• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Jedi0608

I hate to be that guy since this game is unbelievably fun, but the frame generation trash on ps5 performance mode IS noticeable. Input lag is absolutely a thing here which sucks when you need to be precise with dodges in a game like this. It’s the only thing from me giving this game a 10. I love souls games. I’ve plat’d all of them.

The most important thing of souls games are perfect dodges and parries and when you KNOW you did that shit correctly but still got hit, it is beyond frustrating. I guarantee you those only playing on ps5, you’d notice a massive difference playing on a beefier PC. Still, this game is special and I’m really glad we’ve got it. Kudos to the devs, just hope they clean it up a bit.

finalflame

I hate to be that guy since this game is unbelievably fun, but the frame generation trash on ps5 performance mode IS noticeable. Input lag is absolutely a thing here which sucks when you need to be precise with dodges in a game like this. It’s the only thing from me giving this game a 10. I love souls games. I’ve plat’d all of them.

The most important thing of souls games are perfect dodges and parries and when you KNOW you did that shit correctly but still got hit, it is beyond frustrating. I guarantee you those only playing on ps5, you’d notice a massive difference playing on a beefier PC. Still, this game is special and I’m really glad we’ve got it. Kudos to the devs, just hope they clean it up a bit.
Kinda confirms my stance that I will wait until I have a PC again to get on the train. Will also be a good time to replay FFXVI at decent performance and tackle the DLC..

I keep running out of mana. If there a way to Regen it?
In Chapter 3 and you get a couple of items that regenerate it but other that no.

It's a big problem with the game.If you run out of mana your left with just your basic combos and triangle attacks which by themselves are nowhere near deep or complex enough be interesting.

It should of been like Hollow Knight where you can regenerate mana by killing basic enemies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Your bro in Chapter 3 is one of my fav companions in awhile
Kept giving me Demon Slayer / Inosuke vibes

pOwO0PM.gif

I kept expecting him to take his face off lol

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I like playing in the mud every once in a while.... literally 3 hits away from beating him my first attempt lol. Oh well, attempt number two coming up.

Jedi0608

Kinda confirms my stance that I will wait until I have a PC again to get on the train. Will also be a good time to replay FFXVI at decent performance and tackle the DLC..
Yeah it was hard to articulate that I knew something was off until I went to my brothers house and played on his 4080. It was a night and day difference. So now I’m over here deciding whether to continue on with ps5, wait for ps5 pro or the 5090 lol. I’m a sucker for these games but it’ll definitely be a better experience on beefier hardware.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Let's make one thing clear, alright? I'm not saying what I'm saying cuz I can't handle the game which is too difficult. Wukong is not even difficult, dodge windows and attacks are well readable and you need to be a complete moron to not handle such simple stuff when the game is so generous. I've no problems with enemies as well, I've problems with terrible combat systems, bs interruptions, misses within 1 cm from a boss and everything else I've mentioned. Combat in Wukong makes fighting anything in the game extremely repetitive and samey af no matter which enemy it is, cuz you only have the same 6 hit combo with the same strong attacks and tricks which don't change at all and I again, I just don't see why would you use spirits and stuff against regular enemies since they're not that hard to take down at least in the first two chapters. Maybe spirits will be a much better tool in later chapters but again, it doesn't matter since they're just basic tricks and not the main combat loop which is extremely simple and repetitive.

I've seen what each skiil does and I just can't see myself using anything other than the first stance and it doesn't make combat system any more complex and fun, it's just a few moves (which are all situational) and nothing else while each stance in Nioh had 3 positions which very specific uses for specific enemy types in the game, while in Wukong you can do just fine with the first stance. Like, why would I waste my time standing on the staff afway from enemies when I can attack them directly and kill them faster? The third tree is even more of a joke tbh. Even if other stances have other finishing moves, what difference does it make if everything else is so basic and repetitive? Why focus on just one stupid stuff and nothing else? Can you imagine any Souls game where you can only use spear and nothing else? Sekiro was focused on just one main weapon but its combat is much more fun, more enjoyable, gets more complex with gadgets and never gets old.

