• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bowe Berghdahl, POW in Afghanistan, to return to the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been held for 1,797 days.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bowe-bergdahl-a-taliban-captive-since-2009-has-been-freed/

WASHINGTON - The only American solider held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed and is back in U.S. custody after nearly five years of captivity, U.S. officials said Saturday.

The officials said the Taliban agreed to turn over Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl in exchange for the release of five Afghan detainees from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The transfers happened after a week of intense negotiations mediated by the government of Qatar, which will take custody of the Afghans.

In a statement, President Barack Obama said Bergdahl's recovery "is a reminder of America's unwavering commitment to leave no man or woman in uniform behind on the battlefield."

Rolling Stone did an article on him about two years ago, discussing the controversial circumstances surrounding his disappearance and capture:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/americas-last-prisoner-of-war-20120607?print=true

Glad to see one of my fellow soldiers return home safely, he's got a lot of backpay coming his way and i'm sure his family is thrilled.

Yep. Apparently left to get laid.

really? the intercepted taliban radio chatter (released by wikileaks) indicated he was snatched while in the latrine (god i F'ing hate those things).

Edit: looks like you might be right, sounds like he had issues with his mission and vanished.

BIGWORM

Glad to see him come home safe and sound. I know Murica doesn't negotiate with terrorists, but did we play any kind of hand towards the condition of his release?

To this day I don't know my personal stance on negotiating with terrorists. On one hand you don't want to leave any troops/citizens behind and on the other you don't want to let them get away with capturing and detaining your people and using it as leverage. All the people they are releasing in exchange are Taliban leaders held since like 2001 so they aren't technically Al-Qaeda I suppose. Gitmo prisoners released to have a high tendency for going right back to their respective causes though.

Yep. Apparently left to get laid.

tumblr_mbz29yQZkL1qgnpj5o1_500.gif

Cloudy

Banned
Oh boy, his father spoke some Arabic at the press conference with Obama just now. He also had a grown-out beard. The right-wingers are gonna have a field day with this one as some sort of false flag conspiracy to free Gitmo detainees

For an american that is a very swedish like last name.
My last name comes from Germany. And I'm American. I don't get your comment.

Anyway glad for the guy and his family. I really don't want to wonder what he's been through. I hope he gets the support he will need.

Nick_Brody_8.jpg

Ps. I am not insinuating that he is a terrorist.Just thought the similarity is interesting an since I not long watched Homeland...I feel my pic is appropriate.

Good for him. Must be quite an experience to endure for so damn long!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Not sure if this was a good idea. It sets a bad precedent. The Taliban was allowed to choose the five terrorists they let go free, and if reporting is correct, they are all high level high risk terrorists. Qatar, the country bribing its way to getting the Wold Cup is in charge of monitoring them for a year and then they are free after that.

werks

Banned
Not sure if this was a good idea. It sets a bad precedent. The Taliban was allowed to choose the five terrorists they let go free, and if reporting is correct, they are all high level high risk terrorists. Qatar, the country bribing its way to getting the Wold Cup is in charge of monitoring them for a year and then they are free after that.
The bad precedent was declaring captured Taliban as enemy combatant and not pow. What happened was a pow swap.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Does this officially count as negotiating with terrorists? I guess Obama will catch some flack
Why? Obama is keeping the tradition of American foreign policy of negotiating with terrorists for decades.

We have been bribing hostile villages and towns across Afghanistan and Iraq since the start of 2003 too.

really? the intercepted taliban radio chatter (released by wikileaks) indicated he was snatched while in the latrine (god i F'ing hate those things).

Edit: looks like you might be right, sounds like he had issues with his mission and vanished.

Could someone surmise the circumstances behind his disappearance?

EDIT: I should read the OP

I wouldn't imagine. From some of the footage i have seen he does not seem like he is all there in the head. Who knows what type of brainwashing was done.

yeah, all the reports of him being barely able to speak English after captivity :/

I fear there's a Pat Tillman-esque shoe that will eventually drop, but I certainly hope that's not the case.

For those of you who don't wan to page through the RS article I linked above:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...9c5-11e3-b98c-72cef4a00499_story.html?hpid=z1

Bergdahl, 28, is believed to have slipped away from his platoon’s small outpost in Af­ghanistan’s Paktika province on June 30, 2009, after growing disillusioned with the U.S. military’s war effort. He was captured shortly afterward by enemy ­forces and held captive in Pakistan by insurgents affiliated with the Taliban. At the time, an entire U.S. military division and thousands of Afghan soldiers and police officers devoted weeks to searching for him, and some soldiers resented risking their lives for someone they considered a deserter.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm glad he's coming back to the States, but the US just released some pretty heinous mass murderers. One of the Taliban released was alone responsible for killing 1000 Shia Muslims, let alone the mass murders the other four are responsible for.

Can't say I'm happy about this in general.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm glad he's coming back to the States, but the US just released some pretty heinous mass murderers. One of the Taliban released was alone responsible for killing 1000 Shia Muslims, let alone the mass murders the other four are responsible for.

Can't say I'm happy about this in general.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...y-released-pow-exchange_794017.html?nopager=1
Unfortunately, America is not the only party in this war that is committed to leaving no man behind. So are the Taliban and other al Qaeda-linked groups. But the president did not say who America exchanged for Bergdahl: five of the most dangerous Taliban commanders in U.S. custody.

The Taliban has long demanded that the “Gitmo 5” be released in order for peace talks to begin in earnest. The Obama administration has desperately sought to engage the Taliban as American forces are drawn down in Afghanistan, but those talks have gone nowhere to this point. At first, the administration set preconditions for the talks, including that the Taliban break its relationship with al Qaeda. When it became clear that this was a non-starter, the administration decided to make the Taliban’s desired break with al Qaeda a goal, and no longer a precondition, for its diplomacy.

There is little hope that the peace talks will be more successful now. But the president seems to believe that Bergdahl’s exchange for the Gitmo 5 (who are reportedly being transferred to Qatar) may break the ice. “While we are mindful of the challenges, it is our hope Sergeant Bergdahl’s recovery could potentially open the door for broader discussions among Afghans about the future of their country by building confidence that it is possible for all sides to find common ground,” Obama said in his statement.

The Obama administration says that security measures have been put into place to make sure that the Gitmo 5 do not pose a threat to American national security. Let’s hope that is true; it certainly has not been the case with many ex-Gitmo detainees in the past.

There are good reasons why the Taliban has long wanted the five freed from Gitmo. All five are among the Taliban’s top commanders in U.S. custody and are still revered in jihadist circles.

Two of the five have been wanted by the UN for war crimes. And because of their prowess, Joint Task Force-Guantanamo (JTF-GTMO) deemed all five of them “high” risks to the U.S. and its allies.

The Obama administration wants to convince the Taliban to abandon its longstanding alliance with al Qaeda. But these men contributed to the formation of that relationship in the first place. All five had close ties to al Qaeda well before the 9/11 attacks. Therefore, it is difficult to see how their freedom would help the Obama administration achieve one of its principal goals for the hoped-for talks.

Here are short bios for each of the five Taliban commanders. All quotes are drawn from declassified and leaked documents prepared at Guantanamo.

Mullah Mohammad Fazl (Taliban army chief of staff): Fazl is “wanted by the UN for possible war crimes including the murder of thousands of Shiites.” Fazl “was associated with terrorist groups currently opposing U.S. and Coalition forces including al Qaeda, Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin (HIG), and an Anti-Coalition Militia group known as Harakat-i-Inqilab-i-Islami.” In addition to being one of the Taliban’s most experienced military commanders, Fazl worked closely with a top al Qaeda commander named Abdul Hadi al Iraqi, who headed al Qaeda’s main fighting unit in Afghanistan prior to 9/11 and is currently detained at Guantanamo.

Mullah Norullah Noori (senior Taliban military commander): Like Fazl, Noori is “wanted by the United Nations (UN) for possible war crimes including the murder of thousands of Shiite Muslims.” Beginning in the mid-1990s, Noori “fought alongside al Qaeda as a Taliban military general, against the Northern alliance.” He continued to work closely with al Qaeda in the years that followed.

Abdul Haq Wasiq (Taliban deputy minister of intelligence): Wasiq arranged for al Qaeda members to provide crucial intelligence training prior to 9/11. The training was headed by Hamza Zubayr, an al Qaeda instructor who was killed during the same September 2002 raid that netted Ramzi Binalshibh, the point man for the 9/11 operation. Wasiq “was central to the Taliban's efforts to form alliances with other Islamic fundamentalist groups to fight alongside the Taliban against U.S. and Coalition forces after the 11 September 2001 attacks,” according to a leaked JTF-GTMO threat assessment.

Khairullah Khairkhwa (Taliban governor of the Herat province and former interior minister): Khairkhwa was the governor of Afghanistan’s westernmost province prior to 9/11. In that capacity, he executed sensitive missions for Mullah Omar, including helping to broker a secret deal with the Iranians. For much of the pre-9/11 period, Iran and the Taliban were bitter foes. But a Taliban delegation that included Kharikhwa helped secure Iran’s support for the Taliban’s efforts against the American-led coalition in late 2001. JTF-GTMO found that Khairkhwa was likely a major drug trafficker and deeply in bed with al Qaeda. He allegedly oversaw one of Osama bin Laden’s training facilities in Herat.

Mohammed Nabi (senior Taliban figure and security official): Nabi “was a senior Taliban official who served in multiple leadership roles.” Nabi “had strong operational ties to Anti-Coalition Militia (ACM) groups including al Qaeda, the Taliban, the Haqqani Network, and the Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin (HIG), some of whom remain active in ACM activities.” Intelligence cited in the JTF-GTMO files indicates that Nabi held weekly meetings with al Qaeda operatives to coordinate attacks against U.S.-led forces.

Whole situation is bizarre. Wasn't there significant evidence that he converted to Islam after being held and began assisted in explosive making for the Taliban? Could just be typical propaganda from the Taliban.

TxdoHawk

So what's the burden of proof for desertion? I ask because this is mentioned from the Rolling Stone article:

Returning to Alaska after Christmas, Bowe said something that would stick with Fry months later, long after they arrived in Afghanistan. "Before we deployed, when we were on Rear D, him and I were talking about what it would be like," Fry recalls. Bowe looked at his friend and made no bones about his plans. "If this deployment is lame," Bowe said, "I'm just going to walk off into the mountains of Pakistan."

Is that enough? Just curious, because it looks like the difference between AWOL and desertion is going to be what decides if this dude gets a slap on the wrist or far, far worse.

Edit: So I guess rumor has it nothing will be pursued, according to this CNN article:

Another senior Defense official said Bergdahl will not likely face any punishment. "Five years is enough," he told CNN on condition of anonymity.

Dishwalla

Banned
They'd have to be nuts to try him for desertion, even if he did just that, considering all the work they had to do to get him back.

Kite

A bunch of my Army buddies are not happy to see this guy return. Apparently he went awol/deserted and a lot of soldiers died trying to get him back. Seeing his dad go native, reciting parts of the koran and growing a full beard isn't helping things either. Some don't think he was an actual pow and this is another jessica lynch thing where returned soldiers are painted as heroes for pr purposes when their actions were anything but. Personally I think the truth will come out in time so I'm not grabbing my pitchfork just yet.

Dishwalla

Banned
Yeah, his dad coming out and looking like he hadn't shaved since Bowe was taken did look odd, you'd think he'd clean it up a little to go on national tv alongside the President. But he is from Idaho, and people there have a certain way about them, they are at the center of their little universe and they don't care what others think(except if it's liberal in nature).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom