• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Alright, WuKong downloaded all 104GB overnight so I've finally been able to dig in past the prologue. It's time to keep it all the way real: the game is absolutely awesome and exceeding my expectations! I'm playing on PS5 in Performance Mode which has been super smooth thus far, looks gorgeous on my OLED, definitely amongst the best looking games this gen.

Combat is fluid and impactful, the animations are lush and filled with verve for both you and your enemies. English voices are *fantastic*, really need to emphasize this. The world and it's mythology is immediately compelling and I appreciate meaty lore entries for every single enemy which each begin with a little poem before going into a full blown story:

vp3cQnO.jpeg

I'm sure many will ignore this and race headlong through the game as if it's a competition to see who can finish fastest but I love stuff like this and I'm reading through it all. If I have any criticism thus far it's the lackluster DualSense support, missed opportunity here, proper haptics have elevated every single game that utilized them but especially action heavy stuff like Wukong.

Pro-tip for the monk head in the opening area (such a cool enemy). Skyfall strike will knock his ass down every single time, it's a beautiful thing, I love organically discovering tactics like this:

Loving everything about the game, can't wait to see where this monkey journey takes me 🐒🐒🐒

M1987

Game sound great, getting close to pulling trigger here.

Curious about performance after the DF video. Game looks stunning, but it's proper heavy. Sitting with an i9 10900k, RTX3090, 64GB DDR4 RAM, would be targeting 3440x1440. Anyone else running something similar? Seems like RT might be off the cards if I want 60FPS?
I'm getting 70 to 85fps 4k DLSS Balanced high settings with textures at cinematic without RT on a 3080ti,so you should be good at 1440p DLSS Quality

Finished chapter 1 last night game is really solid. Game reminds me of bloodborne the most, with the focus on dodging but also OG god of war with mana abilities and Nioh 2 quick transformations.

It's got it's own identity though the abilities and especially the artstyle make it really stand out and the long transformations are an amazing idea I've been wanting a game to do for a while now. Building up to heavy attacks with light attacks is also very interesting.

The challenge seems to be very well tuned. I'am sick of difficulty through massive enemy damage, looking at you Elden ring. It seem to push me into playing boring because if I make one mistake I'am dead.

Not here it seems both you and the bosses can take more damage resulting in interesting back and forth combat before you die. I'am still dying but getting a lot further into fight which is more fun experience.

Good stuff we will see how it holds up

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
So PS5 users ... worth picking up now or wait for a sale? I love rpgs but not really into soulslikes. The leveling system and upgrades look fun imo.

tommib

So PS5 users ... worth picking up now or wait for a sale? I love rpgs but not really into soulslikes. The leveling system and upgrades look fun imo.
Wait for the Pro. All current modes have frame rates unlocked. You’ll have a much better experience with image quality and fluidity.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Anyone else appreciates how expressive the NPCs are? I love wandering into places and glance at the enemies like those fox guys. They talk to one another, clean their fur, play with their weapons.

I also like how friendly NPCs do things. It’s not a million things, but it’s refreshing to see them hunched over a table reading or lying down and drinking.

This always irked me in Souls games where the NPCs just stand there like statues and have no body language whatsoever.

clarky

Gold Member
Yep, 4090 @ 4k everything maxed (including ray tracing), DLSS performance and I'm getting around 80fps. DLSS quality with the same settings but with frame gen on also nets around 80fps, so if you have similar hardware it comes down to personal preference.

Traversal stutter is more an occasional annoyance than anything else, doesn't happen during combat, just as you're moving through the world and it's loading in new assets in the background for the first time.

One thing to note, traversal stutter is a tiny bit less noticeable with frame gen on.

Cheers mate. Seems acceptable for the 4090. Seems like a good excuse to start thinking about a 5090 lol. Stutter is a major gripe for me, but sounds minor, good to hear.

I'll grab it next week when work stops getting in the way, thanks again for the reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
That chapter 2 opening though 🔥🔥🔥

I thought I got everything in chapter 1 but I'm missing a King in the bestiary, found every other enemy. I've got to show love for how this game handles "loot" in that it's deliberate and thoughtful. Armor sets with bonuses based on how many pieces you have equipped is nothing new but I appreciate that the player isn't flooded with a constant stream of junk, makes getting new weapons/armor/trinkets more impactful.

