comparison images later)

After they changed naming they have lower resolutions using the same names (but I have no doubt that with better IQ compared to FSR):

T1ILIck.jpeg
X6XHkGN.jpeg
rIpJlMZ.jpeg

Performance hit on Xbox GPU would be a bit bigger for sure but this doesn't look too bad TBH...

kevboard

After they changed naming they have lower resolutions using the same names (but I have no doubt that with better IQ compared to FSR):

T1ILIck.jpeg
X6XHkGN.jpeg
rIpJlMZ.jpeg

Performance hit on Xbox GPU would be a bit bigger for sure but this doesn't look too bad TBH...

sadly Gori doesn't have FSR2, only XeSS and DLSS.

but here is Gori on the Deck (tha FPS overlay doesn't get recorded but I noted the FPS on each)

XeSS Quality:
7Tb7bLE.jpeg

~105 fps

XeSS Balanced:
B7TgMDY.jpeg

~115fps

Native TAA:
kFVZk3e.jpeg

~93fps

Last edited:

boris1979

Neo Member
Thats 1440p dlss balanced btw. i wouldve thought they would at least get to 4k dlss performance (1080p) but maybe the GPU uplift isnt that great or they are running into memory bandwidth issues at 4k.

this is performing more like a 3070 than a 3080 owing to the meager 45% uplift in raw gpu horsepower.

still, the good news is that 1440p dlss balanced mode should remove all the shimmering and foliage ghosting FSR2 introduces at those low resolutions. it wont look as good as the 4k image you will get in fidelity modes on ps5, but it will look cleaner if that makes sense.
No. It wont be 1440p final res. It will be 1700p -4k final res. So every chance it will look better or similar than 30 fps on ps5.

Ozriel

M$FT
>Microsoft
>A company focused on AI

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Microsoft as always is late to the party and will probably give up once they realize how hopeless it is. Most incompetent big company in the world.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, MS has some of the largest investments in AI in all of tech.

The fact that factions inside Microsoft wanted to push for tech this generation and it got shot down will never not be funny to me. Microsoft just can't get out of its own way sometimes.

Source?

Top Bottom