• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

I know this game is trying to be different. But the decision to base the appearance of Pigsy off of Rocket Racoon of the MCU did not work for me.

Yeah, I think I might have to hold off. Performance looks like garbage and fidelity mode is unplayable. The game is beautiful but I think it's a bit over rated. Stellar Blade is immediately more impressive off the jump.

I was watching a YouTube comparison video and apparently the frame rated is uncapped. But I didn't see much variance in FPS between Fidelity and Performance mode from that video?

Kagero

Gold Member
Fidelity is unplayable to me. It hurts my head. It might not be as obvious when viewing others playing the game perhaps. Performance is the only mode that works. If they can get balance mode capped at 60fps with a patch I'll be happy.
I was watching a YouTube comparison video and apparently the frame rated is uncapped. But I didn't see much variance in FPS between Fidelity and Performance mode from that video?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills everytime I read someone comparing it to God of War or Devil May Cry

Must be a bunch of people regurgitating opinions that they saw online without playing the game. Must be. This is Souls-like through and through.

Camera, combat pacing, focus on 1-1 combat, flask mechanic, bonfire mechanic, NPCs conversations, even the way areas are designed.

Pick a random boss and exchange Wukong for Sekiro and people watching the video would be calling it Sekiro 2 if they didnt know any better.

It has its own flavour, but its 100% Souls-like
The combat pace is much faster than Souls and there is also more of an emphasis on combos, animations canceling, and mix-ups. That’s where the GOW/DMC stems from. It doesn’t follow the Souls approach of hitting once or twice and then backing away.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Have any of you guys done the VSM mod?
I haven't, but a couple of friends did try one from Nexus Mods. Doesn't work for AMD GPUs, and the shadows on Nvidia cards seem to lack filtering, so they're either stippled to hell or super sharp. Might be up to personal taste there.

Game is truly so awesome but for the love of God, why didn't they add a map. Was the only part I didn't like about chapter 1 and now chapter 2 opens up a hell of a lot more. Hard to remember what paths I took and where I've been and I want to explore /collect everything.

Also I see a lot of people complaining about the performance and idk man, it's pretty fine for me on PS5. Maybe some hiccups here and there but nothing that makes the game unplayable in anyway

Exentryk

TTgm6lR.gif

Gonzito

Why does everyone wants a map? Lol, the game is very straightforward, and yes some chapters are more open but goddamn use your damn brain a bit, people want everything so easy nowadays

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why does everyone wants a map? Lol, the game is very straightforward, and yes some chapters are more open but goddamn use your damn brain a bit, people want everything so easy nowadays
I kinda wish the game had a map, but maybe it's an item you unlock at the end of each level. So that while you're playing it, you have the element of exploration - but when you go to replay it to find things you missed, it's easier to tell where you are and where you've been. The few times I've gone back to previous chapters to try and find stuff I missed, I just kinda gave up looking after a bit.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
They waited until the fucking third chapter to introduce fall damage? After 10+ hours? Brilliant.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went back and cleared some bosses I missed. Sure enough I was much stronger, but how much stronger do you get with just getting another skill point? I haven’t paid attention to my stats.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Was gonna say as long as you the player have a good natural sense of direction you shouldn’t have issues running around and remembering where places are. And if all else fails, take screenshots on your way to places or the specific places themselves to help you remember.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Love that one of the passive buff options for the Chapter 2 relic was basically

Want more i-frames?

As if that’s even a question. Easiest choice I’ve made in the game 😂

Sure its straight forward to just complete the levels but not so much if you want to be a completionist. Think it also depends on how people consume the game. I'm about half way through chapter 2 atm, and I know there are several sections that branch off into different directions that I missed, but I'm not gonna be able to play this game again for like another 3 or 4 days. I'm not gonna fully remember the full patching I took to get where I'm at currently.

The map doesn't need to dumb down the game, it can be very bare bones. Even something like just showing you where the fast travel spots are at.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Reactions: Isa

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Immobilization makes that one chapter 3 boss a complete joke.

Be sure to keep trading in those mind cores for pills. Those cores are def the most valuable item in the game so far.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Found a secret that requires use of one of your spells, very cool. Easy to get lost in the branching/hidden paths in ch. 3, it's sprawling and serpentine in the best possible way.

Little Mac

Gold Member
PS5 players …

Now that you’ve had some time with it, is it worth getting now or should people wait for patches or the PS5 Pro?

What’s your review so far?

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Spellbinder is 💯💯💯 best spell while exploring the world, need to test if the trade-off is worth it for bosses....

PS5 players …

Now that you’ve had some time with it, is it worth getting now or should people wait for patches or the PS5 Pro?

What’s your review so far?

The problem with questions like this is that it's highly subjective and opinions will differ (and some opinions have more value than others lol). After 30 hours it has exceeded my expectations and is a GOTY contender. From a technical standpoint I have had very few issues, maintains 60 fps 90% of the time in Performance Mode and looks beautiful on my OLED. The PS5Pro argument could apply to pretty much any game, of course it's expected that it will look better/run smoother on Pro. There are plenty of other impressions in this thread, read through it and come to your own conclusions 👍

Edit: forgot to mention I had one freeze and had to exit the game, beyond that smooth sailing.

Last edited:
Don't know why, but my game started hard crashing to desktop with no error / crash report pop ups. Started happening at the cutscene intro for the
tiger boss in chapter 2
Now, in chapter 3, I've crashed about 5 times. Has anyone else experience this? Any tips

I've a 7800x3d, 4090, 32gb 6000mhz, installed on an m2 drive, playing at 4k. Ive the latest drivers and my temps are fine too. I wonder if it's another game being funky with overlays?

Regardless of that and the stutters, I'm having quite a lot of fun. Didn't enjoy some stuff, like the
prison place with the health debuff like in Bloodborne or the dragon boss that was quite hard to hit due to them being airborne and the camera being janky
but I'm only, at a guess, 2/3rds of the way through chapter 3. Some levels are surprisingly open. Was strange as going by reviews it sounded like you only walked for a minute or 2 then the next boss fight, but since chapter 2 that it not accurate. Found a ton of side stuff to do that then unlocked even more side content.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills everytime I read someone comparing it to God of War or Devil May Cry

Must be a bunch of people regurgitating opinions that they saw online without playing the game. Must be. This is Souls-like through and through.

Camera, combat pacing, focus on 1-1 combat, flask mechanic, bonfire mechanic, NPCs conversations, even the way areas are designed.

Pick a random boss and exchange Wukong for Sekiro and people watching the video would be calling it Sekiro 2 if they didnt know any better.

It has its own flavour, but its 100% Souls-like
100% - it is either what you just said, or I'm literally living in a simulation where the objective 010101 is to make me feel like all these 'God of War' comparison folk are correct and I'm going crazy....complete with a maniacal monkey laugh echoing louder and louder, in a cacophony of madness.

iBlue

Can you do everything in 1 playthrough? currently on chapter 3 and done all the secret areas/bosses in the previous chapters

Top Bottom