• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

SkylineRKR

I just don't understand how it work, how do you fight from a static position in a super mobile game where you move around and have to dodge multiple hits?

You just stay in the circle and nothing can knock you out and you can just spam to win and ignore attacks? Because i'm pretty sure that a singole dodge is enough to get out of the circle...

There is a perk that allows you to leave the circle for a while and you don't lose the buffs. So you can spam outside of it, and reenter to reapply. I fought the Yin Tiger with it, his hits did almost nothing to my health so I just kept hammering at him.

The idea is to set it up, go invisible a bit outside of it so that the enemy doesn't attack into the ring. Then charge lvl 4 pillar for a devastating blow. And spam on in and around the ring, fight and evade until its cooldown is gone and recast.

This guy had a very good guide on it:

The great thing about this game is that respec is free and can be done at leisure.

GymWolf

Gold Member
There is a perk that allows you to leave the circle for a while and you don't lose the buffs. So you can spam outside of it, and reenter to reapply. I fought the Yin Tiger with it, his hits did almost nothing to my health so I just kept hammering at him.

The idea is to set it up, go invisible a bit outside of it so that the enemy doesn't attack into the ring. Then charge lvl 4 pillar for a devastating blow. And spam on in and around the ring, fight and evade until its cooldown is gone and recast.

This guy had a very good guide on it:

The great thing about this game is that respec is free and can be done at leisure.

Thanks for the explanation but yeah i don't really like to fight that way tbh.

But i'm kinda curious to try the skill that erase all the other skills and just amp the damage, did anyone tried it? Does it last enough time?

ungalo

It's really a shame the game doesn't have a hard mode (or is harder but i guess some people would not like it). NG+ was even easier.

You can't make such smooth patterns and barely show them because players just destroy some bosses in 45 seconds.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man I am in love with this game. I was bored playing through Chapter 3's forest and the big palace area, but then i got to the final boss of chapter 3 and decided to go and do all the side quests i might have missed.

apparently i missed everything. including one that started in chapter 2. Crazy stuff how much hidden content they have packed in every single chapter. I loved just following the guide and running into new bosses, secret areas and new quests. The weapon smith fight was brutal and its in such a beautiful area. I almost want to fight him again because it was such an awesome fight and i kinda cheesed it with my extra monkeys.

What a game. Just everything about it is top notch. it's so damn polished and fun to play. No frustrating deaths like souls. no fear of dying like souls. decent checkpoint systems. fun boss fights thanks to a wealth of offensive options. even the hard fights are fun.

SkylineRKR

Thanks for the explanation but yeah i don't really like to fight that way tbh.

But i'm kinda curious to try the skill that erase all the other skills and just amp the damage, did anyone tried it? Does it last enough time?

I read it lasts an hour. It locks you out of any spells. But if you spec all your points and equipments on damage, combo and crit and most important your maximum mana bar. And perhaps in combination with the Needle, you will wreck shop. Add soms pills perhaps for more boosts. Spellbinder damage is based on your mana stat, so the higher the more ridiculous.

You can't rely on immobilize etc, but it doesn't matter if you are half decent at evading and have enough Gourd. Bosses die far quicker anyway. Its perfect if you just want to use melee and don't bother with casts.

Spellbinder needs your full mana bar, but I read you can cast Pluck of Many and this together, by first summoning them and then use the gourd with the mana restore and the Turtle Tear curio until your mana is maxed out again, and then activate spellbinder. They reportedly get the same benefits as you and thus is supposed to be stupidly OP.

Last edited:
Finished this on Sunday was a bit burnt out by the end. The end boss and secret end boss were hard ended up googling strategies to get them done quick.

Overall 7 to 8 out of 10 is about right. My initial concerns about the combat remained true. No weapon variety and limited combat depth really started to hurt it towards the end.

Mashing Square to build up your Heavy attacks was interesting at first but was ultimately limiting in the end. In practice this results in Mashing square being 70% of the combat. All the other options being on timers or other resource management mechanics just emphasis this further. The long transformations were awesome they need to push these further in the next game.

The next game needs to decide if it's combat is dark souls or god of war. Being stuck in the middle it has the worst of both design ideas.

To be more positive the enemy, art and especially Boss Design was incredible. I think this game has the most varied and visually interesting boss design ever. It was worth playing just to see the next crazy enemy design.

