• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Mownoc

Peaked again today, looks like this weekend is going to be good.

Wt4k9x1.png

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Any FromSoftware games or God of War fan who have played this game can give there review? How did you find this game? does it have a good gameplay which is satisfying? from the boss fight videos I have watched, it looks to be either easy or button mashing. I wan to play this game specially due to its cultural significance in China but dont want to spend money on something which I will stop playing after couple of hours.

It's a Soulslike. On the easier end of the spectrum, though. There's very little about it that's like God Of War. jshackles jshackles comparison to Jedi Fallen Order is pretty damned accurate. It's absolutely designed to copy most of the Soulsborne mechanics, without the harsh penalties for failure.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Tiger down on the fourth try

Don’t sleep on those drink concoctions specifically the TIGER SUBDUING PELLETS which increase your damage

After beating two first bosses I decided to come back when the ps5 pro version drops and the game’s technical issues are fixed. After seeing 4k max out pc gameplay, the ps5 vanilla version leaves a lot to be desired to say the least. The launch, ps5 vanilla code is the worst experience you will have playing this game, just an fyi

1440p upscaled to 4k with stable 60fps is the minimum I will accept on ps5 pro. Currently its below 720p internally during high combat, an absolute joke in 2024

The haptics are terrible, the input lag is a huge issue and the weird artifacts during motion are glaring, this game needs another few months of optimizations and in general more powerful console hardware

Last edited:
For all the talk about no politics in the game, the game actually has a very strong subtext of anti-authoritarianism. Of course this is present in the original work too, as Wukong was always a free spirit who hated being bound by the conventions and procedurals and decorum of the Heavenly Court, and when they tried to force it on him he went to war against the Heavenly Court itself.

But in the books there was a reconciliation toward the end and an acknowledgement that Wukong himself was too impetuous and wild and needed to grow up a little.

This game goes the other way, as all the figures in the Heavenly Court is basically all even bigger assholes that then were in the books, the Jade Emperor himself is a huge hypocrite. But everything is below the surface and hidden in the stories. It's not the lecturing and the wagging the fingers that the Western developers do nowadays, and point are made much better when it's woven into the narrative.

Exentryk

The Wandering Wight boss was pretty fun. Though I wasn't able to collect its essence at the end, so guessing it was meant to be defeated later? Hopefully it can be re-obtained later.

Braag

The Wandering Wight boss was pretty fun. Though I wasn't able to collect its essence at the end, so guessing it was meant to be defeated later? Hopefully it can be re-obtained later.

You will obtain it from a shrine once you get the ability to transform.

M1987

Runs in 60fps on 3080ti in 4k with DLSS performance. Looks good aside that awful sharpening.

Game itself looks great so far so I return to playing...
It runs way higher than that at 4k DLSS Balanced,add the DLSS to AMD framegen mod and it's nearly hitting 120fps and feels smooth as fuck

Needlecrash

Whiteclad Noble...DOWN. Took me one try too. Then I beat the frog boss and that golden withering monk too. I'm definitely feeling the combat in this game.

Last edited:
Warning: There is a missable boss in chapter 3, can't fight him after this part:
After tutle island, you need to head right with Piggy to visit the snake bone. If you don't go with him you will missed the boss fight like I did
Drinking from the gourd while being at full health restores mana. How did I not know this until now in CH3.
That because you equipped the drink restores mana if you're at full health.

Last edited:

The_hunter

Any FromSoftware games or God of War fan who have played this game can give there review? How did you find this game? does it have a good gameplay which is satisfying? from the boss fight videos I have watched, it looks to be either easy or button mashing. I wan to play this game specially due to its cultural significance in China but dont want to spend money on something which I will stop playing after couple of hours.
I’m at the beginning, It takes elements from both god of war ‘18, jedi fallen order and souls. Mix of all those.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Finished act 1 and wow. Hand-crafted outro, interactive scroll with a ledeng and act 2 opening song went way harder that I could've imagined. This is definetly one of the most pleasant surprises of the year for me.

