• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Just finished the game. Damn the final boss fight was epic af.

I'll rate this 9/10. They just need to improve the combat and make the invisible wall reasonable in the next game.

And I loveee the ending animation for each chapter. Especially chapter 4 5 6.

Ch. 4 secret area main boss down, took about 4 attempts. More importantly, I stumbled upon something pretty damn cool in this fight that I guess is dependent on *not* doing something *before* engaging in this battle (but I could be wrong, sound off anyone who played it different) , HEAVY SPOILER WARNING

Congrats, you just missed the scorpion boss fight and his loot

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I made it past Chapter 4 last night, but I think I'm going to go back and revisit and scour the previous chapters some more before moving forward. I think I'm still missing one boss in chapter 1 and like 3 bosses in chapter 2. Chapter 3 and 4 I just kind of went in a bit of straight line, so I think I'm missing 6–7 bosses each in those chapters. Steam says I'm missing 3 achievements (by percentage of people earned) for where I'm at right now, so I'll try and mop those up too - I'm trying to play through this game without a guide, but the temptation is there since the game doesn't have a map.

Damn, this game is meaty.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Some Photo Mode goodness, spoilers through ch. 4

Lg2pDgi.jpeg
7G05wl9.jpeg
bRipoAq.jpeg
UGSY2ZA.jpeg
oXjwpWj.jpeg
LGwEVM8.jpeg
yTxgkEo.jpeg

I just reached the beginning of Chapter 6 (which means I'm probably on my way toward the epilogue) and I have to say that during the 30-40 hours it took me to get here I've been impressed more and more with the game for every passing hour.

It's not without its share of flaws (then again what game is, really?), but as first effort from a newly formed studio this was nothing short of an outstanding achievement.
Solid and mostly satisfying combat, good level design, staggering amount AND variety of content, excellent production value and cinematography across the board, etc, etc...

Personally the only two glaring issues I can point and the things I'd like to see improved in their future games are
- they should work on ways to eliminate or mask their "invisible walls" more seamlessly
- the game would benefit from having more advanced navigation and traversal options unlocked over time (Metroidvania style)
- While the combat is more good than bad (at least good enough to count as a net positive for the game) I would appreciate if they could make everything a bit tighter: better sense of impact on receiving and landing hits, clearer"tells" from enemy moves, a bit less "visual noise" in the most concitate moments of action.
Just in case you missed it, you should visit chapter 3 to find a place name The Great Pagoda before go to final boss ins chapter 6 for hidden ending. You need to finished all the game hidden area to unlock the boss in that place

Bartski

Gold Member
Ok I’m done. Black Bear and the whole ch1 finale was epic but it was a complete slideshow and we’re talking performance mode. This game is way too good to play it in such a shitty state. Happy to wait for ps5 pro for this one, Bartski out

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Ok I’m done. Black Bear and the whole ch1 finale was epic but it was a complete slideshow and we’re talking performance mode. This game is way too good to play it in such a shitty state. Happy to wait for ps5 pro for this one, Bartski out

What on God's green earth are you talking about? The game holds 60 FPS 90% of the time, confirmed in DF's tech review and my 42 hours of play time in Performance Mode. Areas with heavy particle effects like the bear battle you might see some drops but "slideshow" is hyperbolic don't you think? Game has been *super* smooth overall, main issue being input lag due to frame gen but honestly this only affects me when trying to use items on the d-pad funnily enough, it were a bigger problem there is no way I would've beaten some of these bosses on my first attempt.

Ultimately I expect the game to run better on Pro (this applies to every game) so if you have other stuff to play and can wait then do it 👍

Last edited:

Braag

The cloak from secret area of CH1 is almost mandatory in CH5. I was tearing my hair out until I remembered I had that.

Bartski

Gold Member
What on God's green earth are you talking about? The game holds 60 FPS 90% of the time, confirmed in DF's tech review and my 42 hours of play time in Performance Mode. Areas with heavy particle effects like the bear battle you might see some drops but "slideshow" is hyperbolic don't you think? Game has been *super* smooth overall, main issue being input lag due to frame gen but honestly this only affects me when trying to use items on the d-pad funnily enough, it were a bigger problem there is no way I would've beaten some of these bosses on my first attempt.

