• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

sn00zer

What are thee quest lines people speak of?....

Also I never sent anyone to any safe place....is that horrible? because honestly both places seemed shady as shit
and the nurse certainly turned out to be

Fhtagn

Meh. The one swamp we got is good enough for me. Not a fan of blight town. Gutter is cool though.

NF is a glorious return of a truly great poison area, on par with the greatness of the Valley of Defilement and Blighttown. Those are, no joke, my favorite areas. The gutter/black gulch is alright but a major let down to be honest; the lack of genuinely slow poison in DkS 2 doesn't allow for the same risk/reward balancing that the other games get to luxuriate in.

danthefan

Yay, finally took down
Fr. Gascoigne,
was having a lot of trouble with his
beast form
but turns out a couple of hits then just one good parry/riposte did the job.

Is there any benefit of killing the Yahar'gul Chapel Hunters? I've already killed One Reborn but I feel like I keep needing to go back to kill those fuckers. But I just keep getting owned every time....

Anyone else find it much easier to parry fast attacks than these super slow ones? I had the same problem in the other souls games. On the slow attacks I always parry too soon and get nailed. :(

Is there any benefit of killing the Yahar'gul Chapel Hunters? I've already killed One Reborn but I feel like I keep needing to go back to kill those fuckers. But I just keep getting owned every time....

They're in your way. They have become your prey now. It's just what hunters do... ;)

Seriously though,I think the one with the beast claws drops a rune iirc. Other than that and having the area clear there's not much of a need to kill them I think.

Jyrii

Banned
Man it feels good to kill bosses without summons.

I had major trouble with L
ogarius
, and ended up using the Beckoning Bell. No one was summoned, so I just went alone and this time was actually able to win.

Man it feels good to kill bosses without summons.

I had major trouble with L
ogarius
, and ended up using the Beckoning Bell. No one was summoned, so I just went alone and this time was actually able to win.

You just needed the confidence boost it seems. :p Completely agree btw.

Anyone else find it much easier to parry fast attacks than these super slow ones? I had the same problem in the other souls games. On the slow attacks I always parry too soon and get nailed. :(
Hahha yeah. The guys in Duke's come to mind with the most startup frames in gaming history just to screw with your parry timing.

Anyone with a character that did the Forbidden Woods backdoor glitch/shortcut ever see what happens when you go to the Father Gascoigne boss from behind? Is the hatch door on the floor of the library room of the cathedral open or closed?
I don't think it's possible to get there if you sequence break
if you attempt to go back to Cathedral Ward from Forbidden Woods, you'll be blocked by the password door from inside.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
man. ML was giving me such a hard time. But he's so easy after you learn that one little trick, and then just spam shots during the 2nd phase to stun and visceral...

Decided to head back to UV, and clear that out before I move to the NF/NM, and Upper CW. Ran into those 3 hunters everyone talks about, and died a few times. Done for the night.

Banzai

I still have a save where I didnt go into NG+ yet up on psn, but it's from before the patch. Will it be compatible still? Wouldnt want to overwrite my current save with one that doesnt work.

So my character build is all about giving heavy hits and tanking big damage. I use Hunters Axe and adore it. I've been putting all my Echoes into

Vitality
Strength
Skill

And that's it. Does that sound good

After beating the boss of the
Forbidden woods
, I'm now going to watch some playthroughs of the areas ahead just to know where the
spider
encounters are. Yeah, I can't man. I just tried the first Lower Chalice dungeon and when that first one showed up, then all those red ones....damn near had a heart attack.

So my character build is all about giving heavy hits and tanking if damage. I use Hunters Axe and adore it. I've been putting all my Echoes into

Vitality
Strength
Skill

I think you'll want to focus more on Endurance than Skill. You want to boost stamina so you can attack more in a single charge, and weapons like the Axe tend to have low attribute bonuses with Skill.

I ended up with a similar build to what you're going for, and I focused on Strength, Endurance and Vitality.

Gotta say though, kinda wish the game also gives me room to work on my Bloodtinge.

mattp

So my character build is all about giving heavy hits and tanking if damage. I use Hunters Axe and adore it. I've been putting all my Echoes into

Vitality
Strength
Skill

normally i would focus mostly on strength or skill, but not both

Just got to it and damn it's tough taking a break tonight and will regroup to destroy him tomorrow!

Nice! Yeah Rom was the hardest fight in the game so far for me. Even if some found it easy. I've noticed different fights are easier or harder for different people depending on your play type. Some bosses people found hard I killed on my first try.

Rom
was a nightmare for me though. That said just keep at it and you'll kill it! Was so happy to see that thing die

Xeilyn

Really? It seemed like when I invested points in both it raised my stats better. I could be totally off though and if so which of the two should I focus on if I primarily use Hunters Axe?
The hunters axe gets A scaling in str and D scaling in skill at +10 so i would definitely not bother with skill

SilentFlyer

After beating the boss of the
Forbidden woods
, I'm now going to watch some playthroughs of the areas ahead just to know where the
spider
encounters are. Yeah, I can't man. I just tried the first Lower Chalice dungeon and when that first one showed up, then all those red ones....damn near had a heart attact

As soon as I see those red ones, I rush to find the lady with bell. There is no point in killing these red because they will keep spawning until you kill that lady ringing the bell.

Derpot

Haha, I backstabbed Henryk, then ran away to the ladder leading to Oedon Chapel and while I was climbing up, I saw him below doing the Roar emote. Didn't know he could do that!

Toxi

Banned
Haha, I backstabbed Henryk, then ran away to the ladder leading to Oedon Chapel and while I was climbing up, I saw him below doing the Roar emote. Didn't know he could do that!
I've seen him do the Roar gesture. It's pretty funny and a nice way of indicating how crazy he's gone.
I got my first pvp hate mail today. I feel like a big boy now!
Good job! The salt must flow.

Madridy

Guys, is it possible to get the
three endin
gs in one play-through?

If yes, can someone explain to me the method without ending spoilers?

Thanks. (Don't forget to spoiler tag)

Guys, is it possible to get the
three endin
gs in one play-through?

If yes, can someone explain to me the method without ending spoilers?

Thanks. (Don't forgot to spoiler tag)
Save your file to a USB drive and do an ending. After completing the ending, revert to your old save and do another.

myco666

This is something that I think is underappreciated in this game: not every fight is frantic dodging and non-stop combat; a lot of the fights thrive more on atmosphere, and they're a huge step up from the "puzzle" bosses in previous Souls games.

The W
itch
of H
emwick
gets a lot of crap for being easy, but it was actually one of the most memorable fights for me.

I friend was watching me play and helping me figure out the game. I had a lot of Blood Echoes going into the fight, so we were kind of tense and considering just Bold Hunter's Marking out. Our conversation during the fight went something like:
- "The witch is so slow that she must 1 shot me if she hits me"
- "Some little tiny minion just popped up randomly! The witch must summon them...they probably 1 shot me too."
- "I hit the witch, but her health bar didn't move.......wait, what if that isn't the witch?!?"
- "I killed the witch; that was pretty easy! WAIT NOW THERE ARE TWO WITCHES AND THREE MONSTERS"

Witch of Hemwick, Micolash, Celestial Emissary, and Rom all fall under this kind of slow atmospheric "puzzle" fight category for me.

Yeah. Boss fight doesn't need to be intense to be good IMO. It helps alot though.

how can you go through it without a torch?
I played SoFS version and that place was too dark to see anything.

I played the original version on PS3 and it wasn't too dark.

danthefan

Awesome, both bosses in the first (proper) area of the game down now. Felt really overwhelmed to begin with but starting to get a bit more confident now. Have upgraded my weapon a bit and found a new set of armour so that certainly helps a lot. Also got to buy the Kirkhammer, I don't think I'll use it much but it's just so damn cool.

Mossybrew

Tip for those having trouble with Rom:
if you can do enough damage to him as he starts to teleport (keep hitting him as hard as you can when he turns translucent) you can actually interrupt his teleport and he will rematerialize. He'll then again turn translucent and eventually teleport, but you'll be hitting him the whole time. If you can manage this he'll be at very low health after his first teleport and a few quick hit & runs will finish him off.

