• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong on Steam Is Still at 10/10 Score Even After 200K User Reviews

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

In case you didn’t know, GameScience’s release of Black Myth Wukong has been such a success that it managed to amass the most concurrent players for a single-player in Steam history. Not only that, but even after days of being out, and even after 200,000 user reviews, the game is still rated a 10/10 or a full five stars!

Players can see that right now where, at the time of this writing, lists 226,918 reviews with an average score of 101/ or five stars.

The Steam page for Black Myth Wukong lists 224,708 reviews that are “overwhelmingly positive” as of August 22. Of course, most people will likely point to China’s population review padding the action game, which is an assumption at this. Currently, there are over 8,000 negative reviews on Steam, which is even less than 5% of the total user reviews, which explains why it’s sitting at that score at this time.

Of course, GameScience’s debut AAA title is legitimately a good game (according to non-China-based critics), which doesn’t make this sight that odd to see. That said, it is getting a nice boost from players in China, which is understandable given the subject matter.

For those unaware, the Sun Wukong legend is something that’s been told and shared for generations within Chinese families. Heck, even someone that’s half-Chinese (me), have heard the stories and read the books when I was growing up.

To further emphasize its influence, Reddit userElvisis2 made a valid point stating, “Do people not realize what this game means for Chinese people? I’ve seen comparisons to Harry Potter, LOTR, and other fandoms but it much, much deeper than that. Imagine a story your entire family knows and grew up on themselves, with a plot that is YOUR culture and YOUR religion, with hundreds of different characters you’ve known and loved your entire life. It’s astounding what this game means to the people of China. I live in China and I’ve been playing it non-stop. My wife is Chinese and her grandparents were over for dinner and could name every single character on the TV, no matter the scene. It was insane.”

cormack12

Gold Member
Well see about that queen

1ZAahnB.jpeg

Filben

Good thing Steam offers refunds. Ultimately it doesn't matter really; just try it out for yourself. There's little to zero risk.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Played for around 2 hours last night. It is surprisingly good. Like Sony first party quality good. I was expecting euro/korean jank but it is extremely well crafted both in terms of visual quality and gameplay. The menus alone feel like they are designed by fucking Apple. yes, games have had next gen visuals before. Alan Wake, Avatar, Demon Souls, but this is like playing a Naughty Dog game. it's just a cut above the rest. It's not just fancy tech, it's actually beautiful like a Naughty Dog game.

As for the combat, it is so much more fun than souls and other souls clones. They give you so many different options and while the game is still challenging, it never feels unfair or frustrating. it's just fun.

Honestly, i dont know if its going to be a 10. i never give out tens. But i dont see how anyone would hate this game. It has none of the hallmarks of modern day issues like woke storytelling, annoying characters, forced walking segments, ugly visuals, dated last gen gameplay, forced multiplayer, bugs, lack of general polish etc. It is just one of those Sony first party titles that used to come in with polish and quality that you didnt quite see in other non-Rockstar games.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Played for around 2 hours last night. It is surprisingly good. Like Sony first party quality good. I was expecting euro/korean jank but it is extremely well crafted both in terms of visual quality and gameplay. The menus alone feel like they are designed by fucking Apple. yes, games have had next gen visuals before. Alan Wake, Avatar, Demon Souls, but this is like playing a Naughty Dog game. it's just a cut above the rest. It's not just fancy tech, it's actually beautiful like a Naughty Dog game.

As for the combat, it is so much more fun than souls and other souls clones. They give you so many different options and while the game is still challenging, it never feels unfair or frustrating. it's just fun.

Honestly, i dont know if its going to be a 10. i never give out tens. But i dont see how anyone would hate this game. It has none of the hallmarks of modern day issues like woke storytelling, annoying characters, forced walking segments, ugly visuals, dated last gen gameplay, forced multiplayer, bugs, lack of general polish etc. It is just one of those Sony first party titles that used to come in with polish and quality that you didnt quite see in other non-Rockstar games.
Yep, and the fact that this was designed solely for single player makes it so devs don't have to worry about multiplayer balance or summons. Shadow of the Erdtree pushed the meter far, far beyond "difficult but fair" for solo players. It got to the point I was just praying for the bosses to chain easily exploitable attacks so I could just punish them. I felt like a lot of my wins were more due to luck than skill.

Wukong so far has a decent level of challenge (even a bit too forgiving so far), but it's quite fair. Still, remains to be seen what the rest of the game has in store. I'm only at Chapter 3 now.

Fess

Yeah 5 hours in and so far it’s my GOTY. It has actually surpassed my already high expectations, very rare. Love the combat, skill tree, bosses, graphics, design.

Sentenza

I've been playing it for the past two days and you know what?
All the hype about "breaking records" aside, it's genuinely pretty fucking great.

COmbat isn't as tight as a From Software title, but it's more than serviceable enough and everything else about the game keeps impressing me more and more with every passing hour.

Level structure, character design and density of content are all fairly impressive.
I'm at the tail end of the second chapter (unless I'm missing some other secret I think I've just the final boss left to deal with) and I can't believe how many ENTIRELY DIFFERENT bosses I've already stumbled into so far.
Several of which hidden enough that it would be pretty damn easy to miss them for anyone who doesn't go out of his way to do minor sidequests etc.

Last edited:

proandrad

We should really stop assuming everyone judges games by western standards. Maybe they don’t care if a game has a surface level rpg leveling system with combat that isn’t very deep. Maybe they just want a game that looks flashy with insane cut scenes. Don’t the transformers movie do well in china for the same reason? Western gamers have become so hard to please. Sometimes I wonder if some of you even enjoy playing video games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom