• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Besty Devos splits Senate with 50/50 vote, VP Pence confirms nomation

Status
Not open for further replies.
C4EsjlqUMAAH_lB.jpg

How is this legal? To vote for someone who funded your own campaigns?

Elandyll

Banned
I doubt it. The base loves this stuff. And anyone angry will forget by 2018.
With the past 2 weeks as basis, and the current rate, I'd say that by 2018 we'll be in at least 1 or 2 wars in the middle East, Trump will be at his millionth Executive Order that will at this point directly contradict other EDs already in place.
There will be a Trillion $ + hole in the budget, but no finished wall to show for it, corruption in DC will be so rampant that Senators and Cabinet members will be openly lobbying for private interests (when not their own), air and water quality will have already taken a dive in the country, with at least 1 major ecological disaster directly imputable to Trump directives/ laws passed by GOP, at least 1 terrorist attack commandited by a foreign power, more openly manipulation of US politics by Russia/ Putin, and GOP more brazen than ever in its redistricting and voter suppression in anticipation of 2018 but particularly 2020. That's not counting mass protests and strikes.
Rising unemployment due to increased automatisation, profit driven moves, and eased laws about mass layoffs, lower wages due to repeal of minimum wages, repeal of Roe v Wade leading to massive protest of Women, police violence on minorities on the rise followed by violent riots in multiple cities, and "unprofitable" education programs being on the choping block, such as Spec Ed for which parents will now receive a voucher.
LGBT progress is rolled back and voted as such into law as "religious freedom" act. Mariage sanctity act pushed by GOP.
Ryan re reveals his Medicaid/ Medicare/ Soc Sec plan based on Vouchers and starts its implementation (knowing that 2018 is probably a status quo result at worst given the map) and planning on doing everything possible before 2020.

Hows that looking for you? Think we'd forget that?

Vena

All science books will be replaced with the bible.

(I know you're joking.) The Federal level doesn't have that reach, such things would come to the state level. She's going to fuck up the high level regulations and order, but the states will ultimately still have the majority of control on how good or bad their education systems are. DeVos will also do the most harm to red, poorer states that are much more dependent on Federal funds than the majority of Blue states.

In fact the majority of Blue states will likely weather her without much issue or even concern.

As people tend to move based on good/bad education lines where they can afford it, DeVos may actually contribute to furthering the urban/rural split as even well-to-be Republican voters start moving out of "bad" states.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Anybody have any experience with vasectomies? Seems like kids are an awful idea at this point.

My mom used to try and force me to go to church. It ended up splitting us apart. She's a great woman that thought she was trying to do something good and I get that, but it still just created this massive rift in our relationship and it bothers me to this day.

I'm all for people having the choice to partake in religion. The choice. But trying to force religion, you know, something that lacks any fundamental logic/facts of being a thing (to me) is not right. Let people think and decide for themselves. Otherwise you could be left with broken relationships.

Maybe this is mostly why this rattles me. There's a plethora of other reasons to be concerned about Betsy on top of it, but this one is the most personal to me. Religion shouldn't be a part of school. You go to school to learn facts, to better your intelligence and prepare for the real world. Religion is a personal matter and has no place in the public school system.

Can we even become stupider as a country though?

I didn't think we'd ever elect a more braindead fascist puppet than Dubbya, and how wrong I was. I don't think there's a theoretical bottom anymore. Maybe when it becomes hip to stand naked in the rain with your head up and mouth open while injecting bacon fat directly into your veins.

JeTmAn81

Those people knew exactly what they were doing. They're not dumb. They (and their GOP cohorts) have exactly one goal, make their benefactors richer. And they did that. So your notion is completely false. You act as if they give a shit about those countless lives with horrible consequences. Hint: THEY DON'T! That DeVos just got nominated despite zero qualifications is proof enough of that.

The bigger problem is who voted them and fools like Drumpf into office? Jesus Christ. This is like the tenth time I've posted this on here and I'll continue to do so. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

The data certainly makes a strong statement, but there may be more to it than simply "getting an education opens your eyes to how stupid Republicans are". My father and sister are as educated as you could wish for (an MD and a PHD + MD), but I don't think any amount of information or debate would've convinced them to vote for Hillary. I don't actually know that they voted for Trump, but I know they lean conservative. I can't imagine they voted for Hillary.