How can you fuckin's suck in as super simple and basic game like this with so surface level combat FFS?! Stop with this bs if you don't have anything constructive and meaningful to say. I'm only telling here what I've experienced with the game on multiple occasions and so much so that it simply can't be a me thing.

There's a very high chance I'll drop this pos cuz of already mentioned issues, I just can't see myself dealing with such astounding incompetence from people who don't know shit about how to make character action games right, more complex, better designed and more fair in terms of combat and its fundamentals. I can play more but I just can't see how it can be any better in terms of the issues I have with the game. I can understand if one boss was badly designed with bs interruptions, idiotic hit boxes and stuff, but when it's more than one then it's definitely something with the game, how it was designed and not a me thing. Even if they'll fix hit boxes, BS interuptions of strong attack and spells, speed up animations and make strong hits instant after a button press etc., it still won't change the fact that the combat is extremely basic and completely lack much needed complexity and satisfying gameplay loop.

See, the reason I even compare Wukong to Bayonetta for example is cuz dodge mechanic is just as essential to the combat as is in Wukong and yet Bayonetta is much more fun cuz it uses dodge mechanic not as a stupid defensive tool which is no match to a much more satisfying and better parry and attack deflection system, but as an integral part of the combat to emphasise dealing damage and kill enemies faster with variety of moves, finishers etc. to make the combat loop fun, varied and complex at the same time. Wukong devs use it as a not as integral part of the combat, but as the only option to defend yourself from enemies which is complete BS in a game like this and they can fix it easily IF they'll make deflection spell as a basic move you can do to deflect enemy attacks and emphasise aggressive play instead of clown and coward like bs stuff you do in combat dodging away for enemies after just a few hits cuz you can't do anything else do defend yourself and quickly counter enemies without wasting times getting back to them, making a few cheap af hits and so on until the fight ends. It's extremely boring, completely unsatisfying and tedious and removes all the fun from combat cuz most of the time you just dodge stuff wasting stamina and you simply can't not use dodge cuz it is the only option to avoid enemy attacks and the second staff tree is a joke.

Souls games are also not that complex when it comes to combat even with Ashes of War and such, but in these games you can make your weapons stronger and hit harder while in Wukong it just bs cheap hits with bs damage everytime after new weapong craftig and you can't even increas you damage via crafting like you can with all other stats (HP, Stamina, Mana etc.) which is just pure BS as well and clearly shows that making basic combat loop fun and complex wasn't even in their plans or something the can do at all, they focus to much on useless fluff instead of making the basic fundamentals of the combat to be complex, more fun and enjoyable. How can some people can see this is beyond my understanding. It makes bossfight even more boring and a complete chore just cuz of how poor you are at dealing damage, just how much time it takes to take down bosses and just how basic the combat it. There's nothing worse and more boring than long boss fight with such a bad combat system like in Wukong and with such a poor and BS damage you do to bosses. All of this is completely intentional and made on purpose like this by bs design cuz the fights are not even hard, but what makes then hard or more like boring and tideous, is just how much time you need to waste killing bosses cuz of how little damage you do to them. I swear I could kill all the bosses I killed so far much faster and with no sweat at all if it werent for bs damage you do to them.
Honestly, I don't know what to tell you, my man. I just fought Non-Able, a mini-boss martial artist in Chapter 3. His first phase has him with his hands tied behind his back and he attacks with a flurry of kicks, headbutts, and breakdance-like moves. Once you deplete his health bar, he frees his hands, becomes faster and more aggressive, and starts using more complex barrages of kicks, punches, flips, that now have an exploding Ki effect a lot of the time. To beat him, I selected the gourd that recovers mana as well as health, I selected Ashen Dust as a transformation, Pluck of Many for the Alteration, and Immobilize for Mysticism. I started the fight by using Thrust Stance when I gained focus to keep him at bay and immobilize him whenever I had the chance. When he reached his much faster and harder second phase, I immobilized him at the start, summoned the clones, and let them keep him busy while I charged level 3 attacks and staggered him. Once he was done with them, I transformed and built up the fire meter and used the scorching attack and perfect dodge to build up the meter. When the transformation was about to run out, I used the explosion attack to stagger and damage him and went back to my normal form. Used Rock Solid to parry him, a few perfect dodges, and then I finished him off. He killed me once.

