• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

ElFly

Also, why did the sack people suddenly vanish after Rom is defeated? I noticed some of their bodies on the street in Yahar'Gul too.

Have you even gone to the old prison after defeating Rom?

There are three hunters inside that are super hardcore as fuck.

Of course they killed the sack guys.

Elios83

I think it happened in phases. Some other people earlier have wrote better timelines, but mine is

-Byrgenwerth finds Yharnam the white queen in the old chalice dungeons.
-They start experimenting with blood ministration and it's all good times for a while.
-First problems with blood appear. The church is formed.
-The church finds the slugs in the dungeons. The church takes them over and eventually summon Ebrietas from them.
-Blood Beasts appear. The church creates the hunters.
-Ebrietas and the Celestial Emissary create their own wing, the Choir.
-Mensis, probably an offshot from Byrgenwerth, discovers that the Great Ones inhabit the dream dimension by default.
-Someone -probably Kosmos, Ebrietas' father- transforms Rom, some Byrgenwerth student, into the Vacuous Spider.
-The Vacuous spider has the power to create a veil to keep the Great ones hidden from the populace.
-The church closes Byrgenwerth.
-Using the veil, Mensis and the Choir stop being reluctant over their experiments and start bringing more and more Great Ones from the dream dimension, since they will be kept hidden from the people.
-the game.

I don't think so; only hunters get to go to the hunter dream, and the people who go to the nightmare frontier do not seem anchored to that place like your hunter.

Wait you seem to think that the veil Rom creates is a positive thing that the Church uses to hide their doings but it seems the opposite to me.
It's their main obstacle to perform the red moon ritual. It prevents them to get in contact with the great beings, getting their knowledge and mixing races by giving birth to human great ones. One of key goals behind the hunting might pretty well be Gehrnam helping the moon presence to find a hunter going to Byrgenwerth and killing Rom.

Wait you seem to think that the veil Rom creates is a positive thing that the Church uses to hide their doings but it seems the opposite to me.
It's their main obstacle to perform the red moon ritual. It prevents them to get in contact with the great beings, getting their knowledge and mixing races by giving birth to human great ones. One of key goals behind the hunting might pretty well be Gehrnam helping the moon presence to find a hunter going to Byrgenwerth and killing Rom.
Rom obviously doesn't stop any kind of communication between the church and the great ones, nor does he stop whatever's going on in Iosefka's clinic :)

Also yeah I stand corrected on his bone. But if the Hunter is that dead, then Gehrman must be like unbelievably dead.

ElFly

It may go either way, but it seems to me that Moon Presence benefitted more of Rom being gone, so hunters could get stronger, than the other way.

The church wasn't hindered by not being able to summon things. Their problem was that Amygdalas are conspicuous as fuck, and Rom hiding them from people without enough insight is a win for them. The problem is that they had not a way to stop Rom when they were ready to complete the ritual.

Not 100% that everyone was on the same side, let alone which side was which. IMHO: Rom and the Church were on one side, happy to use the veil to bring their own great ones, and Mensis and the Moon Presence were on the other side, wanting to end Rom so they could create their own old ones. Remember that at one point there's a memo saying that the spider keeps their master from them. That was probably someone from Mensis.

Apathy

Oh, man. This makes sense.

In game description:

"The bone of an old hunter whose name is lost.

It is said that he was an apprentice to old Gehrman, and a practitioner of the art of Quickening, a technique particular to the first hunters.

It is most appropriate that hunters, carriers of the torch who are sustained by the dream, would tease an old art from his remains. "

I don't think it would be saying it could be Gehrman's bone and he was his own apprentice unless the game wants to purposefully throw us off

Elios83

Rom obviously doesn't stop any kind of communication between the church and the great ones, nor does he stop whatever's going on in Iosefka's clinic :)

But then there's nothing stopping the great ones from doing whatever they wanted to do since the beginning, instead it's clear that something is triggered by the death of Rom involving the great ones.
Also the church communicating with great ones is a bit misleading, they're all monsters at this point.
The Choir used to communicate and observe the cosmos with Ebrietas in the past though.
But lol yeah it's very confusing.