And I am writing this as a man, who's exposure and interest in Chinese culture begins and ends with Peking Duck.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

yeah, i think im done with this game, hated Dark Souls, this nonsense of having your save game 1 min from the goal and having to retry boss'es a crazy amount of times means its not for me.
( Caveat, im older now and unfortunately dont have those amazing skills i had in my 20s), also dont have the free time to be fucking around with the same section lol

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
yeah, i think im done with this game, hated Dark Souls, this nonsense of having your save game 1 min from the goal and having to retry boss'es a crazy amount of times means its not for me.
( Caveat, im older now and unfortunately dont have those amazing skills i had in my 20s), also dont have the free time to be fucking around with the same section lol

Which boss got you

lmimmfn

Which boss got you
the fire dude on level 1. Actually i disabled all the fancy RT crap and frame gen and its a lot more playable, but just frustrating

*EDIT* Since i removed all that gfx crap like RT and frame gen i had no problem finishing that boss first try.
Pro tip for PC owners, disable the gfx shit as it aids in gameplay

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Game is so much fun, anyone who says it's a boss rush game is lying, so many nooks and crannies to explore and secrets to find. The only way you could come to that conclusion is if you were to rush through everything. Loving the spirit mechanic, some of them are really satisfying to use.

Needless to say, the game is gorgeous.

e0Sj73.png

e0SiRF.png

e0SruA.png

e0SZID.png

e0SAyr.png

e0S0U0.png

e0S18M.png

Second best thing I've played this year after the Elden Ring DLC.

JESUS CHRIST! That boss fight in Chapter 3 was absolute DOG SHIT!

How can they design so many awesome boss fights then shit out that turd.

YOU know the one I'm talking about!

Draugoth

Gold Member
It's crazy how open Chapter 2 is compared to Chapter 3, can see whjy some journalists complaining of the lack of a map.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
the fire dude on level 1. Actually i disabled all the fancy RT crap and frame gen and its a lot more playable, but just frustrating

*EDIT* Since i removed all that gfx crap like RT and frame gen i had no problem finishing that boss first try.
Pro tip for PC owners, disable the gfx shit as it aids in gameplay
Sounds like you got good. :)

Memorizing boss patterns versus rushing in and taking damage is the name of the game. I’ve memorized more boss patterns in Wukong than I usually do.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Sounds like you got good. :)

Memorizing boss patterns versus rushing out and taking damage is the name of the game. I’ve memorized more boss patterns in Wukong than I usually do.
No, honestly, I'm a huge fan of DMC 1, 3 and for me it all boiled down to framerate and responsiveness. At 86FPS I had no probs avoiding the boss attacks.
I'm really just saying it's well worth sacrificing visuals for real FPS on PC.

Yea this game is dope as hell. I was hyped when first announced and my interest slowly died over the last couple of months/years but it's legit. Just finished chapter one and it has a great balance of difficulty but not being overly hard. Combat is super fun and I enjoy the skills you acquire from beating bosses.

My only major gripe with the game is no map, at least for chapter 1, not sure if that changes later. The game rewards exploration but kind of annoying if remembering if I explored a certain area already.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man i was loving this game until I got to white noble. his second form is bullshit. I hate these difficulty spikes. online videos dont help either. most people are just overleveling to beat him. i also went back and leveled up three times to level 18 but i still get my ass whooped. put all my points into increasing health. still no good. i was cruising before i got to this cunt. 2 hours wasted. i aint got time for these souls games man. i was fooled into thinking this is more like gow.

what the hell is the point of the focus meter anyway? i unlocked some skills that give you invincibility after executing a triangle combo finisher but i cant get it to work. i have two focus bars and it does nothing. im also supposed to gain health after doing a triangle attack with a focus point active, but not seeing that either.

The_hunter

Man i was loving this game until I got to white noble. his second form is bullshit. I hate these difficulty spikes. online videos dont help either. most people are just overleveling to beat him. i also went back and leveled up three times to level 18 but i still get my ass whooped. put all my points into increasing health. still no good. i was cruising before i got to this cunt. 2 hours wasted. i aint got time for these souls games man. i was fooled into thinking this is more like gow.

what the hell is the point of the focus meter anyway? i unlocked some skills that give you invincibility after executing a triangle combo finisher but i cant get it to work. i have two focus bars and it does nothing. im also supposed to gain health after doing a triangle attack with a focus point active, but not seeing that either.
I only beat that boss with consumables. The ability that gives you invincibility is only during the triangle finisher. Essentially it gives you I-frames during the triangle attack after doing square > triangle combo.

clarky

Gold Member
Anyone beat it yet? Interested to see if the back half of the game holds up to the mainly glowing reports from the early game.

Top Bottom