• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

Im really late to the lore thread, so forgive me if im restating what someone else has said. So some people are saying they think Yarnham and certain parts of the game are reality. But I don't think so. The times where we enter a nightmare generally occur after we are grabbed by Amygdala's which are representative of fear (named after the part of the brain that handles those responses.)

I have so many theories about how the story could potentially work out. But I do believe the entirety of the game is the dream of an Elder one.
Ooh, the game being about an elder one absorbing enough blood to be borne would explain the title :p

Anyway, where is Arch, whatizname who the sword is named after, and Laurence? They should still be alive. Did Arch get killed by/become Paarl?

Soulflarz

Banned
One of the aliens at Iosefka's clinic you kill drops a Iosefka's vial. if that doesn't tell you what happened to her, then nothing will.

So...the alien we kill is presumably her. And shes replaced by whatever made her an alien.

So in reality, she cant make things into aliens, it's just whatever killed her. Which is an alien.

HeelPower

wait, what happened to her in your game? i didn't give her the brooch and sent her tot he chapel so the pig under the bridge ate her.

te3QA2l.jpg

That enemy next to her actually talks and says something like " so cold to your sister" and it terrified me.

Ooh, the game being about an elder one absorbing enough blood to be borne would explain the title :p

Anyway, where is Arch, whatizname who the sword is named after, and Laurence? They should still be alive. Did Arch get killed by/become Paarl?

Sorry I edited it, because I need to think about it a little more. It's possible we were just hosting it like a symbiote, it was giving us power and we were feeding it the blood of others.

So...the alien we kill is presumably her. And shes replaced by whatever made her an alien.

So in reality, she cant make things into aliens, it's just whatever killed her. Which is an alien.

Possibly, but we also find Iosefka's blood vial in the nightmare of Mensis in Mergo's loft. So it's hard to say she isn't actually Iosefka, maybe she's just a Zealot.

GorillaJu

What's interesting is that there are aliens and there are beasts. As per the transformed dudes in the clinic, humans can turn into aliens. I guess they're the "kin of the cosmos" being mentioned around the game?

I think depending on which diety's blood is being taken, the metamorphosis changes. You have some taking Ebrietas's blood that become aliens, some that become little beasts like Gilbert, some that become werewolves like in Central Yharnam, etc.

And there's Master Willem, who is in mid-transformation. The tentacles and blue skin on his neck would indicate he's transforming toward the kin. I think Willem knew the blood was dangerous, as he said "the blood makes us more than human", and "fear the old blood. For god's sake, Laurence, fear it." I think he knew the blood was a bad idea early on but wanted to know just what the hell was going on with the Great Ones and sought to communicate with them, but it was too late for himself to avoid transformation.

Wait, why are we thinking the crazy woman isn't Iosofka? Couldn't the vial just be on an alien because it's her clinic? And she's like experimenting on them? I have one of those vials and I'm not her (I think?)

LiK

That enemy next to her actually talks and says something like " so cold to your sister" and it terrified me.

oh, yea, i got the same result after i gave her the bloody ribbon. she goes insane.

i didn't know the enemy talked...

wait, what happened to her in your game? i didn't give her the brooch and sent her tot he chapel so the pig under the bridge ate her.

She gets eaten by the pig anyway. After you beat Rom and go to the window again you talk to her sister and asks you to find her smaller sister.You find Red Messenger Ribbon(from blood) on the pig and you give it to her sister.At first she grieves over her sister but as you walk away she says something like: "finally the ribbon is mine,hahaha...".After you get back to the window again,it's closed.You descend the ladder nearby and you find her corpse and White Messenger Ribbon.End of story.Absolutely tragic From...

Edit: didn't read you post above...

Wait, why are we thinking the crazy woman isn't Iosofka? Couldn't the vial just be on an alien because it's her clinic? And she's like experimenting on them? I have one of those vials and I'm not her (I think?)

because of this
she's a impostor

So there are two Iosefka's. I didn't know for sure but the rumor was the one from the beginning was replaced by an Imposter. Well, it's true.

FKPHYJZ.jpg

Uthred

I thought when I first woke up Wheels was dead on the clinic floor, must recheck that

Thats the second sister, the first gets eaten by the pig the second commits suicide as she has nothing more to do in life after getting that swag blood covered ribbon

What's interesting is that there are aliens and there are beasts. As per the transformed dudes in the clinic, humans can turn into aliens. I guess they're the "kin of the cosmos" being mentioned around the game?

I think depending on which diety's blood is being taken, the metamorphosis changes. You have some taking Ebrietas's blood that become aliens, some that become little beasts like Gilbert, some that become werewolves like in Central Yharnam, etc.

