• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

The_hunter

Is there a physical release (actual disc in case) or is this digital only (PS5)? My PC could probably run it (3080 + 12 core AMD ryzen of some gen - forgot which one), but I wouldn't play this myself so I'm thinking it would be a good gift for my boy.

Also there's some discussion about how Solusy it is - someone mentioned it's more like God of War 2018 (which I did manage to beat, although I didn't try and get all the tophies and do the Valkyrie fights), others are saying it's more like a FROM game (which I can't stand).
Digital only.

FeastYoEyes

Restart the game. I had this happen once and it seemed to be a bug. It should run great. I get 80-100fps on my 4070ti all very high including Ray tracing.
Interesting I'll give that a try. I was getting a ton of stuttering with high frames so it seems odd.

NeoLed

Okay, varied combo... How does that work?

Wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I'm playing in spanish, but imo the skill descriptions don't do a great job at explaining things.

Thanks fren, gonna try with it off since I have that same TV.
Need to learn it. Every stance skill tree have two path. (most left line are for general use) Varied combo should be on the right side of the path

Smash stance : Resolute Counterflow --> Skyfall

Pillar stance : whirlwind move
Thrust stance : backstep --> quick thrust

Vroadstar

Need to learn it. Every stance skill tree have two path. (most left line are for general use) Varied combo should be on the right side of the path

Smash stance : Resolute Counterflow --> Skyfall

Pillar stance : whirlwind move
Thrust stance : backstep --> quick thrust

Thanks for this, I was also wondering about it and I'm already at the Black Bear boss without knowing what a varied combo is.

Vroadstar

Wonder how long til they fix the PS5 version

I'm on PS5 as well, the game is still a beauty and perfectly playable. Do they need to patch it to get better performance/IQ sure, I am all for it. But fix in terms because it's unplayable, not really. But I understand if some people will feel that way as well.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Crazy how Chapter 2 is more open than Chapter 1
Chapter 2 is huge. I also found a secret area, but not sure if it counts for chapter 2. It's a whole different map.

This game is really awesome. My only gripes are the countless invisible walls and the lack of verticality. Compared to Souls games, the exploration feels much less organic and interesting. I hope they can improve upon that in the next game they make.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Game runs very poorly even on medium settings on 4070. Doubt it'll be fixed in a patch either.
Something must be wrong on your setup, I've got a 3060 and can run the game at a solid 60 fps (I have the cap set as I was fluctuating between 70-80) at 3840x1080 (32:9 ultrawide with the mod posted earlier) on "high" settings.

Justin9mm

Huh, I had no idea this was released on Youtube with English subtitles some years ago now. If you're interested, this will take you way less time than reading the novel and you can amuse yourself with the amazing (at the time) 1986 vintage special effects LMAO

The newer version is a much nicer watch!

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Chapter 2 is *massive*, loving every second of it. Lots of enemies dropping Silk too, no worries with upgrading. Still rocking the Wolf mask, DMG increase once enemy health hits 20% is hard to give up, there is a marked difference in TTK. Noticed sometimes a red reticle will appear on locked-on enemies but as far as I can tell this game doesn't have deathblows or stealth kills so I don't know what that's all about.

They really need to get rid of stamina consumption on sprint, having skills that reduce the consumption is superfluous, serves no real purpose plus I want my HUD clean when exploring. Wandering Wight still my favourite spirit summon (I've found 7), high DMG and a huge boost to DEF as a passive, good stuff. The journey continues 🐒

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m on Chapter 2. It’s funny how you could assume you’re onto the next chapter after a couple bosses, but you aren’t officially onto the next chapter until the game tells you you are.

Chapter 2 is *massive*, loving every second of it. Lots of enemies dropping Silk too, no worries with upgrading. Still rocking the Wolf mask, DMG increase once enemy health hits 20% is hard to give up, there is a marked difference in TTK. Noticed sometimes a red reticle will appear on locked-on enemies but as far as I can tell this game doesn't have deathblows or stealth kills so I don't know what that's all about.

They really need to get rid of stamina consumption on sprint, having skills that reduce the consumption is superfluous, serves no real purpose plus I want my HUD clean when exploring. Wandering Wight still my favourite spirit summon (I've found 7), high DMG and a huge boost to DEF as a passive, good stuff. The journey continues 🐒
TheDarkPhantom TheDarkPhantom Were you over level 20 in chapter 1? I noticed I couldn’t unlock the pole charge because I was a 15 at the end of chapter 1. I also realized I missed a boss. 🌝

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Were you over level 20 in chapter 1? I noticed I couldn’t unlock the pole charge because I was a 15 at the end of chapter 1. I also realized I missed a boss.

I don't remember but I don't think so, the default stance is still my favourite and how I've beaten every boss thus far. You can travel back to region one, pretty sure you can still access anything you missed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played a few hours, loving the game so far. Pretty lite on the "soulslike" aspects, which is what I was most worried about. Hopefully it doesn't lean into those too heavily in the future chapters. Beat the wolf boss and made it to the snake path bamboo area. Combat is pretty tight, and gets super intense with some of the bosses and mini-bosses the game throws at you. I've died a few times, but it almost always felt fair.

Game is a looker and amazing in 32:9

Last edited:
455253983_2420700368135528_1773366773227106154_n.jpg

Last edited:

Hinddweller

Neo Member
Chapter 3 can go fuck itself.

I refuse to believe journalists didn’t get to this chapter and watch the fun fall off a fucking Cliff. It’s not hard but it is just a shitty area. Uninspired diarrhea with annoying mechanics. Huge step down.
hey just found an interactive map below

It's in Chinese though, hope it helps.

Just finished it last night. It's a dark souls level in the best way possible.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Not sure If I’m going to refund or not…soul like are not for me…graphics are awesome but the gameplay is just not for me 😭

Flabagast

How is the game holding up in the long run? Eurogamer review is very negative, telling overall the game ends up feeling very shallow and barely worth playing except for some flashy boss fights. Makes me hesitant whether to wait for a sale

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Huh, I had no idea this was released on Youtube with English subtitles some years ago now. If you're interested, this will take you way less time than reading the novel and you can amuse yourself with the amazing (at the time) 1986 vintage special effects LMAO

What is this shit, please?

The only live action version anyone needs of this story is this one:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Crouching Tiger meets Hidden Dragon. God damn, talk about the perfect finish:

Took about 6 attempts, nothing too crazy. Can't believe how big this chapter is 💯

Hugare

People saying its not a "Souls-like" must be crazy. It's way faster, but it's 100% a Souls-like.

Tho I gotta say, I'm having more fun with this game than any FROM game since Bloodborne. Bosses feel fair (so far), combat is fair and very varied, skilltree is really good, catching and using spirits from mini bosses is great and etc.

The game has been a masterclass in design. They knocked it out of the park on their first try.

Havent been this invested in a game since I dont know how long. Definitely my GOTY so far.

Braag

The bosses in CH2 are definitely harder than those in CH1, but I'm still getting them done in 1-3 tries. I'm glad this isn't as hard as souls games, I can actually relax and play it after work.
Loving all the tiger bosses, they're fast yet not annoyingly so.

Decided to give the sharpening removal tool a try. It's insane how much better the image is without the excessive sharpening. They really should give us a sharpening slider so we can choose ourselves how much, if at all we want to sharpen the image.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Third chapter is even bigger than the second almost like an open world game. Except that one annoying area I am loving this chapter.

Dibils2k

i been lied to, this is very much a Soulslike, i was told it was more god of war.. which it isnt

regretting purchase right now, wish Sony had the 2 hour refund thing lol

hollams

Gold Member
Started Chapter 2 last night and I still don't feel like I have the timing of the combat down. The combo's aren't really clicking in my head. I need to watch some videos of others playing but I wish the game had a bit better tutorial around those.

Exentryk

Finally got around to starting this and holy crap, what an amazing opening! It wasn't just the setting itself, but how it blended combat and cut-scenes together seamlessly.
Other than that the game is looking fantastic and the combat is enjoyable from the little I played so far.

The performance on the 3080 is pretty rough though (~35 fps at 4k), so might need to go get a better card. I'm half thinking of just getting the 4090 tomorrow, but then the 5090 is coming out in a few months? The 4090 also won't fit in my case most likely, so that is also another issue. Decisions =/

Anyway, enjoying the game so far and can't wait to play more.

Last edited:

Hugare

i been lied to, this is very much a Soulslike, i was told it was more god of war.. which it isnt

regretting purchase right now, wish Sony had the 2 hour refund thing lol
Yeah, people saying this is more like God of War were high or something.

This is not Soulslike my man. A combination of God of War and Sekiro makes more sense.
Why God of War? It has nothing to do with that combat system. It's *much* more akin to Souls games. Camera, enemy behaviour, combat pacing, summons just like Elden Ring, flask mechanic, focus on 1-1 combat and etc.

It's 100% a faster Souls game like Bloodborne. Sekiro is a Souls game dude, just faster and with focus on parrying.

Anyone who you show this game's gameplay to will tell you its a Souls clone.

