• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT2| You missed the Conference Call, next time don't Bee late.

Zertez

Interview with Randy about raising the level cap... and how it could break the game.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/07/borderlands-2-level-cap-increase/

didn't see it posted any where.
Hard to believe they didnt plan ahead for raising the level cap especially since they raised it twice for the first game. It is nice they packed a lot of content in the standalone game rather than hold back content for dlc, but they still should have made some type of plan for when they raised the level cap.

If they were afraid of breaking the game with more points invested into the skill tree, they should have come up with something different as a reward for leveling up. Like some have mentioned maybe more badass points, some system like D3 has, AA points ala EQ1, or a new system of their own. Increased levels doesnt always have to translate into more skill points. It may have been the norm in other games, but they dont have to follow others. I know some want more points to complete crazy overpowered builds, but if that isnt an option, give us something else cool instead.

Jezbollah

I say instead of a skil tree point, let's be given a choice of a legendary up to the level of the corresponding level you have just reached. eg I hit level 55, give me a selection of a level 55 SMG, Assault rifle etc.

Pctx

Banned
They really expected everyone to play through 4 dlcs at level 50? Seems like a really strange design choice

Yeah--- you would've thought they learned their lesson from BL1. I'm now 41 commando and I'm debating shelving the game for a while until the cap is raised and more DLC comes out since I haven't played any of it and I'm waiting for a bundle. :)

LycanXIII

5 Gold Keys good through Feb 10:
PC/Mac: C3CBT-RC3XW-9WF33-BTJ3T-SB99J
360: C3CTB-XK695-33Z3R-W6BTB-XJC36
PS3: 53WBJ-T6Z5B-WWWCJ-HBKBB-THTR6

I was beaten to the SHiFT codes, so I'll just say that from that interview, it seems like Randy doesn't follow his own game. It's like he's not even aware of how game breaking certain things in the game already are like The Bee + Evil Smasher glitch. I break down Terramorphous with an Infinity Pistol so damn quick with it.

Marvie_3

Banned
If they were worried about the game being broken, they should just increase the cost of skills after you hit a certain level. Bumping it up to 2 or 3 skill points each time would keep people from maxing out the trees.

rc213

I would love it if they raised it but gave you a choice of legendary gear per level or maybe more locker slots. Can't believe they still limit you so much, after you've beaten the game twice they should give you unlimited space. Part of the fun is collecting loot and having to juggle which loot to keep is annoying.

I would love it if they raised it but gave you a choice of legendary gear per level or maybe more locker slots. Can't believe they still limit you so much, after you've beaten the game twice they should give you unlimited space. Part of the fun is collecting loot and having to juggle which loot to keep is annoying.

I'd take more columns in my backpack and bank. It's exactly what I didn't like about having to try to manage my inventory in Mass Effect. It's cramped for no sensible reason.

Zertez

I would love to have more space in the inventory and bank space, especially shared bank space, but it maybe a technical issue. While running bosses for loot is fun, leveling a new character helps me stay interested in a game when the grind becomes boring. Playing and leveling a new character is a great way to take a break at the same time keeping the person playing the game. In any loot game, people like to save their favorite items and the current limits for a game with "billions of guns", shields, mods etc is too restricting imo. Im a pack rat though and like to save too much junk at times.

One reason I was hooked to mmorpgs for so long is I could transfer good twink gear over and slaughter encounters that gave me a lot of trouble the first time around. It took mmo's awhile to realize this, but they introduced shared bank space and it was great not always needing to have a trusted friend hand over valuable items like a fungal tunic or worse drop it on the ground in a secure location only to lose the item due to bugs, server problems, theft or any number of reasons. Allowing new characters to get past the early trivial parts of the game didnt break mmo's and doubtful it would break BL2.

I know increasing the shared bank and vault space will be a burden on the db and the engine, which iirc UE3 has a problem with on consoles, maybe Im mistaken though. As it is now, transferring 4 items at a time is ok, but first getting a character to Sanctuary then transferring 4 items at a time is too time consuming when you want to start up a new character.

Maybe there is a way to access claptraps home locker before Sanctuary, but I dont know how. They should make that locker open to new characters from the start. It would make the trip to Sanctuary trivial for a newly created twink, but for people who have lvl 50 characters, it is already trivial. It wouldnt break anything for new players, but it would get rid of some of the headaches for higher lvl characters imo. I know some only see more skill points with a possible lvl increase, but there is many more ways to reward players for gaining new levels past the initial ceiling that wont break the game.

Edit: I must be hallucinating because I could have sworn claptrap had a shared locker in his home place. Im definitely going crazy and have no idea the restrictions on the locker. Just checked on several characters and it is there after you get to Sanctuary, but then disappears after you beat the game. On Normal mode when I beat the game it is gone, but in Sanctuary. With others characters who havent beaten the difficulty, it is there when reaching Sanctuary, so no idea how it works. It should be open from the start for all new characters imo though.

I also dont see a problem in higher level players becoming overpowered and making boss runs much easier as they gain better gear. It only shortens the time farming for loot. Maybe if this was a competitive game with overpowered pvp rewards this could be an issue, but I dont see the issue rewarding people with 100 plus hours played with the best gear. Mudflation could get out of hand with future dlc/expansions, but that isnt that big of a deal in a single player game imo.

Finding the right distance for the carrot is always the toughest part in games based around loot, but players need to get a bite to keep them interested. That was one of biggest complaints about BL1 pearlescent weapons farming(as well as them not being all that great), D3 had the same issues early on, Too Human gameplay glitches aside the best loot was too far out of reach for even some of the most dedicated players with 100s of hours invested.

Loot driven games should have as much attention spent on the gear as any other part, no matter how fun the gameplay and encounters are, if the chance to see any reward for countless hours of work is so small no one notices, players loose interest. Sorry to ramble, but this has always been an issue with loot based games and almost every game gets it wrong.

Zertez

The game reset my skill points today for some reason. I didnt use the machine, but when I logged on, I had all points returned. I didnt download any update, so I dont think they nerfed or changed a skill that I have seen so far. Wonder if this in preparation for increasing the level cap and they are already making unannounced changes, I didnt download any update, so it is strange. Any one had a bug with skill points resetting?

Just hit level 50 on my second playthrough. Would love some people to play with/do some bosses etc etc

I have quite a lot of good purples due to saving up a nice stash of keys, but if anyone wants to help out and to farm some better weapons I would love to do so.

PC gamer so my Steam ID is atomsmasher13 - please do add me!

zychi

Banned
It's not a technical issue. There are lots of people running around with modded backpacks that give them hundreds of slots.

yup, i'm one of them. easily the worst thing about the game for me besides the dumb level cap. enjoyed the crap out of my first playthrough.

Marvie_3

Banned
The game reset my skill points today for some reason. I didnt use the machine, but when I logged on, I had all points returned. I didnt download any update, so I dont think they nerfed or changed a skill that I have seen so far. Wonder if this in preparation for increasing the level cap and they are already making unannounced changes, I didnt download any update, so it is strange. Any one had a bug with skill points resetting?

Did that to me today too.

Violet_0

Banned
got the game during the steam sale, considering picking up the Mechromancer dlc. Is she fun to play? I usually love to play summoner-type characters, but she's rather pricey. On the other hand, Zer0 looks pretty damn cool and is a stealth melee assassin, my other big weakness

Jezbollah

got the game during the steam sale, considering picking up the Mechromancer dlc. Is she fun to play? I usually love to play summoner-type characters, but she's rather pricey. On the other hand, Zer0 looks pretty damn cool and is a stealth melee assassin, my other big weakness

Deathtrap is rubbish, but dont let it put you off the Mechromancer. That character type with a good shock build is an absolute blast to play with.

Gordon

I would love to have more space in the inventory and bank space, especially shared bank space, but it maybe a technical issue.
It is. They mentioned it a while back. Apparently every player has to render every item in your backpack when you join a game, and possibly again when you open your inventory. Having four players with 100+ guns makes the game run really slow. Vault space isn't an issue though.

maomaoIYP

Deathtrap is rubbish, but dont let it put you off the Mechromancer. That character type with a good shock build is an absolute blast to play with.

How is deathtrap rubbish? It's ridiculously strong when upgraded. The mechromancer is the strongest character imo.

Violet_0

Banned
I've decided to play both characters simultaneously while playing with my buddies. Is the Ordered Chaos tree of the Mechromancer viable? Any weapon type suggestions - SMG, assault rifle?

GamerSoul

I've been thinking of paying up for mechromancer too. My first playthrough was with the Siren who is just a blast to play with. Love the game and it was much more expansive in terms of areas, weapons, and side-quests than I ever could have imagined compared to the first. More backpack space would have been nice though since I was a total horder for the first half of the game lol. Ah, after reading Gordon's post I can see why it was limited. Anyways, it is one of my tops games of this generation no doubt.

Zertez

I can imagine increasing backspace being a huge problem for consoles. The vault wouldnt be as bad since the player would be more isolated using it, but it would still be a load on the db. UE3 engine already has enough problems trying to load assets on the PS3 without increased pack space. If everyone on consoles had backspace of 50 plus, a few people could toss dozens of guns on the ground and the game would come to a crawl. I cant imagine what the performance would be like if there was 100 guns on the ground at the same time. On PC's I dont see this being a problem, but for consoles I could see it being a huge technical issue to allow players to have backpacks with 100's of slots.

Jezbollah

How is deathtrap rubbish? It's ridiculously strong when upgraded. The mechromancer is the strongest character imo.

Sorry, I should have clarified why I think Deathtrap is rubbish. It's a technical reason, a lot of the times I experimented with DT he got clipped off-screen, and glitched often. My shock/electrocute with lots of Pep, loaded up with Anarchy with Discord means you very rarely need to pop DT.

Violet_0

Banned
just to clarify, is Anarchy as broken as I think it is? Together with ricocheting bullets the potential damage output seems to be rather ridicules

GamerSoul

I also have a question: How is the Commando and how reliable is his Action Skill turrent thing? So far my Borderlands experience has been playing with Sirens so I want to hear some opinions about him. Zero is out of the question because my brother is using him and we just don't pick the same characters 9.9 times out of 10.

