• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Toots

Gold Member
It's also from a channel with a stellar reputation about having EXCELLENT content about popular stories and great commentary on common tropes in narrative (the OSP playlist of "trope talks" should be a must for anyone interested in storytelling).
But I guess the guy doesn't like her "drone voice", whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean.
You know exactly what i mean (if you don't it's kind of sad, as with you responding uber seriously to my joke).
Let's agree to disagree, we have obviously different tastes (on par with the rest of the page).

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Damn that's a fine rig you got there...Weird that it stutter, have you tweaked a bit the settings?I mean I don't know how much you know about settings but is possible that there is at last 1 setting problematic.Like I know that framegen can totally fucked the framerate with Vsync, at least it did for me, somehow the benchmark activated both and it was horrendous.
Well damn. Turning Vsync off while using FG absolutely fixed the issue for me. Thank you!

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Well damn. Turning Vsync off while using FG absolutely fixed the issue for me. Thank you!
Bill Murray Drink GIF

Yeah honestly with your rig it was supposed to work great, the reason I believe is that framegen goes above the limitation of Vsync that's what makes it stutter.
I assume that you ran the game's benchmark and it automatically activated both Vsync and framegen, (exactly what happenned to me too).
As a rule of thumb if I were you I'd try to avoid having framegen and Vsync at the same time, maybe one day framegen and Vsync will work coherently together but it is not the case so far.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Bill Murray Drink GIF

Yeah honestly with your rig it was supposed to work great, the reason I believe is that framegen goes above the limitation of Vsync that's what makes it stutter.
I assume that you ran the game's benchmark and it automatically activated both Vsync and framegen, (exactly what happenned to me too).
As a rule of thumb if I were you I'd try to avoid having framegen and Vsync at the same time, maybe one day framegen and Vsync will work coherently together but it is not the case so far.
Vsync in game, because with nvidia vsync i never had problems keeping framegen on.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Vsync in game, because with nvidia vsync i never had problems keeping framegen on.
I have to admit, I almost never dwindle with the nvidia control panel, I stet it up when I install my computer until I get satisfying results then forget about it....Now that I think about it , maybe framegen + nvidia v sync is conflicting with game v sync..

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Do you have a GSync monitor? Usually what’s recommended is to turn on Vsync in the NVIDIA control panel and disable it in games. Lock your max fps slightly below your monitor’s refresh rate so it never hits it and you’re good.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have to admit, I almost never dwindle with the nvidia control panel, I stet it up when I install my computer until I get satisfying results then forget about it....Now that I think about it , maybe framegen + nvidia v sync is conflicting with game v sync..
I'm kinda of a noob but the gold rule for nvidia is usually to use their vsync with framegen\gsync.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm kinda of a noob but the gold rule for nvidia is usually to use their vsync with framegen\gsync.
Yep I checked and have nvidia's vsync activated, maybe D dEvAnGeL should check if he has it on too? If yes that may explain why there were stutters with framegen and the game vsync, at least it would be a common denominator between us.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yep I checked and have nvidia's vsync activated, maybe D dEvAnGeL should check if he has it on too? If yes that may explain why there were stutters with framegen and the game vsync, at least it would be a common denominator between us.
Btw, the game has some stutter no matter what you do, it is an internal problem, it can probably get worse with wrong settings but there is no perfectly stutter free wukong for now (but it is way less severe than most ue4-5 stuttering games)

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Btw, the game has some stutter no matter what you do, it is an internal problem, it can probably get worse with wrong settings but there is no perfectly stutter free wukong for now (but it is way less severe than most ue4-5 stuttering games)
I haven't played much but it seemed stutter free so far....Maybe it is more present later in the game?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I haven't played much but it seemed stutter free so far....Maybe it is more present later in the game?
No, it's always present but it's minimal and not super frequent, maybe you didn't even noticed.

