• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands movie only made $31m at global box office vs $115m budget

Draugoth

Gold Member
borderlands-movie-1.jpg

Source
The Borderlands movie made a total of $31 million at the box office after leaving cinemas on September 5. According to film industry data site The Numbers, the film made $15.4 million domestically and almost $15.5 million globally after being in theatres for a month.

The movie grossed $16 million globally during its opening weekend starting on August 6. It reportedly had a production budget of $155 million with marketing and distribution costs at $30 million.

Honestly surprised that Eli Roth still gets offered directing roles. But maybe his past films were always profitable, too lazy to check. Even as a massive horror fan, never really been into his style, just comes off as cruel to me, though Cabin Fever has some hilarious scenes.

"pancakes....PAAAANCAAAAKES!" lol.

Edit- yea, I did check Wikipedia and his movies, outside of Borderlands, definitely made money and were pretty small in budget. Ignore my bad analysis.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
Eli Roth was doing the movie and he got kicked from it. Then they toned it down from an "R" rating to PG13. Would of been much more successful if they let Eli Roth do his own thing.

Holammer

There's a good quote by Upton Sinclair, an american writer/journalist with a political bent:
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it".

That's how I imagine projects like Concord or the Borderlands movie get done. Everyone involved knows it's a shit show, but they're just glad to be working.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm not surprised. Just look at that movie poster.

Mownoc

But I think I'd still rather watch it than the Minecraft movie after seeing both their trailers. Doubt I'll see either though.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Its a far better movie than Madame Web was, which by grace, i watched on Netflix. And its one of the few times i really just want my time back.

Borderlands atleast has a story to tell, as poorly as it is told. Madame Web doesn't have a story and isn't so-bad-its-good. Its just bad.

Dakota Johnson Foreshadowing GIF by Madame Web

Rockondevil

I would've liked it to make a little as it wasn't as bad as most make out and I would've seen another.
It felt like a movie version of one of the games which don't exactly have the deepest stories either.

The biggest flaw in it for me was how horribly miscast it was.

Saber

Bad and red flag movies automatically flopping. Gaming industry could be more like that, though recent cases have being showing people are going that route as well.

yazenov

That's 31 million in revenue. So actually they made less than that after deducting the theater fees and so forth. Probably half of that minus the expenses. So they actually made less than 15 million on a 115 million budget. Yes it's much worse!

MacReady13

I like Eli Roth as a film maker. This though, he was horribly miscast as a director to take on this job. I don't think I'll ever waste my time seeing this film to be honest.

NickFire

That's 31 million in revenue. So actually they made less than that after deducting the theater fees and so forth. Probably half of that minus the expenses. So they actually made less than 15 million on a 115 million budget. Yes it's much worse!
I'm no expert. But I think they get almost all of the money in the first few weeks at least, which is why concessions are so expensive. Could be wrong.

Krathoon

Gold Member
It is $20 to rent digitally. What a bunch of crap.

Does the story from the movie even remotely connect with the video games? I assume it is an alternate universe.

Krathoon

Gold Member
This $20 to rent is pretty stupid. It is $25 to buy it.

You might as well buy the damn thing.

I will wait till it is on streaming.

Reaseru

I don't know how a great actress such as Cate Blanchett accepted to be on this crappy film.

Jamie Lee Curtis I understand. She needs to pay her bills and somehow wants to remain relevant and make a living with movies. But Blanchett? She household name like her? To be involved in this joke?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I don't know how a great actress such as Cate Blanchett accepted to be on this crappy film.

Jamie Lee Curtis I understand. She needs to pay her bills and somehow wants to remain relevant and make a living with movies. But Blanchett? She household name like her? To be involved in this joke?

I just watched an absolutely terrible flick starring Ana De Armas and Keanu Reeves. None of these stars are above an easy payday.

Reaseru

I just watched an absolutely terrible flick starring Ana De Armas and Keanu Reeves. None of these stars are above an easy payday.

I know that, but I lived my life always seeing her in roles of such great female characters, that watching her in that Borderlands role looks so odd.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Eli Roth was doing the movie and he got kicked from it. Then they toned it down from an "R" rating to PG13. Would of been much more successful if they let Eli Roth do his own thing.
People didn't like his first Version in Test Screenings that's why they had several weeks of reshoots. Maybe the audience was stupid or maybe he just put a lot of dumb stuff in it like the Pancake kid in Cabin Fever or people fapping & pooping in Green Inferno...

Last edited:
Top Bottom