Overall a great first effort.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Loved the fight against Yellow Loong. Quite challenging, had to request some help from the monke squad but I finally put him down after 10 tries or so.

Filling the focus gauge just by perfect-evading his long combos was cathartic, what a cool fight.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I am in chapter 5 and the bosses here are absolutely fantastic save for the copy paste fire miniboss. So far I say either chapter 2 or 3 are the weakest. They feel the most confusing while 4 and 5 are more straightforward in design.

I specced to a Spellbinder build and its too OP. I like however that you can be game breaking strong in this game if you desire so. At first it looks like you dish out pathetic damage, because you probably don't specialize in one skill tree. But even if you commit to the stamina tree, only take the damage and crit orbs from the survival tree, and fill out something like Smash stance you dish out good basic damage. Builds really make a difference in this game. If you max defense, ring of fire and appropriate gear, relics and spirits you can essentially face tank bosses. If you spec on four banes, wear the appropriate armor and soaks you can eat elements and statuses. And every chapter has its own dominant element. I begin to see why this game has such a liberal respec system. One day I like to parry all and spec to rock solid, another day I want to fuck around with a monke army. I love it. And don't forget relics, you can respec these too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d play another Black Myth game for sure. NG+ has been a lot of fun. Blasting through bosses on the first try has made the whole experience something special.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So far I say either chapter 2 or 3 are the weakest. They feel the most confusing while 4 and 5 are more straightforward in design.
Players generally consider them to be the two strongest chapters because of how wide and open-ended they are. Multiple branching paths and you can beat a lot of bosses in different order. Chapter 3 in the second half especially is like a mini-open world that’s well designed and with a ton of secrets. The one blemish I find is the confusing map that can be difficult to navigate due to all the visual clutter with all the trees, snow hills, and rock formations.

Last edited:

RainyNguyen

Players generally consider them to be the two strongest chapters because of how wide and open-ended they are. Multiple branching paths and you can beat a lot of bosses in different order. Chapter 3 in the second half especially is like a mini-open world but that’s well designed and with a ton of secret. The one blemish I find is the confusing map that can be difficult to navigate due to all the visual clutter with all the trees, snow hills, and rock formations.
Agree, I’m an explorer at heart, so chapters 2 and 3 are the parts I like the most. Although I sometimes get lost, I don’t feel too bothered by the lack of a mini map. Chapter 5 is the weakest.
Chap 2 > 3 > 4 >1 > 6 >5

Sentenza

My favorite are by far chapter 4 followed by 2 and then the rest, but I don't think any of them is particularly bad, to be clear.
Chapter 6 I'm not even sure if I should count as a "chapter". It feels more like your final victory lap, where you are left some room to fool a bit around before heading to the final boss.

Gaiff

Agree, I’m an explorer at heart, so chapters 2 and 3 are the parts I like the most. Although I sometimes get lost, I don’t feel too bothered by the lack of a mini map. Chapter 5 is the weakest.
Chap 2 > 3 > 4 >1 > 6 >5
We have almost the same order. I just flip 5 and 6 because 6 put me to sleep.

SkylineRKR

The lack of a minimap generally isn't a problem because shrines are at every chokepoint. Its a bit more cumbersome in 2 and 3, but nothing major. I would probably like those chapters more if I understood the skills etc earlier on.

A sequel would certainly get a bigger global push by the likes of Sony.

Exentryk

Will play more this weekend. Really struggling with time, but the game is always on my mind.

DLl1XcY.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Finally beat that fucking tiger. I recorded my battle. LMAO it was a double K.O but the computer said I won

What do you guys like better, Cloud Step or Rock Solid?

Also this game has equaled Sifu in terms of having the most satisfying dodge in a game

Last edited:

Gaiff

I didn't care about Cloud Step at first, but later on, it became a life saver. Usually, I find more utility in Rock Solid, but for very aggressive bosses, Cloud Step is better. It gives you time to pull back to heal and apply buffs. It was invaluable against the last two bosses who are a lot more difficult than the rest of the game, especially the secret final boss.

I didn't invest anything in Cloud Step though. The basic unupgraded skill is plenty good.

Sentenza

The lack of a minimap generally isn't a problem because shrines are at every chokepoint. Its a bit more cumbersome in 2 and 3, but nothing major. I would probably like those chapters more if I understood the skills etc earlier on.

