• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are you saying that the PC remasters are worse off than the console remasters in general ?

From a technical perspective, yeah, I'd say that's true. I'd like to give 2K/Blind Squirrel the benefit of the doubt here and assume the issues that managed to survive the UE2.5 -> UE3 transition will be dealt with, but, well, neither party has a history that compels me to do so. However, SteamDB tells us that both remasters have some sort of patch in the works, so evidently development has yet to cease.

The issues with the PC version are hardly ruinous, so if you're someone who happens to have a capable PC in addition to a PS4/X1, I'd go with the PC version, not the least of all because buying any item (BioShock, BioShock 2, or Bio2's Minerva's Den DLC) also nets you the remastered equivalent in addition to the original release (on PSN/XBL it's all or nothing).

I'm new to BioShock 1 and 2(played Infnite) and decided to play in order. Im still early in the Bioshock 1
Just got my telekinesis power
, but game is quite boring. I like the atmosphere and I can tell the game is going to have a good story, but the combat is just not good. I do find the hacking to be fun though.

I almost want to skip this game and play part 2 since I heard the combat is good in that game and then replay Infinite.

Edit: First Daddy fight had made this game more interesting. The game is more horror than I thought.

kris.

Banned
oh my god i had no idea i'd get the remastered versions free for already owning the originals on steam

this just made my weekend

pa22word

From a technical perspective, yeah, I'd say that's true. I'd like to give 2K/Blind Squirrel the benefit of the doubt here and assume the issues that managed to survive the UE2.5 -> UE3 transition will be dealt with, but, well, neither party has a history that compels me to do so. However, SteamDB tells us that both remasters have some sort of patch in the works, so evidently development has yet to cease.

The issues with the PC version are hardly ruinous, so if you're someone who happens to have a capable PC in addition to a PS4/X1, I'd go with the PC version, not the least of all because buying any item (BioShock, BioShock 2, or Bio2's Minerva's Den DLC) also nets you the remastered equivalent in addition to the original release (on PSN/XBL it's all or nothing).

Bioshock 2R is pretty ruinous to me. It crashes all the time, and it gave me two crashes so bad that they forced a reboot. I love the hell out of Bio2, but the PCv of BS2R is so bad that it made me quit playing it and start a new run of the original version of the game. The only redeeming value it has is that the devs forgot to take the console out of the game, so it's fun to noclip through things.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bioshock 2R is pretty ruinous to me. It crashes all the time, and it gave me two crashes so bad that they forced a reboot. I love the hell out of Bio2, but the PCv of BS2R is so bad that it made me quit playing it and start a new run of the original version of the game. The only redeeming value it has is that the devs forgot to take the console out of the game, so it's fun to noclip through things.

That sucks. :(

Chabbles

Ok, cool. Well i got 1 and 3 on steam anyway, and theres no way im picking these up on PS4, or any game for that matter lacking good AF, theres no excuse other than oversight of laziness. Really wanted the couch/tv experience this time around is all.

x-Lundz-x

Don't think so. My controller is new and feels great playing Deus Ex. Though the issue seems to go away at times. For instance, I adjusted sensitivity all the way up and it felt no different really. Then I came across one of those commentary movies and when it went back to gameplay, aiming felt insanely fast.

My old controller works just fine in other games as well, it's something about the different speed of movement in Bioshock I think. I dunno I had the issue every time and the second I hooked up my new controller aiming was fixed for me.

I have made a terrible mistake.

After I put my weapons into the pnuemo to fight Peach, I picked up a pistol during the fight.
Then when I got all my weapons back the order stayed the same so now my wrench is on slot 2 and my pistol is on slot 1!

This is so wrong!

I forgot how much I love the original Bioshock. Just got to Neptune's Bounty (playing PS4 version). Nice performance and the game still looks wonderful with these little added touches.

Still in my top 3 games of all time.

weekev

Banned
This is one of those franchises that has always past me by. Never played or even seen a Bioshock game in action but always see universal love. Think I might jump in with this on PS4.

pargonta

the second torch when you get to arcadia seems to already be lit.

was a zelda puzzle in the original iirc. weird change.

this along with the "press _ if you get stuck" notices. must have focused tested some dumb players

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

this along with the "press _ if you get stuck" notices. must have focused tested some dumb players

I was wondering where that puzzle was! Wow, bummer that they just removed it entirely. I liked Incinerate not being used for melting ice in a puzzle.

I have made a terrible mistake.

