• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

These are probably very rudimentary questions but :

Is the hunt a daily occurrence in Yharnam ? Why and in what way is this hunt different than any others ?

Is a day/night cycle in Yharnam different than the conventional cycle ?

The night cycle seems standard. Dusk, Night, Dawn.

The hunt could theoretically be based on the birth of an Elder One.

Afrodium

Banned
Is Yharnam's bloody stomach supposed to indicate that the baby was surgically removed? Church healers use surgeon's gloves.

I also went back to her after defeating the Wet Nurse and she vanishes in front of your eyes.

LiK

Is Yharnam's bloody stomach supposed to indicate that the baby was surgically removed? Church healers use surgeon's gloves.

I also went back to her after defeating the Wet Nurse and she vanishes in front of your eyes.

so that's what happens to her. i didn't know who that was. i killed her before fighting the Wet Nurse, lol

no drops tho

Yes, immediately after you spawn at the Lordvessel looking thing at Yahar'gul after killing Rom.

Found it on a Youtube playthrough. After killing Rom and spawning at Yahar'gul, the player receives a text prompt that says "Ritual secret broken. Seek the nightmare newborn." Not much to go on, but I have a feeling that won't stop you...heh heh heh

ExVicis

These are probably very rudimentary questions but :

Is the hunt a daily occurrence in Yharnam ? Why and in what way is this hunt different than any others ?

Is a day/night cycle in Yharnam different than the conventional cycle ?

It seemed to me that the hunt was something that Yharnam dealt with all the time since they started. A lot of items read that they had a sickness or disease they couldn't figure out (Probably why there's so many goddamn coffins and headstones all over the goddamn place) that made them become beasts. This one seemed different, I think, because the Great Ones were heavily involved.

What it seemed to me was Bergenwerth, the Church and the Choir all found out about the Great Ones and in an attempt to contact them and use them to escape this disease. They began to obsessively try to communicate and emulate them that they instead of succumbing to the Beast they went the other way around and became something else entirely inhuman. Thus this night became about both Beasts and about the Great Ones.

The day and night Cycle seems not to be different, I think it's different this hunt because of the Great Ones and their affinity for the Moon.

Uthred

I assumed it was a horrific visual to suggest a miscarriage/stillborn great one (there is something about every great ones child being stillborn so they seek a replacement, though I cant remember where in the game you read it) . Though (and perhaps it was because my character was female), thats roughly the spot the moon presence kisses, maybe she didnt have enough cosmic umbilical cord to "connect" and that was the result?

I assumed it was a horrific visual to suggest a miscarriage/stillborn great one (there is something about every great ones child being stillborn so they seek a replacement, though I cant remember where in the game you read it) . Though (and perhaps it was because my character was female), thats roughly the spot the moon presence kisses, maybe she didnt have enough cosmic umbilical cord to "connect" and that was te result?

Yharnam doesn't seem to be a great one, so I'd say she was used as a surrogate mother for an infant great one (Mergo) who was taken from her and placed in the care of the Wet Nurse (an actual great one, according to its trophy).

ExVicis

Thats the prevailing opinion and the evidence points to it as you say. Whats unclear is if the other Great Ones were also human/pthumerian/terrestrial life at some point (though I think its safe to say that Kos at least is entirely extra-terrestrial in origin as he can uplift people to Great One-hood)
It makes sense as well when you consider that Rom, for a Great One, really didn't have all that much it could do to defend itself and seemed actually scared of you as a hunter.

LiK

Yharnam doesn't seem to be a great one, so I'd say she was used as a surrogate mother for an infant great one (Mergo) who was taken from her and placed in the care of the Wet Nurse (an actual great one, according to its trophy).

this makes sense.

so the Great Ones are just asshole alien parasites.

this makes sense.

so the Great Ones are just asshole alien parasites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uvKUvfq93c

Apparently there's an item in the root dungeons I haven't found called the Ring Of Betrothal.

(For those who don't want to watch)
Ring Of Betrothal

The inhuman beings known as the Great Ones imbued this ring of betrothal with some special meaning. In the age of the great ones, wedlock was a blood contract, only permitted to those slated to bear a special child

Seems the ring probably belonged to Lady Yarnham

Yea, I need to find this item.

Uthred

Yeah, didnt mean to imply that Yharnam was a Great One, just that she may have been, as you say, a surrogate for one.

ExVicis

So did anyone else think those Mensis cages on the background corpses were torture devices up until millions of them started appearing?

Those little guys totally looked like aliens (as in classic grays) but I shrugged it off
To be honest, when I first saw them in the Forbidden Woods I thought they were Mushroom men or Fungi People or something

In Yar'hgoul/upper church did anyone figure out what happened to those people who are emanating light and turned into statues of sort? Ashen statues.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Those little guys totally looked like aliens (as in classic grays) but I shrugged it off

Clearly, Bloodborne is just viral marketing for the return of the x-files :eek:

LiK

Clearly, Bloodborne is just viral marketing for the return of the x-files :eek:

the Great One boss is called the Celestial Emissary. i was like, holy shit, aliens lol

So did anyone else think those Mensis cages on the background corpses were torture devices up until millions of them started appearing?

They potentially could of been used by for both a form of torture or forced communion for no followers, and as something for the most devout as well.

Uthred

The whole Cthulhu mythos inspired setting would almost dictate aliens considering the vast majority of the gods and monsters in it are of extra-terrestrial origin. But the game has plenty of evidence that theres "something out there" (and its trying to impregnate our women/us/reality)

Jaeger

hpuxpEO.jpg

I love this game.

HeelPower

My worst experience with the aliens was with the two "magician types" in the forbidden woods valley.