Ultimately I expect the game to run better on Pro (this applies to every game) so if you have other stuff to play and can wait then do it 👍
you can't be serious. Drops on that boss made it hardly possible to react to some of it's attacks when he gets on fire. Very noticable heavy stutters all the way duting presence of elemental effects across all chapter and that's on top of already rather poor image quality. Like I said I love the game so I don't think this is how I wanna experience it. Not sure what's up with "banced" where the image is all blurry, "performance" looks much sharper. I haven't seen the DF clip yet but I will check it out if it's not spoiler heavy

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I fought one blue one and one gold one and beat them both

Maybe when you beat the blue one then you didn't have the ability to absorb the spirit with a message in the likes "cannot absorb Spirits without guidance". It'll be available in the shrines in one of the menu selection.

ajanke

Maybe when you beat the blue one then you didn't have the ability to absorb the spirit with a message in the likes "cannot absorb Spirits without guidance". It'll be available in the shrines in one of the menu selection.
That’s def what happened. Can’t find anything in the shrines though hmmm

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ngl. I am enjoying my time and the reward from beating bosses. There’s a small part of me that wants to use a GameShark with this game just to save me from the grind.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Not everyone feel frame drops the same.

Returnal was losing A LOT of frames during the most chaotic combat scenes and i had several people telling me how smooth it was...

I didn't played the console version so mine is just a broad statement.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What's interesting is that the more I think about it and the more I play this game - the game itself is almost like a genre transformation between chapters.

Chapter 1 - Closely resembles the modern God of War.
Enemies not that difficult, levels are very linear, a few secrets to find but nothing too far out of the way.

Chapter 2 - Closely resembles Jedi: Fallen Order (minus wall running).
Branching paths that all ultimately lead to the same place, but with a few treasures and secrets thrown in. Regular enemies start getting a little more difficult, but without death penalty it's all still pretty doable with only a few "hard" skill check bosses here and there like the Tiger guy.

Chapter 3 and on, the game becomes a true Souls game
The regular enemies get cheap shots, the bosses will absolutely fuck you up if you're unprepared (and you have to learn their move sets and patterns to win). You have to really start paying attention to your own skills, builds, cooldowns, etc. No death penalty means it's "easier" still than Souls games, but by this point in my playthrough it wouldn't matter much anyway as I'm already well leveled.

In a way, it's like the game is training you over time to transition from regular action RPGs into Souls-like games, and I'm happy to be along for the ride.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What's interesting is that the more I think about it and the more I play this game - the game itself is almost like a genre transformation between chapters.

Chapter 1 - Closely resembles the modern God of War.
Enemies not that difficult, levels are very linear, a few secrets to find but nothing too far out of the way.

Chapter 2 - Closely resembles Jedi: Fallen Order (minus wall running).
Branching paths that all ultimately lead to the same place, but with a few treasures and secrets thrown in. Regular enemies start getting a little more difficult, but without death penalty it's all still pretty doable with only a few "hard" skill check bosses here and there like the Tiger guy.

Chapter 3 and on, the game becomes a true Souls game
The regular enemies get cheap shots, the bosses will absolutely fuck you up if you're unprepared (and you have to learn their move sets and patterns to win). You have to really start paying attention to your own skills, builds, cooldowns, etc. No death penalty means it's "easier" still than Souls games, but by this point in my playthrough it wouldn't matter much anyway as I'm already well leveled.

In a way, it's like the game is training you over time to transition from regular action RPGs into Souls-like games, and I'm happy to be along for the ride.
You must have played on normal because on max difficulty both gow and especially ragnarock are WAY harder than wukong and there a lot of annoying enemies.

I died more times against groups of 4-5 enemies than against any boss in wukong, the fact that every enemy can level up mid fight was some bullshit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Does it need to be at a shrine close to that death? I went back to that area and the monk is gone. Don’t check the shrine there but the one I’m at now doesn’t have it either

Wow, I don't think it needs to be that shrine to be honest.

You sure you don't have the spirit? Wandering wight. You have the upgrade to absorb spirits right? I'm not sure its even skippable but just to be sure you have other spirits in the list? If all that fails, its a bug I guess.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The fact that some enemies have ragdoll and some have precanned death animations is very confusing :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

ajanke

Wow, I don't think it needs to be that shrine to be honest.

You sure you don't have the spirit? Wandering wight. You have the upgrade to absorb spirits right? I'm not sure its even skippable but just to be sure you have other spirits in the list? If all that fails, its a bug I guess.
Yeah I’m about halfway through chapter 2. Off, yeah, can’t find it with all my others

You must have played on normal because on max difficulty both gow and especially ragnarock are WAY harder than wukong and there a lot of annoying enemies.

The problem with Ragnarök is the difficulty only increases the enemies health which in this case is more souls like. Here the enemies level with you.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Yeah I’m about halfway through chapter 2. Off, yeah, can’t find it with all my others

The only thing I can think of then is that, beating the secret boss before absorbing the wandering wight spirit makes it disappear. Beating the secret boss (ringing the 3rd bell to be precise) before beating wandering wight makes it disappear, so maybe it applies also to the spirit. Or going into chapter 2 cleans the retrieve spirit section.

Very strange and so far, not really explained on internet, but you're not alone.

Thankfully, honestly there's better spirits out there.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The problem with Ragnarök is the difficulty only increases the enemies health which in this case is more souls like. Here the enemies level with you.
They are also more aggressive, do more damage and get less stagger from your hits on max difficulty, it's not only the health pool.

It's also not only a matter of damage and health, the elfs for example are super annoying to fight no matter how may health they have.

Last edited:

ungalo

Also finished the game. I really enjoyed it. It's not my favorite type of action game but it's less diluted than other modern action-RPG-adventure games we've had recently, there is a decent amount of options to chose from, during in a fight, not just as a setup or a build. Some areas are weird sometimes, a little too big also, but overall the game has a good pace, you never get bored, it's pretty tight.

And so generous. I like where the game sits when it comes to narration and the overall feeling of adventure. It's an exuberant game, not austere or minimalistic like Souls, but not tedious like God of War or other games like that.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Also finished the game. I really enjoyed it. It's not my favorite type of action game but it's less diluted than other modern action-RPG-adventure games we've had recently, there is a decent amount of options to chose from, during in a fight, not just as a setup or a build. Some areas are weird sometimes, a little too big also, but overall the game has a good pace, you never get bored, it's pretty tight.

And so generous. I like where the game sits when it comes to narration and the overall feeling of adventure. It's an exuberant game, not austere or minimalistic like Souls, but not tedious like God of War or other games like that.
I was pretty impressed by the number and quality of cutscenes in the beginning, I think those are nice rewards. Do they keep coming at the same pace ?

tommib

you can't be serious. Drops on that boss made it hardly possible to react to some of it's attacks when he gets on fire. Very noticable heavy stutters all the way duting presence of elemental effects across all chapter and that's on top of already rather poor image quality. Like I said I love the game so I don't think this is how I wanna experience it. Not sure what's up with "banced" where the image is all blurry, "performance" looks much sharper. I haven't seen the DF clip yet but I will check it out if it's not spoiler heavy
I switched to quality during that boss fight because performance and balanced were tanking with the fire effects. Quality holds up better there, go figure, for input lag.

Playing it on Quality now and can’t go back to any of the other low res modes. Image quality is too precious for this game.

Holdfing

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

You have played Souls games, right?

Havent encountered archers fucking you up while you cross a narrow place? Or an enemy hidden behind a wall to throw you off the cliff?

None?
Anor Londo archers were shit then, and these ones are shit now. And the ranged counter mechanic is shit and drops you off the ledge. And the level is the worst in the game (so far).
On chapter 5 now, hopefully they don't throw in another ugly, annoying level.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just finished chapter 2, taking my sweet time with this game. So far I'm loving it, even if it's a bit on the easy side.

The rock parry is great, love that CLANK sound.

Exentryk

I'm still in chapter 2 as I don't get much time to play, but really enjoying every minute of exploration and ensuring I complete everything possible in a chapter before moving on. Love the various secrets in each map.

Just got a cool new spell, so can't wait to play with that more.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
All these people crying about a certain area in ch. 3, it's my favourite zone in the game thus far, just started ch. 5 😂 Overall though I'd say ch. 4 has been the best, huge variation in environments, dripping with atmosphere, some of the wildest boss battles yet. Wukong is the gift that keeps on giving, Praise the Monkey 🐒🐒🐒

Top Bottom