Speaking of set bonuses, this game is doing some unique stuff with some of the perks. An example is a set that gives you "greatly reduced stamina consumption when battling in water" if you have 3 pieces equipped. I love the specificity of that and while it might seem situational each successive armor set has greater DEF than the previous one so there is practical utility to be found when getting something new, not to mention the visual variety. Synergies between armor sets/weapons/trinkets/spells make things even more exciting.

I love that a lot of the regular enemies have something to say when you approach them, makes the world feel alive and vibrant. Production values overall are super high across every facet of the design, it's amazing to think that when this was first revealed - and even well after - many believed (myself included) that this would turn out to be vaporware. The past year convinced me it was real, I kept a cautious optimism hoping they could deliver and man - so far at least - they absolutely have, I'm mighty impressed.

Last point before I dive back in, love the transformations, definitely reminiscent of Nioh 2's Yōkai abilities. The game gives you lots of fun tools to play with. The first spell simply freezes enemies in place for a few seconds but it's oh so satisfying to use, there is a beauty in it's simplicity and usefulness, not everything needs to be razzle dazzle (though there is plenty of that too).

Last edited:

Fess

Weird cause i get pretty noticeable amount of microstutter on a regular 4080 and 7950x on a VRR display even when using a 60fps limit, i am using DLAA to get rid of that sharpening though (still looks oversharpened in places), but its only at 1440p, i wonder if i am running into some VRAM limit because of that. What res are you running at?

Stutter a bit more than other UE5 games like Banishers or Robocop which were pretty much flawless even on my second pc, but not nearly as bad as fallen order or some UE4 games.
4K resolution but I set the Super Resolution to 62 or 63 if I remember correctly, just enough to get it to quality. Don’t know what that ends up as natively, slightly above 1080p maybe? Edit: Was set to 50. So 1080p?
Looks fantastic nonetheless. Every graphics setting is maxed.
4080S, 7800X3D, random 32GB RAM nothing special, 990 Pro SSD.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Cheers mate. Seems acceptable for the 4090. Seems like a good excuse to start thinking about a 5090 lol. Stutter is a major gripe for me, but sounds minor, good to hear.

I'll grab it next week when work stops getting in the way, thanks again for the reply.

FWIW a 5090 won't fix shader compilation stutter, it's an issue that needs to be solved on the developers side.

JCK75

Broke down and bought it on steam yesterday..
Really pleased with how well it runs on my work rig (XPS 8930 upgraded the GTX 1060 to an RTX 3060)
well over 60fps high at 1080P no raytracing.. but it's absolutely stunning.

Ammogeddon

A hour in and the game looks pretty bad on perf/balanced. On quality it's better but still meh.
Other than the graphics the game is great and runs good so far.
I usually go for balanced mode in games where it’s available but the balance mode in this game is the worst I’ve ever experienced, I wonder if it’s actually broke and needs patching.

And I think you meant to say performance mode is better ;)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just got to the second chapter. Man, this game is incredible. I mean, I've a few complaints of course, like, I wish that there was a better traversal system with an ability to get to the high places like at least in Wo Long without invisible walls, I also wish for all the lore entries to be voiced by the Keeper / Narrator (there's a shit ton very cool lore pieces with very cool art and stuff for each enemy, character and bosses, but it'll take ages to read), the combat was less clunky, less floaty and more responsive, but other than that it's a super solid and more focused soils-like with great boss fights, great character / enemy / boss designs and variety, outstanding art-direction and visuals as a whole (a bit buggy at times, but nothing a patch or two can't fix).

XBVabNB.jpeg

Btw, how many of you guys gone to the next chapter right away? Well, if some of you did it right away, you've missed bits of lore here which you can discover here by looking at various scenes in the artwork (which is god-tier btw):messenger_relieved:

clarky

Gold Member
Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: GHG

GymWolf

Gold Member
Anyone else appreciates how expressive the NPCs are? I love wandering into places and glance at the enemies like those fox guys. They talk to one another, clean their fur, play with their weapons.

I also like how friendly NPCs do things. It’s not a million things, but it’s refreshing to see them hunched over a table reading or lying down and drinking.

This always irked me in Souls games where the NPCs just stand there like statues and have no body language whatsoever.
After this game there is no excuse anymore for fromsoft, the game play wonderfully (arguably more fluid and with better camera and lock-on than most souls games tbh), has a shitload of content, and looks and animate like a AAAA.

And it's their first fucking game with probably a smaller budget than elden ring...

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Really dug this guy. And went through the whole “should I hit him or not?”

cwHJNve.jpeg

Fortunately you can’t beat up horse bro

hollams

Gold Member
I'm enjoying the game and I think I may have had better performance before installing the latest Nvidia Driver.

Took me around 2 hours to beat the
White Noble
The fight seemed too tough, too soon as none of the other required fights were anything close to that one. I'm glad you can respec at anytime.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Reached chapter 3. Chapter 2 definitely better than the first. Looks like i missed a lot of stuff damnit. Gotta go back but hard to remember the map without an actual map

there is an npc quest to get meat from the tiger temple but i cant find it

Last edited:
Download the "TrueHDRTweaks" file at the top from here - https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/781?tab=files , pop it into the games exe folder (BlackMythWukong\b1\Binaries\Win64), and change quality in the tweaks ini to 0. This disables the deband filter that causes the performance loss with RTX HDR. RTX HDR still looks outstanding even without the deband filter, so give this a try.
Got this to work, now the difference is only about 5fps, which is definitely worth it. Thanks!

Hugare

I'm really rusty when it comes to this type of games. Been having my ass handled to me by that "giant fatty monk" right at the beginning of the wolf forest

Game looks incredible and plays even better

My favorite new IP this gen so far, tied with Returnal. Quality through and through.

So glad that the hype paid off and the devs are being rewarded by their fine work.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Reached chapter 3. Chapter 2 definitely better than the first. Looks like i missed a lot of stuff damnit. Gotta go back but hard to remember the map without an actual map

there is an npc quest to get meat from the tiger temple but i cant find it
Go to the temple, the dude should be there on the right of the entrance. You don't have to find meat. Then go back to the original area after speaking to him.

DosGamer

I am ready for the shit talking, but I am curious if the game has an easier than default mode? I like the idea and concept of the game, but these types of games always frustrate me to the point of stopping...
But if there is an easier mode.....

Gaiff

I am ready for the shit talking, but I am curious if the game has an easier than default mode? I like the idea and concept of the game, but these types of games always frustrate me to the point of stopping...
But if there is an easier mode.....
There isn't, but the game is quite forgiving so far. I just completed Chapter 1 and it's not an exercise in frustration. Some decently challenging bosses, but none that felt impossible. Way easier than From stuff at least. Also, random mobs don't hit you for half of your health with a single hit.

Last edited:

DosGamer

There isn't, but the game is quite forgiving so far. I just completed Chapter 1 and it's not an exercise in frustration. Some decently challenging bosses, but none that felt impossible. Way easier than From stuff at least.
That was my worry. Elden Ring kicked my ass and made me afraid to die and spend time corpse running... Same with the Souls games.
I loved Bloodbourne, but didnt get very far in that either... I think redoing my paths over and over made it too frustrating.
If this game fixes that, i might give it a try.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
What an incredible game. It looks amazing maxed completely out. FPS mostly hovers in the 90s for me with everything fully maxed. I do of course get the hitching/hiccup stuff when new assets are loading. I saw this happen once in a boss fight too, no idea what that was but it didn't repeat.

I'm stuck on the Whiteclad gentleman, though. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Gaiff

That was my worry. Elden Ring kicked my ass and made me afraid to die and spend time corpse running... Same with the Souls games.
I loved Bloodbourne, but didnt get very far in that either... I think redoing my paths over and over made it too frustrating.
If this game fixes that, i might give it a try.
You don't lose anything upon dying either, so there's less to worry about. I edited my post, but the random mobs are also much weaker. In Elden Ring, some respawning mooks can easily fuck your day up. In Wukong so far, most regular enemies are really weak. It's only some bosses you have to worry about. I didn't get frustrated yet and you don't dread that some crazy enemies are waiting for you behind every corner.

For instance, at the end of Chapter 1, there is a part where you have to face several archers who shoot fire arrows at you. I got hit A LOT but didn't come close to dying. In a From game, I would have been toast and probably had to redo the area at least twice.

I say take the plunge. It's a decent challenge but nothing too hard and certainly not on the level of Elden Ring or Bloodborne.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Took me around 2 hours to beat the

I'm stuck on the Whiteclad gentleman, though.

Funny, I beat him on my first try (same with Elder Jinchi, semi-secret boss). Lots of dodging, liberal use of immobilize, make sure you crafted the latest armor etc.

Hardest challenge in ch. 1 for me was the miniboss monk near the beginning, even the chapter end boss only took me 3 attempts.

Going to reiterate for a *third* time how good the English voiceover is, like so much else in the game they looked at the FROM playbook and took the right inspirations. Souls DNA runs deep in Wukong, let's not fool ourselves lol and as much as I'm genuinely *loving* the game nothing in it comes close to FROM's art design, two different planets.

What's here is great though and as much as it borrows from other games (took a page out of the Lies of P playbook too showing where NPC's are when fast traveling, I approve) it absolutely has an identity all it's own and is definitely more approachable to those turned off by FROM's hardcore challenge 👌

ClosBSAS

The fuck man...nvidia drivers broke my game...i was able to play at 100% resolution DLAA and now it goes at 7fps...wtf is this bs

Hugare

Most games peak during the first day, but this just keeps on going up.

Ylgba8Z.png

New games usually peak during the first weekend after release

Weekend numbers will be huge

Due to timezones, there wont be a West + China situation where everyone plays together, so the numbers wont get as ridiculous as it could have been

ClosBSAS

It runs surprisingly well on my 4080S. I have it connected to a TV without VRR and high refresh modes so can only see 60fps max and a drop means 30fps. But it is seemingly welded shut at 60 with RT very high and cinematic, never seen a single dip. Guess later areas could be more taxing but so far so good.
Whats ur resolution scaler set too? I have the same gpu and yesterday i was able to set it to 100%, after nvidia drivers...shit broke and now i have to go 60

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Beat the chapter 3 lake boss on like my 4th try?

This is by far the worst boss in the game. Hit boxes are shit, the stupid command grab damage, chasing it down to get to hit it, and the camera eats shit. Had to unlock to start hitting it somewhat consistently. Thankfully you can crush it so it lies down to let you pour some serious damage into it if you tack on an immobolize.

I hope that's the only boss this shitty, because the rest have been good and fun.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
White robed fool down on the second try

Wasn’t a fan of that surprise
second phase
lol

It definitely pays to be aggressive a la Bloodborne

Last edited:
After this game there is no excuse anymore for fromsoft, the game play wonderfully (arguably more fluid and with better camera and lock-on than most souls games tbh), has a shitload of content, and looks and animate like a AAAA.

And it's their first fucking game with probably a smaller budget than elden ring...
It will be interesting to see how From Software react to this game.
And there Fanboys

This is the first souls like to match or even exceed them in sales. Up to now they could always hide behind the sales to not change shit

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Beat the chapter 3 lake boss on like my 4th try?

This is by far the worst boss in the game. Hit boxes are shit, the stupid command grab damage, chasing it down to get to hit it, and the camera eats shit. Had to unlock to start hitting it somewhat consistently. Thankfully you can crush it so it lies down to let you pour some serious damage into it if you tack on an immobolize.

I hope that's the only boss this shitty, because the rest have been good and fun.
I am stuck here. Not difficult but I can't get a window to hit it.

Fess

Whats ur resolution scaler set too? I have the same gpu and yesterday i was able to set it to 100%, after nvidia drivers...shit broke and now i have to go 60
Never tried 100, I went the lowest possible where it still say quality, could be 62-63, can check tonight. Edit: Was set to 50. Explains a lot.
Either way the game looks unbelivably good, not as detailed as Hellblade 2 but the design is better for me, absolutely love the visuals and animations 👌

One odd thing. I have a PC with 4090 as well, but only 1440p there. No joke I saw drops there. Rotated the camera and saw a stutter where the overlay counter said 44. No idea what’s going on there. Lower res, CPU tanks the performance?

Last edited:
Top Bottom