So, what's the additional factor that either causes those educated people to still vote Republican, or causes the educated on the opposite side to choose the Dems?

TylerD

When I first saw this in highschool, I thought it was a little preachy. A little too hippie-ish and exaggerated. What a moron I was. This shit couldn't be any more true.

Also the same thing with the massive attack on unions. They really want one of the last protection systems for the American worker against corporate interests destroyed.

On a whim, I watched Inside Job and then Requiem for the American Dream on Netflix last night and it really hit home.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fuck Lindsey Graham. I thought he had somewhat of a spine left since he never endorsed Trump (afaik) and seemed more moderate compared to the other nutcases, but if HE had voted decently it would have been enough to deny the confirmation. Spineless wanker.

Foffy

Banned
Can't wait to see what "fake history" class is like.

America having slaves is "fake history"

Someone pull that bullshit pulled in a history book a few years ago, that actually called slaves "workers" that just happened to come help build America...

Those people knew exactly what they were doing. They're not dumb. They (and their GOP cohorts) have exactly one goal, make their benefactors richer. And they did that. So your notion is completely false. You act as if they give a shit about those countless lives with horrible consequences. Hint: THEY DON'T! That DeVos just got nominated despite zero qualifications is proof enough of that.

Don't chalk up to evil what can be ascribed to incompetence. They believe this is Best for America, the "American Way." Ayn Rand's worship of child murdering serial killers being the basis of Objectivism's infestation of the party, the fantasies of bootstraps and everyone's wealth being "earned," it's a genuine blindness to how wrong they get things.

The bigger problem is who voted them and fools like Trump into office? Jesus Christ. This is like the tenth time I've posted this on here and I'll continue to do so. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

Nate Silver choked so fucking hard this entire election season, for starters. Second of all, it's inherently masturbatory - an implicit statement of I'm better than these people, and fuck them. What about the multi-million dollar campaign machine that let an uncharismatic dullard like Gore take the reigns? Or the billion dollar campaign machine that cranked out memes like "What about Chillary Clinton?" in one of the most crucial elections of the past half-century?

Charter/private schools have made huge inroads with the Democrats. Cory Booker, Zuckerberg, etc. - the Democrats have largely abandoned rebuilding an adequate public education institution across the board. It took an unpredictably successful insurgent campaign from Sanders to get Hillary to even consider what would end up being a horribly incompetent means-tested claptrap policy because "I don't want Trump's kids going to college!"

Going "dumb people vote Republican!!" doesn't win any victories for the downtrodden in America.

Ok now let the impeachment process begin.

LOL

Why would they impeach Trump if they willingly select this crazy woman to lead our children's educations?

Trump is going to be President AT LEAST through 2024.

I say AT LEAST because he might pull a Vlad Putin and change the term limit length from 4 years to 6 years.

LiK

Fuck Lindsey Graham. I thought he had somewhat of a spine left since he never endorsed Trump (afaik) and seemed more moderate compared to the other nutcases, but if HE had voted decently it would have been enough to deny the confirmation. Spineless wanker.

He likes to talk but he never actually does what he says. It's infuriating.

people need to stop believing in guys like Graham and McCain will do the right thing. They have time and time again will say something and vote otherwise.

Syncytia

Sean Spicer just said the "presidents qualified nominee" hahahahaha

"It's the democrats fault and voters will remember"

LOL

Why would they impeach Trump if they willingly select this crazy woman to lead our children's educations?

Trump is going to be President AT LEAST through 2024.

I say AT LEAST because he might pull a Vlad Putin and change the term limit length from 4 years to 6 years.

Wouldn't something like this require a constitutional amendment? Something the republicans don't have enough votes for?

I really feel like giving up at this point. All these calls mean fuck all. Protesting means fuck all. Telling "GAF" to go vote means fuck all.

The majority of Americans don't seem to give a shit that our country is turning into a cesspool of incompetence. My kids don't have time for them to get their act together.