I have no idea how you can say the combat has no depth or complexity. There is a boatload of tools at your disposal, a decent variety of combos with the staff stances, and a lot of shit you can do to customize your playstyle and approach the bosses in a way that you like. Hell, you can even combo your spirits into your attacks.

I guess the game just isn't for you.

Last edited:
Finished chapter 3 a bit of a rant on the combat.

It's okay but not great it feels designed for the bosses but not for wandering around the levels. Design wise it feels right in the middle between dark souls and God of war/dmc hack and slash with the weakness of both but neither of the strengths.

I've always said souls combat is basic but has massive variety. Each weapons move set is shallow but there's hundreds of them. If you get bored with one weapon use another not to mention all the other build variety options.

Black myth only has the staff, this would be fine if there was a super deep combo system but there isn't. You get 3 stances all the combos are super basic you got mash square, charge triangle, square triangle combo and that's about it!? That's where it compares really poorly to god of war, nioh etc not mention DMC and ninja gaiden. All those games have more than one weapon as well.

Yes you have the monkey abilities and transformations which are awesome. When you have all your abilities in a boss battle you feel like you have alot of options and it's much better. I feel the devs have balanced these abilities to the boss battles pretty well but poorly on everything else.

When your wandering around a level which is the majority of the game ( Any reviewer that called this game a Boss Rush is a fucking moron) your mana quickly depletes and your 2 transformations take a while to recover. So your left or encouraged to just use your basic staff combos and that's a big problem.

I really think the devs should have made the basic enemies drop mana like in Hollow Knight. That way they would have kept difficulty balanced for the bosses and made the combat more interesting for everything else.

Shame because the other stuff is really good. The enemy design is incredible and the level design is closest to dark souls outside of dark souls.

It's good but it could have been great.

Gideon

Man, the more I play the more I enjoy combat, it started out ok but now it's so good especially after I got a certain staff that adds new elements to the combat.

Spoiler not working?

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Personally I like the combat. Its also about casts, spirits and morphs. You can do basic staff attacks, but there are much more tools than that. Its not unlike many action RPG where you save your meter for the tougher enemies and bosses. Trash mob is just that, they can sometimes surprise or gank you but overall you'll be able to beat them with your basic attacks. I mostly hate the range and the fact you have to spend points in it to make it useful.

Overall I prefer this combat to Stellar Blade. That game had useless unsafe combos that did pathetic damage even on a lot of trash mob. It was a matter of spamming the beta skills. Every single battle played out the same. In Wukong at least there are some options, elemental defenses and attacks and you can do damage with your combos as well.

NeoLed

Dude, I like everything else in the game, the art and art design in incredinle, the setting is great, the characters are great, the enemy variety is exceptional and I'm only in the Chapter 2. How can you fuck this all up and fail so hard at combat? It's unbelievable.

How can a more complex, more varied and more fun combat system be terrible in a game like this? It's a blessing, not a curse.
Smash and Thrust stance have parry as a Varied Combo. You need to learn it. Try to explore the game system more before complaining or judging it

Personally I like the combat. Its also about casts, spirits and morphs. You can do basic staff attacks, but there are much more tools than that. Its not unlike many action RPG where you save your meter for the tougher enemies and bosses. Trash mob is just that, they can sometimes surprise or gank you but overall you'll be able to beat them with your basic attacks. I mostly hate the range and the fact you have to spend points in it to make it useful.

Overall I prefer this combat to Stellar Blade. That game had useless unsafe combos that did pathetic damage even on a lot of trash mob. It was a matter of spamming the beta skills. Every single battle played out the same. In Wukong at least there are some options, elemental defenses and attacks and you can do damage with your combos as well.
I really think the game would benefit from being able regenerate mana as a core mechanic. It's not even question of difficulty as the games pretty easy as it is. Most of the time I'm brainlessly mashing without any issue.

It would be cool to use my abilities more liberally on trash mobs. That's how you experiment and practice in a risk free manner.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
If someone can answer please. Can I return back to older chapters for options bosses or side-quests? I am finding some optional bosses extremely tough in chapter 2 and would like to return once I've leveled up by progressing in chapter 3.
Can I return or all side content is locked once I go to the next chapter?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If someone can answer please. Can I return back to older chapters for options bosses or side-quests? I am finding some optional bosses extremely tough in chapter 2 and would like to return once I've leveled up by progressing in chapter 3.
Yes you can go back to any shrine you've previously visited - even if it's in another chapter or zone.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just finished chapter 2 and how this game didn't get 10s across the board is beyond me. This is peak gaming. I feel transported to this amazing world the devs have created. Hats off. If it remains at this level till the end, might become my top 3 of all time.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That’s what I’m doing. Going back to do old stuff. I fought a handful of bosses I missed, which triggered cutscenes, and I got the reward. Plus you’ll backtrack to upgrade flasks and stats in two different chapters.

jshackles

HA I love it, seems to be an actual bug / glitch and several commenters said they were able to repeat it even on the PS5 version

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The game is magnificent, but could use some updates on PS5: native VRR support at 120hz, 40 fps lock, option to decrease sharpening filter.
Yeah, the performance on consoles seems a bit dicey with the strange decision they took in the different modes. Runs great on PC aside from the mild occasional traversal stutter that thankfully never happens during fights.

I cannot stress how amazed I am by the sheer variety of bosses and enemies in this game. It's simply incredible. Boss rush, my ass. Been spending the last 3 hours just finding secrets in Chapter 3 and only faced 2-3 bosses.

NeoLed

Just finished chapter 2 and how this game didn't get 10s across the board is beyond me. This is peak gaming. I feel transported to this amazing world the devs have created. Hats off. If it remains at this level till the end, might become my top 3 of all time.
Perfornance is tanking the score. I can't say I have a 10 performance when the game do frame skipping in battle. Like I'm in fighting enemies and the frame freeze for 0.3 s while the game actually still running making enemies have free attack to me

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yeah, the performance on consoles seems a bit dicey with the strange decision they took in the different modes. Runs great on PC aside from the mild occasional traversal stutter that thankfully never happens during fights.

I cannot stress how amazed I am by the sheer variety of bosses and enemies in this game. It's simply incredible. Boss rush, my ass. Been spending the last 3 hours just finding secrets in Chapter 3 and only faced 2-3 bosses.

2-3 😂😂😂😂

The sheer amount but they’re paced so well between

Impeccable design

SkylineRKR

Smash and Thrust stance have parry as a Varied Combo. You need to learn it. Try to explore the game system more before complaining or judging it

Yes what you want to do is start a light attack combo with Square, and then during the light attack animation press heavy/triangle with at least one focus point ready.

I think many people don't fully understand all of its mechanics, myself included. But you actually want to do a combo ender when the enemy is also launching an attack. This will cancel the enemy out and nullify any damage done to you. The ingame explanation on this is kinda weird, but its the See Through mechanic.

If you have the skills unlocked that reward focus for heavy attacks you can do Skyfall Strike even when you start the combo with just 1 focus point I think.

Last edited:
Jesus the boss fights get more and more Insane!

Those of you still on Chapter 2 you have no idea.

Honestly I don't understand how this game exists there's so much variety and it's so polished.

Is it UNREAL 5 streamlining development?

Braag

Done with chapter 4 and all the side content. Dunno how I got through that since most spiders in games send a chill down my spine.
Oh and fuck Yellow Loong, hardest boss thus far for me, but finally beat him. I have a feeling the devs made the Loong family bosses to be fought late game.

Anyone in CH4:
I highly recommend doing the side quest that gets you to the secret area in CH4 and doing the side quest there. Just like in CH1 and CH2, you get an item that makes the final boss of the chapter a lot easier.

Top Bottom