• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul Beta Thread: East Finally Meets West

So is there a cutoff date for the founder's pack? I just got a new pc, but I don't know if I will get BnS in time for the beta weekend in December (gonna have to prioritize getting other people Xmas gifts).

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
So is there a cutoff date for the founder's pack? I just got a new pc, but I don't know if I will get BnS in time for the beta weekend in December (gonna have to prioritize getting other people Xmas gifts).

I believe you have until head start to buy a founders pack. Head start begins on the 15th of January.

Haven't had a chance to play all day until now...

Are we still with Crimson? Looks like it.

We're still Crimson at this time.

So how do you switch between Pve and PvP builds? Do you have to pay to do that?

I don't believe there is an option to switch builds automatically. You just need to open up your talents page and reassign your points manually.

I believe you have until head start to buy a founders pack. Head start begins on the 15th of January.

We're still Crimson at this time.

I don't believe there is an option to switch builds automatically. You just need to open up your talents page and reassign your points manually.

Ok thanks.

I was thinking of trying Kung fu master, but that Ki Master looks even more interesting to me. I might play something else besides Kung Fu Master or Force Master, since the Ki Master sounds like it is a hybrid of the 2 classes. Even though I know it might play a lot different, might as well try something completely different before that releases. Might try assassin or summoner.

SDBurton

Ok thanks.

I was thinking of trying Kung fu master, but that Ki Master looks even more interesting to me. I might play something else besides Kung Fu Master or Force Master, since the Ki Master sounds like it is a hybrid of the 2 classes. Even though I know it might play a lot different, might as well try something completely different before that releases. Might try assassin or summoner.

No problem.

The Soul Fighter (Ki Master) probably won't be released for awhile so if you're interested in playing the KFM or FM I'd say go for it.

ShinMaruku

Having a rough time on my fm which means somewhere I messed up, so going on Assassin to build up my purse and fix my FM.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
After too much time on the character creator, I'm jumping in!

Ah, so Lyn don't have Blade Master as an available class. They have Blade Dancer. What's the difference between Blade Master and Blade Dancer?

Also, for some reason even when running in Fullscreen, my Windows 7 taskbar always remains visible above the game client. Is there a way to fix this?

Googling the problem determined that the "Fullscreen" option in the B&S cllient is actually a Borderless Windowed mode. I have to work around it by hitting Alt-Enter to make it truly Exclusive Fullscreen, which removes the Windows taskbar and also allows the game to render natively in 4K instead of scaling up a 1080p window.

Hilariously, this game forces you to pay for the $75 Founders Pack in order to reserve your name. The $25 pack doesn't include this option. Fuck off NCSOFT, I was actually thinking of giving you $25 but nah I'll just play for free if I can't even reserve my name with my twenty-five bucks.

edit: Well...hitting Alt-Enter makes it fullscreen but it still only seems to work in 1080p. I'm baffled as to how to make this game work in 4K resolution, I haven't seen an MMO client that fails to handle fullscreen properly in many many years. Somehow this game has been available for 5 years in Korea and nobody at NCSOFT has ever thought that Exclusive Fullscreen might be a useful thing to have in their client.

edit2: AHA~! Figured out how to make it render in 4K. I had to find the game Client.exe and right-click it and forcefully disable "Desktop Composition for High DPI Settings" to prevent Windows from trying to scale the resolution up from 1080p to fill a 4K frame since true Exclusive Fullscreen doesn't work. At least the game client properly scales it's UI to any arbitrary resolution, unlike for example the FFXIV client.

edit3: This English voice acting is kinda bad. It's also comical hearing people casually referring to people named Jinsoyun and Namsoyoo in badly acted English. Why doesn't NCSOFT just let me listen to the Korean voices instead, I'm getting flashbacks of the 'quality' voice work in Aion and Tera.

SDBurton

Googling the problem determined that the "Fullscreen" option in the B&S cllient is actually a Borderless Windowed mode. I have to work around it by hitting Alt-Enter to make it truly Exclusive Fullscreen, which removes the Windows taskbar and also allows the game to render natively in 4K instead of scaling up a 1080p window.

Hilariously, this game forces you to pay for the $75 Founders Pack in order to reserve your name. The $25 pack doesn't include this option. Fuck off NCSOFT, I was actually thinking of giving you $25 but nah I'll just play for free if I can't even reserve my name with my twenty-five bucks.

edit: Well...hitting Alt-Enter makes it fullscreen but it still only seems to work in 1080p. I'm baffled as to how to make this game work in 4K resolution, I haven't seen an MMO client that fails to handle fullscreen properly in many many years. Somehow this game has been available for 5 years in Korea and nobody at NCSOFT has ever thought that Exclusive Fullscreen might be a useful thing to have in their client.

edit2: AHA~! Figured out how to make it render in 4K. I had to find the game Client.exe and right-click it and forcefully disable "Desktop Composition for High DPI Settings" to prevent Windows from trying to scale the resolution up from 1080p to fill a 4K frame since true Exclusive Fullscreen doesn't work. At least the game client properly scales it's UI to any arbitrary resolution, unlike for example the FFXIV client.

edit3: This English voice acting is kinda bad. It's also comical hearing people casually referring to people named Jinsoyun and Namsoyoo in badly acted English. Why doesn't NCSOFT just let me listen to the Korean voices instead, I'm getting flashbacks of the 'quality' voice work in Aion and Tera.

This is pretty much par the course for any Korean MMO that gets localized here. The good news is that they're looking into the possibility of getting both the Korean and Japanese voices for the western client, so fingers crossed.

Edit: For anyone that still has extra keys that haven't been used, could you PM me or Madridista please? The one I gave them didn't work unfortunately. :(

Edit: For those joining us this CBT be sure to PM me in-game (name is Yuridaze) so I can friend you, gift you a Premium pack, and invite you to the GAF clan.

Was trying Blade Master out yesterday and ran across this guy.

7Ovo5kn.jpg

uJRa4ww.jpg

EDIT: How do you disable the HUD again?

Lucis

This is pretty much par the course for any Korean MMO that gets localized here. The good news is that they're looking into the possibility of getting both the Korean and Japanese voices for the western client, so fingers crossed.

Edit: For anyone that still has extra keys that haven't been used, could you PM me or Madridista please? The one I gave them didn't work unfortunately. :(

Edit: For those joining us this CBT be sure to PM me in-game (name is Yuridaze) so I can friend you, gift you a Premium pack, and invite you to the GAF clan.

btw, is there only one server in beta? i remember when i had to create the character, there was a choice at the end that had 3 choices, i choose the one started with J, is that the server choice?

SDBurton

btw, is there only one server in beta? i remember when i had to create the character, there was a choice at the end that had 3 choices, i choose the one started with J, is that the server choice?

I believe there are 3 servers: Mushin (the server we're on), Iksanun, and Jiwan. If you're not too high in level, switch to Mushin if you can. :)

SDBurton

Ah i see
does the beta progress gets reset?

Beta progress will reset when Head Start begins, which is on the 15th of January.

Heads up for Members: You're now able to invite people to the clan. Those of you who aren't with us yet post your character's name or send me a PM. :)

Beta progress will reset when Head Start begins, which is on the 15th of January.

Heads up for Members: You're now able to invite people to the clan. Those of you who aren't with us yet post your character's name or send me a PM. :)

My character's name is Throwing Shade.

CV_xgcxWEAEmXB5.png:large

Has anyone gotten the gamepad support to work properly? I enabled it in the camera controls, but the button prompts it was telling me to use for certain actions were completely wrong. I tried it with DS4Windows since I wasn't sure if it had DirectInput or not, but that seems to not work properly either.

SDBurton

My character's name is Throwing Shade.

CV_xgcxWEAEmXB5.png:large

Nice! Sent you a friend request. It'll be located at the bottom of your screen.

Has anyone gotten the gamepad support to work properly? I enabled it in the camera controls, but the button prompts it was telling me to use for certain actions were completely wrong. I tried it with DS4Windows since I wasn't sure if it had DirectInput or not, but that seems to not work properly either.

PM ShinMaruku, he's playing on a pad.

We're also on Discord if you want to chat with us.

Uzzy

Been playing this for the first time this weekend, and I've rather enjoyed it so far. I have a question though, is it worth buying any of the costumes on the store this weekend? I've read that the ncoins are being refunded after this weekend, so does that mean costumes will be returned too?

SDBurton

Been playing this for the first time this weekend, and I've rather enjoyed it so far. I have a question though, is it worth buying any of the costumes on the store this weekend? I've read that the ncoins are being refunded after this weekend, so does that mean costumes will be returned too?

If we're getting a refund on NCoins after this weekend then most likely the costumes we've purchased will be removed. I'm wondering why they're doing it after CBT4 and not CBT5 which begins next Friday. Interesting...

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I believe there are 3 servers: Mushin (the server we're on), Iksanun, and Jiwan. If you're not too high in level, switch to Mushin if you can. :)

Ah damn, me and my buddy played for like 3 hours yesterday on Iksasun. D: My character name is Jotamide if anyone wants to add me btw.

SDBurton

\(^▽^\) Heads up Blade & Soul GAF! (/^▽^)/

NCSoft said:
"There’s only one more Closed Beta test after this weekend, so if you already have an invite be sure to use what time is left to help us test, and plan out your first character for when Blade & Soul launches at 12:00am EST/5:00am UTC, January 19, 2016. If you don’t have an invite you can get access for the remaining Closed Beta time with a Founder’s Pack or by getting a key for Closed Beta 4 from Razer, this weekend’s partner."

Thanks for the PM.

Also I noticed it said Dec 10-22 when I registered the code. Did they change the timing so it's going to run throughout that entire time period?

You pointed this out earlier in the thread too! Good eye!

Looks like the keys we got for CBT4 also count for CBT5, which starts next friday!

Also!

NCSoft said:
"Purchasing a Founder’s Pack will give you access to the Head Start period, which opens 10:00am PST/6:00pm UTC January 15, 2016. Disciple and Master Pack purchasers will also get the ability to create their character in advance and reserve their character name (1 for Disciple, 2 for Master) during the Name Reservation period, which starts January 11, 2016. EU Servers will be taking reservations starting at 6:00pm UTC, while NA servers will begin taking name reservations at 6:00pm PST."

We finally got times for both Name Reservation and Head Start for both NA and EU. Plan accordingly so you'll be able to get the name you want before it gets swiped. :p

ShinMaruku

Ok folks time to tell ya how to set up your pad settings using this handy screen shot:
Firstly before you start up the game to not have any issues make sure your controller is connected.

Y8olU.jpg

Make sure you click gamepad mode when you start playing. Do not attempt outside of game like in the start screen your character must be in the server. Also leave feedback and let them know it could be done a bit better.

So it appears I have 2 different evade skills as Blade Dancer.

One of them has me press E and it moves me forward about 3 feet and also turns me around, I'm assuming this is the equivalent of backstab positioning. The other one has me press S twice and it moves me backward about 5 feet, a pretty typical back dodge skill.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to see the cooldown on these skills, because there's no obvious on screen prompt nor are these things on my skill bars so how the fuck am I supposed to know when I can use them again?

In general the game does an awful job of teaching you how to play, your trainer bro in the early game teaches some basic combos but that's about it. The rest I've had to basically figure out by messing around, like I didn't even know that pressing S twice was my back dodge and the game doesn't ever tell you anywhere, I figured it out completely by accident.

Soloing Pokey the Scorpion King and the Dust Mite King were pretty fun, arguably the only fun things I've done so far in the game. Levels 1-15 have been completely boring in this game other than the badass opening sequence and the conclusion of trainer bro's storyline.