There is none during combat, only during exploration.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Dude, just be happy if you can't notice it or if your game is miracoulsly uneffected :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Why looking for shit particles on your dick if you are already enjoying anal sex as it is?
(I know, i'm a modern poet)
queue reaction s GIF

I still want to know if the problem is me or my game.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
About the 2nd half of chapter 4...

Just came out of the hollow and I'm in a forest. Is it just me? Or this section waaay too bright? Like sometimes I can't see shit because of it.

Lock your max fps slightly below your monitor’s refresh rate so it never hits it and you’re good.
I'm also interested to learn more about this. How does this improve things? Wouldn't running the game at 58 or 59 frames per second make it stutter even more?

Last edited:

Gaiff

About the 2nd half of chapter 4...

Just came out of the hollow and I'm in a forest. Is it just me? Or this section waaay too bright? Like sometimes I can't see shit because of it.

I'm also interested to learn more about this. How does this improve things? Wouldn't running the game at 58 or 59 frames per second make it stutter even more?
It's to prevent your frame rate from exceeding your monitor's refresh rate which might introduce additional latency. It's generally recommended to cap the fps 3-4fps below the monitor's max refresh rate so you're guaranteed never to hit it. You could set it to -1 or -2fps but there are rare cases where variations will occur and the fps will still exceed the max value of your monitor's refresh rate.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's to prevent your frame rate from exceeding your monitor's refresh rate which might introduce additional latency. It's generally recommended to cap the fps 3-4fps below the monitor's max refresh rate so you're guaranteed never to hit it. You could set it to -1 or -2fps but there are rare cases where variations will occur and the fps will still exceed the max value of your monitor's refresh rate.
Are those cases produced by frame generation? Or should I be doing this for any game?

And thanks btw!

Gaiff

Are those cases produced by frame generation? Or should I be doing this for any game?

And thanks btw!
Not necessarily produced by frame generation. You can have frame gen on or off and if your GPU is fast enough and the game has no fps cap, you might still go above it.

You should do this for every game. The most important part is not to exceed your monitor's refresh rate. You can either use the in-game fps limiter or the one in NVIDIA/AMD's control panel to apply a global profile. You can also use something like RTSS.

Well, it's *meant* to be India, but for the little I remember when I read the book years ago, most of the places they travel through when the "journey" actually starts are fictional (or at least they are described as vaguely and with as much "artistic license" as if they were).

And yeah, buddhism being a core theme of the novel is a given, since the whole thing was just promotion for it, meant to criticize taoism and confucianism making both appear inadequate by contrast.
The west literally is India. While Journey to the West is a work of fantasy, it is based on the actual journey of the Chinese monk Xuanzang (602–664), who traveled to India in the 7th century in order to seek out Buddhist scriptures and bring them back to his country. He spent more than 15 years to complete the journey.

Sentenza

The west literally is India. While Journey to the West is a work of fantasy, it is based on the actual journey of the Chinese monk Xuanzang (602–664), who traveled to India in the 7th century in order to seek out Buddhist scriptures and bring them back to his country. He spent more than 15 years to complete the journey.
Did you read a single word of what I wrote?
I already conceded it's SUPPOSED TO BE a Journey toward India to recover some sacre scritupres (sutra), but for the way the book frames it, it may very well be an entirely separate fantasy world, since most of the places visited across said journey are filled with "artistic licenses" and fantastic concessions.
And keep in mind that I'm talking strictly about the geography here, because it shouldn't even be a debate that crossing some demon, monster, ghost or deity every twenty minutes or so wasn't exactly a reality of that time.

Last edited:
Did you read a single word of what I wrote?
I already conceded it's SUPPOSED TO BE a Journey toward India to recover some sacre scritupres (sutra), but for the way the book frames it, it may very well be an entirely separate fantasy world, since most of the places visited across said journey are filled with "artistic licenses" and fantastic concessions.
And keep in mind that I'm talking strictly about the geography here, because it shouldn't even be a debate that crossing some demon, monster, ghost or deity every twenty minutes or so wasn't exactly a reality of that time.
Of course, it is a fiction after all. This novel wrote in 1590, the author back then can't know everything about geography. I bet he doesn't even know name of every kingdom in China back then. He just made up everything based on the story of the monk.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Of course, it is a fiction after all. This novel wrote in 1950, the author back then can't know everything about geography. I bet he doesn't even know name of every place in China . He just made up everything based on the story of the monk.
?
The novel was written in China in the 16th century (1580-something, I think) and it's considered one of the cornerstones of Chinese literature.

What you are referring to is probably the first notable English translation (which may or may not be the basis of the Italian version i read 20 years ago, not really sure).

Last edited:
M
?
The novel was written in China in the 16th century and it's considered one of the cornerstones of Chinese literature.

What you are referring to is probably the first notable English translation (which may or may not be the basis of the Italian version i read 20 years ago, not really sure).
My mistake lmao. 1590*

Sentenza

Fun fact: there's a comic book version of this story (wel, a fraction of it) written and drawn by Milo Manara, an italian artist better known for his... erotic stuff.
it's titled "Lo Scimmiotto" which translates more or less as "The Little Monkey".

Here, a typical Manara work:

milo-manara-il-maestro-delleros-foto-copertina.jpg

EDIT- Apparently the official English title for Manara's "Lo Scimmiotto" is actually "The Ape".
And the writing is credited to Silverio Pisu, so Manara did "just" the drawing.

Last edited:
This game is awesome as hell. Makes you just want to keep playing and playing it. I'm currently finishing up Chapter 3 and going to go back to kill some bosses I missed in the previous chapters afterwards

Crack Meth WuBong
hsmoke.png

Gaiff

Uneven texture work aside, this is 100% a next-gen game. Just went back to Ghost of Tsushima and the difference in graphical quality is striking. Wukong is a massive leap.

Edit: Even compared to HFW on PC maxed out. The only thing holding back Wukong are the bugged textures.

Last edited:

Sooner

Just finished the true ending. Going to work on platinum.

Great game. It's not nearly as easy as I was lead to believe. At least a few boss fights, including both the normal and true ending respective boss fights.

It may not be Sekiro or Bloodborne, but it's far from a cake walk.

Gaiff

Just finished the true ending. Going to work on platinum.

Great game. It's not nearly as easy as I was lead to believe. At least a few boss fights, including both the normal and true ending respective boss fights.

It may not be Sekiro or Bloodborne, but it's far from a cake walk.
Did you fight the secret final boss?

hollams

Gold Member
Chapter 3 is huge!!!!! It keeps going and going.

I went back to chapter 2 and finally got the item that lets me know when I'm near secret bosses. In my fight the hidden shortcut didn't show and I didn't get the Wright transformation so I finally was able to open it up with the astral rock thing.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Up to chapter 5

The last boss of chapter 4, with the intro scene, is honestly one of the best game boss sequence I've seen in my life. The animation for all that chaos is TOP TIER. Never seen anything like it. It looked like a cutscene of S-tier quality while still being an interactive fight in an action game.

draliko

Chapter 3 is huge!!!!! It keeps going and going.

I went back to chapter 2 and finally got the item that lets me know when I'm near secret bosses. In my fight the hidden shortcut didn't show and I didn't get the Wright transformation so I finally was able to open it up with the astral rock thing.
Chap 3 is really huge, got lost plenty of time and still have to clear all the temple stuff... Just clearing the snow area outside was an achievement

Exentryk

Still in Chapter 3. The Pagoda segment was a little annoying with some tedium thrown in (narrow paths designed to make you fall wasting time). The forced nightmare mode was also annoying. This is probably where the game feels like Souls game because I equate Souls to tedium. So hopefully this stuff isn't used more in later chapters. The lightning dragon was also a little annoying to hit. Game definitely works better with more human sized enemies.