After I put my weapons into the pnuemo to fight Peach, I picked up a pistol during the fight.
Then when I got all my weapons back the order stayed the same so now my wrench is on slot 2 and my pistol is on slot 1!

This is so wrong!

Yeah this happened to me and bugged me for the rest of the game.

gfxtwin

So I noticed on the Bio1 remaster title screen it says in small text "Version 1.0.121275". So that's gotta be a positive sign that there could more updates planned, right?

On Bioshock's combat vs. Infinite's: I like how Infinite is more of a rush, like a rollercoaster, and the enemies are more satisfying to kill (not as morally ambiguous as splicers, which are essentially like normal people simultaneously on bath salts and in a state of hypnosis). Killing is more fun in Infinite, but less interesting. I kinda miss how in Rapture there was more of the sense of there being an ecosystem based on the remaining citizens, genetically modified little girl creatures, and the big hulking & intimidating diver suit creatures which you had no idea what they were and kinda just go about their business of protecting the little girl creatures from you and the different kinds of splicers. Meanwhile bots, turrets, and cameras are set up everywhere to deal with. And the AI of the creatures in that game is more interesting in how you can throw a wrench in and fuck with things so much.

Hacking cameras to attack splicers, using the game's Half-Life 2-esque physics system to throw just about anything at enemies, to varying results. waiting until, say a couple of spider splicers and maybe a nitro splicer are in the same room as a big daddy and throwing the aggressor irritant plasmid at them and watching the epic fight go down, using plasmids to make a Big Daddy your bodyguard and then getting splicers or other big daddies to fight you, etc. I just love how there are so many ways to fuck with the balance of things in Rapture.

In Infinite the combat is more like Wolfenstein of Call of duty shooting with the thrill ride of a roller coaster, which is cool, the skylines are unlike anything I've experienced in a game, but the plasmids are less interesting and the Ai is way more basic. The physics system is a major step backwards, the environments are more linear, there are less ways to approach each battle, etc. Everything is more streamlined and straightforward. It's a good game judged on it's own merits, but a lot of the things I loved about the original Bioshock didn't make it in the final product sadly.

gfxtwin

Wait, there was a puzzle in Arcadia. Wat?

How is Infinite on Ps4? I saw a few early posts saying that it looked just like the pc version running on high settings, but had stutter. For anyone playing the ps4 version and has delved pretty deeply into the game, how prominent is the stuttering? Is the lack of af distracting? Does it hold 60fps well? I have been wanting to go back to Infinite very badly for a while now, and i would like to know how well the ps4 version holds up.

Wait, there was a puzzle in Arcadia. Wat?
Yes. If I recall correctly, when you first arrive there's a structure with 2 torches; one lit and the other unlit. Light the torch with incinerate to open a secret passage. If the remaster actually removed this then that is super lame. Is the passage just open now?

Toa TAK

Banned
Just finished Minerva's Den for the first time. Wow. That
audio log where Porter talks to Pearl is powerful, and it was completely unexpected. I didn't expect the resolution of a story about a super computer to be so human and moving.
It's what makes Minerva's Den unexpectedly great.
saving and loading takes a super long time in bioshock 2 on xbox one. Thought my game had froze the first time

I had the opposite problem. Saving and loading took forever in BioShock 1. It's faster in BioShock 2.

black070

So glad this collection exists - with only a PS4 at the moment, I've been wanting to jump back in the Bioshock world for a while now. It holds up just as great as I remember it to be.

me0wish

I'm new to BioShock 1 and 2(played Infnite) and decided to play in order. Im still early in the Bioshock 1
Just got my telekinesis power
, but game is quite boring. I like the atmosphere and I can tell the game is going to have a good story, but the combat is just not good. I do find the hacking to be fun though before finishing it.

I almost want to skip this game and play part 2 since I heard the combat is good in that game and then replay Infinite.

Edit: First Daddy fight had made this game more interesting. The game is more horror than I thought.

The environment is incredibly boring and repetitive and the story was pretty meh, it's unbelievably over rated. I had to restart the game 3 times from how bored I'd get on each play through.

BS2 was a much better game and infinite is great, although both have weak gameplay.

I can't believe that I bought BS1 over MP3.

My old controller works just fine in other games as well, it's something about the different speed of movement in Bioshock I think. I dunno I had the issue every time and the second I hooked up my new controller aiming was fixed for me.

Yeah. Something is wrong with BS 1's aim acceleration to the extent of a noticeable drag while moving the stick to the left. I didn't have that issue while testing out BS: Infinite. This was on the PS4.

Game looks gorgeous. The higher resolution textures and native 1080p really present this game in a new light for past generation console owners. All the fine details in the neon banners and art work, that once looked muddy in 720p, are now legible from afar.

I did notice the lack of AF, especially in levels with checkerboard tiling. Doesn't necessarily ruin the experience, since I only was aware of it while looking at the floor. Nevertheless, a patch to fix it would be appreciated.

So cool being able to explore Rapture again. BS 1 & 2 are two of my all-time favorite games.

Hostile_18

Banned
After playing through the game multiple times originally and half way again on the remaster I'm reminded how much better the game is with the Vita chambers turned off. Had a great afternoon yesterday playing it again! :D

Hostile_18

Banned
Is this version (consoles) worth it for someone who hasn't played any of the three games?

Short answer Yes. Long answer Yessssssssssss.

Seriously though three award winning AAA games in one package. If you've never played them it could well be the best purchase you make this year.

black070

Just completed the first Bioshock - didn't encounter a single issue, and had a blast running through the game again at 60fps.

Now to move onto the second.

Intel_89

Short answer Yes. Long answer Yessssssssssss.

Seriously though three award winning AAA games in one package. If you've never played them it could well be the best purchase you make this year.

I have a lot to plough through at the moment but I'll keep my eyes open for any deals, thanks.

RiggyRob

Played through the first part of the game up to meeting Atlas (PS4 version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1hmqp5AATtT82cXNGJ7dIj&v=q96BFo-GkKE

Luckily we didn't have any audio glitches like repeating dialogue, but the splicers do seem to be really loud compared to how they should sound which is throwing us off.

Fire effects look a bit last-gen, they probably haven't been touched at all, and we didn't really spend too long looking at the physics of the water coming through the plane, but I'm glad that it isn't such a struggle to climb through it in the remastered version.

The game does look really nice at 1080/60 though, and I'll take any excuse to replay Bioshock.

Staf

This has probably already been answered but, you can't just buy Bioshock 1 right? Only really interested in replaying 1 and maybe 2.

How is Infinite on Ps4? I saw a few early posts saying that it looked just like the pc version running on high settings, but had stutter. For anyone playing the ps4 version and has delved pretty deeply into the game, how prominent is the stuttering? Is the lack of af distracting? Does it hold 60fps well? I have been wanting to go back to Infinite very badly for a while now, and i would like to know how well the ps4 version holds up.
It's solid, I haven't had any noticeable issues with framerate. Even if it isn't holding 60 the whole time it's up there. You'll see some in the more demanding/broken parts like Songbird breaking things but not too terribly surprising

Seemed like people were saying it was a straight up bad port from the DF thread, which I really don't think it is. It may not be an amazing port but it's a cleaner next gen version that runs far better than last gen. I haven't played BS1 yet but it sounds like that one has legitimate bugs that need to be sorted out

RiggyRob

ok, so the issues with the game is only with PC version? what about ps4?

PS4 definitely has some issues, we've experienced an audio glitch and darkx10 posted the PS4 blurred floor texture in Infinite.

Surprisingly enough, the Xbox One version seems to be the best running and looking overall.

PS4 definitely has some issues, we've experienced an audio glitch and darkx10 posted the PS4 blurred floor texture in Infinite.

Surprisingly enough, the Xbox One version seems to be the best running and looking overall.

really? hum, will wait for a price drop, if no patches, then I will get the xbox one version. thanks

SkylineRKR

Easy shouldn't make much of a difference since the game absolutely drowns you in Health kits, money, and special ammo that you basically can't die.

If you keep up with researching and find the weapon upgrades, even Hard is easy. I think even the biggest bullet sponges still die after one arrow to the face. I was drowning in arrows. And with camo you can line up dem headshots.

If you put on all the Wrench perks etc the game is even easier. 2 wrench jockeys, faster swing, health + eve regain per hit...

played Bioshock 1 remaster on PC last night. i can't get over the cool art deco design, the Metroidvania-style unlockable world, the thick atmosphere and horror elements.

before now the only one i played through all the way has been Infinite, which i found lacking on repeat plays. level design is good for swarmy combat but is really kind of dull when compared to 1 and if the skyrail wasn't in it id probably never touch it again.

Bioshock PC runs like a dream, no problems whatsoever. i guess people are having issues, maybe i got lucky.

i definitely plan on trying out 2 once i beat this.

Top Bottom