• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 pro games performance and resolution of patreon Digital Foundry

Radical_3d

Lets see what people are saying soon

funny face smile GIF
Two weeks again?
Arnold Schwarzenegger Loop GIF by xponentialdesign

yurinka

Can 864p be upscaled for 4K even or are we talking about 1440p here?

I know DLSS can go from 720p to 4K.
Devs can scale to whatever they want, like 8K. The question is, under which conditions? I asssume that upscale to 4K would mean doing it at a better fps or IQ than doing it to 8K.

saintjules

Gold Member
Lets see what people are saying soon

funny face smile GIF

I'm ready to get this day one regardless. But even I now have to admit that I'm seeing minimal differences based on the DF video. Of course I'm assuming once we get the Console on hand everything will change.

The Ratchet and Clank comparison in the video showing more crowd density of the audience on PS5 fidelity mode was more versus the PS5 Pro. Not sure what's happening but they are suggesting that the Pro will still offer different modes.

It will be curious to see what we're getting in November. Sony needs to deliver the goods to justify the price otherwise this will indeed be a tough sell to the general fanbase.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm ready to get this day one regardless. But even I now have to admit that I'm seeing minimal differences based on the DF video. Of course I'm assuming once we get the Console on hand everything will change.

The Ratchet and Clank comparison in the video showing more crowd density of the audience on PS5 fidelity mode was more versus the PS5 Pro. Not sure what's happening but they are suggesting that the Pro will still offer different modes.

It will be curious to see what we're getting in November. Sony needs to deliver the good otherwise this will indeed be a tough sell to the general fanbase.
I am more interested in new games how they look being built with the Pro in mind

Show me Death Stranding 2 running on the Pro

Show me Ghost of Tsushima 2

Show me the relaunch of Concord

Ok well maybe not that last one but still

Taycan77

Let's stop this shit of Sony playing 4D-chess. They fucked up the reveal, poorly communicated their message, and asked $700 after showing videos they had to zoom in for consumers to spot the differences.
I think it's fairly obvious we had a brief 9 minute presentation as the primary goal was to get the price out into the public domain.

They now have, at least, two major public events to show games, plus 2 months to demo titles, interviews, and so on for the press.

The clown show on YouTube and social media have had their fun. Now we get down to the real business of demoing titles, reveals, pre-order details, and so on. Gamers, and society in general, have a very short attention span. As soon as Sony show shiny new games many of those on the fence will jump in.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I think it's fairly obvious we had a brief 9 minute presentation as the primary goal was to get the price out into the public domain.

They now have, at least, two major public events to show games, plus 2 months to demo titles, interviews, and so on for the press.

The clown show on YouTube and social media have had their fun. Now we get down to the real business of demoing titles, reveals, pre-order details, and so on. Gamers, and society in general, have a very short attention span. As soon as Sony show shiny new games many of those on the fence will jump in.
The fiasco currently ongoing wasn't part of their plan. What they needed to do was soften the blow of the price by showing why you should be excited right now. You don't show the price with such an underwhelming reveal and let the narrative shit on your console.

Sony miscalculated. Shit happens. Their plan was not to get thrashed all over the internet.

Bitstream

Wonder why pc gamers are so desperate to convince people their preferred platform is the best one, downplaying the fact that some games will take a year or longer to come out while others like demons souls remake and bloodborne have yet to ever make it over. I already have a PC, so I'm not impacted either way, but to say outlandish things like 'there are plenty of games to play' when referring to gta6, probably the most highly anticipated game currently is just nonsense.

Senua

Wonder why pc gamers are so desperate to convince people their preferred platform is the best one, downplaying the fact that some games will take a year or longer to come out while others like demons souls remake and bloodborne have yet to ever make it over. I already have a PC, so I'm not impacted either way, but to say outlandish things like 'there are plenty of games to play' when referring to gta6, probably the most highly anticipated game currently is just nonsense.
If all you care about is Sony exclusives (and GTA 6), then yes. You have a point.

rm082e

I don't understand why we're expending so much processing power to achieve 60fps in games when the difference from 30fps is minimal. If it weren't for the complaints from whiny cry babies about games not running at 60fps, we could focus on developing photorealistic graphics. Instead, we're left with games that only look slightly better than those from the PS3 era.

If it were hardware holding developers back from making "photorealistic graphics", then we'd have that already on the PC where the latest AAA games can easily max out a 4090. But we don't have "photorealistic graphics" on the PC. Frame rate is not the bottleneck - especially when they are turning the details down on console to get better frame rates.