A sequel would certainly get a bigger global push by the likes of Sony.
The lack of a minimap is a complete non issue for me. In fact, I prefer to NOT have one.
But I did miss the lack of world (or at least level) map for quick reference when you are looking at a checkpoint and choosing where to travel.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Finally beat that fucking tiger. I recorded my battle. LMAO it was a double K.O but the computer said I won

Also this game has equaled Sifu in terms of having the most satisfying dodge in a game
I haven't even used Rock Solid lol. Cloud Step is just so useful. Will give Rock Solid a go eventually though, but I don't think it will beat Cloud Step.

SkylineRKR

I haven't even used Rock Solid lol. Cloud Step is just so useful. Will give Rock Solid a go eventually though, but I don't think it will beat Cloud Step.
Cloud step is better, also for traversal. But Rock Solid is bad ass and very satisfying to pull off. And its on a very short cooldown and good mana economy giving you a window for a heal or retaliation and you can use it a lot esp with refund.

SlimySnake

Spell Binder is amazing. It completely changes the way i approach boss fights. No more cheesing it with monkeys and immobilize. I now go in with my stick and go toe to toe with each boss. I love the combat system now. Switched to the Spear attack set and it adds a completely new element to the game. I love how you can chain the triangle attacks into an awesome square attack move that just shreds enemies. Wish it worked as well on bosses but im not complaining.

There are so many ways to upgrade your critical damage and critical rate. I have weapons with high crit rate, spirits that boost my crit rate, churos, and now abilities. I am a killing machine just mowing through bosses without needing any special abilities.

Of course, i got stuck on yellow long but that seems to be an end game fight so i might just return to him later after finishing chapter 4. Not going to cheese it with pluck of many and immobilize just yet.

RainyNguyen

Rock Solid is a must-have skill for me. Trust me, if you want a satisfying parry experience like Sekiro, max out this skill. Combined with the armor I'm wearing, it will give you an extremely short cooldown, almost allowing you to use it continuously.

To replace Cloud Step, I use this Spirit (which can be obtained at the end of chapter 3). If you max it out, just a 4-hit light attack combo will reset the skill, and even better, if you use it for a perfect dodge, you'll become invisible for quite a long time, just like with Cloud Step.

With this setup, I'm extremely mobile in combat and can attack, dodge, parry continuously without stopping.
DH0ul7w.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
Spell Binder is amazing. It completely changes the way i approach boss fights. No more cheesing it with monkeys and immobilize. I now go in with my stick and go toe to toe with each boss. I love the combat system now. Switched to the Spear attack set and it adds a completely new element to the game. I love how you can chain the triangle attacks into an awesome square attack move that just shreds enemies. Wish it worked as well on bosses but im not complaining.

There are so many ways to upgrade your critical damage and critical rate. I have weapons with high crit rate, spirits that boost my crit rate, churos, and now abilities. I am a killing machine just mowing through bosses without needing any special abilities.

Of course, i got stuck on yellow long but that seems to be an end game fight so i might just return to him later after finishing chapter 4. Not going to cheese it with pluck of many and immobilize just yet.
SOLD!

I think i'm gonna try the spellbinder since i like to fight without using anything more than immobilize and just my attacks, i can get rid of immobilize if i get more attack in return.

Btw not being able to upgrade the weapons is grade A bullshit, this way you can't chose the right weapon for your playstyle or build because you get too low on damage.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Not end game. You can beat him as soon as you meet him. I recommend beating him right before the end of Chapter 4 as killing him gives you access to the best staff in the game until Chapter 6 and makes the final boss of Chapter 4 much easier.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Rock Solid is a must-have skill for me. Trust me, if you want a satisfying parry experience like Sekiro, max out this skill. Combined with the armor I'm wearing, it will give you an extremely short cooldown, almost allowing you to use it continuously.

To replace Cloud Step, I use this Spirit (which can be obtained at the end of chapter 3). If you max it out, just a 4-hit light attack combo will reset the skill, and even better, if you use it for a perfect dodge, you'll become invisible for quite a long time, just like with Cloud Step.

With this setup, I'm extremely mobile in combat and can attack, dodge, parry continuously without stopping.
DH0ul7w.png
Oh damn, is this obtained via main story or is it something I can miss?

