• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Struggling a little with D
arkbeast Paarl
. I've gotten him down to less than half, but I'm not sure if I've got a good technique down. I've got a Level 8 Rifle Spear, a Level 7 Tonitrus, a Level 7 Hunters Axe and Level 6 Blades of Mercy.

My build is pretty much:

Vit - 15
End - 25
Str - 12
Skl - 25
Bloodtinge - 12
Arcane - 20

I'm roughly level 60 and should not be having this kind of trouble with this fight, but I can't knock this bastard down, even with my Hunters Axe. Can I parry his attacks? Is there a secret to beating this with a more Skill heavy build? If not, anyone want to help me beat him tonight? PSN ID: Phish09

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
arkbeast Paarl
. I've gotten him down to less than half, but I'm not sure if I've got a good technique down. I've got a Level 8 Rifle Spear, a Level 7 Tonitrus, a Level 7 Hunters Axe and Level 6 Blades of Mercy.

My build is pretty much:

Vit - 15
End - 25
Str - 12
Skl - 25
Bloodtinge - 12
Arcane - 20

I'm roughly level 60 and should not be having this kind of trouble with this fight, but I can't knock this bastard down, even with my Hunters Axe. Can I parry his attacks? Is there a secret to beating this with a more Skill heavy build? If not, anyone want to help me beat him tonight? PSN ID: Phish09
you can stagger and visceral him without parrying him; listen for the chime sound. I found it considerably easier to not lock on for this fight.

Nothing changes much "phase"-wise with him so if you've got him to less than half, you just need to keep at it til he falls. Tough beastie for sure, but I beat him around level 45 so it's definitely possible. If you do still want to level up a bit first, I'd say your VIT is just too low in general, it makes a big difference.

arkbeast Paarl

My build is pretty much:

Vit - 15
End - 25
Str - 12
Skl - 25
Bloodtinge - 12
Arcane - 20

Dont lock on him and try to be under him towards the back legs. Use a weapon that has a wide sweeping attack such as the Hunter Axe. You cant shoot him in the face and hoping to stun him :p instead you have to repeatedly hit a leg, after enough damage he will fall down. When this happens, his electric is gone and he will take more dmg (might be able to visceral attack but I never done it before). After a swipe or two, he will try to get away to power up again. Try to prevent that. When he does his AoE, either 2-3 back steps away or roll through his attack. Fire paper works well and if you have Henryk 's attire, wear it since it has the highest bolt resistances. If you are still having issues I can give you a hand.

edit: looking at your stats, your vitality is low. You have more skill so perhaps try using a skill weapon. Hunter Axe and Tonitrus scales with Strength more. Are you making an Arcane build?

UrbanRats

arkbeast Paarl

My build is pretty much:

Vit - 15
End - 25
Str - 12
Skl - 25
Bloodtinge - 12
Arcane - 20

Well first of all, Level doesn't mean much when your Vit is "only" 15. ;)

Also, why are you using Hunter Axe, isn't that a str weapon? Anyhow, my suggestion is keep
hitting her in the same leg and it tends to fall down (getting open for a visceral attack on her head) and you can pretty much lock her into a cycle like that, when she loses the lightning.
When she loses her thunder, she gets less aggressive and tries to run away to recharge the electricity, and that's where you want to just destroy her, don't let her breathe.

gunbo13

Beat NG+ yesterday with burial blade. Sick weapon, one of my favs. Thought I wouldn't play NG++ until I tried out my +10 uncanny blade of mercy...shit... Had some good moments in NG+. Gehrman was actually hard this time around, which was nice. I finished Eileen's quest too. Was a pain on NG+ getting that hunter down, so took a few tries cause of his viscerals. Everything else was pretty much the same and NG+ goes damn quick. A fraction of the challenge of chalice dungeons.

Fun taking down cleric beast with blade of mercy two-hand NG++. It's a barrage of slice and dice.

Indeed, I have done that place an awful lot of times by now. I'm lvl 133 and still in NG xD So it is gone? I'm looking in Lecture building as well right now but I cant see any stain there either.
Why not farm chalice dungeons, especially the werewolves/alien rooms? You get way more echoes in a shorter time.