Baalzebup

One of them has me press E and it moves me forward about 3 feet and also turns me around, I'm assuming this is the equivalent of backstab positioning. The other one has me press S twice and it moves me backward about 5 feet, a pretty typical back dodge skill.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to see the cooldown on these skills, because there's no obvious on screen prompt nor are these things on my skill bars so how the fuck am I supposed to know when I can use them again?

In general the game does an awful job of teaching you how to play, your trainer bro in the early game teaches some basic combos but that's about it. The rest I've had to basically figure out by messing around, like I didn't even know that pressing S twice was my back dodge and the game doesn't ever tell you anywhere, I figured it out completely by accident.

Soloing Pokey the Scorpion King and the Dust Mite King were pretty fun, arguably the only fun things I've done so far in the game. Levels 1-15 have been completely boring in this game other than the badass opening sequence and the conclusion of trainer bro's storyline.

Every single ability that doesn't appear on the 1-4, z-v etc hotkey bars have their cooldown icons on a separate bar. But this is something some basic observation would show you, if you would just.. observe a bit. You can move the cooldown bar where you like by customizing the UI. It is the one with grey borders.

SDBurton

Their cooldowns should appear on the center left of your screen as shown:

Not sure if it's different with BD but I don't see why it would be. Did you alter your UI settings by chance?

Have you opened up your Martial Tome tree (pressing 'K')? It gives a detailed listing of all the skills you will obtain through the course of the game leveling, as well as what key to press to perform the action and more importantly, requirements needed for that skill to activate.

Under the S section it should show you your backdash skill and how to activate it.

I'm gonna create a new character then. It was actually fun enough. Is the story interesting though? Is it worth it?

I'm enjoying the story so far. Typical revenge/honor scenario but enjoyable nonetheless.

Also on Blade Dancer Q is the same thing as E, except it counts as a different skill so you can alternate between the two and essentially cut the CD time in half.

Luminaire

Pretty fun so far, can't decide what class I want to use though. It seems every time I try one out, I'm torn on if I like it more than the previous. I also tend to see a ton of people who are the same class, making me wonder what the most popular one is / what people would actually need in a dungeon.

I agree that the tutorial leaves a bit to be desired. My Kung Fu Master does have a trainer who teaches more combos every two levels or so, which is nice, but really the hardest thing to figure out is the context of new skills. Pulling up the skill menu can show you the context if you read carefully but you still have to figure out the range and timing yourself.

Overall I think the Skillbook Menu is too cluttered. It would be better if the skills you haven't acquired yet weren't shown until you do acquire them. It serves no purpose to show them before then and if they were hidden it would be easier for the player to find the new skills they get when they level and not feel so intimidated by the sheer amount of skills in the book.

A lot of the other systems are rather poorly introduced as well. I have no idea what function the candyland-like mini game serves but hey, it gives me free stuff. Then there's the spinning wheels in some areas that also aren't explained well, but you need to spin in hopes of getting the proper weapons to upgrade your main weapon. There are far too many currencies and they overlap in some ways but not others.

But.. if you just stick with it, experiment a bit, and ask questions, you begin to figure these things out a bit and it's not as complicated as it seems at first.

SDBurton

Pretty fun so far, can't decide what class I want to use though. It seems every time I try one out, I'm torn on if I like it more than the previous. I also tend to see a ton of people who are the same class, making me wonder what the most popular one is / what people would actually need in a dungeon.

I would say the most popular class is Blade Master, followed by Assassin and Kung-Fu Master. BMs and KFMs are the tanking classes in the game (so they're always needed) but can also deal some out some impressive damage. Assassins are flashy as hell, and people that roll them tend to like them a lot.

A lot of the other systems are rather poorly introduced as well. I have no idea what function the candyland-like mini game serves but hey, it gives me free stuff. Then there's the spinning wheels in some areas that also aren't explained well, but you need to spin in hopes of getting the proper weapons to upgrade your main weapon. There are far too many currencies and they overlap in some ways but not others.

But.. if you just stick with it, experiment a bit, and ask questions, you begin to figure these things out a bit and it's not as complicated as it seems at first.

Thanks for bringing this up, I'll make a section in the OT explaining these a bit to provide some clarity on them.

Their cooldowns should appear on the center left of your screen as shown:

Not sure if it's different with BD but I don't see why it would be. Did you alter your UI settings by chance?

Crap. Yeah, I moved that bar away because it had this huge icon that indicated Premium Member status. Tera had something similar so I thought this was useless and hid the bar. I guess this means I get to look at that Premium Member icon for the rest of the beta right in the middle of my screen. But thanks for telling me about this. :(

Have you opened up your Martial Tome tree (pressing 'K')? It gives a detailed listing of all the skills you will obtain through the course of the game leveling, as well as what key to press to perform the action and more importantly, requirements needed for that skill to activate.

Under the S section it should show you your backdash skill and how to activate it.

Nope. Come to think of it, this is the first MMO I've played where the game doesn't have some kind of tutorial telling you about your skill tree and how to look at it and rebind your skills. I didn't even think about that until you just mentioned it. :(

I'm enjoying the story so far. Typical revenge/honor scenario but enjoyable nonetheless.

Apparently the people who have played the other region B&S and could read the story in Korean, Japanese, or Chinese have been in near-riot status about how much the story has been altered by the localization team to try and suit "Western" interests. It's not supposed to be this cheesy story which is like David Carradine's Kung Fu, but that's how it was presented in this localization.

If you remember your really bad 1990's official anime dubs you have the idea of how the story has been screwed up by the localization team. It's a good thing the game is F2P and the story isn't really that amazing anyways or I would get mad because NCSOFT is known for "localization by butcherization", anyone who played Aion might remember the same thing happened in that game.

This thread is both a fun and depressing read:
https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/for...n-discussion-with-english-localization/page-1

Also on Blade Dancer Q is the same thing as E, except it counts as a different skill so you can alternate between the two and essentially cut the CD time in half.

I didn't know this so thank you!

SDBurton

Crap. Yeah, I moved that bar away because it had this huge icon that indicated Premium Member status. Tera had something similar so I thought this was useless and hid the bar. I guess this means I get to look at that Premium Member icon for the rest of the beta right in the middle of my screen. But thanks for telling me about this. :(

No worries! :)

Nope. Come to think of it, this is the first MMO I've played where the game doesn't have some kind of tutorial telling you about your skill tree and how to look at it and rebind your skills. I didn't even think about that until you just mentioned it. :(

They do have that in the tutorial though! You might have rushed through it by chance but it was at this part:

lJXdJOc.jpg

You first pick up your Martial Tome from the bookshelf

eQib2PK.jpg

The Master then instructs you to open it

LAkZaWg.jpg

Which then brings up this screen. :D

Apparently the people who have played the other region B&S and could read the story in Korean, Japanese, or Chinese have been in near-riot status about how much the story has been altered by the localization team to try and suit "Western" interests. It's not supposed to be this cheesy story which is like David Carradine's Kung Fu, but that's how it was presented in this localization.

If you remember your really bad 1990's official anime dubs you have the idea of how the story has been screwed up by the localization team. It's a good thing the game is F2P and the story isn't really that amazing anyways or I would get mad because NCSOFT is known for "localization by butcherization", anyone who played Aion might remember the same thing happened in that game.

The only thing I've heard of so far was that they altered a side quest which admittedly, if they left it as it was, in our current climate, it wouldn't have turned out pretty. My main concern for this game and it localization was its costumes and the fear our version would turn out like China's. Since they not only left it intact, but showed their determination in staying true with Hyung-Tae Kim's vision, I'll give them a freebie with them messing with a side quest. :p

Chariot

They changed more. Including some important, very spoilery part of the main story. I wouldn't mind as much, but the dev responses are rubbing me the wrong way. They want to dix something that didn't need to be fixed.

SDBurton

They changed more. Including some important, very spoilery part of the main story. I wouldn't mind as much, but the dev responses are rubbing me the wrong way. They want to dix something that didn't need to be fixed.

Do you have a link? I would definitely like to hear about it if possible.

Top Bottom