• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

NastyBook

I got 1.1 million Souls burning a hole in my pocket. Current stats as follows:

Milquetoast

VIT 30
END 30
STR 26
SKL 26
BT 18
AR 15

Continue buffing what I'm already buffing? Want to make sure my pimp hand is strong for G
ehrman

I need some encouragement / advice.

This is my first souls game.

Its been a tough road and I'm at ROM. I have lost my desire to fight him but I want to finish this game so bad.

GAF, does the game get better after ROM? I'd he easier than I think? Do I kill all his spider bros?
It gets tougher, but it certainly becomes very interesting since things happen. Rom isn't hard besides her ice projectiles. I honestly believe that bum rushing Rom is a terrible strategy and should not be recommended. Her minions are meant to be taken out first. When you see the projectiles ( She 'stands') run in a diagonal line until it stops and take out the spiders.

Toxi

Banned

Its been a tough road and I'm at ROM. I have lost my desire to fight him but I want to finish this game so bad.

GAF, does the game get better after ROM? I'd he easier than I think? Do I kill all his spider bros?
I'd recommend panning up the camera when fighting Rom fires the meteors; that way you can tell where the projectiles are coming from. Also stay closer to her so she uses her other attacks instead (Watch out for that AOE). Don't lock on, it will fuck up your aim with all the little spiders. Lightning damage is your friend; Rom and the spiders are super-weak to lightning. Try wearing arcane resistant clothing and runes so that Rom's attacks do less damage.

My personal strategy is to take out the first wave of spiders, then go in whole-hog on Rom, but I've heard other people say taking the spiders out first each wave is also fine.

hohoXD123

Kill the first set of minions only, ignore the rest. The projectiles can be dodged easily by going in a zigzag pattern. Don't be greedy with your hits after the first teleportation, also bolt paper is your friend.

joecanada

Milquetoast

VIT 30
END 30
STR 26
SKL 26
BT 18
AR 15

Continue buffing what I'm already buffing? Want to make sure my pimp hand is strong for G
ehrman

by pimp hand do you actually mean the threaded cane? because if so I would boost skill up more....
If not then I would just say your endurance is probably enough for now, unless you are noticing moveset problems, or dodging a ton. so boost whatever your weapons are needing and vit.

But you look pretty well rounded now, you may want to just bump one important stat (str, or skill) up to 40? check with some others i'm no expert...

Kipper

If it makes you feel any better, Rom was wiping the floor with me. I always find it discouraging when I'm struggling with a boss, and people are just like "oh that one was easy." Oh yeah?
I just kept at it, getting a bit better each time until I won. The game world was already really interesting, but I think it gets much more interesting right after Rom, so if you're into that, it's definitely worth it!

I don't know if this is case of GOTGUD or what, but I just finished the game and
I thought Gehrman was significantly easier than many other bosses (particularly Logarius and Gascoigne). I got him very low health three times in a row, after a couple of tries, and finally got him the third try. The terrain is _much_ less friendly during Gascoigne's fight and it's quite easy to get stuck in a tombstone, which opens Papa G or his beast form to utterly wreck you. I thought dancing around Gerhman was quite easy His scythe attack is much easier to parry than G or BSB's attacks. And it's quite easy to bait him during his non-scythe phase. Now onto the chalices... and Ebrietas, which I haven't tried facing yet but am already terrified of :/

MidEvlDed

I was having a hard time with this boss until I started to kill all of its little spider minions each time. I would kill all of the spiders as quickly as possible, then focus on the boss. Each time it spawned more spiders, I would do the same. This made it easier for me to dodge without getting stuck on small spiders or attacked from behind. Rom itself only has 3 attacks and they're not too bad. The AOE is the worst and it will do it quite a bit when it's down to it's last 3rd of it's hp. And as many said, bolt paper worked great for me, if you have access to it. I wouldn't recommend using it though until you feel like it's the last thing you need to get you over the hump. Just so you don't waste a bunch while you're dying.

quick question re: NG+:

will i have access to chalices right away in NG+?
I am wondering if I should do all the chalices, and then finally go for the true ending, or vice-versa.

(Another problem is that if I need tons of echoes there might not immediately be an easy area to cheese blood echoes from at the beginning of the game)

Stillmatic

I'm just going through the chalice dungeons, the dungeons themselves are repetitive and pretty boring, but I'm loving the boss fights. I've just beaten BSB in the Ailing Loran chalice at lv90 and it was probably the most I've died to a boss so far, but man it was a fun fight! I'll probably upload them at some point, I was a big wuss with the first few bosses though, I thought they were a lot stronger than they actually were so was playing more defensively.

From what I've read I guess from here things are about to get painful, as I think I've got Lower Loran and then Defiled. But I don't want to over level to beat anything! I think the guide recommends lv 100+ for Ailing Loran, so I'm about 10 levels under at the moment, but it feels about right.

NastyBook

by pimp hand do you actually mean the threaded cane? because if so I would boost skill up more....
If not then I would just say your endurance is probably enough for now, unless you are noticing moveset problems, or dodging a ton. so boost whatever your weapons are needing and vit.

But you look pretty well rounded now, you may want to just bump one important stat (str, or skill) up to 40? check with some others i'm no expert...
Sounds good to me! Thanks.

Alebrije

EvUmhl.jpg

hohoXD123

I don't know if this is case of GOTGUD or what, but I just finished the game and
I thought Gehrman was significantly easier than many other bosses (particularly Logarius and Gascoigne). I got him very low health three times in a row, after a couple of tries, and finally got him the third try. The terrain is _much_ less friendly during Gascoigne's fight and it's quite easy to get stuck in a tombstone, which opens Papa G or his beast form to utterly wreck you. I thought dancing around Gerhman was quite easy His scythe attack is much easier to parry than G or BSB's attacks. And it's quite easy to bait him during his non-scythe phase. Now onto the chalices... and Ebrietas, which I haven't tried facing yet but am already terrified of :/

Yeah I heard that Gehrman was one of the toughest bosses from different places, but was pretty disappointed. Vicar Amelia and Logarius were much, much tougher imo. Though I did appreciate that the fog gate for him was very close and less of a chore to get to.

Haines

Banned
Wow so much great advice and encouragement. You guys have a great little community going on in this thread.

THANK YOU. TIME TO KILL ROM

Wow so much great advice and encouragement. You guys have a great little community going on in this thread.

THANK YOU. TIME TO KILL ROM

Rom can be hard for many players from what I seem, so dont feel discourage. As mention, use Bolt paper on Rom, take your time and kill the spider minions. Dont attack the heads, since the spider minions have armor plating and will take less damage. Careful of Rom's AoE attack when youre up close. Also try to medium range from Rom, that will cause her to summon those meteorites or whatever from the lake upwards. That attack is prob the easiest to evade. Good Luck!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I beat my NG+ last night, and got two more endings. I'm planning on reloading my save, and completing some other stuff. I'm not a Trophy guy, but I'm only about 5 or so Trophies away from Platinum, so I figure, why not?

Man I love this game.

I absolutely destroyed G
herman
this time around. Beat him my first attempt. Parrying and Visceral Attack for the win. My first playthrough, I got rocked. I also destroyed the (end boss spoilers) M
oon
P
resence
boss with no trouble as well.

Draper

So, does NG+ scale according to what level you are? I'll be hitting NG++ shortly and I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to grind at the end here.

So, does NG+ scale according to what level you are? I'll be hitting NG++ shortly and I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to grind at the end here.

No, there is a modifier that is applied on all enemies and bosses depending on the areas. Funny thing is the modifier is actually higher in the beginning section of the game and tappers off towards the middle and later portion of the game.

MidEvlDed

I beat my NG+ last night, and got two more endings. I'm planning on reloading my save, and completing some other stuff. I'm not a Trophy guy, but I'm only about 5 or so Trophies away from Platinum, so I figure, why not?

Man I love this game.

I absolutely destroyed G
herman
this time around. Beat him my first attempt. Parrying and Visceral Attack for the win. My first playthrough, I got rocked. I also destroyed the (end boss spoilers) M
oon
P
resence
boss with no trouble as well.

When you say "reloading your save" can you finish the game and then go back to the ending right before the boss? When you start NG+ does that start a new save file? I want to finish the game, but I also don't really want to go to NG+ yet because i know it will be harder for me to get blood viles, echoes, etc.

Toxi

Banned
When you say "reloading your save" can you finish the game and then go back to the ending right before the boss? When you start NG+ does that start a new save file? I want to finish the game, but I also don't really want to go to NG+ yet because i know it will be harder for me to get blood viles, echoes, etc.
You have to save your file to a USB drive. The game auto-saves, so you won't be able to reload earlier save files normally and get all the endings.

That
laser thing
in
Unseen Village
what the fuck
Just run out of its path if it traces over you.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Hey peoples.

This may have been covered before, but darned if I could find it! My conundrum regards various releases of BB's soundtrack. As I understand it, there are two physical versions: A single-disc version (NA domestic) and a double-disc version (Japan only).

Most digital versions correspond with the NA domestic single disc release with 21 tracks.

However, the NA PSN digital version is 25 tracks and has the same running order as the Japanese double-disc.

(By the way, the tracks missing from the single-disc version are "Terror" by Cris Velasco,
"Amygdala"
by Cris Velasco, "Of the
Pthumerian
Line" by Michael Wandmacher, and "Lullaby for
Mergo
" by Ryan Amon.)

So... My question is twofold:

1.) Is the US PSN digital version in fact identical to the Japanese physical release?

2.) Is the only way to acquire the full soundtrack lossless via the Japanese physical release?

Thanks in advance for any clarification! Umbasa.

You have to save your file to a USB drive. The game auto-saves, so you won't be able to reload earlier save files normally and get all the endings.
You can use cloud saves to get around the auto-save.

It's basically the only reason I bothered getting all three endings.

The DLC for this game is going to be IMMENSE. Strong as the game is, you can tell so many ideas didn't get a chance to be fully developed.

Draper

It's weird, there's this specific spot when you're doing the final run up to the
wet nurses lunarium
that triggers Alfred's roar sound. I can keep walking back and forth and re-trigger the sound. Wonder if it means anything.

The last boss I beat was Rom. Should I go to cainhurst castle or the library where that long legged bum in the ceiling always takes me? or some other place?

Toxi

Banned
The last boss I beat was Rom. Should I go to cainhurst castle or the library where that long legged bum in the ceiling always takes me? or some other place?
The first two paths are awesome optional areas; the next mandatory area is
through that open door you teleported to after you beat Rom.

FaintDeftone

So I just attempted to tackle
Nightmare of Mensis
for the first time and wow I'm getting destroyed. Everything hits very hard. Plus it didn't help that I found out one of my blood gems equipped gave me permanent poison damage. That didn't mix too well with the frenzy damage.

I basically just hauled ass and ran to the second lamp in that area. Those spiders were nuts and have a crazy long reach. I backtracked from there and killed the hunter on the bridge (which was cake coming from the back). At least I'm rather free of frenzy damage at the moment.

What is the best way to prepare for this area? I'm LVL 60 and I have the +8 Saw Spear. I know upgrading my weapon won't be much of an option since
most of the blood chunks are scattered around Mensis

I still haven't gone through
Cainhurst
yet. Maybe I can go through there and come back. Otherwise,
Mensis
is my only destination left.

Toxi

Banned
What is the best way to prepare for this area? I'm LVL 60 and I have the +8 Saw Spear. I know upgrading my weapon won't be much of an option since
most of the blood chunks are scattered around Mensis

I still haven't gone through
Cainhurst
yet. Maybe I can go through there and come back. Otherwise,
Mensis
is my only destination left.
Cainhurst has a lot of blood chunks and is fun, so I'd definitely recommend going there.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Goddamnit, the Watchdog of the old Lords in chalice dungeon is kicking my ass for the pass 2hrs+...I needs to finish chalice and get my Platinum Grrrr...I won't give up...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Rom is easy. But the game gets harder after her so... good luck. ^^

I honestly believe that bum rushing Rom is a terrible strategy and should not be recommended. Her minions are meant to be taken out first. When you see the projectiles ( She 'stands') run in a diagonal line until it stops and take out the spiders.
Couldn't disagree more. Taking out the minions is a complete and utter waste of time*. I never died to Rom, killed her 3 times and I never bothered with the baby spiders. Just unlock, run around the minions more or less in zig-zag (this also helps with the ice beams), roll to avoid the falling spiders, get your hits in. If it starts charging the AOE, roll/run backwards to avoid it.

Just keep moving all the time and it'll be dead in no time.

* Different story in the Chalice Dungeon, due to the confined space, but for story Rom? Absurd.

What sounds like a better use of runes? Pick 3.

+15% HP
+10% HP
-7% Physical Damage
-5% All Damage
+5 Blood Vials

+hp

and prob +5 vials for high level.

i mean 5% reduce damage means if an attack would do 1000 damage, it would shave off 50...

i don't even think the mobs in the beginning of ng+ do less than 50

Kusagari

Milquetoast

VIT 30
END 30
STR 26
SKL 26
BT 18
AR 15

ehrman

Don't level up too much. I did for the chalices and then he was an absolute joke. I could basically just tank everything he did.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Couldn't disagree more. Taking out the minions is a complete and utter waste of time*. I never died to Rom, killed her 3 times and I never bothered with the baby spiders. Just unlock, run around the minions more or less in zig-zag (this also helps with the ice beams), roll to avoid the falling spiders, get your hits in. If it starts charging the AOE, roll/run backwards to avoid it.

Just keep moving all the time and it'll be dead in no time.

* Different story in the Chalice Dungeon, due to the confined space, but for story Rom? Absurd.

I couldn't disagree more with your disagreement :p

I always took time dispatching the baby spiders one by one: that space icicle attack is easy to avoid anyways and once she's left alone, Rom can't do jack shit, hahaha.

Leaving dozens of those spiders around her brings out too many "what ifs" situation that I just don't like dealing with. "What if they pounded on me as I strike her" or "What if they attack me while I got blasted by her AOE" or "What if three of them strike me silly as a roll out to avoid her rolling/AOE/Icicle" yada yada yada.

Better take them out first.

Although last night I did actually beat her using bum rush tactics t to try it out. I won, but it was ugly (and I close out the deal by shooting Canon at her, lol), and honestly I prefer the spiders slaying tactic much more.

Top Bottom