I leveled the Tonitrus just for this fight and was hitting him with the charged heavy attack, which seemed to really hurt him.

Also note that you'll want to completely finish off the first batch of baby spiders so you can hit him without interruption.

Another Rom tip:
When he goes into a phase where he cast ice spells, keep an eye on him: when he rises his body up to do a slam, watch when he hits the ground which is in tandem with when the ice spears drop. After rolling past the first spears, roll TOWARDS THE SPEARS YOU JUST dodged and repeat as needed. This isn't 100% consistent but I find this method more consistent than just randomly dodging and hoping that you don't get hit.

Invasions are so much harder now, since you're usually up against at least two players outside of the nightmares. Feels great when you win though.

Didn't even get any hatemail yet...and I've killed some people in really scummy ways. :p

Melchiah

Tip for those having trouble with Rom:
if you can do enough damage to him as he starts to teleport (keep hitting him as hard as you can when he turns translucent) you can actually interrupt his teleport and he will rematerialize. He'll then again turn translucent and eventually teleport, but you'll be hitting him the whole time. If you can manage this he'll be at very low health after his first teleport and a few quick hit & runs will finish him off.

I leveled the Tonitrus just for this fight and was hitting him with the charged heavy attack, which seemed to really hurt him.

Also note that you'll want to completely finish off the first batch of baby spiders so you can hit him without interruption.

The last part isn't necessary with this strategy: https://youtu.be/sCNG2n5Wt7E
I did so myself, and only used a handful of Blood Vials during the match.

myco666

Another Rom tip:
When he goes into a phase where he cast ice spells, keep an eye on him: when he rises his body up to do a slam, watch when he hits the ground which is in tandem with when the ice spears drop. After rolling past the first spears, roll TOWARDS THE SPEARS YOU JUST dodged and repeat as needed. This isn't 100% consistent but I find this method more consistent than just randomly dodging and hoping that you don't get hit.

I usually just tilt the camera up so that I can see when the spears will hit. Makes it really easy to time dodging.

I usually just tilt the camera up so that I can see when the spears will hit. Makes it really easy to time dodging.

Eh...
Just watch when Rom lands so that you don't have to fight with the camera. They had to have made his casting animation a hint as to when the spears will land.

Sephzilla

Regarding R
om
. I think
slowly picking off the spiders is the better way to approach Rom honestly. Yeah it makes the fight a little longer but you eliminate a ton of potential "bad luck" deaths since the spiders are way more of a threat than Rom himself.

myco666

Eh...
Just watch when Rom lands so that you don't have to fight with the camera. They had to have made his casting animation a hint as to when the spears will land.

Going to try this next time. The camera trick is easy though.

Regarding R
om
. I think
slowly picking off the spiders is the better way to approach Rom honestly. Yeah it makes the fight a little longer but you eliminate a ton of potential "bad luck" deaths since the spiders are way more of a threat than Rom himself.

This. I have probably died more on the little guys than Rom.

Alpende

Regarding R
om
. I think

Yeah, his buddies die very fast if you're using a Tonitrus that's somewhat leveled up.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Getting a million souls every 22 minutes with this farming spot:

Isz chalice, lantern 3. Using a +9 Saw Spear with Bolt. First room has a bunch of alien dudes, each give 5K with 2 blood echo enhance runes. 70K every run. Fast and close.

Thanks. Going to power level some to hopefully make the final chalice easier. To clarify for others it's the layer 3 lantern, not the third on the list. There are also two wolves in the back of the room that give a lot of echoes and vials.

AngryMoth

Invasions are so much harder now, since you're usually up against at least two players outside of the nightmares. Feels great when you win though.

Didn't even get any hatemail yet...and I've killed some people in really scummy ways. :p
Also invaders have a 30% health penalty! I don't like that they did that

Oppo

Regarding R
om
. I think

I did this by circling carefully and hitting the little guys from the side with the long cane whip, they go down in 1-2 hits if you don't hit 'em in the face.

myco666

Also invaders have a 30% health penalty! I don't like that they did that

Well you will almost always have advantage of hiding behind enemies when invading.

Does invading net you anything worthwhile? Have invaded only few times but it seems like there is no reason other than being asshole to others.

Top Bottom