• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT2| You missed the Conference Call, next time don't Bee late.

Trakan

What are your guys' impressions of UVHM? I've been reading this thread on the BL2 forums and it makes the mode seem more tedious than fun. I don't currently have the Season Pass and I was considering it, but if this is true then I may just buy the story DLCs separately and avoid UVHM entirely.

It's not that bad, but they made it so you pretty much have to use slag and the appropriate element at all times.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's not that bad, but they made it so you pretty much have to use slag and the appropriate element at all times.

Hmm, so I guess that means that unless you're playing with a group, you have to spec into slag skills or carry around a slag weapon at all times? Not sure how I feel about that just yet, maybe I'll look up some videos.

Zertez

There's definitely incentive to buy it when you see your buddies at a higher level demolishing things with crazy skill combos but the value of UVHM for people without the raised level cap is that you can reset the mode as often as you want. This means you can get all the unique quest rewards at whatever level cap without having to save it for later or start a whole new character. Also legendary loot midgets are exclusive to UVHM and it's still more of a challenge in UVHM since the mobs have extra health and minor health regen in exchange for longer slag duration and slightly faster weapon switch.
UVHM definitely provides more of a challenge, but unless you are getting extra levels/skills and better weapons/gear, the headaches that come along with UVHM arent worth it. The problems with UVHM way of increasing difficulty are well known, unless you are rewarded for the tedious bullet sponges and constantly needing to slag enemies then switching to another weapon, playing through UVHM isnt worth it if you are stuck at lvl 50.

It's hard for me to really judge UVHM because I'm so used to steamrolling with Gaige and Salvador that it just turned into steamrolling with some weapon switching. I'm definitely happy that using the right element is actually relevant again though. Really at those levels the only thing I can seeing being really hard about it is if you're really under geared or just poorly specced.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So while I dick around as a level 50 Siren doing all the side quests I started a new Assassin. I'm only level 9 but I'm enjoying playing as him so far, although I'm wondering if I'm going to have the patience to get him all the way to level 50. I kind of wanna get one or two more characters to level 50 before buying Gaige/Krieg, but that will probably take me a ton of time to accomplish.

mileS

What do you mean when you say you can reset stuff in the new difficulty? where and how is that done?

Just curious because theres a chain quest from the dust or w/e, the clan wars. Long story short i'm level 50, I wanted that pistol that drops from one of the sides... but I can't see the quest. I'm guessing because I did it in the previous difficulty? god what a confusing mess that stuff is, I honestly can't even remember. If its a new difficulty, just reset ALL the quests... so annoying and none of that stuff is explained.

Nebula

Am I the only one who didn't mind UVHM? I wasn't one shotting stuff anymore but I liked that to be honest. It gave the game a different way to be played. It does sort of force it though, but that's not entirely bad, especially if you were bored before UVHM came out.

Amon37

What do you mean when you say you can reset stuff in the new difficulty? where and how is that done?

Just curious because theres a chain quest from the dust or w/e, the clan wars. Long story short i'm level 50, I wanted that pistol that drops from one of the sides... but I can't see the quest. I'm guessing because I did it in the previous difficulty? god what a confusing mess that stuff is, I honestly can't even remember. If its a new difficulty, just reset ALL the quests... so annoying and none of that stuff is explained.

(Ps3 explanation)

When you are at title screen press triangle and reload your character when it asks you to pick which mode to play when you highlight UVHM you will get an option to reset using triangle.

When you start UVHM it doesn't matter what quests you completed in other modes they are new again.

The quest you are talking about is the last part of the clan wars. If you killed the wrong side in TVHM you have to use a different character or do treasure runs to get a Maggie. If you did in UVHM and reset you will have to start all way from the beginning of the whole game.

Long story short if you have the scarlet dlc just farm the treasure room for legendaries.

Zertez

Am I the only one who didn't mind UVHM? I wasn't one shotting stuff anymore but I liked that to be honest. It gave the game a different way to be played. It does sort of force it though, but that's not entirely bad, especially if you were bored before UVHM came out.
I dont mind the extra difficulty or if they gave some mobs different effects to change things up, but the UVHM increase in difficulty was poorly thought out and it is a lazy way to make the game harder. Rather than think things out or make interesting changes, they turned enemies into ridiculous bullet sponges that pretty much force you to use slag. Some enemies were already boring bullet sponges that required a lot of bullets and increasing the hp only made things worse. I enjoy difficult games, but games that multiple the hp on mobs in order to make things more difficult fail in that department. Extra hp just means more tedious rather than more difficult. The only system that is worse in trying to make a game more difficult is infinite spawning mobs until you pass imaginary lines.

Once you get use to the new system, the game isnt much harder just more boring and tedious as you apply slag then switch to another weapon to unload endless shots. You really dont need a lot of new strategies, just the ability to move from cover to cover until you finally dwindle down the mobs giant hp pool. Slag was a poorly thought out idea that shouldnt have made it into the final game especially since co-op is a large part of the game. Before now if you had someone on slag duty in co-op, it made killing things much easier, but since most groups used it, they had to tune the game around it. Instead of it being a luxury, it was turned into a necessity. They werent happy with everyone using fire elemental guns in BL1 bc the effect was the most powerful and now they forced everyone to use slag in BL2 at the highest difficultly. Once you get the better gear at lvl 60, things arent as bad, but even then killing/farming bosses and areas is more work than fun now. I think enough people have ranted about it now, so hopefully they will make some changes in the 4th dlc.

Nebula

I dont mind the extra difficulty or if they gave some mobs different effects to change things up, but the UVHM increase in difficulty was poorly thought out and it is a lazy way to make the game harder. Rather than think things out or make interesting changes, they turned enemies into ridiculous bullet sponges that pretty much force you to use slag. Some enemies were already boring bullet sponges that required a lot of bullets and increasing the hp only made things worse. I enjoy difficult games, but games that multiple the hp on mobs in order to make things more difficult fail in that department. Extra hp just means more tedious rather than more difficult. The only system that is worse in trying to make a game more difficult is infinite spawning mobs until you pass imaginary lines.

Once you get use to the new system, the game isnt much harder just more boring and tedious as you apply slag then switch to another weapon to unload endless shots. You really dont need a lot of new strategies, just the ability to move from cover to cover until you finally dwindle down the mobs giant hp pool. Slag was a poorly thought out idea that shouldnt have made it into the final game especially since co-op is a large part of the game. Before now if you had someone on slag duty in co-op, it made killing things much easier, but since most groups used it, they had to tune the game around it. Instead of it being a luxury, it was turned into a necessity. They werent happy with everyone using fire elemental guns in BL1 bc the effect was the most powerful and now they forced everyone to use slag in BL2 at the highest difficultly. Once you get the better gear at lvl 60, things arent as bad, but even then killing/farming bosses and areas is more work than fun now.

I see what you mean. I get really annoyed that AI in some games doesn't improve to make the game more difficult, and they instead bundle better shields/armour to make them tougher. I guess I was just happy with it because I had become pretty bored of the game. I'm pretty bored now, just waiting for Krieg to see if his style of play is something I'll enjoy.

Well hopefully we see less lazy in future updates.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Since I already own the Torgue DLC for free my decision has now become "spend $30 for the Season Pass to level up to 61 vs. spend $30 for the 3 DLC chapters individually and stay at level 50."

Actually what I'm really waiting for is a 50% sale on the DLC. Should have bought it during the Xbox New Years sale.

Amon37

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/comm...lands-2-gear-up-weekend--the-beast-approaches

FYI

Prepare for the arrival of Krieg the Psycho -- the new playable character for Borderlands 2, releasing May 14 -- with special in-game events from May 10 through the end of May 13!
The Bandits of Pandora can feel one of their own approaching and have ramped up the production of Bandit gear accordingly, so expect to see an increase in Bandit gear drops when playing Borderlands 2 while connected to the internet. But watch out! Reports suggest an increased population of Badass Psychos in Lynchwood, Thousand Cuts and Eridium Blight.

Zertez

Interesting. I wish they would do more small events like this time to time. It doesnt have to be a huge world changing event, but something new that would mix certain areas up. For example certain bosses have new effects and different strategies and drop a limited edition piece of gear that can only be attained during the time frame. I know some of the fights are scripted and difficult to change, but other fights adding different enemies or effects shouldnt be too difficult. A huge mmo event would be a ton of fun, but that would take a lot of resources and I understand that isnt reasonable unless a sub fee comes into play. Small events wouldnt take many resources and would help keep people playing and addicted to finding new unique guns.

It is surprising how quickly UVHM killed my friend list. Leading up to the patch, people were begging for months for a level increase and couldnt wait till it was released. Now that the hot mess that is UVHM was released, it has killed my friends list on ps3 and pc in about a month. Only a couple people out of a few dozen play now. I had a good haul tonight and found some solid upgrades, but it sucks not having others to play with. I really hope they make some changes to UVHM, the loot they added is pretty nice, but the grind, boring and tedious slog through UVHM kills my desire to keep playing much longer. I dont see the addition to Krieg helping much either.

what's the cheapest way to get this game? Because I enjoyed the first and want to get me and a few friends in on the second, but steam says that the game is $40 plus $30 for the season pass, and I guess not all DLC is included in the season pass?

Is a lot of the DLC essential? Shit's pricey.

Amon37

what's the cheapest way to get this game? Because I enjoyed the first and want to get me and a few friends in on the second, but steam says that the game is $40 plus $30 for the season pass, and I guess not all DLC is included in the season pass?

Is a lot of the DLC essential? Shit's pricey.

All of the story dlc is included in the season pass I'm not sure if the extra characters or uvhm is since I don't have it.

IMO only Scarlett dlc is essential because you get the treasure room which is by far the best way to get legendary gear, because of the glitch.

Gordon

I wonder if you can put a flame immunity shield on Krieg and still get bonuses for his "on fire" tree.
I would think it would either make him immune and prevent bonuses or over-ride the immunity with a scripted effect. Resistance might work though. (both are worth a shot of course)
What I'm more interested in is what he can do with a Rough Rider on. That shit is like built for him. Give him a Rustler's Quad or a Casual Ravager and let him go to town lol

Edit: Whoa - the Rough Rider page has breakdowns of how the 0 capacity affects each character. Here's what it says about Krieg;
Krieg: Feed the Meat and Embrace the Pain, as well as Krieg's Meat and Legendary Psycho Class Mods, will not have drawbacks due to the fact that there is no recharge delay. Empty the Rage will always present its full bonus and Embrace the Pain will always be on. Fuel the Rampage, Salt the Wound and Release the Beast will work more efficiently since all damage will be health damage.
And that 'Meat' class mod gives all three of it's bonuses to skills that benefit from the Rough Rider, as well as health regen

Anybody have a Rapid Infinity or any other unlimited (if there are any) weapons that would be willing to dupe it?

PSN: Ozzybx

Trying to farm Terramorphous and I keep running out of ammo and it's a bit risky to run down for it.

Edit: Forgot to add, a high level Rapid Infinity, like upper 40's to lower 50's.

Amon37

Anybody have a Rapid Infinity or any other unlimited (if there are any) weapons that would be willing to dupe it?

PSN: Ozzybx

Trying to farm Terramorphous and I keep running out of ammo and it's a bit risky to run down for it.

Edit: Forgot to add, a high level Rapid Infinity, like upper 40's to lower 50's.

I only have a 61 but I'd be willing to dupe it.

I'll add you but my hours of playing are night hours pacific us time. And I'll have to read up on how to dupe since I've never done it before.

I only have a 61 but I'd be willing to dupe it.

I'll add you but my hours of playing are night hours pacific us time. And I'll have to read up on how to dupe since I've never done it before.

Awesome, thank you. You just have to make sure your weapon is saved to your character, toss it on the ground and quit the game from the PS menu. Then when you come back, you have it, and the person it was thrown to has it. I'll make certain that you don't lose anything, of course.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat the Hyperion Slaughter Dome on my level 50 Siren. I did the first 4 rounds legitimately, but then for the fifth round I found a spot where none of the enemies can get at you so I just hung out there for like 45 minutes and Phaselocked/sniped everything with my corrosive Rubi.

Well it's only out for Xbox. Just half an hour more and it'll be out for steam but damn this wait is agonizing. Well I guess I can't complain compared to the PS3 folk.

Since I already own the Torgue DLC for free my decision has now become "spend $30 for the Season Pass to level up to 61 vs. spend $30 for the 3 DLC chapters individually and stay at level 50."

Actually what I'm really waiting for is a 50% sale on the DLC. Should have bought it during the Xbox New Years sale.

The level cap to 61 is awesome. It added a lot of fun to the mix to see that much damage as well asjust the difficulty spike.

Naite

Not 100% certain, but I think inflammable shields work against Kreig's hellborn tree and dont give him those specific boosts.

Got to Sanctuary w Krieg, seems his Bloodlust tree is glitched. I did Pull The Pin first (which is cool, got an early wide splash mod and got kills w it already), then in Bloodlust where you get an extended mag for every bl stack but no icon appears when I'm doing damage and my mags didn't increase. The weapon swap one at least has an icon when I kill someone, but no icon appears for a bloodlust stack (assuming one appears at all). Respec and doing Mania instead.

It's early but I like him, he does what I want him to: go nuts with his power and slice the shit out of enemies while screaming.

GamerSoul

I just beat the Hyperion Slaughter Dome on my level 50 Siren. I did the first 4 rounds legitimately, but then for the fifth round I found a spot where none of the enemies can get at you so I just hung out there for like 45 minutes and Phaselocked/sniped everything with my corrosive Rubi.

I think I did the same thing when I beat it w/o the Rubi though. Man it feels good to beat that Dome.

Well, the Psycho pack is out. Looking forward to reading some impressions on him.

Already? nice can't wait to see him in action when I jump online.

Played a little bit with Kreig (upto Boomboom), loving his action skill, even unmodified it does a lot of damage. Took out the 2 badass bullymongs out on the glacier in the Midge-mong area with no issues. I've decided to play him more close combat than I normally do (My main is Maya with SMG, Assault riffle, Missile Launcher and Sniper), currently using a explosive shotgun and a vladof rapid fire pistol.

And I love the names for the skins and heads:

A3425382C27418C757746F012CEF65EC17412B3D

BF3BCB19289E0315E6B7F7EB6B448C13DBD99759

My only issue so far is he is so massive in the menus, that he completely covers up the right hand side of the inventory when comparing weapons:

Vodh

I've just read that you can get almost all legendaries totally randomly. Is there a list of items that are obtainable solely through a particular boss?

Is getting to 61 even worth it if I have no intention of ever doing the raid bosses and would just like to mow down things solo? Is UVHM a constant challenge, or is it possible to reach the point where you just destroy everything (except for the raid bosses)?

Halcyon

My assassin hit pyro Pete for 1 billion damage-1 yesterday.

My siren with a slow hand set can make short work of groups of enemy.

I think 61 is more op than 50 because you have access to two skill trees.

I will usually purposely gimp myself from using the most overpowered gear setups just to make it more interesting.

Top Bottom