Vick

Gold Member
Let's stop this shit of Sony playing 4D-chess. They fucked up the reveal, poorly communicated their message, and asked $700 without a disc drive after showing videos where they had to zoom in for consumers to spot the differences. A 9-minute presentation by your lead architect who didn't even look like he was enthusiastic isn't how it's done. This was an amateur job, not some stroke of genius by them. Their saving grace is that they're effectively the only player in the premium console market. Xbox is completely irrelevant, so the Pro should sell alright regardless.

Still, this whole pretense that this was all calculated is comical. What they should have done is showcase the ray tracing capabilities. Ironic that Cerny said it was 2-3x faster, yet they didn't even show it during the reveal and instead focused on resolution and frame rate bumps, which is moronic. Marketing has always been about graphics and Sony miscalculated by thinking players would give a shit about 60fps in Quality based on their data that showed that 75% of players pick performance mode. What they should have done is wow the crowd with a proper RT showcase and then let everyone sitting at home pick performance mode anyway.

This was a gaffe by Sony. Let's call it like it is.
I liked the post because unquestionably Sony messed up the presentation. The way the comparisons were showcased is straight-up comical.

However, I wouldn't have cared at all about an RT demonstration. Zero. All I wanted from this Pro is Fidelity visuals at 60fps, as I've always said prior to the reveal, and that's what got me hooked.

I believe Cerny said all the right things, it's just that whoever handled the presentation aspect of the video should be fired on the spot.

Also, I understand the need for a live presentation, but not having a pristine 4K encode similar to the one IGN got to upload immediately after, along with proper comparisons/examples on the PS Blog, was a truly royal fuck up.
Sony for sure deserves a lot of what they got in terms of reception, as they should obviously know better at this point as veterans of this industry. Embarrassing.

Last edited:

Kangx

Did Sony really send the uncompress footage to DF to analyze or they get it from elsewhere? If so, it's kinda counter productive.

I don't get it, they could have invited Richard and the gang like they invited CNET. Provide DF with Hardware information and the current state of PSSR and ray tracing. Show the game running to them like they did with CNET and provide them longer footages of game running on the pro.

Wait, didn't IGN got ahold of the footage before DF? So it all make sense now, IGN provided the footage to DF not sony.

saintjules

Gold Member
I am more interested in new games how they look being built with the Pro in mind

Show me Death Stranding 2 running on the Pro

Show me Ghost of Tsushima 2

Show me the relaunch of Concord

Ok well maybe not that last one but still

Yeah. I'm intrigued to see how it all comes together. Even recently released games like Space Marine 2 could truly benefit. I'm confident we'll see it.

Just right now I think Sony will need to do more prior to release to tell the Consumer how and why getting this at $700 will get you a more premium experience versus the base model.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah. I'm intrigued to see how it all comes together. Even recently released games like Space Marine 2 could truly benefit. I'm confident we'll see it.

Just right now I think Sony will need to do more prior to release to tell the Consumer how and why getting this at $700 will get you a more premium experience versus the base model.
We will see a lot more by the end of the TGS

Maybe I am dead wrong but I think some on the fence may decide to hop on over once some of those games get closer

I don't blame anyone not buying early on

In fact I hope people don't

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

rm082e

Who is trying to convince people PC is best? I see people stating the obvious - if you care about both resolution and frame rate, and don't want to make any compromises, the PC is the platform that provides that freedom. Consoles will never be able to do that. It doesn't mean they're better.

As for 'there are plenty of games to play', do you know anyone who has a good gaming PC who doesn't have a backlog of games to play?

saintjules

Gold Member

pLMsHpo.jpeg

Gaiff

Also, I understand the need for a live presentation, but not having a pristine 4K encode similar to the one IGN got to upload immediately after, along with proper comparisons/examples on the PS Blog, was a truly royal fuck up.
Sony for sure deserves a lot of what they got in terms of reception, as they should obviously know better at this point as veterans of this industry. Embarrassing.
This was the biggest problem. The shit video feed. I was watching on my 1440p monitor at work and had to sit close to spot the difference. Sony had to know a large portion of the watchers would be on mobile, yet they still came out with a crappy video feed. I've heard that youtube can take up to 24 hours to convert your 4K HDR videos and Sony didn't upload it in advance because they were afraid it would leak like with GTA VI.

Also, you may not care about ray tracing, but they're a great way to show graphical differences which is what most people care about. 60fps is amazing because it feels better, but that's the catch, feels. Players really appreciate it when they experience it, interact with the game. If you just show them, they won't be amazed, much less if you ask them for $700 and take out the disc drive.

You wanna show this:

abYsTYW.gif

oB0KKkI.gif

Not this:

ps5-and-ps5-pro-comparison-tlou2.png

Vick

Gold Member
This was the biggest problem. The shit video feed. I was watching on my 1440p monitor at work and had to sit close to spot the difference. Sony had to know a large portion of the watchers would be on mobile, yet they still came out with a crappy video feed. I've heard that youtube can take up to 24 hours to convert your 4K HDR videos and Sony didn't upload it in advance because they were afraid it would leak like with GTA VI.

Also, you may not care about ray tracing, but they're a great way to show graphical differences which is what most people care about. 60fps is amazing because it feels better, but that's the catch, feels. Players really appreciate it when they experience it, interact with the game. If you just show them, they won't be amazed, much less if you ask them for $700 and take out the disc drive.

You wanna show this:

abYsTYW.gif

oB0KKkI.gif

Not this:

ps5-and-ps5-pro-comparison-tlou2.png
The point is, showcasing similar RT improvements would imply a focus on improved visuals at 30fps. I'm not sure that would have worked any better with the "$699 for 30fps LMAO" and similar from the average gamer tribe (gamers who DO choose 60fps 75% of the time in fact).

It would’ve left me not just less excited, but probably not even interested in the first place.

Gaiff

The point is, showcasing similar RT improvements would imply a focus on improved visuals at 30fps. I'm not sure that would have worked any better with the "$699 for 30fps LMAO" and similar from the average gamer tribe (gamers who DO choose 60fps 75% of the time in fact).

It would’ve left me not just less excited, but probably not even interested in the first place.
I’m 100% convinced it would have worked a lot better. Graphics are good marketing, not frame rates.

recursive

Calm down, sorry to hurt your feelings fps warrior, I don't mean exactly ps2 I said it because I hate that 60fps narrative, but I also you can find many titles which have performance mode and you can compare it to it fedilty mode and see deference by yourself (many games have lower than 720p native resolution in performance mode)
Use quality mode if you want it. You sound ridiculous. Clearly 60fps mode is not holding back having a quality mode option. We live in a world where you have both. Deal with it.

Vick

Gold Member
I’m 100% convinced it would have worked a lot better. Graphics are good marketing, not frame rates.
Let's agree to disagree then.
I would have said "better marketing for casuals and average gamers maybe, who are not the target audience of this machine", but apparently even those casuals and average gamers put performance over visuals.

Gaiff

Let's agree to disagree then.
I would have said "better marketing for casuals and average gamers maybe, who are not the target audience of this machine", but apparently even those casuals and average gamers put performance over visuals.
Absolutely correct, but it wasn't just a casual audience watching this, it was the whole world and the narrative painted them in a bad light. If anything, they should have then shown the frame rate improvements to the hardcore crowd later on because these are the people who will watch every video and closely follow the console. Casuals will tune in once and if you don't hit out of the park, you lose them. Hardcore will come back anyway, why alienate the regular Joes?

XXL

it was the whole world and the narrative painted them in a bad light.
People always try to paint Playstation hardware launches in a bad light....it pretty much always blows up in there faces and people end up looking stupid.

The Series X and PS5 speculation in the beginning is nothing short of embarrassing when you look back on it now. The Series X was supposed to wipe the floor (in many ways) against the PS5 and that's not what happened.

Msamy

Use quality mode if you want it. You sound ridiculous. Clearly 60fps mode is not holding back having a quality mode option. We live in a world where you have both. Deal with it.
You got me wrong I don't attack having 60fps mode I attack sony strategy to remove 30fps high graphics quality mode from pro and force 60fps as basic mode

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People always try to paint Playstation hardware launches in a bad light....it pretty much always blows up in there faces and people end up looking stupid.

The Series X and PS5 speculation in the beginning is nothing short of embarrassing when you look back on it now. The Series X was supposed to wipe the floor (in many ways) against the PS5 and that's not what happened.
Actually the speculation thread literally everyone said the PS5 would have the power advantage and only a small handful of people were standing by the Xbox would be more powerful scenario

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My guess is that it will be worse for sure, or just locked to 30FPS. They are using RT in this game so PS5/XSX are gonna suffer...
Yeah I don't think they've actually confirmed a performance mode for the game on current consoles yet.

bundylove

Juat bought hogwards on sale for 30 canadian of the store.

So do i wait to play on pro or do i play it now since according to df its just a small upgrade?

Top Bottom