Personally, I think its inspired by them but it has its own flavour. I love all of ris mechanics so far.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
This is not Soulslike my man. A combination of God of War and Sekiro makes more sense.

lol this is a Souls-like through and through, I say this as someone who has the plat trophies for Sekiro, Bloodborne, Elden Ring, Demon Soul's, God of War 3, GoW 2018 etc and played every game in both "series" from the very beginning.

In other news, this rat fuck is giving me a real headache, first big challenge of the game so far 🐀

FunkMiller

Gold Member
lol this is a Souls-like through and through, I say this as someone who has the plat trophies for Sekiro, Bloodborne, Elden Ring, Demon Soul's, God of War 3, GoW 2018 etc and played every game in both "series" from the very beginning.

In other news, this rat fuck is giving me a real headache, first big challenge of the game so far 🐀

Absolutely. It's a Souls-like by almost every conceivable measure. Have no idea why people were trying to say it wasn't. Exactly the same gameplay loop.

I'm absolutely loving it so far. Performance on my Legion is excellent too. Very pretty game.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It is an achievement that sold 2 million digital copies.

But I will support the game, only if they release it in physical format.

I'm going to buy it anyway. But I don't like digital.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Elden ring and many souls games have a shitload of easy boss fights, let's not act like they are all gael or kos.

I think the boss in wukong are generally harder than 80% of throw away boss in ED that you beat first try because you are over-levelled but way easier than that remaining 20%, at least in chapter 2, maybe they get harder later.

To me it doens't really feel like a pure souls, more like new gow with a sprinkle of souls formula.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Probably done with this one. No one could put a finger on what this game is prior to release. It is it isn’t a souls like, it’s like bayonetta, it’s like ninja gaiden, it’s linear, it’s a boss rush, etc.

It’s God of war 2018 in the closest comparison, but IMO god of war is a much better game because while the combat is “ok”, it falls on a story to engage me.

The game felt like it overstayed its welcome already in chapter 3 at level 40 some. No enemies are hard, I leveled myself so all bosses up to now are trivial, you mash like an idiot, etc. The game is just pretty and the rest is lack luster. The story feels devoid of give a fuck for me, and the lead protagonist is silent and so he can’t shine.

Hope the game gets better from here for those who stick with it.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Probably done with this one. No one could put a finger on what this game is prior to release. It is it isn’t a souls like, it’s like bayonetta, it’s like ninja gaiden, it’s linear, it’s a boss rush, etc.

It’s God of war 2018 in the closest comparison, but IMO god of war is a much better game because while the combat is “ok”, it falls on a story to engage me.

The game felt like it overstayed its welcome already in chapter 3 at level 40 some. No enemies are hard, I leveled myself so all bosses up to now are trivial, you mash like an idiot, etc. The game is just pretty and the rest is lack luster. The story feels devoid of give a fuck for me, and the lead protagonist is silent and so he can’t shine.

Hope the game gets better from here for those who stick with it.

They should have gone for a condensed first chapter of the Journey to The West, if you don't the novel you are not going to understand this.

At least the game is longer than Lies of P, so i will give them that.

Bojji

Runs in 60fps on 3080ti in 4k with DLSS performance. Looks good aside that awful sharpening.

Game itself looks great so far so I return to playing...

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They should have gone for a condensed first chapter of the Journey to The West, if you don't the novel you are not going to understand this.

At least the game is longer than Lies of P, so i will give them that.
Lies of P is a well paced fantastic game. Loved it to death.

The first chapter of this was great, then chapter 2 becomes long in the tooth, then chapter 3 I just hate the level and said screw this, I’m only 10 hours in… this game can’t be worth it.

jshackles

I guess it depends on how you define soulslike. For me personally, a soulslike is a game that forces you to lose some progress due to dying in the game.
I'd agree with this - this game has no death penalty (as far as I've been able to tell), so when I die there isn't the frustration that comes with lost progress. That's why I usually bounce on Souls games.

I know a lot of comparisons are thrown around, but I think mechanically this plays more like Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order - minus all the wall running / platforming segments. It was also called a "souls-lite".

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Ch. 2 clear, cutscenes at the end was spectacular 💯 Production values overall are super high, to think what these devs will do next given this is their first game and the massive success it's had, future is bright.

reezoo

Any FromSoftware games or God of War fan who have played this game can give there review? How did you find this game? does it have a good gameplay which is satisfying? from the boss fight videos I have watched, it looks to be either easy or button mashing. I wan to play this game specially due to its cultural significance in China but dont want to spend money on something which I will stop playing after couple of hours.

Top Bottom