Krelian

I also have a question: How is the Commando and how reliable is his Action Skill turrent thing? So far my Borderlands experience has been playing with Sirens so I want to hear some opinions about him. Zero is out of the question because my brother is using him and we just don't pick the same characters 9.9 times out of 10.
I like the Commando a lot. I've played all character classes and so far it's the only class I leveled all the way up to 50. The turret is immensely helpful. I recommend trying to get the slagged bullets skill in the left tree.

Zertez

just to clarify, is Anarchy as broken as I think it is? Together with ricocheting bullets the potential damage output seems to be rather ridicules
It can seem broken at times, but by design or by a poorly thought scheme, the reload button and open button rely on the same button press on the PS3. Ive lost count on the amount of times Ive lost anarchy in the 100's, because Ive gone to open a box and it reloads cancelling the buff. This is probably not an issue on the PC.

When I go to open a box, the game reloads my gun before opening boxes, but I forget often to reload first. No idea if they knew this would be a side effect or not, but it keeps anarchy somewhat balance due to the players mistake or drive to open boxes as fast as they can.

Is anybody generous enough to give me some free good loot? I'm only a level 12 and would love to have a killer SMG or AR.

Gamertag is MCXC Pioneer and I should be available most of the day

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been any news on upcoming DLC/new characters/level cap raise? I've been away from this game for a while due to wrist surgery and am only now coming back.

Jezbollah

It can seem broken at times, but by design or by a poorly thought scheme, the reload button and open button rely on the same button press on the PS3. Ive lost count on the amount of times Ive lost anarchy in the 100's, because Ive gone to open a box and it reloads cancelling the buff. This is probably not an issue on the PC.

When I go to open a box, the game reloads my gun before opening boxes, but I forget often to reload first. No idea if they knew this would be a side effect or not, but it keeps anarchy somewhat balance due to the players mistake or drive to open boxes as fast as they can.

You can stop losing your stack if you fire and reload again.

Also. Commando turret vs double guns and rockets = sex wee. I tore through the game with the Commando more-so than the rest of my characters. Very good for tanking in front of mobs while you flank them.

Jrmint

Has there been any news on upcoming DLC/new characters/level cap raise? I've been away from this game for a while due to wrist surgery and am only now coming back.
I saw a link on Joystiq today that Randy said it is 100% we will see a level cap this year. No more specifics than that.

I'd link but isn't Joystiq banned here? It's an article from today so shouldn't be too hard to find.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I saw a link on Joystiq today that Randy said it is 100% we will see a level cap this year. No more specifics than that.

I'd link but isn't Joystiq banned here? It's an article from today so shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thanks, I'll look it up. I was interested in getting the season pass but so far it seems most of the DLC that has been released has received an underwhelming response.

dalin80

Banned
Sorry, I should have clarified why I think Deathtrap is rubbish. It's a technical reason, a lot of the times I experimented with DT he got clipped off-screen, and glitched often. My shock/electrocute with lots of Pep, loaded up with Anarchy with Discord means you very rarely need to pop DT.

DT is certainly glitchy at times but its fun throwing him into a massive crowd of enemies then run away behind cover and just watch the carnage, especially once he gets a bit tricked out.

Really love the game up to level 30 but by that point it becomes all about grinding and the weapon power curve requires you to get a new set of weapons every level as opposed to the smooth progression upto level 20 or so. Oh well back to my slot machine and my horrific gambling addiction.

FatBaby

New hot fixes:

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1004/borderlands-2-hot-fixes--2-12

Borderlands 2 Hot Fixes
February 12, 2013

Mechromancer's Prodigy class mod now correctly increases reload speed.
Seraph Gear from Captain Scarlett and Mr. Torgue DLC re-balanced to be more powerful.
Sir Hammerlock DLC: Arizona no longer refuses to spawn if players are too far away.

I wonder if the Seraph thing is retroactive or if I need to purchase the new stuff.

Gordon

I wonder if the Seraph thing is retroactive or if I need to purchase the new stuff.
Sounds retroactive. Players are reporting altered stats on pre-existing weapons. Looks like just the Ahab, Tattler, Seraphim, and Actualizer actually saw changes. That or the rest of the Scarlett ones and the Torgue ones were really subtle.

Insaniac

Sounds retroactive. Players are reporting altered stats on pre-existing weapons. Looks like just the Ahab, Tattler, Seraphim, and Actualizer actually saw changes. That or the rest of the Scarlett ones and the Torgue ones were really subtle.

i have all the torgue ones I'm going to take a look, but its good because seraph weapons were pretty garbage

Zertez

You can stop losing your stack if you fire and reload again.

Also. Commando turret vs double guns and rockets = sex wee. I tore through the game with the Commando more-so than the rest of my characters. Very good for tanking in front of mobs while you flank them.
Yeah, I try to reload before opening boxes, but in a hurry to open the box or finish a run quickly I forget a lot. Normally I dont forget with special boxes, it is the cluster of small boxes with ammo and health. Ive gotten better, but still happens often.

Top Bottom