• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

TexMex

Gold Member
So very beginning, Wandering Wight boss, I kill him and it won't let me pick up the boss soul-esq item. I forget the error message it gave me. I walk off to keep progressing, and when I backtrack, it's disappeared. Am I locked out of picking it up? What was it? Anyone know why I couldn't retrieve it?

How to use Nvidia RTX HDR to apply pseudo-HDR effect to this game

Note that Nvidia RTX HDR is kinda cool but it murders performance by 15-20% so you better have a 4090 if you're going to do this

Ammogeddon

So very beginning, Wandering Wight boss, I kill him and it won't let me pick up the boss soul-esq item. I forget the error message it gave me. I walk off to keep progressing, and when I backtrack, it's disappeared. Am I locked out of picking it up? What was it? Anyone know why I couldn't retrieve it?
You’re fine don’t worry. You’ll be able to collect that one from a save point a bit later on after you’ve met an NPC who shows you how to collect them.

AVlrYj4.png

Can this image make Era think different about the game?

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Fuck yeah, we back in Latria? The vibe, the music, the mechanics *chef's kiss*. I'll reiterate a previous post, this is a Souls-like through and through. Anyone saying different has absolutely no clue what they are talking about, I promise you lol.
You are very early in the game. Chapter 3 is humongous. This is not souls-like. This is an action-adventure like God of War and with some Sekiro elements mixed in. Literally the same mechanics from God of War like skill systems, combat, world building, cinematic set-peices and gear upgrade system. Get out of that Pagoda area you are currently in and then you will understand. I think you have forgotten what God of War was like.

NeoLed

what the hell is the point of the focus meter anyway? i unlocked some skills that give you invincibility after executing a triangle combo finisher but i cant get it to work. i have two focus bars and it does nothing. im also supposed to gain health after doing a triangle attack with a focus point active, but not seeing that either.
The Resolute Counterflow (invisible triangle move) require a focus point to activate the iframe during the animation (not after) and it actually quite generous. It will still "parry" when we activate it early and the enemy struck when monkey still lifting the stick. The stick will glowing red when it activate correctly.

But here is the quirk, you have the press the Hard Attack during the Light Attack animation. Don't wait between attack, it actually will break the light attack combo too. The best way is just stop the combo, and press light attack and heavy attack right after it (cancelling). Watch Ongbal vs Tiger Vanguard on youtube

Health for focus will be restored when you pressed the button, not when the attack done. Blink and you'll miss it because it was a very minor healing

Last edited:
Man i was loving this game until I got to white noble. his second form is bullshit. I hate these difficulty spikes. online videos dont help either. most people are just overleveling to beat him. i also went back and leveled up three times to level 18 but i still get my ass whooped. put all my points into increasing health. still no good. i was cruising before i got to this cunt. 2 hours wasted. i aint got time for these souls games man. i was fooled into thinking this is more like gow.

what the hell is the point of the focus meter anyway? i unlocked some skills that give you invincibility after executing a triangle combo finisher but i cant get it to work. i have two focus bars and it does nothing. im also supposed to gain health after doing a triangle attack with a focus point active, but not seeing that either.
You need to use the triangle right before enemy attack. It's a parry and make you invicible when using it.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Man i was loving this game until I got to white noble. his second form is bullshit. I hate these difficulty spikes. online videos dont help either. most people are just overleveling to beat him. i also went back and leveled up three times to level 18 but i still get my ass whooped. put all my points into increasing health. still no good. i was cruising before i got to this cunt. 2 hours wasted. i aint got time for these souls games man. i was fooled into thinking this is more like gow.

It’s one of the more challenging bosses. Definitely the hardest in Chapter 1 at least. After him, there’s another tough boss but not quite as difficult.

I also recommend saving the transformation for the second part of the fight and abusing Y/Triangle with it. It’s a move with good range, speed, and damage, and you’re invincible while transformed.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Rock parry is so damn satisfying

Pagoda is my favourite area of the game thus far, lots of cool loot/secrets to find too. Nearly had the main boss down on my 1st attempt but this is a tricky one, the battle continues 🐒

Edit: forgot to mention, always go back to NPCs as you progress through the game, new stuff to sell. Got my gourd up to 2 slots, appreciate that stuff changes visually as you upgrade, lots of heart and soul in this game.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

So you're complaining about the game but yet at the same time you have no idea how a core combat mechanic works?

The invincibility only happens if you time the combo with an enemy attack. If you are attacking an enemy with light attacks and you see the enemy about to attack while you have a focus point stored, treat your heavy attack like a parry and press the button just before you see the attack about to land. Practice the timing of it on trash mobs and you'll get the hang of it.

The default way to use focus points is to store them and then charge up your heavy attacks for huge damage, but that's only if you haven't unlocked anything that allows you to spend them in different ways.

Last edited:

NeoLed

So you're complaining about the game but yet at the same time you have no idea how a core combat mechanic works?

The invincibility only happens if you time the combo with an enemy attack. If you are attacking an enemy with light attacks and you see the enemy about to attack while you have a focus point stored, treat your heavy attack like a parry and press the button just before you see the attack about to land. Practice the timing of it on trash mobs and you'll get the hang of it.

The default way to use focus points is to store them and then charge up your heavy attacks for huge damage, but that's only if you haven't unlocked anything that allows you to spend them in different ways.
To be fair, the skills translation kinda misleading and I too at first misunderstand the skill at the same way with him. Only after some practice I kinda get how it works

GHG

Gold Member
To be fair, the skills translation kinda misleading and I too at first misunderstand the skill at the same way with him. Only after some practice I kinda get how it works

I was more referring to the "what the hell is the point of the focus meter" statement - that's not ambiguous and the game does a pretty good job of explaining how they work by default early on.