Guess I should grind some souls for my VIT.

I was trying out Hunters Axe because I heard an AOE attack works well on it plus since it's not a trick weapon I can use Fire Paper. I was going for an Arcane build to start with then realized I have very few Arcane weapons, so started focusing more on Skill since my Rifle Spear scales well with it, but it also seems almost useless in this fight since it's R2 power attack relies pretty heavily on lock on. I think part of my problem is I do just lock on as soon as I get into the fight and I need to rid myself of that habit.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. I'm sure I'll kick his sorry ass tonight when I get home.

knitoe

I was trying out Hunters Axe because I heard an AOE attack works well on it plus since it's not a trick weapon I can use Fire Paper. I was going for an Arcane build to start with then realized I have very few Arcane weapons, so started focusing more on Skill since my Rifle Spear scales well with it, but it also seems almost useless in this fight since it's R2 power attack relies pretty heavily on lock on. I think part of my problem is I do just lock on as soon as I get into the fight and I need to rid myself of that habit.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. I'm sure I'll kick his sorry ass tonight when I get home.

Yes, get Vit up. On a new char, I always get it up to 30 first, using all my echoes. More life makes the game more easy. At those low lvls, you increase your damage more by upgrading your weapon than increasing primary stats.

What would be a good boss to help people out with the grind some souls at my level? Should I just go help people keep being the One Reborn for a while?

Ebolarama

Banned

If you have fire paper use that on your weapon too, as he's weak to fire. I haven't tried the Tonitrus on him, but I would imagine that would be useless as Darkbeast lives on electric (but I could be wrong as the Tonitrus seems to be known as the"boss slayer").

joecanada

Beat NG+ yesterday with burial blade. Sick weapon, one of my favs. Thought I wouldn't play NG++ until I tried out my +10 uncanny blade of mercy...shit... Had some good moments in NG+. Gehrman was actually hard this time around, which was nice. I finished Eileen's quest too. Was a pain on NG+ getting that hunter down, so took a few tries cause of his viscerals. Everything else was pretty much the same and NG+ goes damn quick. A fraction of the challenge of chalice dungeons.

Fun taking down cleric beast with blade of mercy two-hand NG++. It's a barrage of slice and dice.

Why not farm chalice dungeons, especially the werewolves/alien rooms? You get way more echoes in a shorter time.

Hey how did you like BB after moving onto BoM ? I have been trying to level BB but I just don't find it that good, for slow enemies BoM is so much better, for range I find the Riflespear much better, just lunge in and out.....

BB is weak for damage too, doesn't hold up to Ludwigs (which I don't use) trying to decide between whip and BB as my 3rd.... (BoM and RifleS are 1, 2)

joecanada

I only really use the BB for fun, especially since you get it way too late for it to be of any use on a fresh character.

ya I agree but its easy to level up for an NG+ run, or you could find other versions in chalice dungeons.... still I don't like it much, compared to at least 2, 3 other skill weapons.... its good for being surrounded but usually that isn't a good thing anyway....

myco666

Is there anyway to get more than 3 Blood Stone Chunks before Rom? Would like to get my Logarius Wheel to +8 or +9 before that but seems like I've found all that are avaible all ready.

edit. Aside from those Cainhurst Gargoyles.

Yes, get Vit up. On a new char, I always get it up to 30 first, using all my echoes. More life makes the game more easy. At those low lvls, you increase your damage more by upgrading your weapon than increasing primary stats.
This is really good advice. I focused on Vit more during the early stages of my second run and it made a world of difference. At times it can make the game feel too easy, to be honest.

Finally beat B
lood-starved Beast
in the Ailing Loran Chalice. That fight had me stumped for a good bit and I had no trouble on him in the regular game. Here is the video if anyone wants to see a non-that-skilled player take him out (and then subsequently die from poison after showing showing off after the fight, lol) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krHbmWWafBs

Now onto the Defiled Chalice that I've heard so much about. Any tips?

micolash
down first time ,not sure what to make of that fight, it was harder getting to him than fighting him,those fatties gave me real trouble for some reason.

Grexeno

So I've been leveling Vitality, Endurance, Strength and Skill equally so all are at 25. When should start leveling Vitality only?

Finally beat B
lood-starved Beast
in the Ailing Loran Chalice. That fight had me stumped for a good bit and I had no trouble on him in the regular game. Here is the video if anyone wants to see a non-that-skilled player take him out (and then subsequently die from poison after showing showing off after the fight, lol) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krHbmWWafBs
Man, that fight was intense! I am like you in that I often enjoy going for the parries against BSB but the safer tactic seems to be staying close and dodging left and around to get behind it. Either way, nicely done. I got really scared for you there at the end when you accidentally shot twice and lost out on your chance to end the fight with a visceral attack. Thankfully it worked out!

UrbanRats

So I've been leveling Vitality, Endurance, Strength and Skill equally so all are at 25. When should start leveling Vitality only?
I'm at 30 VIT and i'm feeling pretty good about it.
You can do the whole game like that pretty smoothly (don't know about Chalice).

Stamina though, i'm lower than that, i really did most of the game with 20, and never really felt like i needed more, i started raising it just 'cause i didn't feel like dumping points into anything else.
In DkS1 Endurance was the GO TO stat, but here doesn't feel as crucial, since dodges drain less, i think, plus no equip load!

I'm at 30 VIT and i'm feeling pretty good about it.
You can do the whole game like that pretty smoothly (don't know about Chalice).

Stamina though, i'm lower than that, i really did most of the game with 20, and never really felt like i needed more, i started raising it just 'cause i didn't feel like dumping points into anything else.
In DkS1 Endurance was the GO TO stat, but here doesn't feel as crucial, since dodges drain less, i think, plus no equip load!
Endurance is so much less important in BB than in the Souls games. It took me awhile to figure that out but it's definitely the case. The primary reason for me, even more so than the reasons you listed, is the lack of a shield in BB. You have to have a nice pool of stamina to absorb blows with your shield in the Souls games!

Vitality is so much more important than Endurance in BB, in my opinion.

gunbo13

I haven't seen or heard about any alien rooms in the dungeons :)
I think it is defiled chalice level 3 lamp. You can farm 100,000+ in a couple minutes.
Hey how did you like BB after moving onto BoM ? I have been trying to level BB but I just don't find it that good, for slow enemies BoM is so much better, for range I find the Riflespear much better, just lunge in and out.....

BB is weak for damage too, doesn't hold up to Ludwigs (which I don't use) trying to decide between whip and BB as my 3rd.... (BoM and RifleS are 1, 2)
I really only care at this point what is fun. BB is great for it's two-hand charge R2 alone. Basically everything, even some bosses, crumble at it. The rest of the two handed attacks are slow and have wonky hit-boxes. It's one-hand attacks though are solid. Fast enough to get mostly everyone and pack a decent bunch. Just get it to +10 with good runes; I was running +18/20/20% physical.

I also don't compare it to Ludwigs, which is the most boring weapon I've used. BoM are great because they are faster, making me feel like I'm playing a combo based action game. I'm playing almost exclusively two-hand unless I need parries, then I'll switch off. I also am done with the lunge or range stuff since I'm beyond the first play-through. So I'm not interested in playing the more "souls" way anymore, if that makes sense. Time to mix it up.

It will be interesting to see if I can handle all NG++ enemies with BoM.

squidyj

Did I just permanently lose 66k? :lol

I'm in Defiled level 2 and one of those Cainhurst spiders killed me. Can't see my bloodstain anywhere :/ Not that 66k is a whole lot, just half a level up, but still :)

I haven't seen it recently but I've dfefinitely had the issue where my bloodstain fails to appear, I run around, kill some stuff, go to a different area, return, and it's there where it's supposed to be.

UrbanRats

Endurance is so much less important in BB than in the Souls games. It took me awhile to figure that out but it's definitely the case. The primary reason for me, even more so than the reasons you listed, is the lack of a shield in BB. You have to have a nice pool of stamina to absorb blows with your shield in the Souls games!

That's a good point, though it's been a long while since i did a shield build in a Soul game, so i was already used to that use of stamina.
In DkS2 also i kept it at 20, but that's because that was the soft cap.

Korosenai

I feel like 50 or 45 vitality and 25 or 30 endurance is the way to go in this game. It just feels perfect.