Already getting our affairs in order to leave this country. It's time to move on.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm really sick of this liberal platitude. Of the stupidest people in this country, those whose decisions have had the most disastrous consequences - which have ended countless lives in one way or another - come from Ivy League educations. Here's a photo of some of them:

7XAFD7w.jpg

Very true. Even Steve Bannon holds two graduate degrees, one from Harvard Business where he graduated with top honors.

Of course greed, opportunity, and injustice will win out in such minds despite all of the ethical and fiduciary responsibility training such a program provides(and its quite a lot). This administration is a textbook example of performing everything against what such an education program imparts to avoid out of its student candidates.

Chumley

Banned
The democrats are as fucking worthless and pathetic as the republicans are evil and spineless. Trump is going to steamroll over them for 8 fucking years if they couldn't get it together to block this woman even republicans hate.

It's over. Move to Canada if you can.

studyguy

The circuit court totally isn't calling the president's actions into question guys, not at all.

The democrats are as fucking worthless and pathetic as the republicans are evil and spineless. Trump is going to steamroll over them for 8 fucking years if they couldn't get it together to block this woman even republicans hate.

They did get together, there are only 48 democrats to 52 republicans. Two republicans folded and the rest didn't, mike pence broke the tie. Please don't misconstrue republican's picking party over country as anything but that.

akileese

Don't chalk up to evil what can be ascribed to incompetence. They believe this is Best for America, the "American Way." Ayn Rand's worship of child murdering serial killers being the basis of Objectivism's infestation of the party, the fantasies of bootstraps and everyone's wealth being "earned," it's a genuine blindness to how wrong they get things.

Nate Silver choked so fucking hard this entire election season, for starters. Second of all, it's inherently masturbatory - an implicit statement of I'm better than these people, and fuck them. What about the multi-million dollar campaign machine that let an uncharismatic dullard like Gore take the reigns? Or the billion dollar campaign machine that cranked out memes like "What about Chillary Clinton?" in one of the most crucial elections of the past half-century?

Charter/private schools have made huge inroads with the Democrats. Cory Booker, Zuckerberg, etc. - the Democrats have largely abandoned rebuilding an adequate public education institution across the board. It took an unpredictably successful insurgent campaign from Sanders to get Hillary to even consider what would end up being a horribly incompetent means-tested claptrap policy because "I don't want Trump's kids going to college!"

Going "dumb people vote Republican!!" doesn't win any victories for the downtrodden in America.

You're overthinking why Republican congress members do what they do. It's justwhat makes them and their overlords more wealthy. That's all they care about it. If the coal lobby gives them money to say that Obama invented global warming as a myth you can bet your ass they'll shout it from the fucking rooftops.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm slowly losing the will to fight back when its near fruitless. And I can't convince anyone to give a shit. Lets all just wait and see while the country burns.

What could they do besides vote against her? They're the minority, and they couldn't filibuster. All they could do was debate her nomination, which they did for 24 HOURS, and vote in lockstep against her, which they did. Stop trying to pull a variation of the "both sides" nonsense at this juncture.

BFIB

Dems filibustered overnight to try and persuade anyone with a spine on the GOP's side to vote against this. It is all they needed was one more.

Dems certainly have a lot to do, but they tried their hardest here.

I am so disappointed in this country. Our voices clearly did not matter.

Yep, pretty much how I feel. The protesting has given me some hopes, but this kind of stuff just rips the wind right of that. I mean, they were swamped with calls from people, including their very own constituents, that did not want this woman confirmed, but they don't care at all. Even if Trump only has a 4 year term, this cunt is going to rape public education.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Someone else said it on GAF but it still blows my mind that not one more of 50 Republicans could step out on the limb and admit this was a bad pick. 2 years cannot go by fast enough!

Amory

I really feel like giving up at this point. All these calls mean fuck all. Protesting means fuck all. Telling "GAF" to go vote means fuck all.

The majority of Americans don't seem to give a shit that our country is turning into a cesspool of incompetence. My kids don't have time for them to get their act together.

Already getting our affairs in order to leave this country. It's time to move on.

Millions of people have literally been protesting Trump and his policies since he took office

The ACLU is getting more donations now than at any point in their history.

People care. If you're giving up a few weeks into the Trump presidency, fine. See ya. But it's not because the American public isn't fighting back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom