• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Exentryk

AQ67jqm.jpg

ZehDon

Just finished with Chapter 1. Really enjoying it so far. Is a little closer to a boss rush at times than I expected (towards the end of chapter 1, felt like there was three or four bosses just one after the other), but it plays really well. The mix of DMC and Souls-like combat style is very fun, feels very fluid and looks fantastic in motion. And yeah - the visuals are worth the hype. Running through the forests and caves of the first chapter is really special, the atmosphere here is a real landmark moment. The art design, lighting, overall presentation; on my i9 10900k RTX 3090, 1440p Ultra-wide, Alienware OLED, all settings on Cinematic or Very High - Black Myth is that proper industry leading stuff I've been waiting for since the XSX/PS5 gen started. My only complaint is that, at least with Chapter 1, game suffers the Naughty Dog problem in places: amazing visuals, but with the massive trade off of tiny corridors and lots of invisible walls. Fortunately, Chapter 2 looks a lot more open, so it may just be a design choice here.

Loving it so far, could easily end up a GOTY front runner if it continues at this level of quality.

SaniOYOYOY

just got the hub area got the 3 curio. Will stop playing untill next week.
Want to savour the game slowly and not rush thing.

Ive went with the cloud step + heavy smash build. Braindead mode lol, just up your mana and spam it

RainyNguyen

Yea too bad you can’t increase the size of the font. The Chinese dubbing would be nice, but I feel like I’m missing whats going on on the screen.

Working on getting all the bosses in the area. I want to have lots of upgrades before moving onto another chapter. I want that Stellar Blade with all upgrades feeling.
If you are on PC, there are a mod to adjust font

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Oh yeah

31ogRJ6.jpeg

Think I finally found a replacement to my Wandering Wight summon. Does similar DMG (though in combo form) and it seems to recharge faster. Huge DEF boost is hard to give up but this one gives you ATK boost upon use 👌

Ch. 4 level design kicking it up a notch once you reach a certain point (and once again evoking Souls energy), loving every second of it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yah, currently stuck on that. Will go back to try once I'm done with the chapter and grown more powerful. Just need to bump up lightning res.
I am just going to farm mind cores from those horse dudes in chapter 2 and upgrade the crap out of everything. I ain't leaving this chapter until I beat them.

I am just going to farm mind cores from those horse dudes in chapter 2 and upgrade the crap out of everything. I ain't leaving this chapter until I beat them.
In that respect Wukong is a classic RPG. In that you can grind to get stronger if you want. Leveling up actually rewards you rather than punish you. Something that is somehow missing in the Western modern age of "monsters level up with you" RPGs.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Getting kinda bored of the combat in chapter 3 ngl. The temple part is annoying aswell. Chapter 1 was decent, 2 was gerat, but im starting to lose interest in chapter 3

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Man, I never thought I'd say this after playing through the first area of the game but.... this game is pure and unbelievable trash and pos when it comes to combat and combat mechanics. It's astounding just how terrible and bad it is, from paper thin and repetitive combat foundation, idiotic decision to focus on the pos staff the whole game, the range of which is no longer that 5cm around the MC, absolutely idiotic and small af hitboxes, constant wasting of charge attacks which can't hit enemies and bosses cuz stupid MC can't move further than 0.0cm from the point of activation, to constant interruptions of charge attacks, spell casting and all sorts of other pos which make the combat against bosses especially absolutely unbearable and terrible. And who's brain dead idea it was to focus on bs dodge mechanic and ONLY MAKE YOU DEFLECT ATTACK VIA TWO FUCKIN' BUTTONS WITH A FUCKIN' COOLDOWN TIMER? WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUCK! Whoever thought this was a great idea need to be fired and never fuckin' touch game development ever again and especially character action game. And I haven't even said anything about moronic weapon upgrade system with pos damage increases and heavy reliance on potions to bust it for a short while. It's just as terrible as in FFXVI and I hate this kind of weapon upgrade system if you can even fuckin' call it that.

Goddamn it, it's so fuckin' bad, my god. I have a lot more fun fighting shit in ZZZ with an outstanding combat system and excellent deflection mechanics than this clunky and broken pos game. For fuck's sake. UGH. It's simply and totally unredeemable what they did. And those constant invisible walls everywhere, fuckin' snipers you can't do shit to cuz you don't have any ranged weapon or a tool... What a fuckin' disaster.

bryan-vomit-bryan.gif

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
Man, I never thought I'd say this after playing through the first area of the game but.... this game is pure and unbelievable trash and pos when it comes to combat and combat mechanics. It's astounding just how terrible and bad it is, from paper thin and repetitive combat foundation, idiotic decision to focus on the pos staff the whole game, the range of which is no longer that 5cm around the MC, absolutely idiotic and small af hitboxes, constant wasting of charge attacks which can't hit enemies and bosses cuz stupid MC can't move further than 0.0cm from the point of activation, to constant interruptions of charge attacks, spell casting and all sorts of other pos which make the combat against bosses especially absolutely unbearable and terrible. And who's brain dead idea it was to focus on bs dodge mechanic and ONLY MAKE YOU DEFLECT ATTACK VIA TWO FUCKIN' BUTTONS WITH A FUCKIN' COOLDOWN TIMER? WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUCK! Whoever thought this was a great idea need to be fired and never fuckin' touch game development ever again and especially character action game. And I haven't even said anything about moronic weapon upgrade system with pos damage increases and heavy reliance on potions to bust it for a short while. It's just as terrible as in FFXVI and I hate this kind of weapon upgrade system if you can even fuckin' call it that.

Goddamn it, it's so fuckin' bad, my god. I have a lot more fun fighting shit in ZZZ with an outstanding combat system and excellent deflection mechanics than this clunky and broken pos game. For fuck's sake. UGH. It's simply and totally unredeemable what they did. And those constant invisible walls everywhere, fuckin' snipers you can't do shit to cuz you don't have any ranged weapon or a tool... What a fuckin' disaster.

bryan-vomit-bryan.gif

Agree on the combat part, its really shallow. I enjoyed stellar blades combat much more

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Chapter 2 is huge. So many side quests and hidden things. The tiger boss kicked my ass but i went back after getting the clone spell and had an easier time. Then i saw someone using the resolute flow parrry on him and it made complete sense. Need to master that skill because now I’m stuck on the final boss of this chapter.

What a great game this turned out to be.
Did you do the pig’s side quest? Because the reward is an item that makes the final boss of chapter 2 quite a bit easier.

Gaiff

The combat is far from perfect, but some of those points are simply you not grasping aspects of it. I mean:

idiotic decision to focus on the pos staff the whole game, the range of which is no longer that 5cm around the MC, absolutely idiotic and small af hitboxes, constant wasting of charge attacks which can't hit enemies and bosses cuz stupid MC can't move further than 0.0cm from the point of activation, to constant interruptions of charge attacks, spell casting and all sorts of other pos which make the combat against bosses especially absolutely unbearable and terrible.
Timing and spacing must be learned. It would be bad if they were inconsistent, but they are very consistent. I have no idea what you're talking about with bad hitboxes.

And who's brain dead idea it was to focus on bs dodge mechanic and ONLY MAKE YOU DEFLECT ATTACK VIA TWO FUCKIN' BUTTONS WITH A FUCKIN' COOLDOWN TIMER?
The focus on a dodge mechanic is fine. Bloodborne did it and it's great. However, tying the counter/parry option to a spell that needs to cool down is indeed stupid. Rock Solid's window is far too generous and to nerf it, they made it require a cooldown, which is moronic. They should have simply made it abusable by diminishing the parry duration to only a few frames and removing the mana consumption. It should be hard to pull off, punishing if mistimed but also rewarding if done right. It has to be over 200 frames, which is dumb.

The combat is serviceable if not good. It could stand a few enhancements, but what saves it is the sheer variety of enemies. Half of a combat system's quality is tied to the opponents it is used against. For example, Nioh has a significantly better combat system than Wukong, but there are like 10 enemies, so despite its much greater depth and complexity, it gets repetitive even faster because you use it over and over against the same trash mobs. The combat is kept fresh and interesting because you use combos, spells, and transformations in various ways to tackle the different adversaries.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
just got the hub area got the 3 curio. Will stop playing untill next week.
Want to savour the game slowly and not rush thing.

Ive went with the cloud step + heavy smash build. Braindead mode lol, just up your mana and spam it
I keep running out of mana. If there a way to Regen it?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

bryan-vomit-bryan.gif
There's a skill that increases staff range. It's a big game so you will be unlocking shit like armor upgrades in chapter 3. There are other weapons too I don't want to spoil but in chapter 3. Nobody will have enough points to upgrade decent skills till level 80. This game is heaven and you are role-playing Sun Wukong not some random souls protag.

Last edited:

Gaiff

There's a skill that increases staff range. It's a big game so you will be unlocking shit like armor upgrades in chapter 4. Nobody will have enough points to upgrade decent skills till level 80. This game is heaven and you are role-playing Sun Wukong not some random souls protag.
You’re not Sun Wukong. You’re the Destined One. Sun Wukong is either the rock you saw at the beginning of the game or he’s trapped under it. Either way, it’s a different monkey wer’re playing as.

Not that it changes your point, but I thought it was important to correct it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
You’re not Sun Wukong. You’re the Destined One. Sun Wukong is either the rock you saw at the beginning of the game or he’s trapped under it. Either way, it’s a different monkey wer’re playing as.

Not that it changes your point, but I thought it was important to correct it.
I am guessing this dude may become Wukong after the relics. No idea just a guess.

Gaiff

English dub is really good imo
It is. I read online it was horrible, but I disagree. The quality is very high and they do a good job keep the same tone and personality as the Chinese VAs.

Also, this game tricked me into thinking it's easier than Soulsborne games. It isn't. Chapter 4 is every bit as challenging as them. It's not SOTE hard but it's starting to become comparable to Dark Souls III. The more you advance, the tougher it gets.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Some of your criticism is valid (though I think, overblown). Especially at first, the game throws bosses at you that are teaching you how to dodge correctly - with the trade off that these bosses also spam attacks in rapid succession. Personally, I'll take this all day every day over something like an extended tutorial where the game teaches you to dodge by stopping the game at the right moment (though this has that briefly at the beginning as well). The snipers and enemies with ranged attacks are indeed annoying and perhaps too plentiful, especially in later chapters.

Struggling with the staff weapon honestly comes across sounding like a skill issue bro. Not sure how far into the game you are, but you unlock three different stances that can be toggled through quickly. The default stance is pretty average but has no range. The second stance is more defensive, but can also be effective from mid-distance. The third stance is your ranged attack, especially once you've leveled it up quite a bit. The basic staff attacks themselves are also just designed to be the means to charge up your heavy attack, transformation ability and to deal damage quickly while waiting for your spell cooldowns. And while it definitely sucks having these specials interrupted, that's the game's way of punishing you for not using the correct opening for your ability - and to prevent you from just spamming your strongest stuff all the time to kill the difficult bosses.

Enemies with ranged attacks are designed to be taken out with either the ranged stance or a transformation spell that itself has a ranged attack - at no point in this game can you sit back and snipe enemies yourself. Whether that appeals to you or not really comes down to a personal preference I suppose, about what you want this game to be. The fact that you're contrasting the combat here to ZZZ makes me think that maybe this style of game just isn't for you, and that's okay (assuming you bought it on Steam and can get a refund... if you bought it on PS5 then yeah I suppose I'd be pissed too if I were you).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The combat is far from perfect, but some of those points are simply you not grasping aspects of it.
Dude, is this a joke? What is there to grasp even? It's paper thin af as I've said. It's not a rocket science to understand such a simplistic and moronic combat system which kills the whole game since it's what you're doing most of the time. It's not as bad when it comes to the regular enemies which are pretty much all trash mobs you can kill easily.

Timing and spacing must be learned. It would be bad if they were inconsistent, but they are very consistent.
Do you think Idk what timing are and stuff after playing all From games and other Souls-likes which are far better like Lords of the Fallen for example with tons of distinct weapons, excellent meaty combat, moveset for each weapom type and fair challenge?

I have no idea what you're talking about with bad hitboxes.
They're small af when it comes to bosses, you can't hit shit standing 20 cm away from bosses cuz of the stupid staff and it's idiotic and bs and time wasting animations which don't even hit anything if it's not a forward attack. Not to mention that it is the exact same bs combo the whole game with insanly long strong attacks with just as long animations and they're not even work cuz there's no fucking forward movement at all, they can be interrupted cuz of the mentioned issues and you can be killed while doing it even with maxed out damage reduction. There's nothing in this game combat wise which can't even remotely be called good design. None of the range upgrades works cuz MC is not moving forward and continues stupid staff animations while standing in place. It's idiotic and unbearably bad. Other stances are pure bs and not even meant to fight bosses. Strong attacks are bs cuz of the mentioned issues and why the fuck it's not instant after a button press and why does it have to be after stupid animation all the time like a switching thing? WTF is this even in a character action game?

The focus on a dodge mechanic is fine.
It ruins this game along with stupid staff, paper thing complexity and other issues. If you're focusing on dodging instead of deflection, than combat system must be at the effin' least similar to Bayonetta, MGR or DMC.

It could stand a few enhancements, but what saves it is the sheer variety of enemies.
It doesn't matter if combat is paper thin and repetitive af. Lords of the Fallen has much less enemy variety but it has much better combat system woth lots of weapons, movesets and stuff you can do with runes.

For example, Nioh has a significantly better combat system than Wukong, but there are like 10 enemies, so despite its much greater depth and complexity, it gets repetitive even faster because you use it over and over against the same trash mobs.
How can Nioh get repetitive faster if it has a lot more stuff and complexity when it comes to combat while Wukong has only one basic combo and other useless stances which you don't even need while fighting regular enemies? Even stuff rotation is bs cuz it's super slow and bs.

How can you fuckin' focus the whole game on a mf stuff with pos damage and pointless and long animations? It's unbelievable.

There's a skill that increases staff range.
It doesn't work. MC like an idiot attacks thin air 90% of the time while standing close to bosses, not to mention stong attacks. But even then the damage is so fuckin' piss poor that it doesn't matter. There's various spirits you can use but it doesn't make any difference and their activation is very short and damage is also pos, I don't even know why would you ever use them against regular enemies but from what I've seen, they're only good agains them and not bosses, except this giant monk which can stagger bosses.

I can't believe how bad the combat is in this game and how many useless stuff in it, which could've been better spent on making the core combat to meet other character action game standards, but they failed completely.

jshackles jshackles the problem is not teaching you how to play, cuz there's nothing to teach as combat is extremely basic, repetitive as sin and easy to learn since all attacks are easily readable and timings are generous. So it's not a teaching problem especially for those who have excessive experience with character action games as well as From games and alike. Instead of making the basic combat loop and mechanics to be as good as possible, they instead focused on useless spirits, limiting MC to just one and very bad weapon with pos damage and two additional stances which are useless against fast and huge bosses. You failed completely if you can't make the basic combat loop fun, memorable, diverse and fair, even if the rest of the stuff in the game like setting, art etc, is excellent. How this is getting such praise on Steam is beyond my understanding. It's at best a 6.0-6.5/10 game given just how bad combat fundamentals are - again, it's 90% of the time of what you'll be doing in the game.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Dude, is this a joke? What is there to grasp even? It's paper think af as I've said. It's not a rocket science to understand such a simplistic and moronic combat system which kill the whole game since it's what you're doing most of the time. It's not as bad when it comes to the regular enemies which are pretty much all trash mobs you can kill easily.
That's the case in Chapter 1. Regular mobs get progressively more complex as you progress. I was fooled into thinking this was much easier than Soulsborne games, it isn't.

Do you think Idk what timing are and stuff after playing all From games and other Souls-likes which are far better like Lords of the Fallen for example with tons of destinct weapons, movesets and fair challenge?
Yeah, so what are you complaining about, "wah wah, staff range is too short, wah,"? Huh, get closer? Evaluate your distances properly and strike when you will hit your mark, not when you will whiff.

They're small af when it comes to bosses, you can't hit shit standing 20 cm away from bosses cuz of the stupid staff and it's idiotic and bs and time wasting animations which don't even hit anything if it's not a forward attack. Not to mention that it is the exact same bs combo the whole game with insanly long strong attacks with just as long animations and they're not even work cuz there's no fucking forward movement at all, they can be interrupted cuz of the mentioned issues and you can be killed while doing it even with maxed out damage reduction. There's nothing in this game combat wise which can't even remotely be called good design. None of the range upgrades works cuz MC is not moving forward and continues stupid staff animations while standing in place. It's idiotic and unbearably bad. Other stances are pure bs and not even meant to fight bosses. Strong attacks are bs cuz of the mentioned issues and why the fuck it's not instant after a button press and why does it have to be after stupid animation all the time like a switching thing? WTF is this even in a character action game?
They aren't small. WTF are you on lmao? Some bosses are the size of a semi-truck and the hitboxes are appropriate for their sizes. I haven't run into a single boss ( or enemy) with the small hitbox you're talking about. You hit their limbs or bodies and the hit registers.

It ruins this game along with stupid staff, paper thing complexity and other issues. If you're focusing on dodging instead of deflection, than combat system must be at the effin' least similar to Bayonetta, MGR or DMC.
No, it doesn't. You're just a whiner.

It doesn't matter if combat is paper thing and repetitive af. Lords of the Fallen has much less enemy variety but it has much better combat system woth lots of weapons, movesets and stuff you can do with runes.
LOTF sucks. Same trash mobs over and over again. It doesn't matter how good the combat is if what you use it against isn't up to snuff.

How can Nioh get repetitive faster if it has a lot more stuff and complexity when it comes to combat while Wukong has only one basic combo and other useless which you don't even need while fighting regular enemies? Even stuff rotation is bs cuz it's super slow and bs.
Because the number of enemies in the first Nioh can be counted on practically one hand. As I said before, combat is the interaction between the player and the enemies. They both need depth and complexity to make a top-tier combat system. Nioh nails what the player can do, but completely screws up with the enemies because by the time of the second mission, you've seen 90% of them. What's the point of all these tools if you're gonna use them on the same trash thugs and oni? It gets repetitive much much faster than this game.

the problem is not teaching you how to play, cuz there's nothing to teach as combat is extremely basic, repetitive as sin and easy to learn since all attacks are easily readable and timings are generous.

That's Chapter 1. This isn't the whole game. It gets much tougher later on. You also get more tools alter on and you can unlock different combos and finishers with the staff stances and upgrades.

Won't bother with the rest. You come across as a complete crybaby. Just whining and whining because the combat isn't how you want it to be. You made valid points such as the cooldown of Rock Solid not making sense, but by and large, your post is 80% just bitching because you don't like the way the combat is or making stuff up about "small hitboxes" which I never saw anyone complain about because if you hit the enemy...you do damage.

Last edited:
I somewhat agree on the combat. It takes like a full second for the heavy attack to do the animation like what lol.
The potraits are so well written its crazy they probably did it for every npc and enemy in the game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
That's the case in Chapter 1. Regular mobs get progressively more complex as you progress. I was fooled into thinking this was much easier than Soulsborne games, it isn't.
Dude, I don't even have problems with regular mobs and as terrible as combat in this game is, it's more fun to fight them and not huge bosses cuz you can actually goddamn hit things, I shit you not.

Yeah, so what are you complaining about, "wah wah, staff range is too short, wah,"? Huh, get closer? Evaluate your distances properly and strike when you will hit your mark, not when you will whiff.
20 cm away from a boss ins not closer for the huge staff to register an attack? WTF is this? It's almost as bas as missing a shot with 97% in X-COM. And what about constant interuptions while the boss have just touched you with his boddy and not even an attack? Fuck all this bs.

They aren't small. WTF are you on lmao? Some bosses are the size of a semi-truck and the hitboxes are appropriate for their sizes. I haven't run into a single boss ( or enemy) with the small hitbox you're talking about. You hit their limbs or bodies and the hit registers.
I literally could't hit a boss standing 20cm away from him with a staff I don't even know how many times, not to mention stong attack which are hitting the air right next to bosses which happens constantly if a boss will just turn in place to other direction. I fuckin' lost count how many times it happened.

No, it doesn't. You're just a whiner.
It's FUCKIN' SUCKS cuz there's nothing in the game even remotely as complex and deep for it to be the main mechanic to deal with the bosses cuz you don't have any other way except terrible deflection spekk which is just a joke. Again, if you're focusing on dodging only, the rest of the combat better be on par with Bayonetta, MGR or DMC but there's nothing even close to this in this game.

LOTF sucks. Same trash mobs over and over again. It doesn't matter how good the combat is if what you use it against isn't up to snuff.
Wukong sucks cuz combat is terrible and it's the main thing you do in the game. Guess what, of the combat is great, even if enemy variety is not good, it's much more fun playing the game with various weapons, movesets and run combination to completely change how you play the game, which is a lot more important that than how many enemies you have in the game, even though I do think LOTF suffers from it. There's absolutely no justification for terrible combat in Wukung and no amount of enemies will make it better than in LOTF ever. Are you honestly telling people here that it's better to have paper thin combat and huge enemy variety instead of much more fun and more complex one with less enemy variety? How enemy variety can even make paper thin combat better if it's repetitive as sin with the same exact basic combos all the time?

Because the number of enemies in the first Nioh can be counted on practically one hand.
It doesn't matter if combat is more complex and more fun. The purpose of Nioh is not enemy variety but complex combat and hard af even regular enemies, not to mention mini-bosses and bosses.

That's Chapter 1. This isn't the whole game. It gets much tougher later on. You also get more tools alter on and you can unlock different combos and finishers with the staff stances and upgrades.
I almost finished Chapter 2, dude. I don't see anything even remotely as you describe in skill trees which are boring af. I've 7 skill points and I can't even force myself to use them cuz there's nothing on those trees which can make the combat any better and I already unlocked what I thought was best. There's now way a few more spells can make any difference if the basic foundations are terrible and focusing on spells instead of making the basic combat loop more complex and fun is catastrophic for a game like this.

aJM2ZyJ.jpeg

You can missed a lots of boss, quest in chapter 3,4,5.
I missed only one boss. He's not respawn without Pigsy. Now I need to play NG+ to complete the list. Hate when a game did this.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I almost finished Chapter 2, dude. I don't see anything even remotely as you describe in skill trees which are boring af. I've 7 skill points and I can't even force myself to use them cuz there's nothing on those trees which can make the combat any better and I already unlocked what I thought was best. There's now way a few more spells can make any difference if the basic foundations are terrible and focusing on spells instead of making the basic combat loop more complex and fun is catastrophic for a game like this.
And it gets harder still in Chapter 3 and 4. More enemies with more varied combos that come out faster and have shorter recovery.

The three skill trees all have different finishers for the heavy attacks along with three different levels of focus. The basic combat is more complex than Souls games at the expense of weapon variety. It's less complex than Nioh but makes up for it by having 10 times the amount of enemies.

20 cm away from a boss ins not closer for the huge staff to register an attack? WTF is this? It's almost as bas as missing a shot with 97% in X-COM. And what about constant interuptions while the boss have just touched you with his boddy and not even an attack? Fuck all this bs.

So you just suck? You can't hit the boss and somehow it's the game's fault? There's a skill called Swift Engage which increases the distance from which you can strike. No idea what you mean by the boss touching you without attacking and interrupting your attacks. It doesn't happen, unless there is a specific boss I missed or didn't notice it did that.

You can either drop the game if you don't like it, keep playing and whine about it, or just come to terms with how the combat works. I have my own gripes with the combat system but "small hitboxes and staff too short" are stupid-as-hell-arguments.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Agent_4Seven Agent_4Seven

ZEaTgel.png

While the combat does have elements of a character action game, comparing (or trying to compare) the combat in this game to something like DmC or Bayonetta is always going to end in disappointment. Yes the game has, and relies heavily on, a dodge mechanic. For me, boss encounters have been extremely methodical - every boss I've encountered has some sort of window where you can just wail on them for big damage for several seconds. Dodge out of the way while they're attacking you, throw in some "combat tricks" like exploding perfect dodges or rock counters, get in some cheap light attacks of opportunity, drink to gain life if needed and if the window of opportunity is right, and wait for that damage window. When it opens, unleash everything you've got. Use your immobilize ability while they're down to extend the damage window - you can also level that ability up to make it last longer at the expense of using more mana.

The game gives you the tools you need to win, but it doesn't give you the tools to just go in guns blazing expecting to overpower with damage. You can't typically pull off ridiculous DmC-style combos that keep the bosses staggered while you wail on them. This game requires methodology and patience.

It also sounds like you've been ignoring the skill tree, which is definitely part of the problem. No, these upgrades don't magically turn the combat into combat from a different game, but it does help by giving you additional combat bonuses like higher focus recovery and additional focus points / levels, which in turn help you take down bigger enemies faster. My approach has been to unlock new staff abilities then test them out by grinding against regular trash mobs for a while, before putting the new moves into my rotation with boss fights. However, this has been a slow 20-ish hour process that's built on itself over time. The game will also let you re-spec these points from shines if you want to play with different builds.

Speaking of builds - different weapons and armor (which it sounds like you're also ignoring) do more than just buff your stats slightly. In fact, I'd say the stat bonuses on those are negligible to the combat modifiers they provide. For example, there is a staff variant that makes your light attack finisher into an electric move, and there is an armor set that once fully equipped increases your electric damage dealt. You can stack this with a potion that gives you increased electric damage - which you can keep topped up during boss fights - to help you deal massive numbers with just your basic attacks.

It sounds like your expectations of what this game is are out of sync with what the game actually provides. I know that can be disappointing, so you're at the point now where you can either decide to learn this game's mechanics or move on to something else if you're not having fun.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
And it gets harder still in Chapter 3 and 4. More enemies with more varied combos that come out faster and have shorter recovery.
Let's make one thing clear, alright? I'm not saying what I'm saying cuz I can't handle the game which is too difficult. Wukong is not even difficult, dodge windows and attacks are well readable and you need to be a complete moron to not handle such simple stuff when the game is so generous. I've no problems with enemies as well, I've problems with terrible combat systems, bs interruptions, misses within 1 cm from a boss and everything else I've mentioned. Combat in Wukong makes fighting anything in the game extremely repetitive and samey af no matter which enemy it is, cuz you only have the same 6 hit combo with the same strong attacks and tricks which don't change at all and I again, I just don't see why would you use spirits and stuff against regular enemies since they're not that hard to take down at least in the first two chapters. Maybe spirits will be a much better tool in later chapters but again, it doesn't matter since they're just basic tricks and not the main combat loop which is extremely simple and repetitive.

The three skill trees all have different finishers for the heavy attacks along with three different levels of focus. The basic combat is more complex than Souls games at the expense of weapon variety. It's less complex than Nioh but makes up for it by having 10 times the amount of enemies.
I've seen what each skiil does and I just can't see myself using anything other than the first stance and it doesn't make combat system any more complex and fun, it's just a few moves (which are all situational) and nothing else while each stance in Nioh had 3 positions which very specific uses for specific enemy types in the game, while in Wukong you can do just fine with the first stance. Like, why would I waste my time standing on the staff afway from enemies when I can attack them directly and kill them faster? The third tree is even more of a joke tbh. Even if other stances have other finishing moves, what difference does it make if everything else is so basic and repetitive? Why focus on just one stupid stuff and nothing else? Can you imagine any Souls game where you can only use spear and nothing else? Sekiro was focused on just one main weapon but its combat is much more fun, more enjoyable, gets more complex with gadgets and never gets old.

So you just suck? You can't hit the boss and somehow it's the game's fault? No idea what you mean by the boss touching you without attacking and interrupting your attacks. It doesn't happen, unless there is a specific boss I missed or didn't notice it did that.
How can you fuckin's suck in as super simple and basic game like this with so surface level combat FFS?! Stop with this bs if you don't have anything constructive and meaningful to say. I'm only telling here what I've experienced with the game on multiple occasions and so much so that it simply can't be a me thing.

You can either drop the game if you don't like it, keep playing and whine about it, or just come to terms with how the combat works. I have my own gripes with the combat system but "small hitboxes and staff too short" are stupid-as-hell-arguments.
There's a very high chance I'll drop this pos cuz of already mentioned issues, I just can't see myself dealing with such astounding incompetence from people who don't know shit about how to make character action games right, more complex, better designed and more fair in terms of combat and its fundamentals. I can play more but I just can't see how it can be any better in terms of the issues I have with the game. I can understand if one boss was badly designed with bs interruptions, idiotic hit boxes and stuff, but when it's more than one then it's definitely something with the game, how it was designed and not a me thing. Even if they'll fix hit boxes, BS interuptions of strong attack and spells, speed up animations and make strong hits instant after a button press etc., it still won't change the fact that the combat is extremely basic and completely lack much needed complexity and satisfying gameplay loop.

Agent_4Seven Agent_4Seven

ZEaTgel.png

While the combat does have elements of a character action game, comparing (or trying to compare) the combat in this game to something like DmC or Bayonetta is always going to end in disappointment. Yes the game has, and relies heavily on, a dodge mechanic. For me, boss encounters have been extremely methodical - every boss I've encountered has some sort of window where you can just wail on them for big damage for several seconds. Dodge out of the way while they're attacking you, throw in some "combat tricks" like exploding perfect dodges or rock counters, get in some cheap light attacks of opportunity, drink to gain life if needed and if the window of opportunity is right, and wait for that damage window. When it opens, unleash everything you've got. Use your immobilize ability while they're down to extend the damage window - you can also level that ability up to make it last longer at the expense of using more mana.

The game gives you the tools you need to win, but it doesn't give you the tools to just go in guns blazing expecting to overpower with damage. You can't typically pull off ridiculous DmC-style combos that keep the bosses staggered while you wail on them. This game requires methodology and patience.

It also sounds like you've been ignoring the skill tree, which is definitely part of the problem. No, these upgrades don't magically turn the combat into combat from a different game, but it does help by giving you additional combat bonuses like higher focus recovery and additional focus points / levels, which in turn help you take down bigger enemies faster. My approach has been to unlock new staff abilities then test them out by grinding against regular trash mobs for a while, before putting the new moves into my rotation with boss fights. However, this has been a slow 20-ish hour process that's built on itself over time. The game will also let you re-spec these points from shines if you want to play with different builds.

Speaking of builds - different weapons and armor (which it sounds like you're also ignoring) do more than just buff your stats slightly. In fact, I'd say the stat bonuses on those are negligible to the combat modifiers they provide. For example, there is a staff variant that makes your light attack finisher into an electric move, and there is an armor set that once fully equipped increases your electric damage dealt. You can stack this with a potion that gives you increased electric damage - which you can keep topped up during boss fights - to help you deal massive numbers with just your basic attacks.

It sounds like your expectations of what this game is are out of sync with what the game actually provides. I know that can be disappointing, so you're at the point now where you can either decide to learn this game's mechanics or move on to something else if you're not having fun.
See, the reason I even compare Wukong to Bayonetta for example is cuz dodge mechanic is just as essential to the combat as is in Wukong and yet Bayonetta is much more fun cuz it uses dodge mechanic not as a stupid defensive tool which is no match to a much more satisfying and better parry and attack deflection system, but as an integral part of the combat to emphasise dealing damage and kill enemies faster with variety of moves, finishers etc. to make the combat loop fun, varied and complex at the same time. Wukong devs use it as a not as integral part of the combat, but as the only option to defend yourself from enemies which is complete BS in a game like this and they can fix it easily IF they'll make deflection spell as a basic move you can do to deflect enemy attacks and emphasise aggressive play instead of clown and coward like bs stuff you do in combat dodging away for enemies after just a few hits cuz you can't do anything else do defend yourself and quickly counter enemies without wasting times getting back to them, making a few cheap af hits and so on until the fight ends. It's extremely boring, completely unsatisfying and tedious and removes all the fun from combat cuz most of the time you just dodge stuff wasting stamina and you simply can't not use dodge cuz it is the only option to avoid enemy attacks and the second staff tree is a joke.

Souls games are also not that complex when it comes to combat even with Ashes of War and such, but in these games you can make your weapons stronger and hit harder while in Wukong it just bs cheap hits with bs damage everytime after new weapong craftig and you can't even increas you damage via crafting like you can with all other stats (HP, Stamina, Mana etc.) which is just pure BS as well and clearly shows that making basic combat loop fun and complex wasn't even in their plans or something the can do at all, they focus to much on useless fluff instead of making the basic fundamentals of the combat to be complex, more fun and enjoyable. How can some people can see this is beyond my understanding. It makes bossfight even more boring and a complete chore just cuz of how poor you are at dealing damage, just how much time it takes to take down bosses and just how basic the combat it. There's nothing worse and more boring than long boss fight with such a bad combat system like in Wukong and with such a poor and BS damage you do to bosses. All of this is completely intentional and made on purpose like this by bs design cuz the fights are not even hard, but what makes then hard or more like boring and tideous, is just how much time you need to waste killing bosses cuz of how little damage you do to them. I swear I could kill all the bosses I killed so far much faster and with no sweat at all if it werent for bs damage you do to them.

Last edited:

jshackles

TL; DR "I'd rather be playing something else", or

8S-DhPgfon5-6hgvxIWZbFj2esSzR9AIiaAMCEC7rrJr5H6oF2eRN1OOyVYsr3ikDYEFeuKHVaflPGuRcRusAE2diKHzNYJB3AkiONGXt-JmsTipaA

Sounds like this game just isn't for you then. Personally, I'm glad they didn't make it the way you're describing because that sounds terrible to me in my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Chapter 3 is just so good. Shockingly also missed a few meditation spots so went back and found em.

Non spoilery guides are out there if you don’t want to miss anything. And you shouldn’t because so far all of the sides have led to something valuable be it a tool for the big boss or a decent item or upgrade.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
TL; DR "I'd rather be playing something else", or

8S-DhPgfon5-6hgvxIWZbFj2esSzR9AIiaAMCEC7rrJr5H6oF2eRN1OOyVYsr3ikDYEFeuKHVaflPGuRcRusAE2diKHzNYJB3AkiONGXt-JmsTipaA

Sounds like this game just isn't for you then.
Dude, I like everything else in the game, the art and art design in incredinle, the setting is great, the characters are great, the enemy variety is exceptional and I'm only in the Chapter 2. How can you fuck this all up and fail so hard at combat? It's unbelievable.

Personally, I'm glad they didn't make it the way you're describing because that sounds terrible to me in my personal opinion.
How can a more complex, more varied and more fun combat system be terrible in a game like this? It's a blessing, not a curse.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Currently in Chapter 3,really enjoying the combat of this game the thrust stance is my go to with it's incredible range and the hit boxes are incredible, Captain Lotus Vision despite being bullshit I manage to get in about 5 tries and Captain Wise Vice, I first tried, games is mad rewarding when you actually learn how to play it

Opposite for me. Lotus Vision I one shotted. Wise Ass took four 😎

Top Bottom