• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 pro games performance and resolution of patreon Digital Foundry

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It exactly what it was. And sony thought it was a good idea to send this over to DF instead of waiting a bit more than a month to get the hardware into DF and the medias hands.

This whole thing is a PR disaster. Now we don't have footage comparing to the base ps5 and just pixel counting and speculation from a few scenes for most games in that 7 minutes long footage.

The lackluster presentation, the price shocked, and now this. Yikes, who is in charge of sony PR?

Said this before, gonna say it again. Noone should care that much about DF. They are like EDGE magazine, all mouth, no trousers.

I do not give a flying fuck what they think, and neither should you.

More to the point, I highly doubt Sony care either. Hence them getting no reveal day direct access, CNET got it instead.

I'm fairly confident Sony's gameplan was to get the reveal done, the price-point shock out of the way, let the usual suspects bitch and chatter, then do a proper build-up leading to launch in November. Starting with a heavier than usual SoP fairly soon.

Here's the truth: Pro will sell itself, as technologically is head and shoulders above its console competition. If the upscaling tech is comparable with XESS/DLSS then the straight GPU uplift will get the job done.

There is no reason to doubt this, its a straight upgrade on the GPU with additional NPU-style bells and whistles and AMD's latest GPU ISA.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Nope, I am buying the Pro
AEm8Nd8.gif

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I'm fairly confident Sony's gameplan was to get the reveal done, the price-point shock out of the way, let the usual suspects bitch and chatter, then do a proper build-up leading to launch in November. Starting with a heavier than usual SoP fairly soon.

Here's the truth: Pro will sell itself, as technologically is head and shoulders above its console competition. If the upscaling tech is comparable with XESS/DLSS then the straight GPU uplift will get the job done.

There is no reason to doubt this, its a straight upgrade on the GPU with additional NPU-style bells and whistles and AMD's latest GPU ISA.
Probably the best assessment I've read so far!

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
So any Playstation fans on here going to skip the Pro and just wait for PS6?.

I dont really get this upgrade, it seems to offer very little compared to the Pro consoles of last gen. Then again i feel even the Xbox5/PS6 are only really going to offer current gen games but at higher rez, maybe 60fps, and better RT.
Not a PS fan, but we’ll have to wait and see how well games look and perform when the Pro drops. The upgrade sounds dreadful on paper, but what does that mean for the Series X and base PS5. Interesting times ahead.

HogIsland

So any Playstation fans on here going to skip the Pro and just wait for PS6?.

I dont really get this upgrade, it seems to offer very little compared to the Pro consoles of last gen. Then again i feel even the Xbox5/PS6 are only really going to offer current gen games but at higher rez, maybe 60fps, and better RT.
imo the lesson of PS5 is don't buy the launch console. there will be a cross-gen period for at least 3 years. you'll be paying a premium for the hot new shit with nothing exciting to play. if you want to keep gaming on Playstation, skip launch, and wait for the Pro upgrade.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Remember this all from ps5 exclusive gameplay video provided to digital Foundry :-

The Last of Part 2 - 1440p internal resolution at 60fps in this PS5 Pro Mode (same as PS5 Performance Mode) with improved image quality due to PSSR

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Between 1440p and 1800p internal resolution (roughly the PS5 Quality Mode at 40fps) at 60fps in this PS5 Pro mode with the same settings as the PS5 Performance Mode and using PSSR to bring it up to 4K

Alan Wake 2 - Two modes shown (864p at 60fps & 1260p at 30fps) which is the same as the base PS5 modes and they presume it's using PSSR and not the FSR in base PS5. 60fps clip has SSR but the 30fps clip could have RT.

Horizon Forbidden West - resolution didn't look 4K. They presume it's not using PSSR but hard to tell. Thinking it is using 4K checkerboard but again hard to tell. PS5 vs PS5 Pro has the Pro with higher detail.
Harry potter hograts legacy : RT reflections looks better on the PS5 Pro but has some visual noise in the background. RT shadows might be mixed with SSR but look to be an improvement over base PS5. 30 fps in the footage but the presume it'll have 60fps modes as the base PS5 has it.

Gram Turismo 7 - RT reflections in game appear to be quarter resolution (1080p). 8k mode. Lower resolution (1188p) in the PS5 Pro footage and probably using PSSR to bring it up to 4K where the base game without RT reflections is a Native 4K. RT looks better than Forza Motorsport.

Dragon's Dogma 2 / Assassins Creed Shadows - DG2 looks to be running at 60fps and might be using PSSR. ACS looks to be running at 864p at 60fps

Source:-

Looks like barely a difference.

There were bigger jumps in visuals going from PS4 to PS4 Pro, or One to One X. And that doesn't even include other things like getting HDR10, One X with a 4k drive, some games getting frames doubled, or that the Pro systems last gen were more reasonably priced compared to the OG models. And PS4 Pro and One X still had optical drives included.

Last edited:

Kangx

Said this before, gonna say it again. Noone should care that much about DF. They are like EDGE magazine, all mouth, no trousers.

I do not give a flying fuck what they think, and neither should you.

More to the point, I highly doubt Sony care either. Hence them getting no reveal day direct access, CNET got it instead.

Well, we just need to wait for a bit more than a month then. Until then, let us enjoy the toxicity of the internet.

Radical_3d

I’m thinking about paying the Patreon for that 16GB file of goodness but it pisses me off that the 2 games I care about are not covered: Space Marine and Final Fantasy.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Dragon's Dogma 2 (...) looks to be running at 60fps
I wonder if they tested the city. If that could run at 60 it could mean very good news for the console bros since that area is heavily CPU dependant.