It may go either way, but it seems to me that Moon Presence benefitted more of Rom being gone, so hunters could get stronger, than the other way.

The church wasn't hindered by not being able to summon things. Their problem was that Amygdalas are conspicuous as fuck, and Rom hiding them from people without enough insight is a win for them. The problem is that they had not a way to stop Rom when they were ready to complete the ritual.

Not 100% that everyone was on the same side, let alone which side was which. IMHO: Rom and the Church were on one side, happy to use the veil to bring their own great ones, and Mensis and the Moon Presence were on the other side, wanting to end Rom so they could create their own old ones. Remember that at one point there's a memo saying that the spider keeps their master from them. That was probably someone from Mensis.

But Mensis is a branch of the church right? The other being the Choir. Mensis people went crazy when they accessed to the nightmare dimension and the red moon ritual was performed for the first time. I don't remember the game talking about conflicting interested between Mensis and the Choir or I missed something.
Also what's stopping the Moon Presence from doing what it wants to do anyway if it's not Rom?

But then there's nothing stopping the great ones from doing whatever they wanted to do since the beginning, instead it's clear that something is triggered by the death of Rom involving the great ones.
Also the church communicating with great ones is a bit misleading, they're all monsters at this point.
The Choir used to communicate and observe the cosmos with Ebrietas in the past though.
But lol yeah it's very confusing.
Err I'd argue that it's not clear that Rom does anything at all other than after you kill him you absorb his knowledge (which the Doll alludes to), allowing you to see things that you can only see with high insight. As you said, nothing else changes at all. Even the blood moon is a common part of the hunt progressing, and the change in cycle explains everything that changes in Yahar'gul.

The Choir has also been communicating with Ebreitas specifically since the beginning of their existence. The monsters probably exist solely to communicate even further (considering CE drops the communion rune), and Blood Ministration itself only exists to talk to the Great Ones (drinking blood returns humans to their beastial instinct, allowing them to spend more time around the Great Ones without frenzying).

There are also notes all over the place that Rom is a tragic and harmless figure. He only hides what he knows because he's vacuous. You're not vacuous, so when you absorb his blood you get his knowledge.

All of your assertions are based on assumptions that largely ignore most of what happens in the game.

I'd love to see your explanations for how touching Laurence's skull breaks the "Veil of Twilight" and allows the full night to come, or how Blood Starved Beast was clearly guarding the "Veil of Locked Chapel Doors".

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Err I'd argue that it's not clear that Rom does anything at all other than after you kill him you absorb his knowledge (which the Doll alludes to), allowing you to see things that you can only see with high insight. As you said, nothing else changes at all. Even the blood moon is a common part of the hunt progressing, and the change in cycle explains everything that changes in Yahar'gul.

The Choir has also been communicating with Ebreitas specifically since the beginning of their existence. The monsters probably exist solely to communicate even further (considering CE drops the communion rune), and Blood Ministration itself only exists to talk to the Great Ones (drinking blood returns humans to their beastial instinct, allowing them to spend more time around the Great Ones without frenzying).

There are also notes all over the place that Rom is a tragic and harmless figure. He only hides what he knows because he's vacuous. You're not vacuous, so when you absorb his blood you get his knowledge.

All of your assertions are based on assumptions that largely ignore most of what happens in the game.

I'd love to see your explanations for how touching Laurence's skull breaks the "Veil of Twilight" and allows the full night to come, or how Blood Starved Beast was clearly guarding the "Veil of Locked Chapel Doors".

YES! Exactly! I'm glad someone is on my side on this one haha

Elios83

So what's the point of the the story in the game? :D
If Great Ones can do whatever they want since the beginning. What's the point of the hunter defeating this or that enemy, going to Byrgenwerth, then the Mensis Nightmare?
It all seems pointless, their presence is irrelevant they're arriving at the end of a story already written which can't be changed.

Gbraga

If Great Ones can do whatever they want since the beginning. What's the point of the hunter defeating this or that enemy, going to Byrgenwerth, then the Mensis Nightmare?
It all seems pointless, their presence is irrelevant they're arriving at the end of a story already written which can't be changed.

