• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Besty Devos splits Senate with 50/50 vote, VP Pence confirms nomation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

doesn't state > fed gov generally in terms of public education?

I'm not happy about her appointment, but in the scheme of things, I don't think much will change. small budget, smallest cabinet level etc.

more worried about the other appointments to be honest

Guess it depends on your state.

True. But whatever they CAN do to make things better for the wealthy, they most certainly will; at the expense of poorer children.

Also true. I just can't imagine Trump making any progress championing a voucher program if Devos is the face for his education department. People hate her and they've spent too much time just trying to push her through. Like I don't think she's going to be able to do as much as some people think she is, but what she can do will certainly be harmful. Just not "I'm never having kids and education is over" awful.

C4EsjlqUMAAH_lB.jpg
I feel fucking powerless and useless, but I tweeted every single one of these pieces of shit to make myself feel a little better.

"@BillCassidy Good job suporting DeVos. Where can I send my $70,200 to match what her family gave you? I assume I get any job I want after?"

ezekial45

Banned

I'm not happy about her appointment, but in the scheme of things, I don't think much will change. small budget, smallest cabinet level etc.

There are a lot of states that will go along with whatever she has in mind. This is going to divide people even further.

vladbkp

Neo Member
As a parent with two young children in public school (5th grade & 2nd grade), I am genuinely scared for their future. Wish people actually used their brains and took a few seconds to really understood the consequences of their actions.

Beefy

She didn't know basic answers to education questions, plagiarized her answers, donated millions to the GOP, and is arguing that guns are needed in schools, and when pressed, quoted a bear attack.

Oh, and high school kids will start having tuition on the levels of college. So the student debt issue will only become worse.

Sounds good then /s

Knoxcore

I'm pretty upset about the nomination too, but I don't think that they can snap their fingers and destroy the public school system. States have too much control.

GOP is in control of the Executive branch, the legislative branch of government. Will soon be in control of the Supreme Court. There are 25 states that are entirely controlled by the Republican Party. Only 5 are controlled by the Dems. The GOP can and will destroy public education.

can they gut student aid, work study, pell grants, fafsa etc?

were they going to anyhow?

seems like even reagan tried to kill a lot of the programs but wasn't able to

Hari Seldon

Yes, by a huge margin. In fact the local school board members you vote for have more power of your child's education than the federal government.

My local school board revenue:

Local Taxes: 46 million
State Taxes: 15 million
Federal Taxes: 347k

RPGCrazied

Can we now please never listen to Graham or McCain ever again? Whatever they say or do to act like they are standing up to Trump.

Hot air.

Vena

This is probably the first time I genuinely think that Republicans in the Senate and House fucked themselves over to their own constituents because of "towing the party line", especially in states like Pennsylvania.

DeVos is going to be such a blowback in 2020, much like Bush's late era attempts at touching health care were a blockback in 2008. There are far too many Republican voters who did not like her and will not like what she does to public education in states that will be most affected, and this is very much something that WILL affect them directly and immediately because parents and teachers (and their kids) talk.

She's a despised individual by both sides of the voter base.

Unfortunately, an educated electorate would result in Dem control of government. So gotta keep people dumb, Jesus loving and voting Republican.

I'm really sick of this liberal platitude. Of the stupidest people in this country, those whose decisions have had the most disastrous consequences - which have ended countless lives in one way or another - come from Ivy League educations. Here's a photo of some of them:

7XAFD7w.jpg

So what's her endgame? Why does she want this job?

1. More money for me and my friends

2. Fuck you

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I legitimately think this is going to come back to bite the GOP. Regardless of what the party might want, very few people including Republican voters want to see the public education system get worse. I know my Republican family members won't be happy with her.

Nerazar

So what's her endgame? Why does she want this job?

What is anyone's endgame? I suppose that she will gain something out of it. Maybe rerouting the 1 trillion dollar loan program or getting access to the boards of private schools which is also a billion dollar business?

hbkdx12

So if I'm understanding all this correctly, Republicans want all the power to tell women what they can and can't do with their bodies and outlaw abortions. However, with this child that they're forcing women to bring in this world, because they care so much about life, they're willing to potentially grant that same child a severely substandard level of education in the process?

b2760d45c814c17a32851856f674f3dd.gif

The greatest democracy in the world at work there, for us all to see. An extremely unqualified person at such a high position, choosen for all the wrong reasons - greed, spite and what not.

Brinbe

I'm really sick of this liberal platitude. Of the stupidest people in this country, those whose decisions have had the most disastrous consequences - which have ended countless lives in one way or another - come from Ivy League educations. Here's a photo of some of them:

7XAFD7w.jpg

Those people knew exactly what they were doing. They're not dumb. They (and their GOP cohorts) have exactly one goal, make their benefactors richer. And they did that. So your notion is completely false. You act as if they give a shit about those countless lives with horrible consequences. Hint: THEY DON'T! That DeVos just got nominated despite zero qualifications is proof enough of that.

The bigger problem is who voted them and fools like Trump into office? Jesus Christ. This is like the tenth time I've posted this on here and I'll continue to do so. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

SilentRob

I feel fucking powerless and useless, but I tweeted every single one of these pieces of shit to make myself feel a little better.

"@BillCassidy Good job suporting DeVos. Where can I send my $70,200 to match what her family gave you? I assume I get any job I want after?"

They won't read the tweets. Send a letter or call him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom