• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

NeoLed

What is the deal with the
gold buddha boss? dude was super sad/SPOILER]
He was the dead spirit of the head priest/monk of the burned Guanyin temple. He had lived for a long of time but fall to greed when he saw monkey master beautiful robe when they visited the temple. Then he and his two disciple (Guangzhi and Guangmou) plot to steal and kill the group by burning their room. Wu Kong see throught the plot and reverse the fire, burning the temple and the crook monks along with it.

DavidGzz

Turned off the sharpening via a simple mod. Now we're talking! Looks so smooth now. Idk why that was enabled in the first place. What kind of panel benefits from that shit?

april6e

The preorder DLC gourd is mindblowingly good. You could almost make a pay2win argument with how insanely useful it is early game. The full heal the first time you use it has saved my butt so many times in the first few hours.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The preorder DLC gourd is mindblowingly good. You could almost make a pay2win argument with how insanely useful it is early game. The full heal the first time you use it has saved my butt so many times in the first few hours.
Oh, so that's what it does. I thought it was just a skin lol.

Fess

It runs surprisingly well on my 4080S. I have it connected to a TV without VRR and high refresh modes so can only see 60fps max and a drop means 30fps. But it is seemingly welded shut at 60 with RT very high and cinematic, never seen a single dip. Guess later areas could be more taxing but so far so good.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It runs surprisingly well on my 4080S.
5269558397_64406aeb94.jpg

Fuck... hurry up and release a physical version that isn't an ultimate edition and isn't tied to some oddball online company store.

I caved and bought it. The previews leading up to this game made me think it was just a boss rush, and with my first hour or so playing there are a decent amount, but there are other enemies and areas to explore around. Its actually pretty damn good so far and the performance on PS5 has been good for me. Wasn't expecting that with how that version wasn't reviewed.

Also early on, I like the challenge. It doesn't seem souls level hard, but it's not really a walk in the park either where you can just play as a hack and slash and still win. Not sure if there's gonna be a difficult jump or what, but early returns... I love everything about it.

nikos

Made it to chapter two.

Game is OK so far. I don't love it but I also don't dislike it. That said, I'm already looking forward to playing again when I'm a bit more awake.

Imtjnotu

game runs fine on my rig.

7900x
4080s
64gb 6000

with everything at cinematic, frame gen on and raytracing full, im getting around 80fps

Also playing on a 48" C2 with the game set to 4k.

1440p was a blurry mess

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So glad I had the mats to make the full set when you get the ability to make different armor because I now feel like you run at a more normal pace. The default jog felt like slow-mo somewhat.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Made it to chapter 3.

Chapter 2 was massive. Huge compared to chapter one. Final boss of chapter 2 had me losing for a bit then I stopped spending my mana on anything that wasn’t immobilize. While summoning 5 monkeys to beat his ass seems good, the trade off is like 5+ casts of immobilization. Not worth it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Is this another souls-like? Guessing yes...
No. God of war 2018 basically.

I feel bad for the devs. Dozens of posts in here just thinking that’s what this game is. They need better marketing out west to let people know what this is.

It’s a flashier god of war 2018.

—-

Also that stop motion/claymation cut scene end of chapter 2 was fucked up lmao.

Fess

Heh yeah sorry but pre-launch benchmark videos made it seem like RT would only really be an option on a 4090.
Don’t know what setting I use that benchmarkers didn’t use. My TV can’t do sub 60 without falling down to 30 so I thought there would be some noticeable stutter but it’s super smooth.

T4keD0wN

Heh yeah sorry but pre-launch benchmark videos made it seem like RT would only really be an option on a 4090.
Don’t know what setting I use that benchmarkers didn’t use. My TV can’t do sub 60 without falling down to 30 so I thought there would be some noticeable stutter but it’s super smooth.
Weird cause i get pretty noticeable amount of microstutter on a regular 4080 and 7950x on a VRR display even when using a 60fps limit, i am using DLAA to get rid of that sharpening though (still looks oversharpened in places), but its only at 1440p, i wonder if i am running into some VRAM limit because of that. What res are you running at?

Stutter a bit more than other UE5 games like Banishers or Robocop which were pretty much flawless even on my second pc, but not nearly as bad as fallen order or some UE4 games.

Last edited:
The benchmarkers mostly used RT Very High which crushes everything less than 4090, and also because upscaling + framegen complicates comparisons too much the benchmarkers mostly used native res to compare apples to apples

The average gamer at home won't be trying to run RT Very High on anything short of a 4080 or 4090 nor will they be trying to run at native res. It's much easier to hit 60 fps once you're willing to use upscaling + framegen and RT Low or Medium

ZehDon

Game sound great, getting close to pulling trigger here.

Curious about performance after the DF video. Game looks stunning, but it's proper heavy. Sitting with an i9 10900k, RTX3090, 64GB DDR4 RAM, would be targeting 3440x1440. Anyone else running something similar? Seems like RT might be off the cards if I want 60FPS?

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You can also enable UE5s vurtual shadow maps instead of low quality in-game option - https://www.nexusmods.com/blackmythwukong/mods/22

And there's this as well - https://www.nexusmods.com/blackmythwukong/mods/13

Last edited:

DavidGzz

omg it looks so much better without that awful sharpening holy shit. Who thought that was a good idea. Good bless pc gaming

Yeah dude it's insane. It looks quite a bit better on my OLED and on my work monitor it is night and day. So smooth in comparison it's nuts.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
omg it looks so much better without that awful sharpening holy shit. Who thought that was a good idea. Good bless pc gaming
Probably the same kind of idiots who while creating posters for movies and alike in PS, oversharpening the image and make it look "more detailed". It's a common problem with UE games and UE4 and UE5 in particular. And yeah, god bless pc gaming🙏

Pretty cool that we have this just the day after release. Many thanks for sharing!
giphy.gif

DavidGzz

So, I just now noticed that you could level up the spells and transformations. I never clicked over to the right side in Self-Advance, always clicked on either abilities or staff stances lol.

Last edited:

tommib

Wonder if they’ll have that added to the PS5 version as a toggle.

I wish the pro was out. All graphic modes for the PS5 are unlocked. I could be running quality at about 45 fps I guess.

When are you able to get souls? I killed Bonk Monk at the beginning and I couldn't get the soul, I've read I can get it from a shrine but I don't know when

GHG

Gold Member
It does indeed look spectacular, i take it you're on PC?

How bad is the traversal stutter?

Yep, 4090 @ 4k everything maxed (including ray tracing), DLSS performance and I'm getting around 80fps. DLSS quality with the same settings but with frame gen on also nets around 80fps, so if you have similar hardware it comes down to personal preference.

Traversal stutter is more an occasional annoyance than anything else, doesn't happen during combat, just as you're moving through the world and it's loading in new assets in the background for the first time.

One thing to note, traversal stutter is a tiny bit less noticeable with frame gen on.

GHG

Gold Member
Game sound great, getting close to pulling trigger here.

Curious about performance after the DF video. Game looks stunning, but it's proper heavy. Sitting with an i9 10900k, RTX3090, 64GB DDR4 RAM, would be targeting 3440x1440. Anyone else running something similar? Seems like RT might be off the cards if I want 60FPS?

Follow this guys channel:

Should give you a rough idea for your hardware for all major new releases.

DavidGzz

Ok, can confirm that you are able to retrieve souls you missed because you didn't have guidance yet. Just got the frogs souls at the bonfire.

Top Bottom