But yes, it does seem the translation for that skill in particular isn't great.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
So I went back to chapter 2 because there was an NPC quest I felt was unresolved (already found 2 hidden bosses). Went back to where I first met him and let's just say the quest line has continued lol. I appreciate that the game explicitly tells you when you've found a secret area via the fast travel menu, seems like each region has one secret level, I've come to that conclusion via bestiary entries. Speaking of lore some of these get real dark:

CO0W4EC.jpeg

Good stuff 👌

TheStam

Just starting out, are you supposed to sneak past big baby head? Ran into him, nope:d and went another direction, ran into fire dude who smashed me handily as well. Hmm.. Read it wasn't a Souls like (which it definitely feels like), so didn't really expect a Sekiro level challenge.

The game kind of told me to sneak past with the insect shape, are you supposed to come back for them later like the Dark Souls 1 first boss?

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just starting out, are you supposed to sneak past big baby head? Ran into him, nope:d and went another direction, ran into fire dude who smashed me handily as well. Hmm.. Read it wasn't a Souls like (which it definitely feels like), so didn't really expect a Sekiro level challenge.

The game kind of told me to sneak past with the insect shape, are you supposed to come back for them later like the Dark Souls 1 first boss?
Let them finish their attacks and then get a few attacks in. Get the light staff attack skills and put a few points in immobilise.

Whiteclad Noble is kicking my ass. I made it through phase 1 but phase 2 is brutal. The game difficulty is sometimes all over the place... Its definitely more difficult than something like God of War
Remember you can jump and use the triangle (heavy attack) for overhead smash. It covers a lot of distance and does decent damage.

Last edited:

TheStam

Let them finish their attacks and then get a few attacks in. Get the light staff attack skills and put a few points in immobilise.

Thanks a lot! I'll try. I put some points into health and stuff at first, but will put the next ones like you suggest.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I read the journal entries on focus and it didn’t make much sense. The skill i was taking about apparently has a mistranslation so not sure i can be blamed for not understanding it. That’s why I’m asking here.

Reactions: GHG

gatti-man

Managed to beat the fucking Tiger finally lol

The tiger is visually my favorite boss. Total bad ass. But not nearly as hard as what’s to come lol.

This game isn’t god of war. People need to understand it’s like mixing god of war and elden ring together. It’s extremely hard compared to god of war 1/2. 2 is closer but still nothing in god of war frustrated me for a 2+ hours or made me back track and get items to beat a boss especially a mainline non optional boss.

Last edited:

ungalo

Chapter 3 killed the last doubts i had about the game. Good game, good alternative for people who like Souls games. The world and setting really get to shine.

Level design has a lot of flaws on many levels, a lot of weird shit. But it conveys what's matter, that it's an immersive adventure like Souls are. In this way it's the best alternative we have compared to other games that revolve more around core gameplay like Nioh.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Jump + light attack immdetiately follow by the heavy air slam attack is a good opening, you just have to be fast when you press the heavy attack button on the follow up.

Gonzito

Man I an finding some textures in this game that don't look good. I think its probably an out of memory bug where textures dont load like in Rebirth but its a shame because it really hurts the overall look of the game

I would like to understand why do asian developers have some many issues with textures memory when developing with unreal engine

IMG-20240822-WA0006.jpg

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Uhhh I just entered The Great Pagoda and noticed 2 familiar tapestries on the wall. The other walls are empty presumably each corresponding to a world/chapter which means there are ***** worlds! Hell yes, into my veins!

Wandering Wight still my favourite summon (I've got 19 of them now), only need one more upgrade to MAX. These spirits are a direct correlation to Elden Ring's Spirit Summons just as the incense altars with light trails leading you to them are to Lost Grace. Wukong borrows so much from the FROM playbook but if you're going to copy then copy the best, just do it *well* and boy Wukong does indeed. Voices are absolutely on par with anything FROM has done, every single character has been great thus far and there have been a whole bunch. Alright, the journey continues 🐒

GHG

Gold Member
Man I an finding some textures in this game that don't look good. I think its probably an out of memory bug where textures dont load like in Rebirth but its a shame because it really hurts the overall look of the game

I would like to understand why do asian developers have some many issues with textures memory when developing with unreal engine

IMG-20240822-WA0006.jpg

It's an unreal engine 5 thing, not an "asian developer" thing.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I just got to the white noble and beat his ass with about half of my health left… I’m like huh, that was pretty simple.

then he transformed and I still only have half a bar of health. lol. Ate my ass up. Will try again tonight

Hugare

Once I understood how he behaved, it became so easy. I killed his 2nd form without taking damage.

First form is passive. You can be aggressive, its the best plan.

The second one is aggressive. All you have to do is to keep distance and then he will do that spear thrust. Dodge, hit 3 times and go away. Repeat until he is defeated.

Just keep your distance, wait for the spear thrust and hit him. Just do that. And dont be greedy. 3 times and go away.

Last edited:

How to use Nvidia RTX HDR to apply pseudo-HDR effect to this game

Note that Nvidia RTX HDR is kinda cool but it murders performance by 15-20% so you better have a 4090 if you're going to do this

RTX HDR doesn't improve that much. Better off using Special K utility. Now THAT makes it look awesome.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

IMG-20240822-WA0006.jpg
Yea, dunno if it's something with UE, but a lot of textures just look like soup.

rFWElNe.jpeg

TaKYYGB.jpeg

Top Bottom