• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Immobilization makes that one chapter 3 boss a complete joke.

Be sure to keep trading in those mind cores for pills. Those cores are def the most valuable item in the game so far.
I keep forgetting the names and what each requirement is. What is that?

its-the-unholy-alliance-shes-back-at-it-again-v0-rjbqqct9llkd1.png
They need a mirror. The Verge is mediocre.

THE ONLY WAY TO GO 😂

Not at all true. I’m on quality because I want the most out these visuals and the framerate has been fine aside from a few hitches during non boss fights. It’s been a beautiful trip so far. Just cruisin along. 60fps need not apply to my kicking ass.
so does it look great on ps5 in quality? I dont gaf about framerate so

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I like that this game doesn't seem to punish you for grinding - outside of it maybe making some of the content "too easy".

I'm having fun just beating up some of the baddies over and over again, respawning, taking them on again and again to level up and get a better feel for the move sets and heavy attack combos... but, I'm also now level 60 and still in chapter 3. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I like that this game doesn't seem to punish you for grinding - outside of it maybe making some of the content "too easy".

I'm having fun just beating up some of the baddies over and over again, respawning, taking them on again and again to level up and get a better feel for the move sets and heavy attack combos... but, I'm also now level 60 and still in chapter 3. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

If I ever need to grind some additional xp to top off that spark point I go right to the Snake Trail in Chapter 1. It’s an especially great grind spot early on. Just gotta learn how to handle the non skeletal snake guys

Dude man Chapter 3 deep in

the characters you meet, your koala bro helping with fights, the giant turtle that’s straight up GOW 2018. Just fucking insane. So on the GOTY list.

gdAlL6v.jpeg

W2SoKUU.jpeg

I haven’t been so engaged with a game all year
Finish that stupid old dragon quest and you will unlock one of the hardest boss in the game. And the "koala" guy is a pig/boar lol

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Finish that stupid old dragon quest and you will unlock one of the hardest boss in the game. And the "koala" guy is a pig/boar lol

Yup
the area you unlock is super helpful. Won’t be fighting the blacksmith til end game proper.

And he’s a koala to me. He’s all small and he’s a prick. But cute and cuddly.

Last edited:

Braag

Finally done with chapter 3. Man that chapter was long. Lack of a map became a glaring issue in that chapter cause the areas were huge with samey looking trees and rocks everywhere, so it became hard to keep track on which areas you've explored already.

If you're talking about the tiger blacksmith then yeah. I tried to beat him like 20 times and got my ass handed to me. He has super armor, has very long combos which all have annoying wind up times, he teleports around and has an unblockable throw. It's like they took everything that makes a boss hard and made this guy.

After CH3 I upgraded my gear and after few tries finally managed to beat him. I mainly used Rock Solid and Immobilize, but he breaks out of immobilize from a single hit so I always did a 3 focus points heavy attack on him after immobilize. Also after CH3 you unlock a transformation which immediately freezes the enemy so that also helped a lot.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just finished chapter 1 and wow! If this keeps up it could be my GotY. Just blown away. Aesthetics on point, smooth gameplay with many many options, level design reasonably open but not open world, gorgeous graphics and art design, through the roof production values and just so much fun.

Took me 7 hours to finish chapter 1 alone. Can't wait to play more.

Edit- badly needs a map though.

Last edited:
Just finished chapter 1 and wow! If this keeps up it could be my GotY. Just blown away. Aesthetics on point, smooth gameplay with many many options, level design reasonably open but not open world, gorgeous graphics and art design, through the roof production values and just so much fun.

Took me 7 hours to finish chapter 1 alone. Can't wait to play more.

Edit- badly needs a map though.
Congrats, you're about to spend 14 in chapter 2 if that's your pace :D

If you're talking about the tiger blacksmith then yeah. I tried to beat him like 20 times and got my ass handed to me. He has super armor, has very long combos which all have annoying wind up times, he teleports around and has an unblockable throw. It's like they took everything that makes a boss hard and made this guy.

After CH3 I upgraded my gear and after few tries finally managed to beat him. I mainly used Rock Solid and Immobilize, but he breaks out of immobilize from a single hit so I always did a 3 focus points heavy attack on him after immobilize. Also after CH3 you unlock a transformation which immediately freezes the enemy so that also helped a lot.
Yeah that tiger is super annoying especially that cheap ass throw and long ass combo. He just appear out of no where then grab me, there's no free window to evade that shit.

I spent around 30-40 deaths to beat him when I don't have that freezing monkey transformation. Maybe my level is too low, but the win was worth it. My monkey finally bested that cheap bastard lol.
maaaannnn, you guys are making me want to buy this game !
Do it!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
maaaannnn, you guys are making me want to buy this game !
I was on the fence too about this actually being a good game. Turns out, it is! A fun souls-like with some interesting new ideas and fantastic graphics. The game isn't very frustrating (I've literally played hundreds of hours of Souls games, and have yet to ever finish one because I usually quit from frustration / stop having fun). I guess time will tell if I make it to the end of this one, but so far it's been great. A few bosses have really kicked my ass, but leveling up and unlocking new skills and abilities has let me progress so far.

I just finished Chapter 3, on to Chapter 4!

I was on the fence too about this actually being a good game. Turns out, it is! A fun souls-like with some interesting new ideas and fantastic graphics. The game isn't very frustrating (I've literally played hundreds of hours of Souls games, and have yet to ever finish one because I usually quit from frustration / stop having fun). I guess time will tell if I make it to the end of this one, but so far it's been great. A few bosses have really kicked my ass, but leveling up and unlocking new skills and abilities has let me progress so far.

I just finished Chapter 3, on to Chapter 4!
Thanks , after looking at pics and videos , it looks real damn good ! I'll have to bite! Same I never finished a souls game , the only one I really played was Bloodborne , I loved it , I got far but when it becomes too hard I quit! Life is too short to be angry at a videogame, I play videogames to relax and enjoy!

Braag

Yeah that tiger is super annoying especially that cheap ass throw and long ass combo. He just appear out of no where then grab me, there's no free window to evade that shit.

I spent around 30-40 deaths to beat him when I don't have that freezing monkey transformation. Maybe my level is too low, but the win was worth it. My monkey finally bested that cheap bastard lol.
I love how salty he is about losing the duel too considering how cheap he is lol

SkylineRKR

Review scores are so fucking useless. This game is miles better than Horizon, FF XVI, or Spider-Man 2, yet it scored much lower. 8/10 is a good score and what I would rate it, but when so many mediocre-as-fuck games score 9s and 10s, this deserves much better.

This is true. I played all games you mentioned, I beat FFXVI out of those and they fall short in nearly every area. FFXVI combat, gear and exploration isn't even half as good as what Wukong offers and FF is an established RPG franchise. Square with its expertise, funds and brand recognition can do better than this lifeless shit.

Horizon 2 and Spider Man 2 are the typical bloated open world games with tons of annoying banter, copy paste missions and almost zero challenge. I'd pick a game structered like Wukong over these by default.

Technically Wukong isn't perfect on PS5, some things could be improved but its very ambitious and still a looker. Mechanics, level design, challenge, skill systems, rewards for exploration, secrets etc all beat those formulaic recent AAA games to hell. Add Ragnarok to the list as well, with its endless forced walking, endless whining and copy paste puzzles. Again, i'd play classic GoW or Wukong over it in a heartbeat.

Chronicle

Grabbed it for ps5. Glad I did. Beautiful. Somewhat linear. Music, lore fantastic. New.

It's tough but so far so good. Hope to level to very powerful levels.

Game needs a map though.

gatti-man

This is true. I played all games you mentioned, I beat FFXVI out of those and they fall short in nearly every area. FFXVI combat, gear and exploration isn't even half as good as what Wukong offers and FF is an established RPG franchise. Square with its expertise, funds and brand recognition can do better than this lifeless shit.

Horizon 2 and Spider Man 2 are the typical bloated open world games with tons of annoying banter, copy paste missions and almost zero challenge. I'd pick a game structered like Wukong over these by default.

Technically Wukong isn't perfect on PS5, some things could be improved but its very ambitious and still a looker. Mechanics, level design, challenge, skill systems, rewards for exploration, secrets etc all beat those formulaic recent AAA games to hell. Add Ragnarok to the list as well, with its endless forced walking, endless whining and copy paste puzzles. Again, i'd play classic GoW or Wukong over it in a heartbeat.
This game ass fucks ff16 and I really liked ff16 😂

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Did everyone complete the secret Snow fox quest in ch. 3? Very cool stuff. The new transformation you can find in this area is dope too. I think this is near the end of the chapter now, I never use guides my first playthrough so hard to know for sure, can't wait to meet a certain someone I've been hearing so much about lol.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cool intro, the Chinese style to things is a refreshing change of pace. Core mechanics are a little flat in the opening battle. Subtitles are too small so might change over to English.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Grabbed it for ps5. Glad I did. Beautiful. Somewhat linear. Music, lore fantastic. New.

It's tough but so far so good. Hope to level to very powerful levels.

Game needs a map though.
How far are you? It’s wide linear. Chapter 1 is very straightforward, but the latter ones have more branching paths and you can tackle the different objectives and bossed in varying order. You have more freedom and the areas are much bigger and more opened.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Every game has its Dark Souls 1 Blighttown and this game finally showed its colors with the third chapter. Everything about this area sucks so far.
Thankfully, it’s fairly short. The boss is a bitch though.

jshackles

Did everyone complete the secret Snow fox quest in ch. 3? Very cool stuff. The new transformation you can find in this area is dope too. I think this is near the end of the chapter now, I never use guides my first playthrough so hard to know for sure, can't wait to meet a certain someone I've been hearing so much about lol.
I did this one tonight and yeah, pretty cool for something that appears to be 100% optional.

Also,
I hope nobody here has arachnophobia

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yea too bad you can’t increase the size of the font. The Chinese dubbing would be nice, but I feel like I’m missing whats going on on the screen.

Working on getting all the bosses in the area. I want to have lots of upgrades before moving onto another chapter. I want that Stellar Blade with all upgrades feeling.

Last edited:

Gaiff

The game has turned full-blown Soulsborne with the usual annoyances. Enemies are becoming insanely tanky, they deal fast and long combos with small windows to counter-attack, and they have high poise and attack through your combos.

I loved the game until then, but now it has almost all the hallmarks of Souls games. It's really starting to piss me off when regular mobs deal a shitton of damage and take 5-6 full combos to go down.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Yellowbrow... first of all beyond epic but being put in a position where I can't craft any new medicine or change my drink/soak isn't fun lol. I was actually feeling myself having steamrolled the first 2 phases. I know I can escape but don't want to do all that over again. now on attempt 12 lol.

Edit: got him, let's fucking go! Also, "seedsack" 👌😂

Edit 2: chapter 3 ending cutscene was even more spectacular than ch. 2 💯💯💯

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Chapter 2 is huge. So many side quests and hidden things. The tiger boss kicked my ass but i went back after getting the clone spell and had an easier time. Then i saw someone using the resolute flow parrry on him and it made complete sense. Need to master that skill because now I’m stuck on the final boss of this chapter.

What a great game this turned out to be.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Loving the enemy theme in ch. 4, this game is so damn good, swiftly moving up my GOTY rankings, I'd say it's already in my top 3 of the year and I've bought and completed a whole bunch. I never expected it to be as good as it is, thoroughly impressed and the fact that this is the dev's debut title makes it all the more praise worthy, just wow.

Top Bottom