Outside of those few niggling things, the atmosphere and set pieces have been amazing. They've done a great job so far where you're always looking forward to what's next. Can't wait to play more this weekend.

DqY1Imk.jpg

E4EcpGw.jpg

tH0FPZ1.jpg

fAgG6N5.jpg

kk0Cmx2.jpg

SkylineRKR

So I was stuck at Duskveil. Until I just decided to fuck it and respec into pure melee with spellbinder. If you just want to win, this is it. The damage output is high and after enough losses you should've downloaded its moves. Took the chapter 4 boss down too.

Although I decided to respec to a Ring of Fire build after it. I don't know why I slept on this one, its stupidly OP. Inside it you are basically invincible, and no boss can dispel it. You can do level 4 charged pogo strikes from cloud step with it, you can attack with infinite stamina and your health barely depletes. I tested against Yin Tiger, which I beat quite easily, and he barely damaged me whenever RoF was up.

The problem with this game is you need to pick a lane. With jack of all trades the damage output is rather poor and bosses take a while. But if you go full spellbinder with crit, damage, Pillar etc maxed and a spirit+gear that raises these things you will dish out, even without pills.

Generally I see its mandatory to max your attacking stats at the very least, even without spellbinder yet you will dish out decent damage. Do this along with the combo after evade and resolute counterflow perks and you can win if you're half decent at evading.

Elios83

Finished! Final boss' last form was actually relatively easy using the pre-charged attacks at a distance.
Now the secret ending!

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Man, the final form of Yellowbrow might be the cheapest and worse designed boss I've ever seen in a game. Whomever thought this was a good idea needs to stay away from gaming permanently.

I think i never used the fire ring except once to solve a sidequest, the description sound so useless and unappeling to use :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Same, only used it for the Treasurehunter quest, but my guess is it would come in handy when you're getting overwhelmed by a boss and need some breathing air to heal, don't know if enemies can enter the ring...

RainyNguyen

Man, the final form of Yellowbrow might be the cheapest and worse designed boss I've ever seen in a game. Whomever thought this was a good idea needs to stay away from gaming permanently.
What's the problem with his final form? Use a "secrect spell" you learned before to beat him. I didnt use that spell but still could beat him on 1st try.

SkylineRKR

Same, only used it for the Treasurehunter quest, but my guess is it would come in handy when you're getting overwhelmed by a boss and need some breathing air to heal, don't know if enemies can enter the ring...

You can attack relentlessly from the ring. You barely take damage, you are in regen status, stamina is like infinite and you can charge level 4 pillar smashes from it, especially if you first activate cloud step outside of the ring. With a good crit build you can open any fight with an attack that does like 4k dmg.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Holy hell this game is addictive! I went from just starting chapter 3 before the weekend up to most of the way through chapter 5 by last night. Almost 20 hours of play, and I still want more!

I've been running a pure smash build coupled with the stasis ability and maxed out duplicates, with Ebon Flow as my transformation. Generally just wreck bosses, though there have been some tougher ones.

What an absolutely bad ass game.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Dude, just be happy if you can't notice it or if your game is miracoulsly uneffected :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Why looking for shit particles on your dick if you are already enjoying anal sex as it is?
(I know, i'm a modern poet)
You were right I did encounter some stutter but only 2 times in a 6 hours session and for 3 seconds max seems acceptable.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You can attack relentlessly from the ring. You barely take damage, you are in regen status, stamina is like infinite and you can charge level 4 pillar smashes from it, especially if you first activate cloud step outside of the ring. With a good crit build you can open any fight with an attack that does like 4k dmg.
I just don't understand how it work, how do you fight from a static position in a super mobile game where you move around and have to dodge multiple hits?

You just stay in the circle and nothing can knock you out and you can just spam to win and ignore attacks? Because i'm pretty sure that a singole dodge is enough to get out of the circle...

Last edited:
Top Bottom