My mind isn't made up on the "relevance of Rom" subject, but our entire existence being pointless is part of the theme though, isn't it?

Plus, it isn't uncommon at all for Miyazaki's games. I'd like to say that around 90% of Dark Souls' story takes place before you start the game, and all you do is either follow Gwyndolin's plans perfectly, potentially without ever even realizing Gwyndolin exists or even that there was a choice in the end, or you can uncover what happened in Lordran, meet Kaathe and find the truth. The story was already written, all you do is uncover it.

ElFly

That's different; killing Rom makes the Amygdalas visible, and the Amygdalas were in those places before killing Rom.

There's definitely something more to it than just "advancing time in game".

But Mensis is a branch of the church right? The other being the Choir. Mensis people went crazy when they accessed to the nightmare dimension and the red moon ritual was performed for the first time. I don't remember the game talking about conflicting interested between Mensis and the Choir or I missed something.
Also what's stopping the Moon Presence from doing what it wants to do anyway if it's not Rom?

Mensis strikes me as a more scientific community; after all, to get to the nightmare of mensis you need to go through the Lecture Building.

I assume that they were not part of the church, or at least, if that college was related to the church, it must have been a monetary relationship or something.

I couldn't tell you. I don't think the Great Ones care all that much about what people do though, unless it's time to make children. If everything went according to plan (first ending) it's easy to say there wasn't a point at all, or at least nothing really changes. I'm not sure where the moon presence and the child and all that fit in... But that doesn't relate to Rom haha.

And the Great Ones have been doing what they've wanted, that's why everything's gone to shit haha.

That's different; killing Rom makes the Amygdalas visible, and the Amygdalas were in those places before killing Rom.

What's different? I agree with what you're saying, I don't see how that makes a difference haha. Rom knew basically everything, so you get his insight and learn about the Great One children when you absorb his blood.

I'd argue the moon turning red is a "things are progressing in time" kind of thing, and that's what makes all the people in Yahar'gul go crazy, because it's go time. They knew that would happen because that happens with every major hunt (Old Yharnam).

Like I said, major things happen when you kill a lot of bosses, in fact that triggers all changes in the moon. Doesn't realy mean anything haha.

Mafro

Have you even gone to the old prison after defeating Rom?

There are three hunters inside that are super hardcore as fuck.

Of course they killed the sack guys.
Ah of course! Can't wait for the guide to come out, so much lore to read up on.

cakely

So, wait ... if that was Mensis's school at the end of the Unseen Village, does that mean that the "Bag men" were all part of his cult?

And after you defeat Rom, that cult has been completely wiped out by the three hunters and the angry bestial "villlage people"?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Cure your hunter and end the blight possibly. Obviously it escalated later on when you found out about the Great Ones and the other factions shenanigans

I remember the Doll telling you that you were 'sick' the first time you talk to her or something, and this falls in line with the Souls series storylines, no? Your character is always trying to cure himself and then ends up doing something greater

you can see them before killing Rom with 40 insight though

cakely

Also, wow, Mensis is going to be extremely disappointed when he tries to wake up after you defeat him in his nightmare.

I think Moonside Lake Rom is only living in a Dream state and Real World Rom is the dead husk at the Altar of Despair in the same way that Micolash is alive in a Dream state in the Nightmare of Mensis but a dead mummy at the center of the One Reborn ritual. In both situations they are being used as a vessel to create or restore life due to their dual nature of existence being both alive and dead though their "life" hinges on the existence of Nightmares as the gateway between dimensions.

So, wait ... if that was Mensis's school at the end of the Unseen Village, does that mean that the "Bag men" were all part of his cult?

And after you defeat Rom, that cult has been completely wiped out by the three hunters and the angry beastial "villlage people"?
I'm inclined to think not, at least not the last part. All of the mobs that get added to the Village come from Bell Maidens, who seem to be directly involved with whatever Rituals Mensis would want to occur, since they literally beckon something from the moon.

It doesn't really make sense to me though lol

ElFly

I couldn't tell you. I don't think the Great Ones care all that much about what people do though, unless it's time to make children. If everything went according to plan (first ending) it's easy to say there wasn't a point at all, or at least nothing really changes. I'm not sure where the moon presence and the child and all that fit in... But that doesn't relate to Rom haha.

And the Great Ones have been doing what they've wanted, that's why everything's gone to shit haha.

What's different? I agree with what you're saying, I don't see how that makes a difference haha. Rom knew basically everything, so you get his insight and learn about the Great One children when you absorb his blood.

I'd argue the moon turning red is a "things are progressing in time" kind of thing, and that's what makes all the people in Yahar'gul go crazy, because it's go time. They knew that would happen because that happens with every major hunt (Old Yharnam).

Like I said, major things happen when you kill a lot of bosses, in fact that triggers all changes in the moon. Doesn't realy mean anything haha.

Killing Rom does not radically alter your insight -I think you only get two insight for seeing him? and a rune from killing it?-, so I assume that there's another mechanism at play.

Weird part is that only some parts of Yharnam go crazy; the central/starting area is always the same, but maybe it is because there aren't any Amygdala in that area so maybe the people are ignorant of the issue.

test_account

XP-39C²
So is it ever explained what exactly happened in Yahar'Gul? Walking along the street and there's burning bodies in a strange pose in craters along along the road. There's also what looks like people trapped in concrete on the walls as well.

Also, why did the sack people suddenly vanish after Rom is defeated? I noticed some of their bodies on the street in Yahar'Gul too.
Do the sack guys disappear from the whole game afte beating Rom?

Coconut

Banned

And after you defeat Rom, that cult has been completely wiped out by the three hunters and the angry bestial "villlage people"?

But they are wearing YarHagal Hunter attire all these people are working together to bring forth the one reborn.

Killing Rom does not radically alter your insight -I think you only get two insight for seeing him? and a rune from killing it?-, so I assume that there's another mechanism at play.

Weird part is that only some parts of Yharnam go crazy; the central/starting area is always the same, but maybe it is because there aren't any Amygdala in that area so maybe the people are ignorant of the issue.
I think its a non-tangible insight if that makes sense. Like the vision you see isn't quanitifed by the game, but I think it's pretty silly to say everyone saw that. You also get a seemingly non-diegetic "do this thing", which I'd argue you inherently know now after killing Rom.

ElFly

I think its a non-tangible insight if that makes sense. Like the vision you see isn't quanitifed by the game, but I think it's pretty silly to say everyone saw that. You also get a seemingly non-diegetic "do this thing", which I'd argue you inherently know now after killing Rom.

Yeah I am not 100% clear on whether other people see the amygdala too; the people in unseen village are all resurrected by a bell lady. The only one that I met that should have seen something was the old lady and the prostitute that I sent to the cathedral ward, and they are crying into their hands around that time, but by the end of the game the lady gave me tons of sedatives and disappeared, and the prostitute gave birth to a monster so she clearly had bigger issues than an amygdala hanging from the church.

Maybe if I had rescued someone else.

But I assume that if I could see them without insight, other people could too.

What I don't understand is Why all the statues with their eyes covered? I think this is a Choir thing, but Isn't "eyes" need it to communicate with the Great Ones? Why would they build those statues?

Somehow I think that the people you found with their eyes covered are trying to escape or stop seeing things, "what I cannot see, it doesn't exist" right?

ElFly

What I don't understand is Why all the statues with their eyes covered? I think this is a Choir thing, but Isn't "eyes" need it to communicate with the Great Ones? Why would they build those statues?

Somehow I think that the people you found with their eyes covered are trying to escape or stop seeing things, "what I cannot see, it doesn't exist" right?

You get more insight with more eyes, but more insight also drives you crazy.

So people who want to keep their sanity but still commune with the great ones, or who just want to stop the madness, cover their eyes.

Coconut

Banned

That is the general consensus.

My mind isn't made up on the "relevance of Rom" subject, but our entire existence being pointless is part of the theme though, isn't it?

Plus, it isn't uncommon at all for Miyazaki's games. I'd like to say that around 90% of Dark Souls' story takes place before you start the game, and all you do is either follow Gwyndolin's plans perfectly, potentially without ever even realizing Gwyndolin exists or even that there was a choice in the end, or you can uncover what happened in Lordran, meet Kaathe and find the truth. The story was already written, all you do is uncover it.

You find the other face of the coin with kaathe, thinking outside how deceived you were on your first run on Dark Souls, pretty amazing experience.

Someone needed to help the eyes supplies somehow. all the church branch were united in some kind of form, the shadow of yharman are Mensis people too

You get more insight with more eyes, but more insight also drives you crazy.

So people who want to keep their sanity but still commune with the great ones, or who just want to stop the madness, cover their eyes.

So the Choir build the statues to prevent the people from going mad?

Edit: I mean, as a message.

Auctopus

In game description:

"The bone of an old hunter whose name is lost.

It is said that he was an apprentice to old Gehrman, and a practitioner of the art of Quickening, a technique particular to the first hunters.

It is most appropriate that hunters, carriers of the torch who are sustained by the dream, would tease an old art from his remains. "

I don't think it would be saying it could be Gehrman's bone and he was his own apprentice unless the game wants to purposefully throw us off

And that's why we should be using item descriptions as sources lol.

ElFly

So the Choir build the statues to prevent the people from going mad?

Edit: I mean, as a message.

Ah, the statues, missed that.

Prolly?

There are a fuck ton of interesting statues everywhere, but that must be the easiest decoration to do, since you just take an existing 3d model and apply a statuesque texture.

Ah, the statues, missed that.

Prolly?

There are a fuck ton of interesting statues everywhere, but that must be the easiest decoration to do, since you just take an existing 3d model and apply a statuesque texture.

I don't remember every place but I'm sure that everywhere around the Grand Cathedral is full of statues with their hands covering their eyes. I asume is because gaining insight shouldn't be recommended for common folk, it should be a high people matter.

Gbraga

Mensis strikes me as a more scientific community; after all, to get to the nightmare of mensis you need to go through the Lecture Building.

I assume that they were not part of the church, or at least, if that college was related to the church, it must have been a monetary relationship or something.

They're definitely part of the church.

Upper Cathedral Key:

"The upper echelons of the Healing Church are formed by the School of Mensis, based in the Unseen Village, and the Choir occupying the Upper Cathedral Ward."

I assume they were, Yahar'gul Hunter set:

The hunters of Yahar'gul answer to the village's founders, the School of Mensis. Hunters in name only, these kidnappers blend into the night wearing this attire.

Isn't he the body sitting in the chair after One Reborn?

This is a great find.

The password-keeper at the door to Byrgenwerth is proof that these men are able to have some effect on the Nightmare despite being long-dead in the "real" Yarnham. Their minds and wills live on after death.

It's confusing trying to separate what's real and what's dream in Yarnham, or if it's all part of the Nightmare.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's the moon turning them crazy not the Amygdala I think

"When the red moon hangs low, the line between man and beast is blurred"

From Software probably focused on that one area alone (and beyond), because it would be a waste of some valuable development time to go back and replace all the other (low level and useless) older guys with new enraged versions of them :p

This is a great find.

The password-keeper at the door to Byrgenwerth is proof that these men are able to have some effect on the Nightmare despite being long-dead in the "real" Yarnham.

It's confusing trying to separate what's real and what's dream in Yarnham, or if it's all part of the Nightmare.

Regarding that i found out who he is after watching ENB's latest video(totally missed that on my playthroughs)

3lVR7XY.jpg

Elandyll

Banned
Is there a stitched up and formatted collection of all the (known so far) lore somewhere?

Now that I only have Gehrman left, I'd love to catch up on all the lore I've missed while playing :)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Is there a stitched up and formatted collection of all the (known so far) lore somewhere?

Now that I only have Gehrman left, I'd love to catch up on all the lore I've missed while playing :)
Welp, you need to catch up on all the bosses you've missed first! :pp

So have we come to a consensus about who the wheelchair-bound gentleman is at the start who gives you your contract? It doesn't look like Gehrman.

Top Bottom