• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Luipadre

Gold Member
Yea, dunno if it's something with UE, but a lot of textures just look like soup.

rFWElNe.jpeg

TaKYYGB.jpeg

I find the games graphics a mixed bag tbh. It can look amazing at times and okay in other times. Lots of inconsistencies

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What's your favorite stances?
I'm a huge fan of the stance where you plant your weapon in the ground and climb up it. I just unlocked the combo where you swing around the pole to do big damage, then you jump backwards. It's super handy to use as an alternate parry / dodge mechanic.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I find the games graphics a mixed bag tbh. It can look amazing at times and okay in other times. Lots of inconsistencies
I think it's really the textures that bring it down. The character models are always great. The effects, clothes, and models are awesome. However, the textures, which are arguably the most important part of visuals, can get inconsistent and it gets really bad in Chapter 2. No point in having all those great models, lighting, and shadows if they're against the backdrop of soupy textures.

gatti-man

Man I an finding some textures in this game that don't look good. I think its probably an out of memory bug where textures dont load like in Rebirth but its a shame because it really hurts the overall look of the game

I would like to understand why do asian developers have some many issues with textures memory when developing with unreal engine

IMG-20240822-WA0006.jpg
What card are you using? I have a 4090 and the game looks stunning no texture issues. What are your resolution settings etc

gatti-man

Literally just me taking a picture off my projector screen textures drop jaw argh it won’t upload. Sigh.
The textures in this game are like photo real so if you’re having issues it’s a hardware setup/settings issue.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Once I understood how he behaved, it became so easy. I killed his 2nd form without taking damage.

First form is passive. You can be aggressive, its the best plan.

The second one is aggressive. All you have to do is to keep distance and then he will do that spear thrust. Dodge, hit 3 times and go away. Repeat until he is defeated.

Just keep your distance, wait for the spear thrust and hit him. Just do that. And dont be greedy. 3 times and go away.
The thing that made me straight up hate Elden Ring are the overly aggressive enemies who have 5-6 hit combos and zero stamina bars so they spam their attacks constantly. The only way to play that game is by dodging every attack then do a couple of hits, rinse and repeat for 6 minutes. I loved Black Myth because it wasnt like this early on. Enemies were aggressive but would stagger from your basic attack combos. They would get exhausted after a long combo of their own. I had a lot of different abilities that would stagger them. i dont think i died more than once on any boss other than the big baby boss but you arent supposed to take him on early on. This mother fucker though tanks all my attacks, including the spells and transformation attacks and does not stop moving.

I quit the souls genre after Elden Ring because i just dont have patience for games like this. I was hoping Black Myth was more gow or star wars jedi and it was initially but i have zero patience for these difficulty spikes and souls boss design of dodging for ten minutes and getting 2 hits before backing off. Cant wait till this genre dies off and we go back to GoW style combat of well tuned boss encounters.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What card are you using? I have a 4090 and the game looks stunning no texture issues. What are your resolution settings etc
its a texture streaming bug. ue5 was supposed to fix this but clearly its still a thing. 99.9% of the time the game's assets look stunning and photorealistic.

Gonzito

4080 and the game has texture issues, is not my computer man. Digital foundry mentioned it as well, you just haven't noticed, I admit that I like to look every detail as well so I am usually more prone to find these issues

gatti-man

4080 and the game has texture issues, is not my computer man. Digital foundry mentioned it as well, you just haven't noticed, I admit that I like to look every detail as well so I am usually more prone to find these issues
I game at 4k on a 140” projector screen pretty sure I’d notice. lol. Only thing I don’t have set to max is motion blur that’s off.

gatti-man

2WVuoop.jpeg

This is literally me taking a photo off of a projector screen. Pretty sure I’d notice muddy textures. The game looks like art in motion on my setup it’s insane. Better than cyber punk better than anything I’ve ever seen tbh

I had to crop the shit out of it to get it to post.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I'm a huge fan of the stance where you plant your weapon in the ground and climb up it. I just unlocked the combo where you swing around the pole to do big damage, then you jump backwards. It's super handy to use as an alternate parry / dodge mechanic.

Damn I haven’t even unlocked that one.

I recently got Thrust and found it useful against a few specific enemies. Smash has been my go to 85% of the time.

SantaC

So is the game good or not? Aside from the obvious Chinese nationalism. I am on the fence here.

Last edited:

Exentryk

The second chapter is an amazing visual cleansing from the first chapter. The end of the chapter was great too. Game is just firing on all cylinders at the moment.
I also ended up installing some mods (frame gen for 3000 series gpus and remove sharpening), so can play with 40-60 fps with raytracing now at 4k. Really enjoyable!

HroIfjB.jpg

MCNOiFq.jpg

iypK0W8.jpg

pUbn75W.jpg

JbCXMgG.jpg

Kagero

Gold Member
I'm waiting to play this on PS5 Pro.

Hope there is a patch for it....

I think rumors said every game released around summer time or later will need a PS5 Pro mode or something?
Yeah, I think I might have to hold off. Performance looks like garbage and fidelity mode is unplayable. The game is beautiful but I think it's a bit over rated. Stellar Blade is immediately more impressive off the jump.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Like any game not called hb2 (and even that one lose details if you zoom too much).

We have to wait next-gen for hb2 graphic or better on a large scale, wukong only manage to get KINDA close in the first area.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not hard, but very annoying. I hate fighting flying bosses.
Yep, small hitbox hard to hit and he fly all the time.

I hope the reward for killing this cunt is good, although now i have this staff that produce a cloud of dust that add damage during some attacks (like the spinning thing with r2 and some light attacks) so it must be one hell of a weapon to make me change the current one 🕺

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This game just does it SO right when it comes to really feeling like you’re becoming more powerful the more you play and the more you intelligently dole out sparks knowing how you play.

I need to grind out cash for the newest staff upgrade so I’m running through old chapters beating the fuck out of enemies and so many I’m decimating in 1-3 hits. Easy breezy. Especially with a podcast on.

Such great design. GOTY list fo sho.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Without giving out spoilers, how many chapters are there?

hollams

Gold Member
Once I understood how he behaved, it became so easy. I killed his 2nd form without taking damage.

First form is passive. You can be aggressive, its the best plan.

The second one is aggressive. All you have to do is to keep distance and then he will do that spear thrust. Dodge, hit 3 times and go away. Repeat until he is defeated.

Just keep your distance, wait for the spear thrust and hit him. Just do that. And dont be greedy. 3 times and go away.
Nope, didn't work for me. I got him down to his 2nd phase and had his health to a little less than 1/2. I tried your strategy for a couple of minutes and noticed his health bar was still around the same place. I watched his health bar closer and when I would hit him with a heavy strike his health would go down, but then start to regen on it's own. He wasn't in any healing stance or anything. I finally had to go in close and just do a ton of damage and finally defeated him with my health barely hanging on.

phant0m

How has no name Chinese studio made one of the best (if not the best) looking game this gen?

Meanwhile Ubisoft has a marquee title out next week that looks like 2018.

AAAA gaming

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
When I see people being crazy adamant that the game "is most definitely not a soulslike"....then I play the game and it ticks every soulslike box I can think of except for losing souls on death, I feel gaslit by like, the whole statement, man.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Review scores are so fucking useless. This game is miles better than Horizon, FF XVI, or Spider-Man 2, yet it scored much lower. 8/10 is a good score and what I would rate it, but when so many mediocre-as-fuck games score 9s and 10s, this deserves much better.

Last edited:

Hugare

When I see people being crazy adamant that the game "is most definitely not a soulslike"....then I play the game and it ticks every soulslike box I can think of except for losing souls on death, I feel gaslit by like, the whole statement, man.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills everytime I read someone comparing it to God of War or Devil May Cry

Must be a bunch of people regurgitating opinions that they saw online without playing the game. Must be. This is Souls-like through and through.

Camera, combat pacing, focus on 1-1 combat, flask mechanic, bonfire mechanic, NPCs conversations, even the way areas are designed.

Pick a random boss and exchange Wukong for Sekiro and people watching the video would be calling it Sekiro 2 if they didnt know any better.

It has its own flavour, but its 100% Souls-like

Last edited:

Braag

Smash is the far better in most situations.

Btw,
white dragon boss
is some bullshit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I'm glad respeccing is easy and fast cause I respecced fully into immobilize because of her.
Just waited until she comes down or does the tail hit and then immobilize to get some good hits in. It's weird they have flying bosses and mobs without Wukong having any good aerial combos or attacks.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm glad respeccing is easy and fast cause I respecced fully into immobilize because of her.
Just waited until she comes down or does the tail hit and then immobilize to get some good hits in. It's weird they have flying bosses and mobs without Wukong having any good aerial combos or attacks.
I managed to beat its ass after like 10 deaths, she doens't have much HP.

Is her staff any good? is the thunder finisher any good?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Any way to deal with archers that are in unreachable places? Saw one in chapter 1 and quite a few in chapter 2.

Fabieter

There is a boss in chapter 2 destroying me like no tomorrow. Was pretty easy until now. Iam definitely done for tonight:D

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game sure opens up on chapter 2, nice. It's also quite a looker, love this kind of environment.

Loved the intro too.

Top Bottom