• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

simpatico

Gold Member
There are delicious copes happening on Twitter right now. The wokes are saying this game was ordered by the CCP to discredit American liberalism. They’re dead serious too. Tried to tell them if it was that easy and you could just order a viral hit, Ubisoft and EA would not be floundering so much.

SkylineRKR

I start to think I want to buy this, for PS5.

I looked up some gameplay and i'm happy it isn't another soulslike. Its just an action adventure game with lots of bosses and some solid fighting. I was actually thinking of what God of War had become. Imagine if that game dumped all the fucking banter and shit, and just doubled down on you know, fighting and bosses. It looks like Black Myth actually does that.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Haven’t been this hooked on a game in god knows. Bout fucking time forreal.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I looked up some gameplay and i'm happy it isn't another soulslike. Its just an action adventure game with lots of bosses and some solid fighting.
I'm about 4 hours in and I think this is the perfect game for people who are intimidated by souls games.

It lets you dip your toe into the pool without you throwing your controller and punching holes in your walls.

This game is amazing! From what I've played, I would give this a 9.

I almost finish(maybe?) Chapter 2 and have fought more than 10 bosses. Maybe only 1 sub boss left. Not really sure since the more i explored the more boss I found lol.

The open area is big AF and has dozen of things to explore. There're a lot of strong normal enemy. This clearly not boss rush game like people thought it is.

Last edited:

keefged4

Can you describe CAS for me please?

Is it one single reshade effect and if so which effect bundle is it part of so I can try it.

Thnx
Its a reshade shader. Contrast Adaptive Sharpening. Turning off UE5's tonemapping sharpening with the mod does make the game a tad blurry, so adding in CAS using reshade brings the image back to looking crisp without the haloing that the native sharpening filter introduces. CAS is included in the default installation of reshade, specifially the SweetFX pack.

keefged4

Man just now realizing how much performance loss you get with RTX HDR, it's around 20% for me.
Yep, without it averaging around 95-100 fps, down to about 80 with it. Imma leave it off and just hope they officially add HDR.
Download the "TrueHDRTweaks" file at the top from here - https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/781?tab=files , pop it into the games exe folder (BlackMythWukong\b1\Binaries\Win64), and change quality in the tweaks ini to 0. This disables the deband filter that causes the performance loss with RTX HDR. RTX HDR still looks outstanding even without the deband filter, so give this a try.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is the game similar to Stellar blade? I loved it.
Might buy it now on PS5.
I think you will be impressed by the enemy types and the level design. I can’t wait to play more.

There are delicious copes happening on Twitter right now. The wokes are saying this game was ordered by the CCP to discredit American liberalism. They’re dead serious too. Tried to tell them if it was that easy and you could just order a viral hit, Ubisoft and EA would not be floundering so much.
Remember the Russian general who blamed Metal Gear Solid for being a US Intelligent Project yet it’s from a Japanese development studio. Some people are mental. Same people probably think MSG is harmful.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Guess not, but any way to either increase the subtitle size or improve the quality of the DLSS implemented here? Those are my only annoyances so far.

And man what an intro lol. Not only is it spectacular (those cloud effects!) but it also made me love Wukong from the get go, the cheeky monkey.

ps: was having some serious tearing, which is fixable by forcing v-sync on the nvidia panel while disabling it in-game. Also set low latency mode to ultra, dunno what it does but it sounds cool.

Last edited:
I think I just go back to the past when the main bosses are still good monsters. Fought the tiger when he was young and meet the rat king before they turned corrupted.

Didn't notice until I finished that area.

Last edited:
Just got salty over dying lol. Will go back in tonight.
same! if you're dying from that big head miniboss, finally figured it the F out. kept trying to use my heavy attack. it's a square button mash battle. light attack combos, dodging and opportune freezes. literally switched to that method and killed him in 2 trys after almost 3 hours of not being able to beat him. only 79 more bosses to go! (beat the fire wolf 2nd try wiht the same technique)

Anyone else have a slight grey tint when playing? Every time I press the windows key when the start menu pops up the colours on the screen then seem like what it should be, the moment I click back on the screen that very light washed out grey look comes back

Dynasty8

Just caved and bought the game. Let's see how this goes....anything I need to know story/lore wise before playing?

Antwix

Fuck. Was waiting for reviews and seems like a solid game. idk whether to wait until xbox versions get released or try to PC it with my 6700xt. Hmm... ill maybe sit on it for a couple days.

Just caved and bought the game. Let's see how this goes....anything I need to know story/lore wise before playing?
I mean that depends on how serious you want to be about it. You could read Journey to the West but it's very long and not something you just casually decide to do

The Wikipedia entry about it has a pretty good summary of the novel and the characters and that's plenty to get started with for playing a video game

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wukong reached godhood but he doesn't really enjoy it, and he'd rather stay at his mountain with his fellow monkeys, so he forgeits his goodhod and goes back to his kingdom.

Gods doesn't like that one bit and that's where the game starts.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

I mean that depends on how serious you want to be about it. You could read Journey to the West but it's very long and not something you just casually decide to do

The Wikipedia entry about it has a pretty good summary of the novel and the characters and that's plenty to get started with for playing a video game

Something to get me more immersed and invested in the world. I might check out a YouTube video...I did play Enslaved, but that was like 15 years ago.

Hugare

Playing it on the PS5, Quality Mode

The game is a visual tour de force, goddamn

First minutes are just incredible. The visuals, the cinematography and scale are insane.

One of the best visuals of this gen, easily. And the best UE 5 showcase in a game yet, imo.

And the framerate is holding up pretty fine so far, for those that are worried.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

This is the most mixed bag game of all time.

On the one hand, you've got the positives, like it not being a souls-like and doesn't bother with useless features like HDR.

On the other hand, you've got RT, which is nice but has very little impact and the game is polluted with the stink of the unreal engine which will break your CPU as the game stutters to a new area.

simpatico

Gold Member
The only thing Souls like is the checkpoint system. You can even level up outside of the checkpoints. I don't even know if you lose XP when you die. The combat is much more Devil May Cry or the new Respawn Star Wars series. Nothing Soulslike about it, aside from maybe having to take your time with bosses. Speaking of which, the earliest ones can be easily beaten with patience. If you're willing to spend a minute you could even no hit them.

Getting better perf than I imagined too. GTX 1080 and 7800x3D. Getting over 60 in the forest with FSR and a mix of medium and high. Nothing on low. Got a few drops to the 40s in the big crazy opening scene. Averaging around 80 after that. No stutters that I've noticed at all. Guess it's not so bad if you skip the RT. Looks fantastic still. Volumetrics are still quite impressive. I'm really loving the tone of the game. Whimsical without being stupid. Really fun to play. Highly recommend if you're thinking about it. It's nowhere near as hard as a Souls game (so far).

Last edited:
Anybody know if the game supports any Dualsense special features on PC?

Also did anyone pay the extra $10 for the Deluxe, is the included stuff worth it? It's just cosmetic items I think?

Last edited:

Shakka43

Friendly fire between comrades.

GHG

Gold Member
Well, the introduction was spectacular, pleasantly surpised. Finding the game easy so far, also feels a bit strange coming from Elden Ring with all these invisible walls around, but it does look really good.

eiQGGm.png

eiQy9Z.png

eiQlEr.png

eiQbDc.png

eiQYWA.png

eiQng0.png

eiQD5a.png

eiQLDq.png

eiQFcx.png

eiQxWK.png

eiV1k7.png

Feels strange to be playing a game that we all thought (myself included) wasn't real for so long. From what I've played so far, they've pulled it off.

TintoConCasera

They really put a ton of lore and care on the bestiary, love reading those entries whenever I want to have a little rest.

Thing is, I'm playing in spanish and some of those entries aren't translated... You get them in english with an added message of "dear reader please wait, we are working on this!". Weirdest thing I've seen in a while.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Why am I struggling so much with white clad noble. Jfc.
He’s definitely quite challenging, especially compared to the other bosses up to that point.

I used that consumable to reduce damage and the summon that sprouts snakes from the ground that venom.

I’m liking the game a lot so far. My main problem is with the level layouts. Way too many invisible walls and not enough freedom to explore. Everything feels hemmed in not unlike Fable. Still, the game is gorgeous, love the atmosphere, and the combat is very fun. The bosses are a bit on the easy side, but I’m expecting the challenge to ramp up.

Last edited:
Playing it on the PS5, Quality Mode

The game is a visual tour de force, goddamn

First minutes are just incredible. The visuals, the cinematography and scale are insane.

One of the best visuals of this gen, easily. And the best UE 5 showcase in a game yet, imo.

And the framerate is holding up pretty fine so far, for those that are worried.
Can you manage the combat at 30 fps?

clarky

Gold Member
Well, the introduction was spectacular, pleasantly surpised. Finding the game easy so far, also feels a bit strange coming from Elden Ring with all these invisible walls around, but it does look really good.

eiQGGm.png

eiQy9Z.png

eiQlEr.png

eiQbDc.png

eiQYWA.png

eiQng0.png

eiQD5a.png

eiQLDq.png

eiQFcx.png

eiQxWK.png

eiV1k7.png

Feels strange to be playing a game that we all thought (myself included) wasn't real for so long. From what I've played so far, they've pulled it off.
It does indeed look spectacular, i take it you're on PC?

How bad is the traversal stutter?

Last edited:

Blindy

Game was running so smoothly for me on PS5 Performance mode and weak motion blur and everything..................until one boss in Chapter 2.
Tiger Vanguard
. I don't know if it's the water effect or whatever but this was dipping well below 30 FPS, it was borderline slideshow shit and this is a boss that hits hard and you have to really hit your dodges on so not being able to forecast what it is that he's doing was frustrating, especially when it has tricks to vanish off screen and try and surprise you. Was stuck on this boss for a good half hour, mostly on how bad of a boss fight this was performance wise.

Be warned, this was by far the worst boss fight thus far on the game for me.

Top Bottom