That's a good point, though it's been a long while since i did a shield build in a Soul game, so i was already used to that use of stamina.
In DkS2 also i kept it at 20, but that's because that was the soft cap.
I was always the kind of Souls player who hid behind a shield so Bloodborne was a huge adjustment for me at first. Now that I've played it so much I really want to go back to DkS2 and try a no shield run, haha. I played DkS2 vanilla so I think it would be worth it for me to pick up SotFS sometime.

I feel like 50 or 45 vitality and 25 or 30 endurance is the way to go in this game. It just feels perfect.
Totally agree.

Vitality will always be the most important stat, but I think Endurance is a bit underrated as some weapons have huge stamina costs or benefit from continued sustained damage.

Vitality will always be the most important stat, but I think Endurance is a bit underrated as some weapons have huge stamina costs or benefit from continued sustained damage.
It definitely has its uses. I think it becomes a little more important in NG+ and on as well because enemies generally take more hits to go down. I found myself running out of stamina on R1 spams a lot more in NG+ than NG.

What stat/s does Saw Cleaver scale with? Just STR or just SKL? Or both?

Also, finally got the Black Church set! :D

Now I'm lvl 34, VIT 18, END 19, STR 17, SKL 13, Bloodtinge 8, Arcane 9. Thinking about trying BSB again, but not sure.

Just beat Henryk with Eileen as well. I've read that her quest becomes unavailable after entering the Forbidden Forest (or some other place). Is that true?

One more thing: is killing Oedon the Church guy worth killing for his rune?

Xeilyn

What stat/s does Saw Cleaver scale with? Just STR or just SKL? Or both?

Also, finally got the Black Church set! :D

Now I'm lvl 34, VIT 18, END 19, STR 17, SKL 13, Bloodtinge 8, Arcane 9. Thinking about trying BSB again, but not sure.

Just beat Henryk with Eileen as well. I've read that her quest becomes unavailable after entering the Forbidden Forest (or some other place). Is that true?
The Saw Cleaver gets C scaling in STR and D scaling in skill at +10

You're right on track with Eileens quest so you dont have to worry, if you do not help her with Henryk her questline will have a different ending. You can finish up her questlie after you defeat the boss thats in the area after the forbidden woods

UrbanRats

I was always the kind of Souls player who hid behind a shield so Bloodborne was a huge adjustment for me at first. Now that I've played it so much I really want to go back to DkS2 and try a no shield run, haha. I played DkS2 vanilla so I think it would be worth it for me to pick up SotFS sometime.
Just a head's up, DkS2 is probably the polar opposite of BB in terms of no shield builds.
Very few (fast) weapons stagger effectively, so you're going to have to re-train your brain to dodge no matter what, after a few hits, as the enemy is probably about to wreck you; whereas BB pushes you a bit into the R1 spamming tactic, since staggering is so easy (not a critique, just pointing out the two approaches).
I can tell you that, this and going from 60fps to 30fps (at 30 you basically have to predict much sooner when to dodge, whereas at 60, it can be more instinctive) were the biggest obstacles for me, in the first few hours of BB playing.

According to a wiki, at +10 it has C Strength scaling and D Skill scaling.

The Saw Cleaver gets C scaling in STR and D scaling in skill at +10

You're right on track with Eileens quest so you dont have to worry, if you do not help her with Henryk her questline will have a different ending. You can finish up her questlie after you defeat the boss thats in the area after the forbidden woods
Thanks, guys.

So is it true you can lose her quest if you go to a certain area?

Alo0oy

Banned
After hours of CD farming, I got my BoM to 558 attack rating, right now it hits like a truck, my quality build LHB only does 650 in comparison, & the speed of those weapons is not even comparable.

Auctopus

Is there anyone who can help me with ailing Loran abhorrent beast, please? Level 115.

Edit: nevermind, beat. Way harder than anything else in the main game.

joecanada

After hours of CD farming, I got my BoM to 558 attack rating, right now it hits like a truck, my quality build LHB only does 650 in comparison, & the speed of those weapons is not even comparable.

CD farming? tell me more!

I also enjoy +10 BoM and wrecking every pvp invader.

Top Bottom