SlimySnake

Chapter 4 bosses have to be some of the hardest in the game. I had to cheese them all with Pluck Of Many because spell binder just didnt do that much damage. yellow long, scorpion king, and the final boss were all awesome boss fights but man a bit too long. i feel like they couldve given you a little more attack damage to make these boss fights last around just 2 minutes instead of the 5-7 minutes they take in which there are many many chances for you to get stunlocked and die.

other than that, what a great fucking game. so many secrets. so much to do. whoever said this was a boss rush is a complete moron. this is by far the biggest game of its kind ive played. so much to explore and do other than just fighting bosses. i love that its not open world either.

Gaiff

Chapter 4 bosses have to be some of the hardest in the game. I had to cheese them all with Pluck Of Many because spell binder just didnt do that much damage. yellow long, scorpion king, and the final boss were all awesome boss fights but man a bit too long. i feel like they couldve given you a little more attack damage to make these boss fights last around just 2 minutes instead of the 5-7 minutes they take in which there are many many chances for you to get stunlocked and die.

other than that, what a great fucking game. so many secrets. so much to do. whoever said this was a boss rush is a complete moron. this is by far the biggest game of its kind ive played. so much to explore and do other than just fighting bosses. i love that its not open world either.
Did you craft the Golden Loong staff?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Done with chapter 5. This one felt a bit rushed imo, or maybe it's just that it's short length and faster pace gave me that impression. Still having a lot of fun, and that final boss was quite challenging, until I learned the moves.

Also, as an SMT fan, I'm loving the fact that many demons of those games appear here as either gods or yaokuais. Cool stuff.

Been rocking Rock Solid through the whole game. It's super useful not just to avoid damage but also to fill the focus bar, plus the CLANK sound is pure dopamine fuel.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Finished game tonight, that last battle was epic as fuck.

Then tried the secret end boss

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

So fucking hard. I think my build served me well so far, was using spell binder and all the crit dmg/chance I could. Managed to get me far... but this bastard...

ZehDon

Finally got a chance to come back to this, and I'm most of the way through Chapter 2. I think the Tiger Vanguard might be one of my favourite bosses in recent years. A great fight, very little bullshit, and terrific visuals. Coming from Shadow of the Erdtree, where they've taken the novel approach of throwing shit at you so you can't see the fight, it feels like a better approach to difficulty. Everything I want from a boss fight. Loving the more open nature from chapter 1 - game seems to go from strength to strength. Can't wait to play more! Also: the effect of running through the sand? I know we've seen it before for things like snow, but it'll never not be cool.

Exentryk

Getting close to the end of Chapter 3. It's been a long chapter, and probably feels longer than chapter 2 because of multiple maps. But it's been great none the less. Some nice secret and atmospheric zones with themed enemies and bosses. Having a great time!

fwYUkQr.jpg

SkylineRKR

I am at the final shrine. I also beat the hidden boss in the mountain, which is probably the hardest boss in the game. You can perfectly do this in your first playthrough. The spear is bad ass if you're into thrust stance gameplay.

Chapter 6 was... okay. I don't hate it. There are some obvious landmarks there. The chiefs scattered around only hand out mind cores it seems and seem to act as filler but you can ignore those.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Got to the white clad noble. Still getting accustomed to the combat. Strange to me that the one boss with the big head has been the hardest boss so far given that it was 2nd or 3rd boss I encountered.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Got to the white clad noble. Still getting accustomed to the combat. Strange to me that the one boss with the big head has been the hardest boss so far given that it was 2nd or 3rd boss I encountered.

The secret area bosses in this game are the some of the hardest ones imo.

Sentenza

U6feifs.jpeg

Was this masterpiece of totally-non-inflammatory game journalism already mentioned somewhere?
Here's another fun detail: here's the person who wrote that well-balanced article a full week after publishing it:

Keep in mind that the "female character" she(?) "finally crossed" here is not even mid-way through Act 3 (as soon as you reach the turtle).
In other words the previous article was demonstrably written without having experienced virtually anything about the game.

Exentryk

Finished chapter 3.
The end boss was pretty amazing. Loved the three stage fight and the miniaturisation was cool as hell. The animation at the end was pretty neat as well.
Overall, another great chapter.

KE6LBr0.jpg

8vXvqn2.jpg

9OQI3o6.jpg

8XVsRi1.jpg

PuYbA0R.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom