• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Screw this tiger dude!
Use counterflow resolute on him.

he gave me so much trouble.

also, dont take him on until you get the four monkeys spell. do all the other stuff in the chapter first.

Jesus the boss fights get more and more Insane!

Those of you still on Chapter 2 you have no idea.

Honestly I don't understand how this game exists there's so much variety and it's so polished.

Is it UNREAL 5 streamlining development?
China. They dont give a fuck about work life balance.

there was a story about how after the first gameplay trailer went viral, people kept showing up to their offices. one guy snuck in during the weekend thinking no one would be there but they were all there working.

Basically the crunched all four years lol

they will burn out like all western devs did. rockstar, EA, ND, SSM and especially Blizzard were all doing this. its not sustainable. but this is their first game so they arent quite as burnt out.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Lots of interesting discussion on the last page about the game's combat. I ended up agreeing with both the haters and the people who like the combat even though im in the latter camp.

Yes, having just one weapon is a bit too simple but they do give you multiple stances so your stick becomes a Lance and the bamboo stick one is pretty cool because you get to do all the moves of that one boss in the first chapter. its not as varied as say GOW but its good enough. However, im only in chapter 2 so not sure if i will be bored by the end.

I also agree that the only parry/counter mechanic is a bit too complicated even after you understand how to pull it off. That said, when you do figure it out it feels so much fun to execute. Honestly, now that ive begun to create a build around my triangle attacks in general, i am having a blast I think it must just be my favorite mechanic since the mikiri counter in sekiro all those years ago.

And yes, some fodder enemies are too easy that was true for mostly chapter 1, chapter 2 had a lot of really hard encounters. it was actually challenging and i like that i was able to use all my abilities in this game.

i just wish some of the bosses werent so hard. the tiger boss kicked my ass like 10 times. and the final chapter 2 boss seems to be impossible to beat atm. i want more gow style spectacle bosses and fewer souls bosses.

Overall, im having a lot of fun. the game is extremely polished, and the combat is still fun to play.

Exentryk

uzU0PMA.jpg

I’m so hooked. I somehow missed that head bash spell/summon. Anyone remember where in ch1 it is?
Spawn in the second shrine of the first area, then go forward where 2 enemies are standing, go past them and you'll see another enemy. The spirit is to the right from this area. You'll see it.

Two real bosses down in chapter 1 these past hour. Big baby Buddha was annoying until you can basically stunlock him with the pillar stance.

NeoLed

Yes, having just one weapon is a bit too simple but they do give you multiple stances so your stick becomes a Lance and the bamboo stick one is pretty cool because you get to do all the moves of that one boss in the first chapter. its not as varied as say GOW but its good enough. However, im only in chapter 2 so not sure if i will be bored by the end.
I'm in ch 3 and after a sidequest (quite hidden) I got a new weapon recipe which change the staff to a literal spear with different 4th light attack combo move. It gives bonus attack for Thrust Stance too. Don't know yet for the later chapter, but it's something promising

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
I nearly quit because of the end Chapter 2 boss. I spent 2 hours trying before I ended up looking up some tips. There were 2 quests that I didn't finish and luckily those quest items finally helped me beat him after another 45 minute session. When he gets down to his last 1/4 of his health bar the fight sucks. I had him multiple times but he was out of the zone and my attacks would hit the invisible wall.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Up to yellow wind sage in chapter 2, got my ass kicked but went on to explore around. What an amazing map it is honestly, I can't believe the modeling details and diversity of the environment, its oozing with geometry. Must be the best looking UE5 game to date right? (that is a long game I mean, sorry Hellblade 2)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Honestly, I don't know what to tell you, my man. I just fought Non-Able, a mini-boss martial artist in Chapter 3. His first phase has him with his hands tied behind his back and he attacks with a flurry of kicks, headbutts, and breakdance-like moves. Once you deplete his health bar, he frees his hands, becomes faster and more aggressive, and starts using more complex barrages of kicks, punches, flips, that now have an exploding Ki effect a lot of the time. To beat him, I selected the gourd that recovers mana as well as health, I selected Ashen Dust as a transformation, Pluck of Many for the Alteration, and Immobilize for Mysticism. I started the fight by using Thrust Stance when I gained focus to keep him at bay and immobilize him whenever I had the chance. When he reached his much faster and harder second phase, I immobilized him at the start, summoned the clones, and let them keep him busy while I charged level 3 attacks and staggered him. Once he was done with them, I transformed and built up the fire meter and used the scorching attack and perfect dodge to build up the meter. When the transformation was about to run out, I used the explosion attack to stagger and damage him and went back to my normal form. Used Rock Solid to parry him, a few perfect dodges, and then I finished him off. He killed me once.

I have no idea how you can say the combat has no depth or complexity. There is a boatload of tools at your disposal, a decent variety of combos with the staff stances, and a lot of shit you can do to customize your playstyle and approach the bosses in a way that you like. Hell, you can even combo your spirits into your attacks.

I guess the game just isn't for you.
I'll wait a few dozen patches and see if it got better or not in a year or so, but for now - uninstalled.

draliko

Finally completed the first chapter with optional bosses... And the only thing I can say after the end chapter video is I would kill for the next from game to have this production value... The thing that really stood for me was bosses mocap and expressivity... Now pardon me I'm gonna go and get my butt kicked in chapter 2

havoc00

Lots of interesting discussion on the last page about the game's combat. I ended up agreeing with both the haters and the people who like the combat even though im in the latter camp.

I also agree that the only parry/counter mechanic is a bit too complicated even after you understand how to pull it off. That said, when you do figure it out it feels so much fun to execute. Honestly, now that ive begun to create a build around my triangle attacks in general, i am having a blast I think it must just be my favorite mechanic since the mikiri counter in sekiro all those years ago.

And yes, some fodder enemies are too easy that was true for mostly chapter 1, chapter 2 had a lot of really hard encounters. it was actually challenging and i like that i was able to use all my abilities in this game.

i just wish some of the bosses werent so hard. the tiger boss kicked my ass like 10 times. and the final chapter 2 boss seems to be impossible to beat atm. i want more gow style spectacle bosses and fewer souls bosses.

Overall, im having a lot of fun. the game is extremely polished, and the combat is still fun to play.

Do you feel your at a wall with the harder bosses, or can you grind and become a bit OP if facing a roadblock?

SlimySnake

Do you feel your at a wall with the harder bosses, or can you grind and become a bit OP if facing a roadblock?
well, both of the final bosses for the first two chapters are made super easy if you do all the side quests. you get an item each to negate damage for that particular boss' elemental attacks. so just google it before you take on the final boss for each level.

as for the mini bosses like white noble and blood tiger, well, yes, you kind of have to get good. i struggled a lot with both and in the end, only beat them by carefully managing my spells and transformations. saving them for the final phases when they go aggro. Learn the pattern for the first half then unleash the four monkeys, transformations, big baby head dude, and immobilization.

grinding might help if you are able to get some upgrades to going, but i dont think those small bonuses are worth the grind. might as well spend that time learning boss patterns or practicing how to consistently pull of resolute counterflow.

99% of the other mini bosses are super easy and can be cheesed if you have upgraded your four monkey attacks.

SlimySnake

Up to yellow wind sage in chapter 2, got my ass kicked but went on to explore around. What an amazing map it is honestly, I can't believe the modeling details and diversity of the environment, its oozing with geometry. Must be the best looking UE5 game to date right? (that is a long game I mean, sorry Hellblade 2)
it's astounding and yes, hellblade 2 might look better but its not as big as this. the scale is what's so impressive about these assets.

Make sure to google and do all the side quests in chapter 2 before taking on the final boss. the secret boss fight in chapter 2 might be my favorite. Pure Gow.

Finally completed the first chapter with optional bosses... And the only thing I can say after the end chapter video is I would kill for the next from game to have this production value... The thing that really stood for me was bosses mocap and expressivity... Now pardon me I'm gonna go and get my butt kicked in chapter 2
This blew me away.

NXc3R8z.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That took me 4 attempts. I did watch a couple videos on it to see what other people did and one comment said it took him 5 hours. I didn’t utilize half the stuff they recommended.

I don’t use the Naruto clones because they cost way too much mana. My go to was immobilize and the fire transformation. Fire transformation causes burn status, but if you don’t spam triangle/pyramid you’ll last longer. You’ll also cause stagger if you keep the light combo going. I’m so glad I did a lot of backtracking before getting to that boss.

I don’t have pole stance leveled up except to get the stance. I put most of my skill points in the slam. I don’t remember the names for some reason.

Do you feel you’re at a wall with the harder bosses, or can you grind and become a bit OP if facing a roadblock?
They hide everything in the skill tree. Gaining more points by leveling makes combat better. There’s a skill where you can charge your staff while running or perform a perfect dodge and don’t lose all your charges. There’s perks to help increase critical hit damage.

I read somewhere where points in resistance doesn’t do much because you rely on armor for that. I did read where you should wear a complete set of armor to get all the perks from that.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Perfornance is tanking the score. I can't say I have a 10 performance when the game do frame skipping in battle. Like I'm in fighting enemies and the frame freeze for 0.3 s while the game actually still running making enemies have free attack to me

On PS5? I am on PC so didn't know that. That's bad.

draliko

it's astounding and yes, hellblade 2 might look better but its not as big as this. the scale is what's so impressive about these assets.

Make sure to google and do all the side quests in chapter 2 before taking on the final boss. the secret boss fight in chapter 2 might be my favorite. Pure Gow.

This blew me away.

NXc3R8z.gif
That boss and the secret monk in chapter 1 were something else, truly awesome

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Got that ch. 4 boss down on my second attempt, smoked him 👌 Let's see what else this chapter throws at me. Also, progress tracker says I'm at 61% after 37 hours, reminder that the tracking only applies to main story path beats, this is a meaty game indeed. Platinum seems like it might be a bitch too due to missable stuff needed for all lore entries, especially if you're keeping it purist and playing without any guides as I am. Oh well, let's see what happens.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That really stops in Chapter 3. No more enemies like the foxes who are just punching bags. Some regular mobs are insanely strong as well.

The game really fools you into believing it’s quite easy. It really is not. Each chapter is much harder than the last. The good thing about it is that it conditions you to believe you can win, unlike Souls games that try to filter out noobs very early.

Chapter 1 is very easy. Chapter 2 is significantly harder but still a step below most Souls games. Chapter 3 has some encounters that are straight up Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 level of hard. Lucky us, none approaches the bullshit level of Malenia or Promised Consort Radahn or SOTE bosses in general.

Yin Tiger has been by far the most challenging boss so far, but you can always beat him later. He’s a From boss through and through. Highly aggressive, huge damage, delayed and fast attacks, barely stops attacking, and in the last quarter of the fight, he gives you a split second between combos to hit him. He spams them nonstop and goes crazy. Need to keep your transformations for the final part.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Biggest flaw of this game are these fucking invisible walls that make exploration way more confusing than it should be.

Even worse where you have identical fucking asset but you can climb on 1\5 of them but not the other.

For the sequel they need to go full open world or make proper level design without inv walls.

Also, more weapons, or at least more diversified stances and better balancement for skills\summon, some are just way better than others and you get them very early, i should be excited to get new skills or summons during the game but it barely happen because the early ones are just too good to switch.

The game is far from perfect but it could still land as my goty.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Started playing this yesterday, it's quite possibly the nicest looking game I've ever seen.

I'm running it on a 4090 with every setting on maximum including ray tracing with dlss on 50/performance frame generation on.

Seems pretty good for that I'm get 67ish without frame generation.

Its took an open mind to accept the invisible walls and the mainly one button attacking at first but once you get to grips with it, I think light attack is something you branch off of on each attack pattern.

So far it's game of the year for me if shadow of the ERDTREE can't be counted.

Holdfing

I hope all them Chinese hypemen and women choke on their credit scores. This game is so flawed. I hate the levels. They look nice, but are very simple and full of invisible walls. Oh, it looks like you can jump up somewhere or found a little nook that might hold a hidden path? WRONG! Invisible wall! Pagoda Realm is just awful: narrow wooden beam, archers. Just deflect, right? Deflect + move is shit, it veers to the right, you'll fall off and die. Deflect in place then move: some asshole jumps on you and knocks you off. Had to switch to cloud walk or whatever it's called. It has a forward dash component to it, so of course I died again to gravity on my first try.

Gameplay is good. Not as good as a FromSoft game, but good.
Bosses are great and there are a ton of them, but difficulty feels all over the place.

7/10 so far, I ragequit at Yellowbrow 2nd part.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I hope all them Chinese hypemen and women choke on their credit scores. This game is so flawed. I hate the levels. They look nice, but are very simple and full of invisible walls. Oh, it looks like you can jump up somewhere or found a little nook that might hold a hidden path? WRONG! Invisible wall! Pagoda Realm is just awful: narrow wooden beam, archers. Just deflect, right? Deflect + move is shit, it veers to the right, you'll fall off and die. Deflect in place then move: some asshole jumps on you and knocks you off. Had to switch to cloud walk or whatever it's called. It has a forward dash component to it, so of course I died again to gravity on my first try.

Bosses are great and there are a ton of them, but difficulty feels all over the place.

The level design is actually decent\good, a lot of shit to explore and branching paths but yeah the inv walls are some grade A bullshit.

To avoid the arrows in the pagoda i was just jumping tbh, they can barely hit you that way, the walking deflect make you fall down like you say.

But there are like 1-2 moment where you have to do that, it's hardly a constant of the game, none of what is in this game is as frustrating as the worse shit we had in fromsoft games, not even close.

I think the gameplay fluidity is better than most souls and on par with sekiro and bb that have the best gameplay of all fromsoft games except ac6, it just lack the sheer variety of souls because you only have one weapon.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still on chapter 2, pretty cool area with way more interconnectivity than the previous one.

Think I already found the final boss, but since I still have a few bestiary entries left to fill and a whole secret area to explore I think I'll leave it for later on.

Haven't had much trouble difficulty wise so far, I've beaten most bosses on 2 or 3 tries tops. My favorite one so far has been the Tiger on the blood pool, amazing stuff. Pretty cool when you fight the Tiger guard on the secret area of chp2 and he recognizes the stone technique when you use it, very nice detail.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Finally started the game! End of chapter 1 I guess. I'm really enjoying it, but not all of it.
Really bummed by how it runs on PS5, "balance" mode looks like dogdhit and "performance" feels like it's dropping way sub 30 during boss fights. Not sure if I should continue playing as I'm hearing they're putting a patch together?

How does the parry mechanic work? I've done most of Chapter 4 and still don't understand it lol

GymWolf

Gold Member
How does the parry mechanic work? I've done most of Chapter 4 and still don't understand it lol
It's the same as hardening in mortal shell.

You press the skill button and you become rock hard, then the enemies can hit you or suck you off to make you return normal.

If you are talking about the parry attacks, you just spam light attack and when you see the enemy attack you press heavy attack to ignore the damage of their attacks and counter, it's a bit tricky to pull off against some enemies, also you need at least a focus point (you have a skill to use these moves without focus but they do kinda shit damage).

Last edited:

Sentenza

I just reached the beginning of Chapter 6 (which means I'm probably on my way toward the epilogue) and I have to say that during the 30-40 hours it took me to get here I've been impressed more and more with the game for every passing hour.

It's not without its share of flaws (then again what game is, really?), but as first effort from a newly formed studio this was nothing short of an outstanding achievement.
Solid and mostly satisfying combat, good level design, staggering amount AND variety of content, excellent production value and cinematography across the board, etc, etc...

Personally the only two glaring issues I can point and the things I'd like to see improved in their future games are
- they should work on ways to eliminate or mask their "invisible walls" more seamlessly
- the game would benefit from having more advanced navigation and traversal options unlocked over time (Metroidvania style)
- While the combat is more good than bad (at least good enough to count as a net positive for the game) I would appreciate if they could make everything a bit tighter: better sense of impact on receiving and landing hits, clearer"tells" from enemy moves, a bit less "visual noise" in the most concitate moments of action.

Last edited:

Holdfing

I think the gameplay fluidity is better than most souls and on par with sekiro and bb that have the best gameplay of all fromsoft games except ac6, it just lack the sheer variety of souls because you only have one weapon.
I guess it's a matter of preference and I prefer From combat. It's close, though.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Loving this spirit summon, it's the one that finally replaced Wandering Wight (which I fully expect to be nerfed, way too OP)

The secret area in ch. 4 is the most beautiful location in the entire game thus far, simply stunning and filled with goodies as usual 👌

Edit: boss spoiler Scorpion Lord, Jesus Christ. Almost had him my first attempt though.

Edit 2: this guy is a maniac, calm the fuck down lol 😂

Last edited:

Hugare

"ThErE's JuSt OnE WeApOn"

Let me remind you guys of another game with only one weapon that people have praised it a bit

78hCX9F.png

And I'm going to be honest, Wukong's combat is way more diverse than Sekiro.
More satisfying? Most definitely not (at least at 30 FPS how I'm playing it)
More varied? Way more.

Sekiro is all about parrying and counter attacking. It feels good, it plays great, but varied its not.

Now, I'll definitely ruffle some feathers with the next one, but

ZKdaoiG.jpeg

Most people have finished Bloodborne with the same starting weapon but upgraded and "roll + attack" combo. Lets be honest.

In terms of combat mechanics its barebones af, honestly. Still, one of my GOATs, but not because the combat system offers some crazy variety. Dark Souls and Elden Ring offer way more build variety and hence combat variety than Bloodborne.

Mentioning these two 'cause imo, Wukong has a lot of similarities with these two. But in Wukong I feel compelled to use all of my arsenal while fighting: summons, stances, combos, powers ...

Never felt this way about Bloodborne, for example. It was all about getting the timing right for the rolls and striking.

And can someone please explain why there are so many people comparing BMW to God of War/DMC?

I've seen even reviews mentioning these games as inspirations (without ever explaining why), and I couldnt be more baffled

Last edited:

Hugare

wut? no! The weapon diversity was one of greatest aspects in that game.....
To me, no it wasnt

It meant wasting resources upgrading another weapon + getting used to it when at the end of the day, my fully upgraded starting weapon can be (and was) just as much if not more effective.

I used the axe for the whole game

Last edited:
To me, no it wasnt
Then that is purely a "you" thing you just decided to generalise and present as a fact, which it absolutely isn't.
I´ve played a LOT of multiplayer in that game and I barely saw weapons twice....Just as it is in all the other From games (bar sekiro) the build variety is gigantic and very thoroughly used by the userbase.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just reached the beginning of Chapter 6 (which means I'm probably on my way toward the epilogue) and I have to say that during the 30-40 hours it took me to get here I've been impressed more and more with the game for every passing hour.

It's not without its share of flaws (then again what game is, really?), but as first effort from a newly formed studio this was nothing short of an outstanding achievement.
Solid and mostly satisfying combat, good level design, staggering amount AND variety of content, excellent production value and cinematography across the board, etc, etc...

Personally the only two glaring issues I can point and the things I'd like to see improved in their future games are
- they should work on ways to eliminate or mask their "invisible walls" more seamlessly
- the game would benefit from having more advanced navigation and traversal options unlocked over time (Metroidvania style)
- While the combat is more good than bad (at least good enough to count as a net positive for the game) I would appreciate if they could make everything a bit tighter: better sense of impact on receiving and landing hits, clearer"tells" from enemy moves, a bit less "visual noise" in the most concitate moments of action.
What has been your most used stance?

Sentenza

What has been your most used stance?
Smash for most of the game and then I switched to Pillar in the past 8-10 hours.
I didn't find anything wrong with the first, to be clear, I was just in the mood to experiment a bit AND getting a weapon that gave bonus damage for Pillar acted as the incentive I needed.

Now that I'm basically wrapping up the game I have to say that I think the talent system could have used some streamlinging.
I'm also not entirely sold on the idea of [basically] pushing the player to pick one stance and optimize for it.
The game would have probably benefitted in variety from encouraging people to swap stances constantly.

Not a major flaw by any mean, just a personal preference.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The game would have probably benefitted in variety from encouraging people to swap stances constantly.
While I do have a preferred stance that I use the majority of the time and have built up the skill tree quite a bit, I do also find myself situationally swapping between stances (especially the up and right stances) pretty often while fighting bosses. Agree that the game should probably have a way of making all the stances equally good and situational to encourage more people to be constantly swapping, as it gives some good strategy and more interactivity to the combat.

But I'm also just now on chapter 5, and I'm level 101 so... I've spent a lot of points in all three lol

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Pagoda realm sucks but I recommend you to grind past that somehow.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Ch. 4 secret area main boss down, took about 4 attempts. More importantly, I stumbled upon something pretty damn cool in this fight that I guess is dependent on *not* doing something *before* engaging in this battle (but I could be wrong, sound off anyone who played it different) , HEAVY SPOILER WARNING

Hugare

Pagoda Realm is just awful: narrow wooden beam, archers. Just deflect, right? Deflect + move is shit, it veers to the right, you'll fall off and die. Deflect in place then move: some asshole jumps on you and knocks you off.

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

You have played Souls games, right?

Havent encountered archers fucking you up while you cross a narrow place? Or an enemy hidden behind a wall to throw you off the cliff?

None?

Top Bottom