I have my doubts tho.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
There are gaming PCs more powerful than PS5 Pro and significantly smaller.

kv.jpg

Soon SteamOS will run on them. There's your console with no compromises in any room you like.

No compromises?

RawbL2J.png

And that starting price is for a 4060 laptop GPU, 512GB SSD

Last edited:

Mr Moose

No compromises?

RawbL2J.png

And that starting price is for a 4060 laptop GPU, 512GB SSD
Only $2,199.00 for a 4070 with 8GB GDDR6, bargain.

FireFly

There are gaming PCs more powerful than PS5 Pro and significantly smaller.

Soon SteamOS will run on them. There's your console with no compromises in any room you like.
I think you would need an ASUS NUC with a laptop 4080 to exceed the performance of the PS5 Pro, and as far as I am aware such a thing does not exist. It probably would be over $2.5K though if it did.

It would be possible, and much more cost effective, to build your own Mini-ITX PC with a desktop 4070 in it, but as you get closer to the size of the PS5 Pro, you will find it more of a pain to build in.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Given that PSSR is an upscaling solution, the most important thing I want to know is how does it ultimately look, and what is the magnitude of the upscale. If it's better than DLSS, that's impressive. If it's not better than DLSS, it's whatever. If it's worse than FSR, that's embarassing.

Topher

Gold Member
Wonder how much longer it’ll be. I really can’t wait.

I'm hoping before the end of the year. Valve said after the OLED release that it was a priority.

A lot depends on Nvidia drivers though if we are talking about the big screen experience.

Last edited:

Taycan77

Looks like barely a difference.

There were bigger jumps in visuals going from PS4 to PS4 Pro, or One to One X. And that doesn't even include other things like getting HDR10, One X with a 4k drive, some games getting frames doubled, or that the Pro systems last gen were more reasonably priced compared to the OG models. And PS4 Pro and One X still had optical drives included.
PS4 Pro offered a resolution jump from 1080p to 1440p, with Checkerboard Rendering on top. Very few titles offered graphical improvements other than minor texture or LOD updates. Without a 4K TV improvements where negligible. In fact the biggest benefit we got was HDR, which appeared on both consoles.

Speaking in general terms, PS5 Pro is offering a significant image quality improvment while doubling framerates (compared to Quality mode). On top of this additional graphical improvements and ray tracing will become the norm. With each dev picking and choosing the areas to focus on.

I can perfectly understand someone being wary about the price, or not needing the machine because they have a high spec PC. But lets not pretend PS5 Pro is not going to be a very significant bump over base PS5 and Series X.

Last edited:

digdug2

Consoles are a fixed point. Modern consoles are usually at least a year behind PC tech when they release. The fact that we get mid-gen refreshes just reinforces that they aren't future proof.
Of course they aren't future proof. I can't name too many consumer electronics items that are actually future proof beyond 4-5 years.

yurinka

I wouldn't take a lot of conclussions from a youtube video that pretty likely was shooted several months before the conosle releas.e

We'll see what the real numbers are after its release.

Radical_3d

Downloading. Will post impressions later. Will post disappointment over no Space Marine 2 later as well. C’mon, Saber! Hurry up already!

sncvsrtoip

Gold Member
You weren't talking about sub-1080p.

But that's besides the point, if PSSR can create better IQ than native 4K from lower resolutions, it doesn't matter.
Why waste resources then?

I'd rather have them push graphics or fps.
It can from 1440p, from lower internal will be defenitly not at 4k native level

Nope, I am buying the Pro
Same here and I think people who are saying it does less than the PS4 Pro did aren't looking at the bigger picture. All we got with that was checkerboarded upscaling, this can do so much more, just because a few old games haven't shown that yet in a DF analysis of a few seconds of footage doesn't mean it won't do a lot more as time goes on, at least with 1st party.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Same here and I think people who are saying it does less than the PS4 Pro did aren't looking at the bigger picture. All we got with that was checkerboarded upscaling, this can do so much more, just because a few old games haven't shown that yet in a DF analysis of a few seconds of footage doesn't mean it won't do a lot more as time goes on, at least with 1st party.
Lets see what people are saying soon

funny face smile GIF

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Let's stop this shit of Sony playing 4D-chess. They fucked up the reveal, poorly communicated their message, and asked $700 without a disc drive after showing videos where they had to zoom in for consumers to spot the differences. A 9-minute presentation by your lead architect who didn't even look like he was enthusiastic isn't how it's done. This was an amateur job, not some stroke of genius by them. Their saving grace is that they're effectively the only player in the premium console market. Xbox is completely irrelevant, so the Pro should sell alright regardless.

Still, this whole pretense that this was all calculated is comical. What they should have done is showcase the ray tracing capabilities. Ironic that Cerny said it was 2-3x faster, yet they didn't even show it during the reveal and instead focused on resolution and frame rate bumps, which is moronic. Marketing has always been about graphics and Sony miscalculated by thinking players would give a shit about 60fps in Quality based on their data that showed that 75% of players pick performance mode. What they should have done is wow the crowd with a proper RT showcase and then let everyone sitting at home pick performance mode anyway.

This was a gaffe by Sony. Let's call it like it is.

Last edited:
Even in their video DF is saying that these are quick patch and people shouldn't take these first way of games as the way games developed with the Pro in mind would look.

saintjules

Gold Member
So DF has a PS5 Pro for testing?

No, they just have the uncompressed video of the presentation.

I'm watching their 2 hour analysis now via early access on Patreon. They are making remarks that suggest they don't have one. They keep saying they can't wait to do more comparisons in the future with PSSR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom