• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

NeoLed

Found the first boss fight that sucks complete ass.

Yellow Wind Sage

Literally couldn’t hit him because I immobilized him past an invisible wall. Then there’s the visual clutter with all the sand. About 15 bosses in and can say this is the first genuinely un-fun fight. Any tips for this guy?
Finish the boar sidequest in the chapter to get an item that can disperse the sand

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
So he has 4 phases basically since you need to break his guard 4 times and after each time he starts doing crazier moves. The challenge comes in breaking the guard.

Plantain Fan which you get in chapter 5 that summons a tornado. It will keep him stunlocked long enough that you can break his guard.
Azure Dust transformation which turns you into the slumbering rock golem.
He completely disengages during that transformation and doesn't attack (this transformation prefers to be damaged to build up the meter). You can corner him with the normal attack until his guard breaks.

So I used the transformation to break his 1st guard.
His 2nd guard I broke just fighting him the traditional way.
For his 3rd guard I used the plantain fan.
And for his 4th guard my transformation was off cooldown so I used that again.

The fight has a second part too which is quite easy cause it's just a big spectacle.

Also funnily enough, if you transform into Yin Tiger, he will mock you and force you out of the transformation.
Thanks homie

GooseMan69

As I get deeper into the game, it seems to be developing Elden Ring syndrome, where every boss fight devolves into a spam fest between the boss and I. I try to melt their health bars as fast as I can and just tank hits because I don’t feel like sitting there for 3 hours learning their patterns. This is fun in its own way but it gets tiresome.

Before the git gud crowd comes at me, I am not stuck. I beat most bosses in a reasonable amount of time. In fact, I have absolutely melted a number of bosses on the first attempt. What gets tiring are these assholes who swing around the arena like spastic idiots the ENTIRE TIME.

The Tiger Vanguard fight struck a really nice balance for me. He hits like a truck, but he’ll back the fuck up for a couple seconds. It gives the fight room to breath. That’s key for me. I have no time to enjoy the spectacle of a fight when the boss is having a seizure the entire fucking fight. More fights like the Tiger and the white whatever guy in the lake in chapter 1. Those feel like well choreographed dances, not spam fests.

Still enjoying the game. I just need to play in shorter spurts now. The same thing happened toward the end of my Elden Ring playthriugh.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
As I get deeper into the game, it seems to be developing Elden Ring syndrome, where every boss fight devolves into a spam fest between the boss and I. I try to melt their health bars as fast as I can and just tank hits because I don’t feel like sitting there for 3 hours learning their patterns. This is fun in its own way but it gets tiresome.

Before the git gud crowd comes at me, I am not stuck. I beat most bosses in a reasonable amount of time. In fact, I have absolutely melted a number of bosses on the first attempt. What gets tiring are these assholes who swing around the arena like spastic idiots the ENTIRE TIME.

The Tiger Vanguard fight struck a really nice balance for me. He hits like a truck, but he’ll back the fuck up for a couple seconds. It gives the fight room to breath. That’s key for me. I have no time to enjoy the spectacle of a fight when the boss is having a seizure the entire fucking fight. More fights like the Tiger and the white whatever guy in the lake in chapter 1. Those feel like well choreographed dances, not spam fests.

Still enjoying the game. I just need to play in shorter spurts now. The same thing happened toward the end of my Elden Ring playthriugh.
Huh? I find the Tiger Vanguard is the most Elden Ring-like boss. When he’s near death, he goes crazy and won’t stop attacking. He’s one of the most challenging bosses up until the end of Chapter 4. I find only a handful of bosses are like him.

Edit: Never mind, I thought you meant Yin Tiger lol.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Ch. 5 done, shortest and weakest chapter thus far though I liked a couple of the NPC's here. Smoked the final boss of the chapter, guess I'm nearing the end now 👌

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That boss is just fucking annoying to hit, not really hard.
Yeah once I learned his moves a bit it wasn't all that bad.

Had much more trouble on the boss at the end of the prison, that thing that lowers your max health and spams lightning everywhere. An absolute cunt, plus I hated that whole area lol.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

That prison boss is another one with just too much health. He's boring. All you do is hack on his leg, eventually stun him and do some decent damage on its orb. Rinse and repeat. He has like 2 dangerous moves, the laser and the stomp that launches you in mid air which I think he pretty much only attemps when he wakes up again.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That prison boss is another one with just too much health. He's boring. All you do is hack on his leg, eventually stun him and do some decent damage on its orb. Rinse and repeat. He has like 2 dangerous moves, the laser and the stomp that launches you in mid air which I think he pretty much only attemps when he wakes up again.
It’s like an ode to bosses from the past, but I agree that it has more health than it really should.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Fffffffuck it! I'll be damned if I'll let some stupid monkey game make me quit while Sekiro didn't. I ain't fuckin' stop until I beat this BS game.

giphy.gif

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I am impressed that my PS5 didn't explode while playing this game. It was crying during FFXVI. Really well optimised like very well done.

SkylineRKR

Huh? I find the Tiger Vanguard is the most Elden Ring-like boss. When he’s near death, he goes crazy and won’t stop attacking. He’s one of the most challenging bosses up until the end of Chapter 4. I find only a handful of bosses are like him.

The Mad Tiger is menacing too, but I ended up beating him faster.

I stopped sleeping on Transformations, once you get the health down to 25%, you've kinda won the fight.

Last edited:

Gaiff

The Mad Tiger is menacing too, but I ended up beating him faster.

I stopped sleeing on Transformations, once you get the health down to 25%, you've kinda won the fight.
Yeah, I misread. I thought he meant Yin Tiger. Tiger Vanguard was decently challenging but Yin Tiger is far stronger and tougher lol.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Ch. 5 secret area boss down first attempt, SI in ch. 6 down first attempt, I'm on a steamrolling run. Also, something very cool in ch. 6, this is so good 💯

ahtlas7

Gold Member
Found the first boss fight that sucks complete ass.

Yellow Wind Sage

Literally couldn’t hit him because I immobilized him past an invisible wall. Then there’s the visual clutter with all the sand. About 15 bosses in and can say this is the first genuinely un-fun fight. Any tips for this guy?
I just beat him this morning after about 20 attempts. I back tracked and found some other bosses and areas I somehow skipped so make sure you have beat everything to level yourself.
Basically, my winning fight I didn’t use any buffs. Just stay close and avoid his attacks then counter but break off before he counters. Avoid his flying sand strikes and counter. Use distance when he’s behind that wall as it seemed pointless to attack. Don’t get in a hurry to strike and let him come to you. [/ISPOILER] maybe others have a better strategy but that’s how I beat the thing.

Yeah a lot of these bosses seem to have what I'm gonna call a" spaz out " phase.

You can't harm them in this phase you just have to dodge and wait, not particularly fun and very infuriating if you have just transformed or summoned your monkey bros.

Thankfully the damage is not as extreme as Elden Ring and you have more powers than the average Elden Ring build.

I watched a Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree review last night and Holy Christ this game has aged that games graphics back to the fucking stone age.

It's not just the graphics but animation, polish, scale and way less jank. FROM need to fucking up there game. No excuse now they are likely one of the richest developers now.

Also the bosses damage in that game seems absolutely retarded. Thank Christ I skipped it I got know time for that shit these days

GymWolf

Gold Member
I watched a Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree review last night and Holy Christ this game has aged that games graphics back to the fucking stone age.

It's not just the graphics but animation, polish, scale and way less jank. FROM need to fucking up there game. No excuse now they are likely one of the richest developers now.

Also the bosses damage in that game seems absolutely retarded. Thank Christ I skipped it I got know time for that shit these days
The defence for fromsoft having shit production values has been some bullshit for a while, they stopped being a poor dev team long time ago, but after wukong they literally have no more excuses.

The game has a truckload of content, play like a dream and look incredible, with a far smaller budget than the last 1-2 from games.

And it's honestly the same for nintendo, but at least they have the excuse to make games on a shitty tablet.

gatti-man

The game has turned full-blown Soulsborne with the usual annoyances. Enemies are becoming insanely tanky, they deal fast and long combos with small windows to counter-attack, and they have high poise and attack through your combos.

I loved the game until then, but now it has almost all the hallmarks of Souls games. It's really starting to piss me off when regular mobs deal a shitton of damage and take 5-6 full combos to go down.
What chapter? A lot of times this is the game telling you your tactics/build just need to change. For example the snow levels in ch3 are brutal without the right gear.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
So boys, serious question:
PS5 version - yay or nay ?
Maybe I should wait for the PS5 Pro ?

Edit : I just can't stand FSR artifacts, I found Alan Wake 2 to be friggin painful on the PS5 because of it

GooseMan69

They just nerfed that boss in the latest patch. Get to tell my grandkids I beat him pre nerf.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What chapter? A lot of times this is the game telling you your tactics/build just need to change. For example the snow levels in ch3 are brutal without the right gear.
It's the initial part of chap 3 forc a specific mechanic, but it only last for the first zone

But it never become as bullshit as some souls.

Enemy wise, Even when you have annoying enemies the way you start the fights in wukong always put you in a huge advantage, you pre-actively charge the heavy attack to liv 3 and run to them ready to get the first hit in that usually ko\stun them, then you do a light combo when they are getting up and then use the freeze skill to kill them if they are not done yet, this tactic work with 95% of tough normal enemies you fight in the game, it's extremely rare to have 2 tough enemies super close to each other, it's usually one hard enemy and a couple of smaller enemies or just a strong enemy.

I can see the problem if you use other stances but if you do, you are kinda handicapping yourself, smash is by far the best stance for 99% of the situations.

P.s. my build is all about raw attack damage so maybe people with other builds can't kill enemies as easily.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Chapter 3. Finished it, but some regular enemies are annoying as hell.

Blind Monks: Thankfully, they're blind and you can just kite them with thrust attacks. Now, they're not problem.

Double chakram monk: Annoying as shit. Lots of health, quick and deadly combos that last forever. Rock Solid and Immobilize for them.

Vulture Tengu: My most hated enemy. They annoy you with their giant fans and frost attacks, and they always seem to come with other enemies.

Tentacle Yaksha: This guy is just insanely tanky and often moves right in the middle of your combos.

I had to make more frequent use of my spells. I hate wasting mana on trash mobs, but a lot of these enemies give you no choice.

Did a good chunk of Chapter 4 and I'd say it's easier than 3 so far.

Last edited:

Holdfing

Done! Overall pretty good game. The level design was a bit disappointing. Fuck Pagoda Realm.
I guess I missed some secret end boss judging by the comments here, but that's what NG+ is for!

To be fair to ER, it's a cross-gen game.
Yes, Wukong seems to be way easier. Didn't count them, but it feels like bosses have more moves, but they don't hurt as much for the most part. ER is slower with chunkier damage. I prefer it tbh. Completed SotE 6 or 7 times, I don't see myself doing the same with Wukong.

Bond007

Edit : I just can't stand FSR artifacts, I found Alan Wake 2 to be friggin painful on the PS5 because of it

Im not a graphics whore or anything- just not something i complain about.
But i think on PS5- on both my 65 an 85inch TVs. This game makes me sort of gag. Its ugly in all 3 modes. I look forward to playing this with PRO and hopefully makes a difference.
I had to remove the motion blur on top of all this.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Chapter 3. Finished it, but some regular enemies are annoying as hell.

Blind Monks: Thankfully, they're blind and you can just kite them with thrust attacks. Now, they're not problem.

Double chakram monk: Annoying as shit. Lots of health, quick and deadly combos that last forever. Rock Solid and Immobilize for them.

Vulture Tengu: My most hated enemy. They annoy you with their giant fans and frost attacks, and they always seem to come with other enemies.

Tentacle Yaksha: This guy is just insanely tanky and often moves right in the middle of your combos.

I had to make more frequent use of my spells. I hate wasting mana on trash mobs, but a lot of these enemies give you no choice.

Did a good chunk of Chapter 4 and I'd say it's easier than 3 so far.
The blind monks were cool af tho.

I onestly hated the fucking flying pigs than most of the enemies on your list, i hate those little fuckers.

Last edited:

Gaiff

The blind monks were cool af tho.

I onestly hated fucking flying pigs than most of the enemies on your list, i hate those little fuckers.
Yeah, those little shits always show up at the worst possible times. I especially hate when they fly out of your combos.

The monks are cool but got a shitton of health. My favorite fight so far has been Non-Able. I ironically wish he had more health.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, those little shits always show up at the worst possible times. I especially hate when they fly out of your combos.

The monks are cool but got a shitton of health. My favorite fight so far has been Non-Able. I ironically wish he had more health.
Non able is the one in two phases that has his hands trapped at the beginning right?

Hugare

Leaving this here 'cause his content is always so good, and this one isnt different

Just beat the dragon lady and I'm at the top of the turtle on Chapter 3. Am I at the end of the chapter? Feels like I havent fought many bosses yet.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Holy shit! Just beat the final boss on my first attempt, no joke, heart beating like mad lol. Used up all my healing but had revive medicine primed, didn't end up needing it though. Intense and epic, need to digest the entire journey but for now I'll just say it's in my top 3 of 2024 against all odds and expectations, what a debut from Game Science 💯💯💯

jmiller180

Neo Member
A few bosses deep in Chapter 6. Have done most of the content thus far and have only had trouble with a few encounters (e.g. Yellow Loong). Enjoyed my time thus far, but don't think I'll be returning to it for NG+. Hard to put my finger on how I feel about the game, but at times this can be a slog, and other times it is an absolute joy.

SkylineRKR

Chapter 3 Pagoda wasn't so bad really. There is some bullshit with the catwalks but you have cloud step if you just want to run past (don't activate it on the beams itself lol, the dash killed me). There are quite a bit of shrines as well, and they're placed in a straightforward matter.

Holy shit! Just beat the final boss on my first attempt, no joke, heart beating like mad lol. Used up all my healing but had revive medicine primed, didn't end up needing it though. Intense and epic, need to digest the entire journey but for now I'll just say it's in my top 3 of 2024 against all odds and expectations, what a debut from Game Science 💯💯💯
You beat all 4 phases of Wukong first try? That's crazy good, you're better than 99% players. Did you fight the secret final boss before Wukong?

It looks incredible on Quality mode, if you can stand the 30-35 fps. I got used to it. If you really want 60 fps, I'd recommend waiting for the Pro because on performance mode you end up losing the best part of the game, which is the visuals/art/ambience.

Sooner

I heard this wasn't a Souls-like. What constitutes a Souls-like? Because it sure feels like one to me.

Also, what is up with the invisible walls in this game? They are everywhere and often at places it totally looks like you should be able to go.

That two different games with two completely different kind of target audience sold differently, this comparison seems both stupid and forced.

The comparison is about how these corporates thinks what gamers want against what we actually want. Target audience is 1:100000 it seems then.

Top Bottom