• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Im making 2 new builds. A straight strength with the Hammer(thing is amazing in pvp, ive fallen in love with it) and a Skill build to try out the Scythe. Im dreading having to do dungeons again for good gems :'(

DrkSage

YES, GET REKT! IM SO FUCKING DONE WITH THE DOG!
african_celebration-118719.gif

Found a good strategy that worked wonders for me. Staying under his chin at all times made him do attacks that let me get behind him and on the sides always.

About the Mensis bell maiden, Gaf:

She doesn't revive once killed, does she?

And does that mean I can't be invaded when ringing the sinister bell, or does the bell allow you to be both the invader and invadee, regardless of whether she's dead?

Cheers!

About the Mensis bell maiden, Gaf:

She doesn't revive once killed, does she?

And does that mean I can't be invaded when ringing the sinister bell, or does the bell allow you to be both the invader and invadee, regardless of whether she's dead?

Cheers!

She doesn't naturally respawn. Ringing the bell does respawn her though unless you have already killed the boss.

Don Julio

Just noticed this game didn't get a score lower than a 9 on a 10 point scale or lower than 4 on a 5 point. Man that's wassup!!

Stat!

Just purchased Bloodborne. Never played Souls before. I hope its as hyped as its everyone is making it and its loads fun. Just hoping the non-linearity doesn't leave me lost.

I really would like to try co-op in the game eventually. I know people say its better solo but I do love some co-op!

So yeah, this game is hard lol. I got past the initial section to unlock my first lamp. Can't even get close to anywhere beyond that. Not really sure how to parry or dodge :(

Fhtagn

I hate it when I see people say "oh, that boss isn't so hard, I got it done on my second try" and I finally have "proof" why.

I almost killed a very hard boss (second layer of final story chalice) on my second try just now. I had it down to a sliver of health and had I landed a couple more blows I would have won; instead I whiffed my frantic attacks, got stomped on and died.

Right, so easy then, just reproduce what I just did and not fuck up right at the end. Sure.

Twenty two tries later I was victorious.

I made a video montage of the first and second attempts, then the 20+ deaths and then victory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94rZ5LkntL0

I sure am stubborn. And maybe overeager to land hits and not the most consistent player. But had I won on that second fight, I wouldn't really have a sense of just how smart the AI on this boss is. It adjusts based on your position in mid-combo making it much more difficulty to dodge on instincts until you've learned that. I eventually figured out how to bait a pattern and how to cleanly heal or buff.

Edit: also I've seen people suggest not locking on for this fight and I don't know how that's possible; I got killed anytime I stayed locked off for more than a few seconds. It closes distance so quickly and has such extreme reach that not being able to quick dodge = death. If someone has a reliable no lock on strat video I'm curious to see it.

so for chalices those stones represent the stage...

left one is locked, 1st to it is the 1st one?

Do you mean the headstones in Hunter's Dream? The one on the far left is for a specific chalice (Short Root, specifically for searching for dungeons made by others), but you can use any chalice with any other headstone. Their place doesn't determine anything.

weevles

Were there issues with corpses clipping through stairs/walls prior to the patch? I was just farming echoes from the two wolves on the bridge near the second torch in Central Yharnam and at least one corpse would disappear through the floor every time. Not a real big deal, but a little annoying.

The bosses on the last chalice are not that bad after the defiled stuff.

1th boss is a bit of a pain and took me a few good tries. Just have to really nail the dodging.

2nd boss I did on my first try but was out of all my blood and bullets at the end. Hardest part is getting the lunging R2+forward attack out reliably.

On the last floor! Will get the platinum hopefully tomorrow.

Juraash

Were there issues with corpses clipping through stairs/walls prior to the patch? I was just farming echoes from the two wolves on the bridge near the second torch in Central Yharnam and at least one corpse would disappear through the floor every time. Not a real big deal, but a little annoying.

That's definitely not new. Happened to me on those same mobs like first day I played it.

The
Yarnham Queen
was really anti climactic. It only took 2 tries. I guess the cleaver was well suited.

I'll have the platinum within the next few hours.

joecanada

I'm trying to coop with a friend why is an area bell won't work. Greyed out after we just coop the same area? Is there still issues? What causes the bell to be Greyed out

I'm trying to coop with a friend why is an area bell won't work. Greyed out after we just coop the same area? Is there still issues? What causes the bell to be Greyed out

There are some parts of a map that are marked as shutting off summoning services, such as lamp rooms in Chalice Dungeons or doing things like climbing a ladder.

So yeah, this game is hard lol. I got past the initial section to unlock my first lamp. Can't even get close to anywhere beyond that. Not really sure how to parry or dodge :(

Parrying and dodging is easy to do but it does take a bit of practice.

To parry someone you need to have a gun equipped in your left hand and press L2 as your enemy initiates an attack.

One of the best enemies to practice on in central Yharnam is the Brick Troll banging on the door after the bonfire surrounded by bad guys.
You can walk up close to him while he is banging on the door. Make sure to press R3 to lock onto him and then approach him. Once you get close to him he will notice you and turn around, then as long as you are standing close enough he waill raise his right arm to hit you. When he does this press L2 and fire your gun. If you have timed it right you will hear a special sound and he will drop to his knees stunned. Walk directly infont of him and press R1. This will perform a 'visceral attack' which does massive damage.

You can also perform a visceral attack if you can get behind some one and perform a fully charged R2 attack. It will make the same noise and stun them if you land it right which you can then follow up with an R1 attack to do massive damage.
To get behind an enemy you can try walking (not running) behind an enemy that hasn't noticed you or using circle to dodge behind an enemy that has noticed you. It is harder to do this to an enemy that has noticed you as they will often attack you while you are charging your R2 attack.

Dodging is simply a matter of pressing circle. If you are locked onto your enemy with R3 you will perform a 'quickstep' dodge in the direction you press on the left stick and you will dodge but normally remain facing your enemy. It is useful for trying to circle someone to attack their rear.
If you are not locked onto someone pressing circle will perform a roll in the direction you press on the left stick. This can be useful for putting more distance between you and your enemy but note that you will not be locked onto your enemy which can leave you facing the wrong direction.

You can also perform a dodge attack To do this you simply tap circle and follow it immediately with R1 or R2. Your character will leap backwards and then immediately attack. It can be useful against smaller enemies with short range weapons.

Hope that helps. It's just practice really and remember the regain system is useful for reducing health loss in fights but if you are getting pulverized or are surrounded it's usually better to make an escape and use blood vials. Draw off your attackers a few at a time.

joecanada

There are some parts of a map that are marked as shutting off summoning services, such as lamp rooms in Chalice Dungeons or doing things like climbing a ladder.

No see we went to hemwick I summoned him we beat boss then both went back now my big bell is Greyed out there. Same place as always. Same as cathedral ward

Mossybrew

The last thing I want to do is be a downer about this game, but anyone else reach NG+ and just not feel it anymore? I mean, Father Gascoigne my first run, he was my nemesis, I butted heads against that bastard 20+ times until I rang a bell for help and god damn it felt good to get past him, the appreciation I had for that random player had to be equivalent to the feeling of beating him myself god knows how many tries later - but NG+ I beat him easily on my first try. After I just felt an emptiness.

I know I've heard "chalice dungeons are the real NG+" but I'm just not feeling them.

This is not to denegrate the game at all, but it feels to me very much like The Last of Us - a game that is an absolute tour de force the initial playthrough, but subsequent attempts only detract from the magic. This game absolutely occupied my psyche for almost a month, after beating it once the returns feel so diminished that I don't want to even return.

Mogwai

The last thing I want to do is be a downer about this game, but anyone else reach NG+ and just not feel it anymore? I mean, Father Gascoigne my first run, he was my nemesis, I butted heads against that bastard 20+ times until I rang a bell for help and god damn it felt good to get past him, the appreciation I had for that random player had to be equivalent to the feeling of beating him myself god knows how many tries later - but NG+ I beat him easily on my first try. After I just felt an emptiness.

I know I've heard "chalice dungeons are the real NG+" but I'm just not feeling them.

This is not to denegrate the game at all, but it feels to me very much like The Last of Us - a game that is an absolute tour de force the initial playthrough, but subsequent attempts only detract from the magic. This game absolutely occupied my psyche for almost a month, after beating it once the returns feel so diminished that I don't want to even return.
I don't see why it's different than Dark Souls or Demon's Souls in NG+. You didn't like NG+ in those?

I've not tackled NG+ In Bloodborne yet but completed the game with two characters. Second time was just as enjoyable to me. Chalice dungeons were just super boring, but they have solid level design nonetheless. It never reached the degree of stupidity as found in some of the content in Dark Souls 2.

joecanada

wait can someone describe the chalices in a bit more detail? I found a chalice went down fought
defiled dog
, then i think I found another chalice, I have three active dungeons, but I pulled one out of the first tomb and put it in the fourth... what does this represent? Is this equivalent to just searching for another random dungeon? could I have left the chalice in and just searched for another random dungeon, or used a code to find one?

How do you get to lower level dungeons, looking for different chalices? Are there a specific number you find and then re-use or do you just keep finding them and they are denoted by the depth they go? also the materials you use to create them, are these consumed each time they are made into a new shrine?

Anyone? Help

DrkSage

Beat the Defiled Chalice around half an hour ago, man do I feel a huge relief. Beat Amy pretty boringly, you can say it was kinda cheesed, but it had to be done since defiled chalice is no joke. Basically the strategy I used was to hit Amy's back right hand and both front left hands and she would do the foot stomping motion every single time while rarely doing the multiple hand attack or jump. Took a few tries to get into position tho. I got Rasenganed and jump stomped a few times.

Edit: so tired I forgot to ask:

Where can I find 2 red jelly outside of Chalice dungeons? I remember I got them in my first playtrough somewhere in the middle or end of the game, but I forgot where was the location.

Mossybrew

I never got close to NG+ in the Souls series. I tried Demons' and Dark and never made it far into either. Just found the combat tedious and the repetition killed it for me. I'm glad I took a third chance on Bloodborne because the combat was so engaging and fun I didn't mind the repetition when I failed. I feel really good about beating the game, but it just feels like closure to me.

Beat the Defiled Chalice around half an hour ago, man do I feel a huge relief. Beat Amy pretty boringly, you can say it was kinda cheesed, but it had to be done since defiled chalice is no joke. Basically the strategy I used was to hit Amy's back right hand and both front left hands and she would do the foot stomping motion every single time while rarely doing the multiple hand attack or jump. Took a few tries to get into position tho. I got Rasenganed and jump stomped a few times.

Edit: so tired I forgot to ask:

Where can I find 2 red jelly outside of Chalice dungeons? I remember I got them in my first playtrough somewhere in the middle or end of the game, but I forgot where was the location.

In a chest in
Lecture Hall

Just beat the W
atchdog
in the Pthumeru Defiled Chalice after the 4th attempt.

What an adrenaline-pumping fight: almost died to its signature
charge attack
, and I ended the fight with 0 vials.

Like most bosses, it's a matter of exploiting their openings and never getting greedy with your swings.

My playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_acSmAi48v0

Well that third ending trophie was nagging away at me
refuse, kill gerhnam but submit to moon presence
. So I didy NG++ play through. Only took about 3.5 hours.

I find it pretty cool how these games can all be done really fast once you know how.

NG took 23 hours. Blind run. Missed a bunch of optional stuff

NG+ took 17 hours. Do all side stuff and beat every boss in game (not including chalice stuff)

NG++ 3.5 hours. Just bosses needed and mostly co op for fun. Had a few duels as well when I got invaded.

I wish I liked the chalice dungeons as I would go for the plat but I really don't think they are fun.

I need help with the Cannon.

I finally can use it but is it unavailable for blood gem fortification ?

I can upgrade it normally using fortification but cant select it to use gems on it.

Well that third ending trophie was nagging away at me
refuse, kill gerhnam but submit to moon presence
. So I didy NG++ play through. Only took about 3.5 hours.

I find it pretty cool how these games can all be done really fast once you know how.

NG took 23 hours. Blond run. Missed a bunch of optional stuff

NG+ took 17 hours. Do all side stuff and beat every boss in game (not including chalice stuff)

NG++ 3.5 hours. Just bosses needed and mostly co op for fun. Had a few duels as well when I got invaded.

I wish I liked the chalice dungeons as I would go for the plat but I really don't think they are fun.

I think Mizayaki should use unique mobs/bosses in Chalice Dungeons for main game. I am playing DS2 now and i am amazed at contents in original game (not DLC). Chalice Dungeons is great idea but the implementation is very poor. If they want to do it again in BB2, they should design it as static levels, not the generated levels.

I think Mizayaki should use unique mobs/bosses in Chalice Dungeons for main game. I am playing DS2 now and i am amazed at contents in original game (not DLC). Chalice Dungeons is great idea but the implementation is very poor. If they want to do it again in BB2, they should design it as static levels, not the generated levels.

Yup.

The level bits are so horrible in them I have no desire to grind through them all.

Should have just had some boss run dungeons or something. Nothing but bosses, unique ones. Would be more fun.

However, integrated into the main world would be better.

Edit:
Maybe even what diablo 3 did. Tie a few random maps together from the main world and fill it with random mobs.

At least the would be more fun to navigate then.

Top Bottom