And there's Master Willem, who is in mid-transformation. The tentacles and blue skin on his neck would indicate he's transforming toward the kin. I think Willem knew the blood was dangerous, as he said "the blood makes us more than human", and "fear the old blood. For god's sake, Laurence, fear it." I think he knew the blood was a bad idea early on but wanted to know just what the hell was going on with the Great Ones and sought to communicate with them, but it was too late for himself to avoid transformation.

Beasts seem to be more the antithesis of the Great Ones and the kin, the ashen plague and the way Insight vs Beasthood work sort of points toward that. Also, while it means the same thing, I think its fungal growths on Wilhem's neck not tentacles.

Sorry I edited it, because I need to think about it a little more. It's possible we were just hosting it like a symbiote, it was giving us power and we were feeding it the blood of others.

Given the cutscene before the true ending maybe the Moon Presence is basically a sentient celestial womb and by eating the umbilical cords we create a full one which allows us to attach ourselves to said womb thus birthing ourselves as a great one infant. Not super sure how beating the shit out of the moon presence ties into that, maybe thats us breaking through the cosmic placenta? (Was pretty sure when I got up this morning I wouldnt be using the phrase "cosmic placenta", cheers FROM)

LiK

She gets eaten by the pig anyway. After you beat Rom and go to the window again you talk to her sister and asks you to find her smaller sister.You find Red Messenger Ribbon(from blood) on the pig and you give it to her sister.At first she grieves over her sister but as you walk away she says something like: "finally the ribbon is mine,hahaha...".After you get back to the window again,it's closed.You descend the ladder nearby and you find her corpse and White Messenger Ribbon.End of story.Absolutely tragic From...

yup, all the same stuff. HeelPower said she didn't get eaten. he probably confused her with the sister

GorillaJu

Possibly, but we also find Iosefka's blood vial in the nightmare of Mensis in Mergo's loft. So it's hard to say she isn't actually Iosefka, maybe she's just a Zealot.

But she's an imposter doctor. That's like the most clear info you can get its straight from the game's credits—it's definitely not Iosefka that fights you and does experiments on people/turning them into kin.

HeelPower

oh, yea, i got the same result after i gave her the bloody ribbon. she goes insane.

i didn't know the enemy talked...

Edit: didn't read you post above...

Oooh

So that dead girl is the younger sister.

Yeah it was so depressing..I honestly felt horrible after seeing her dead body like that.Crushing moment.

But she's an imposter doctor. That's like the most clear info you can get its straight from the game's credits—it's definitely not Iosefka that fights you and does experiments on people/turning them into kin.
She could be the one who fights you, not the pregnant one

LiK

Oooh

So that dead girl is the younger sister.

Yeah it was so depressing..I honestly felt horrible after seeing her dead body like that.Crushing moment.

i think older sister since she told the lil girl to stay put when you talk to her. so maybe she knows how to get around the city better. but man, so dark and disturbing.

GorillaJu

She could be the one who fights you, not the pregnant one

No, the imposter doctor is the one who gets pregnant. As soon as you defeat Father Gascoigne, Iosefka is replaced by the imposter. You can see this because if you look through the crack in the window after killin Father G, she's holding a weapon in her hand. Iosefka didn't have a weapon.

Iosefka also claims she can't open the door for any reason even though youre sick. But then suddenly she wants to open the door to let in sick people?

Yes I agree, I think Willhelm definitely saw the situation for what it was and attempted to start pulling back. But at that point many probably saw him as a coward or Blasphemer (The church) and so those like Laurence decided to continue their research.

Anyone seen this? My curiosity has been peaked. Near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uvKUvfq93c

Apparently there's an item in the root dungeons I haven't found called the Ring Of Betrothal.

(For those who don't want to watch)
Ring Of Betrothal

The inhuman beings known as the Great Ones imbued this ring of betrothal with some special meaning. In the age of the great ones, wedlock was a blood contract, only permitted to those slated to bear a special child

Seems the ring probably belonged to Lady Yarnham

HeelPower

i think older sister since she told the lil girl to stay put when you talk to her. so maybe she knows how to get around the city better. but man, so dark and disturbing.

yup, all the same stuff. HeelPower said she didn't get eaten. he probably confused her with the sister

yup.

I mixed them up.

I gave her the messenger ribbon and then found a girl dead with a white ribbon.I assumed I made a mistake somewhere..guess not.

Girl by the ladder is the older one.Girl in the pig tunnel is the younger one :(

LiK

No, the imposter doctor is the one who gets pregnant. As soon as you defeat Father Gascoigne, Iosefka is replaced by the imposter. You can see this because if you look through the crack in the window after killin Father G, she's holding a weapon in her hand. Iosefka didn't have a weapon.

yea, i agree with this. the impostor is trying all sorts of experiements on people to help herself. that's what i gathered from her sidequest.

yup.

I mixed them up.

I gave her the messenger ribbon and then found a girl dead with a white ribbon.I assumed I made a mistake somewhere..guess not.

Girl by the ladder is the older one.Girl in the pig tunnel is the younger one :(

it's pretty cruel. the sweetest NPC we meet has the most grisly murder.

Iosefka also claims she can't open the door for any reason even though youre sick. But then suddenly she wants to open the door to let in sick people?
Ooh very astute. Does she only offer for sick people after Father G?

I wonder why she has the entrance to the poison lake then. Did she have contact with the aliens beforehand, and she didn't let you in? That's a short frame of time for her to get taken over or whatever.

Shit I had to walk away from the credits, I figured she was just a Zealot. Can you enlighten me?

Uthred

Shit I had to walk away from the credits, I figured she was just a Zealot. Can you enlighten me?

Literally all we *know* is that in the credit theres Doctor Iosfeka and Iosfeka Impostor. We can speculate given the Impostor's outfit and spell use that she's a member of the choir and is turning people into kin for some reason

Afrodium

Banned
I think you are over simplifying the plot of Dark Souls, and mostly because we are familiar with it now. Bloodborne is what, two weeks old? Did we have everything figured out with the previous games in two weeks? Because I don't recall.

When I talk about the plot of Dark Souls, I'm referring to them events that happen between the start of the game and the closing cinematic. I would classify something such as the Witch of Izalith trying and failing to rekindle the first flame as lore. What I wrote is no doubt a simplification, but it's the main story beats and goals for each point in the journey. Once each goal is met, the player is almost immediately given another. For example, when the bells are rung, Frampt tells you to go to Anor Londo. At every point in the game my character has a reason for being where he is and a goal he's working towards.

In Bloodborne I felt like after the Cathedral Ward my character was only exploring new areas because they were the next level. What reason does our character have for going through the Forbidden Woods or the Unseen Village?

Literally all we *know* is that in the credit theres Doctor Iosfeka and Iosfeka Impostor. We can speculate given the Impostor's outfit and spell use that she's a member of the choir and is turning people into kin for some reason
Oh shit, the guy who wakes you up wears Choir face wrappings and clothes. Maybe he's the imposter, and that's where he goes?

When I talk about the plot of Dark Souls, I'm referring to them events that happen between the start of the game and the closing cinematic. I would classify something such as the Witch of Izalith trying and failing to rekindle the first flame as lore. What I wrote is no doubt a simplification, but it's the main story beats and goals for each point in the journey. Once each goal is met, the player is almost immediately given another. For example, when the bells are rung, Frampt tells you to go to Anor Londo. At every point in the game my character has a reason for being where he is and a goal he's working towards.

In Bloodborne I felt like after the Cathedral Ward my character was only exploring new areas because they were the next level. What reason does our character have for going through the Forbidden Woods or the Unseen Village?
You go through the forest to reach Byrgenwyrth, which you know the password door guards. Don't know about unseen village except to find the baby, and it's probably there.

Has anyone ever actually sent someone to the clinic? Everyone seems to go chapel. I want to know what happens.

The game is about that! You, the player, absorb three umbilical cords to become an infant Elder!

I think kin = Old Ones. Your stat page has damage vs. Kin and damage vs. Beasts listed separately. The kin icon has a little tentacle on it.

After killing Rom, you receive a message telling you to find and kill the nightmare infant (Mergo). Not much context, but it's something. Though there's no clear motivation to visit Byrgenwerth after killing Amelia IIRC.

Has anyone ever actually sent someone to the clinic? Everyone seems to go chapel. I want to know what happens.

I believe they get turned into a blue alien creature.

LiK

a lot of what happens in the clinic relates to Upper Cathedral, i think. the same alien guys and Insight suckers. and now you mention Choir. pretty damn cool

Uthred

They get turned into mushroom guys/jelly heads, you can kill them later when you come in the back (its the easy way to get the +50 beasthood rune from the cannibal)

GorillaJu

Ooh very astute. Does she only offer for sick people after Father G?

I wonder why she has the entrance to the poison lake then. Did she have contact with the aliens beforehand, and she didn't let you in? That's a short frame of time for her to get taken over or whatever.

I'm not sure why it happens so quick or what exactly happens but if you go to Iosefka to get a vial refill like 4-5 times before killing Father G, she sounds extremely kind and loving, says she wants to one day meet you when she can open her door, etc.

Kill Father G and her entire story changes, she's got a weapon now in her hand and she suddenly wants you to bring her patients to 'save'.

HeelPower

it's pretty cruel. the sweetest NPC we meet has the most grisly murder.

You'd think there would be a way to keep them safe in the game.

I appload FROM for how far they went ,but it honestly was one of the most shocking moments I've ever had in any game..The ladder moment was just sheer horror.

LiK

same here, sending the cannibal tot he clinich gives you all the rewards without fighting him. altho i am curious about his storyline. maybe i'll try it in NG+

You'd think there would be a way to keep them safe in the game.

I appload FROM for how far they went ,but it honestly was one of the most shocking moments I've ever had in any game..The ladder moment was just sheer horror.

i'm imagining Miyazaki with an evil grin when people discovered what happened to her lol

After killing Rom, you receive a message telling you to find and kill the nightmare infant (Mergo). Not much context, but it's something. Though there's no clear motivation to visit Byrgenwerth after killing Amelia IIRC.

I believe they get turned into a blue alien creature.

They get turned into mushroom guys/jelly heads, you can kill them later when you come in the back (its the easy way to get the +50 beasthood rune from the cannibal)

i sent there the guy from forbidden woods
later in the clinic, a blue corpse dropped the beast rune
I got the Beast Rune without sending anyone there. I think there were 3 or 4 blue guys total. Again, I never sent anyone. Did you guys see more blue people than 3 or 4?

Afrodium

Banned
You go through the forest to reach Byrgenwyrth, which you know the password door guards. Don't know about unseen village except to find the baby, and it's probably there.

But why do I want to go to Byrgenwerth in the first place or find the baby? What stake does the player character have in any of this? I guess what I'm saying is that halfway through the game there's a huge shift from being about hunting monsters to cosmic gods and Lovecraftian horrors but at no point does the character get brought up to speed. The story of the game is that a hunter ran around killing shit, started running into aliens and gods and just killed them too and then at the end becomes a God himself because he just killed everything without any reason.

After killing Rom, you receive a message telling you to find and kill the nightmare infant (Mergo). Not much context, but it's something. Though there's no clear motivation to visit Byrgenwerth after killing Amelia IIRC

I completely missed this. Is it just text on the screen?

ExVicis

So is Rom a great one or a person who was elevated to the position of Great One? Because while fighting Micolash I got the impression that Rom was maybe a human or something that was elevated to their current position.

I'm not sure why it happens so quick or what exactly happens but if you go to Iosefka to get a vial refill like 4-5 times before killing Father G, she sounds extremely kind and loving, says she wants to one day meet you when she can open her door, etc.

Kill Father G and her entire story changes, she's got a weapon now in her hand and she suddenly wants you to bring her patients to 'save'.

I will admit, I only talked to Iosefka after I had kill Gascoigne, so I found her fishy from what was for me, the get go. So I pretty much just broke contact until I met her later in the game.

some one should try to speak with the impostor, been asked to bring people to the clinic, kill her, and see if later is still possible to sent people there, and if so see what happens

HeelPower

These are probably very rudimentary questions but :

Is the hunt a daily occurrence in Yharnam ? Why and in what way is this hunt different than any others ?

Is a day/night cycle in Yharnam different than the conventional cycle ?

Uthred

I got the Beast Rune without sending anyone there. I think there were 3 or 4 blue guys total. Again, I never sent anyone. Did you guys see more blue people than 3 or 4?

You can only get the +50 beast rune from the cannibal, you can get the lesser beat rune elsewhere. My first character I didnt send anybody when I came in the back there was only one blue guy in the entire clinic (well two but one was dead on a table). With my current character I sent one character to the clinic, when I went in the back there was an extra blue guy (so 2 total, 3 including the dead one).

GorillaJu

Is the hunt a daily occurrence in Yharnam ? Why and in what way is this hunt different than any others ?

Yes it's definitely different. Not every night has a hunt if I understand correctly—only on full/blood moon nights?

Uthred

So is Rom a great one or a person who was elevated to the position of Great One? Because while fighting Micolash I got the impression that Rom was maybe a human or something that was elevated to their current position.

Thats the prevailing opinion and the evidence points to it as you say. Whats unclear is if the other Great Ones were also human/pthumerian/terrestrial life at some point (though I think its safe to say that Kos at least is entirely extra-terrestrial in origin as he can uplift people to Great One-hood)

Yes it's definitely different. Not every night has a hunt if I understand correctly—only on full/blood moon nights?

Presumably only when theres a Hunters moon (boom tish)

LiK

not daily but happens occasionally. ENB's latest video mentions that the whore gives you some info that she's been through the hunts a few times already. but it does last only one night each time. basically, everything we did happened in one night.

Top Bottom