• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

RiggyRob

Got that too, and in the same area I was crashing about every five minutes or so. I deleted my .ini files to recreate them after reading someone suggesting that the crashes could be due to ini editing and didn't get anymore after that, but no idea if anything was related or coincidence.

I'm in Arcadia now, making slow progress. Never got past Medical Pavilion before when I first tried playing it when it came out. I'm enjoying it, though it does seem like the scariness of Medical Pavilion seems to be fading away for better or worse. Is that the scariest level in the game or are there other scary places?

Depends on what you mean by scary - Fort Frolic is IMO the creepiest (and also best) area in the game, but Medical Pavilion is definitely up there with the
jumpscare

gahhh can't believe i
killed cohen too early
and missed a trophy, fuck!

Oh you poor little moth...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Even if you force it, the sound mix is abysmal !

I also get lots of flickering shadows and textures when panning the camera.

Sound mix is fantastic on the PS4 so far for me, I have it upmixed to Neural X and there's plenty of action and clean separation between the surrounds.

Impulsor

So, does the PS4 version suffer from crashes?

What about the xbox one version?

I'm interested in this but don't know what version to get.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Are guns loud on PS4 ? because you can barely hear them on PC.

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, and I'm quite sensitive to issues like that. The shotgun actually has a nice kick to it. What's your sound setup?

Catvoca

Banned
At the end of Infinite and man... this game. I've seen so much negativity for it since last I finished it and never understood it. I still don't. The story is so damn good. I love how batshit crazy and horror driven it gets near the end of it and I find the writing to be excellent. It's really fun to play too, IMO. And what can be said about the art direction? There's so many incredible vistas and backdrops that it's dizzying. I still really, really love this game.

I love it too, the whole time I've been playing bioshock 2 I've just been getting hyped for an infinite replay lol.

So, does the PS4 version suffer from crashes?

What about the xbox one version?

I'm interested in this but don't know what version to get.

I've only experienced one crash in BS 1 on the PS4, and I'm about 50% done with the game.

If you own both systems, I'd wait for DF's comparison video and article to determine which version to get. Infinite's video is already up, and I believe the guys who are doing BS 1 & 2 said they will be posting their video shortly.

Impulsor

I've only experienced one crash in BS 1 on the PS4, and I'm about 50% done with the game.

If you own both systems, I'd wait for DF's comparison video to determine which version to get. Infinite's video is already up, and I believe the guys who are doing BS 1 & 2 said they will be posting their video shortly.
Cool, thanks.

aravuus

From the free PC upgrade thread:
a patch is coming...

Upcoming Updates Addressing Issues And Feature Support

Since the launch of BioShock and BioShock 2 Remastered, some players have been reporting stability issues, while others have asked for additional feature support. We hear you and we’re happy to report we’re addressing this feedback soon. Whether it’s your first time in Rapture, or you’re revisiting it again, we want your experience with the BioShock remasters to be as enjoyable as possible.

We’re looking to address:
General Mouse Fixes, including better Mouse Smoothing, Sensitivity and Acceleration Options in BioShock;
Additional Speaker Mode Options in Audio Settings in BioShock;
Improved FoV Slider Options in BioShock, BioShock 2 and Minerva’s Den;
Support for 21:9 display ratios in BioShock, BioShock 2 and Minerva’s Den;
General stability improvement to reduce instances of game crashes.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/409710/allnews/

psychotron

Just got to Arcadia, and was actually starting to think they made some nice improvements.....then this....

YmKoX36.jpg

That's supposed to be water. Makes the sound of water and can be electrified like it as well. No matter what I do it looks like that.

I also came across a spot that shows the missing AF pretty well.

WwUWe0r.jpg

I love it too, the whole time I've been playing bioshock 2 I've just been getting hyped for an infinite replay lol.

It's just so goddamned good. I love all three games but Infinite is probably my favorite. Man Troy Baker and Courtnee Draper are just ridiculously great.

That scene where Elizabeth sings and gives the apple to the kid got me again.

Did you at least get the trophy for
taking a photo of his corpse? I took the picture just for laughs, was very happy to see it actually netted a trophy!
yeah i got that thankfully, i think i have never got the other trophy so i was on autopilot and made the same mistake. i think that means i miss out on the weapon upgrades too.
i want to take the ears off but i can't!!!

Markitron

I'm at Neptune's Bounty on survivor and I'm at that awkward phase where I need to rescue one more little sister to get the control the big daddy plasmid. Just can't seem to find a good spot to take one down, and can't remember what I did all those years ago when I last played on this difficulty.

i think that means i miss out on the weapon upgrades too.

Yea there's a power to the people machine in his private room.

rtcn63

I'm at Neptune's Bounty on survivor and I'm at that awkward phase where I need to rescue one more little sister to get the control the big daddy plasmid. Just can't seem to find a good spot to take one down, and can't remember what I did all those years ago when I last played on this difficulty.

I played on survivor for a bit and I would get one into a narrow hallway (preferable with a door), litter the floor with proximity grenades, then just start shooting off frags and electric bucks while kiting, and until I ran out of first aid kids.

Some reflections in this spot only flicker red, blue, and black as squares. K...
Had this too, GTX 670. It's where I hit the print screen button a few times and locked the game. So yeah don't do that.

Yea there's a power to the people machine in his private room.

Get a hacked rocket turret, there's several in that level, lure the daddy to it and then keep stunning it while the turret kills it.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

There are a couple of areas they wander in to with several of those gas canisters laying about you can throw with Telekinesis, and they deal a good amount of damage. Also use Telekinesis to throw proximity mines back in between frag grenades. This is how I have dealt with every Rosie ... just make sure you stock up on first aid kits. Telekinesis doesn't take much of your Eve either.

Get a hacked rocket turret, there's several in that level, lure the daddy to it and then keep stunning it while the turret kills it.

This! There is a rocket turret on the second floor that has a pillar in front of it. Hack it, provoke Rosie, and use the pillar to block his shots while the turret makes quick work of him. He should focus his fire on you and ignore the turret. Not exactly the most honorable way to fight him, but gets the job done. Ha ha.

As much as I love Bioshock (it's one of the best games imo).... Arcadia is the worst. Everytime I reach that place....sigh. The level is too long and contains too many fetch quests. It feels like it never ends. Ugh, I hate it.

Peltz

Just got to Arcadia, and was actually starting to think they made some nice improvements.....then this....

YmKoX36.jpg

That's supposed to be water. Makes the sound of water and can be electrified like it as well. No matter what I do it looks like that.

I also came across a spot that shows the missing AF pretty well.

WwUWe0r.jpg
Well... Looks like I'm passing on this collection. Remastered games are supposed to be the best versions of products. The missing water is ridiculous.
Last two pages of the thread are about glitches.

Terrible.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So disheartening to see so many little issues, they really do feel like they add up. I am dying to revisit B1/2 and finally play Minerva's Den, but I'll wait for a sale and hopefully a patch.

sdornan

YmKoX36.jpg

This confused me for a while. I thought it was oil and tried incinerating it to no avail.

Chozo_Lord

A trick I came up with is to use telekinesis on dead bodies to move them in front of hacked security cameras (doesn't need to be hacked actually). Little Sisters always move to the nearest dead bodies to collect Adam. Once the sister/big daddy is in front of the hacked camera, use the security plasmid. The big daddy won't aggro you at all while it gets attacked by bots. Reapply the security plasmid until it's dead.

I just beat BioShock on PS4 for the first time and it was pretty good. It had some of the best atmosphere I ever played and story was good. I just wished the combat was better. There were no crashes in my playthrourgh nor corrupt saves.

I played about 30 minutes of BioShock 2 and it's fun so far as a Big Daddy. The atmosphere is good is well and
swimming
was pretty cool to do in Rapture. I have a feeling that I'm going to prefer this over the first one

Finished the original last night and started Bioshock 2. I will say that (compared to 360) the atmosphere is BS2 is really benefitting from the extra graphical fidelity; I don't remember being this impressed with it before (played through it twice on 360). It just looks really good, very crisp and the colors seem to pop more - I remember BS2 just feeling kind of murky and not very cohesive. Maybe the improved lighting is doing its thing?

Great to hear that Bio 2 is looking better.

So far I've had no issues on X1 on Bioshock, but i'm only at Medical Pavillion...

So great coming back to Rapture.

pa22word

Bioshock 2 is so so good.

It's really kind of insane how much better it is than Bioshock. It does everything (yes, everything) better from a mechanical standpoint, the game's pacing is a thousand times better, and even executes it's plot and themes much better despite the fanboy idiocy that would tell you otherwise. It also has the best levels in the series, with Fontaine Futuristics and Persephone being far and away the better than anything Bio1 has to offer.

It's probably the most improved sequel I've ever played, really. The only reason people dislike it is solely because people are dumb and believe the marketing that ONE MAN(tm) made the entire BioShock. Reality is that a lot of people who worked on Bio1 worked on Bio2, including Jordan Thomas who was the director of the Fort Frolic level in Bio1 who ended up being the director of the game in Bio2.

I really consider Bio1 to be a lame duck these days. It's bookended by two games that are just flat out better than it is. System Shock 2 is a vastly better RPG than Bio 1 is that executes the two game's shared plot better, and despite the two games having the exact same issues with pacing around the endgame I feel SS2 does it better. Bio2 figured out that Bio1's feigning in attempt to be an RPG when it had no systemic depth at all was a fool's errand and went 180 degrees in the other direction to be a damned good pure shooter, doing basically everything better than Bio1 did.

It's really kind of insane how much better it is than Bioshock. It does everything (yes, everything) better from a mechanical standpoint, the game's pacing is a thousand times better, and even executes it's plot and themes much better despite the fanboy idiocy that would tell you otherwise. It also has the best levels in the series, with Fontaine Futuristics and Persephone being far and away the better than anything Bio1 has to offer.

It's probably the most improved sequel I've ever played, really. The only reason people dislike it is solely because people are dumb and believe the marketing that ONE MAN(tm) made the entire BioShock. Reality is that a lot of people who worked on Bio1 worked on Bio2, including Jordan Thomas who was the director of the Fort Frolic level in Bio1 who ended up being the director of the game in Bio2.

I really consider Bio1 to be a lame duck these days. It's bookended by two games that are just flat out better than it is. System Shock 2 is a vastly better RPG than Bio 1 is that executes the two game's shared plot better, and despite the two games having the exact same issues with pacing around the endgame I feel SS2 does it better. Bio2 figured out that Bio1's feigning in attempt to be an RPG when it had no systemic depth at all was a fool's errand and went 180 degrees in the other direction to be a damned good pure shooter, doing basically everything better than Bio1 did.

WOW,

you should respect other people's opinion champ. so if we think Bioshock 1 is better we are DUMB?

Look, Ken Levine CREATED the bioshock story, environment. yes, he had help, but he is the mastermind of the main reason why bioshock shined, which is the STORY. You can't dismiss his work when bioshock 2 is PURELY AND SOLELY BASED on bioshock 1 story. Without bioshock 1, 2 would have never existed. so calm down, and stop calling other people names.

Toa TAK

Banned

Damn right.

Though I will say some areas pale in a bit compared to the first game's two-thirds (Adonis and Dionysis Park pale in comparison to Fort Frolic, Arcadia, Medical Pavillion, and Hephaestus). But it has great locales and in addition to the ones you listed Siren Alley, Ryan's Amusements, and even Pauper's Drop.

If finished it late last night (BioShock is addicting for whatever reason), and I got to say, even without Minerva's Den (which I'll hit up later today), it still stands above the original, at least for me.

Catvoca

Banned
Playing bioshock 2 now and I'm not really feeling it. The original creates this unique world and fills it with interesting characters with clashing ideologies. 2's story just doesn't compare with most of the audio logs feeling very simplistic IMO. The combat is better, I really like the rivet gun, but even then I don't think all the changes were great. Collecting Adam with the little sisters is tedious and the big sister fights add nothing to the game. I'm not crazy about those big mutant splicers either. I also don't think the level design is much better than Bioshock, it's more linear and I don't think any area reaches the heights of something like fort frolic. I think I'm liking it even less replaying it now than I did at launch.

pa22word

WOW,

you should respect other people's opinion champ. so if we think Bioshock 1 is better we are DUMB?

Look, Ken Levine CREATED the bioshock story, environment. yes, he had help, but he is the mastermind of the main reason why bioshock shined, which is the STORY. You can't dismiss his work when bioshock 2 is PURELY AND SOLELY BASED on bioshock 1 history. without bioshock 1, 2 would never exist. so calm down, and stop calling other people names.

I can't really respect someone's opinion when they completely write off a frankly excellent game for an idiotic reason.

Also saying he "created" the bioshock story is a bit of a stretch considering Irrational just copy pasted it from SS2, warts and all.

pa22word

I dunno, I like them all.

I like Bio1 as well, but I never had the strange attachment to it as some weird "greatest game of all time" that exists purely in a vacuum feel that I get from some around here. In reality, it's a remake of a game that is better than it is and has a sequel that is better than it is. Bio1's biggest problem is the gameplay in that they pretty much straight ported SS2's gameplay but ripped all systemic depth out of it which left a giant hole in the mechanics. This hole isn't really filled by what's left because despite the increased emphasis the shooting is barely better than it was in SS2. The tonics system is a supremely unbalanced replacement for a traditional leveling + perk system from SS2, where even a tad bit of foresight will leave you with a killing machine build in a supposed horror game like a quarter into the game. The killing blow in Bioshock is ultimately its difficulty though. Even on hard with vitachambers off the game is an utter cakewalk, drowning you in resources so much that it breaks any kind of atmosphere it's supposed to have about being in fear of really anything in the game.

Gamezone

Gold Member
There really isn't a bad one!

On console it's two 30 gig applications, so around 60 gigs. Don't know about PC.

I read somewhere to expect 70 GB. So my question is, is this one of those games where you don't the entire game right from the disc?

DeadTrees

I like Bio1 as well
some weird "greatest game of all time" that exists purely in a vacuum
In reality,
ripped all systemic depth out of it which left a giant hole
The tonics system is a supremely unbalanced replacement...supposed horror game
The killing blow in Bioshock
breaks any kind of atmosphere it's supposed to have
"Honestly, I like this game. I just think not enough people are aware of how I hated everything in it, how it ruined gaming, and how it funded a worldwide ring of serial killers. Drunkenly namedropping System Shock 2 about five thousand more times in a completely different game's thread will solve everything, of course."

pa22word

"Honestly,

I like this game.

I just think not enough people are aware of how I hated everything in it,

how it ruined gaming, and how it funded a worldwide ring of serial killers.

Drunkenly namedropping System Shock 2 about five thousand more times in a completely different game's thread will solve everything, of course."

"Gee wizz mom, I can quote the same message segmented and it really makes me look like I put some effort in to reply rather than shitpost! Does this make me a good poster or just look like a little kid throwing a tantrum?"

In all seriousness though, it is fully possible to both like something and have the capacity to be critical of it. I mean, if you're not still a toddler that is.

Top Bottom