They were harder than the boss....

LiK

My worst experience with the aliens was with the two "magician types" in the forbidden woods valley.

They were harder than the boss....

haha, that was an awful ambush considering how freakin' tiring the Woods was to explore. i was freaking out when they were shooting magic. didn't wanna die before i got to the next shortcut.

HeelPower

haha, that was an awful ambush considering how freakin' tiring the Woods was to explore. i was freaking out when they were shooting magic. didn't wanna die before i got to the next shortcut.

I am pretty sure I lost 50k blood to them... :v

Their attacks are really high damage and track well...Plus they have a physical type supporting them.

I probably suck at this game too..lol

Astral

Is Demon's Souls the only Souls game where the NPCs don't suffer a horrible fate? I think Ostrava is the only one who dies. In Dark Souls everyone eventually goes Hollow and you're forced to kill them all and here they all completely lose their minds and/or die. Dark Souls 2 NPCs didn't suffer any horrible fates I guess but it's hard to give a shit about most of them imo.

LiK

I am pretty sure I lost 50k blood to them... :v

Their attacks are really high damage and track well...Plus they have a physical type supporting them.

I probably suck at this game too..lol

i used a tree to block the shots and then ran in and just went crazy.

Is Demon's Souls the only Souls game where the NPCs don't suffer a horrible fate? I think Ostrava is the only one who dies. In Dark Souls everyone eventually goes Hollow and you're forced to kill them all and here they all completely lose their minds and/or die. Dark Souls 2 NPCs didn't suffer any horrible fates I guess but it's hard to give a shit about most of them imo.

yea, my only gripe with BB is that not many NPCs are that interesting. i didn't care about most of them.

HeelPower

not daily but happens occasionally. ENB's latest video mentions that the whore gives you some info that she's been through the hunts a few times already. but it does last only one night each time. basically, everything we did happened in one night.

The night cycle seems standard. Dusk, Night, Dawn.

The hunt could theoretically be based on the birth of an Elder One.

It seemed to me that the hunt was something that Yharnam dealt with all the time since they started. A lot of items read that they had a sickness or disease they couldn't figure out (Probably why there's so many goddamn coffins and headstones all over the goddamn place) that made them become beasts. This one seemed different, I think, because the Great Ones were heavily involved.

What it seemed to me was Bergenwerth, the Church and the Choir all found out about the Great Ones and in an attempt to contact them and use them to escape this disease. They began to obsessively try to communicate and emulate them that they instead of succumbing to the Beast they went the other way around and became something else entirely inhuman. Thus this night became about both Beasts and about the Great Ones.

The day and night Cycle seems not to be different, I think it's different this hunt because of the Great Ones and their affinity for the Moon.

Are there basically two Major Hunt events in the game we know of ?

Our Hunt and the Old Yharnam Hunt ?

Do you guys think it's a coincidence that the blue men always show up near plant life? Those orphanage flowers are freaky.

I sort of got the impression that the blue dudes were independent from the spiders. There's like three camps of great ones:

Spiders
Slugs (Upper Cathy Ward mobs, Ebreitas, Moon)
Aliens

First two share tentacles in common, maybe spiders are all former humans?

Astral

i used a tree to block the shots and then ran in and just went crazy.

yea, my only gripe with BB is that not many NPCs are that interesting. i didn't care about most of them.

I think I cared about all of them except for that clever guy and the old lady, though the old lady's death is pretty fucked up. Arianna and Adella gave me their blood so I'm cool with them. Watching Adella go insane and Arianna do nothing but sob after giving birth to that thing was depressing to me. And of course there's the little girl and her sister. Darkest shit in this game.

LiK

I think I cared about all of them except for that clever guy and the old lady, though the old lady's death is pretty fucked up. Arianna and Adella gave me their blood so I'm cool with them. Watching Adella go insane and Arianna do nothing but sob after giving birth to that thing was depressing to me. And of course there's the little girl and her sister. Darkest shit in this game.

wait, who's Adella. i missed this didn't i? lol

ExVicis

Do you guys think it's a coincidence that the blue men always show up near plant life? Those orphanage flowers are freaky.

I sort of got the impression that the blue dudes were independent from the spiders. There's like three camps of great ones:

Spiders
Slugs (Upper Cathy Ward mobs, Ebreitas, Moon)
Aliens

First two share tentacles in common, maybe spiders are all former humans?
I think they're all aliens. Just the blue ones seem to be the most human-like so I have to wonder if they're naturally like that.

GorillaJu

Wait, insight literally means you're getting eyes inside your head? Didn't some lore note say that Willem wanted to line the inside of his skull with eyes or some shit.

I think they're all aliens. Just the blue ones seem to be the most human-like so I have to wonder if they're naturally like that.
Hmmm that makes sense. What's Oedon then? He's connected to blood right? Is he connected with the beast plague as well?

convo

I liked the NPCs in BloodBorne the most out of all the souls games.

I am probably an exception.

Most will have missed them the first time through. Give people some time to discover ,it took years for people to understand the npcs in Dark souls.

Striek

Just finished the game and all I want to say is what a dumb, predictable and probably most popular Souls ending the Honoring Wishes ending is. They all sound pretty dumb truth be told from a quick wiki'ing though.

ExVicis

Hmmm that makes sense. What's Oedon then? He's connected to blood right? Is he connected with the beast plague as well?
Odeon I think is maybe just a dead Great One like Amygdala maybe? At least since the the statues kinda look like that. My best guess anyway.

In terms of the Plague I think it's independent of the Old Ones. At least an items mentions that beastly aspects seem to come from a more human place.

Top Bottom