• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bowe Berghdahl, POW in Afghanistan, to return to the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be my favorite so far. Does 180º in less than a month.

qbor0vguwxgl1s4i174i.png

This isn't a fair screenshot. People saw the POW as just that, but there is now a cloud of doubt over his patriotism and that ultimately undermines the sympathies many will have for a soldier. This isn't unique to Americans or their politics. This is especially true when you trade such a soldier for 5 prisoners at Gitmo - a place that is entrenched in the minds of many people as being a prison for convicted terrorists.

Tamanon

Banned
This isn't a fair screenshot. People saw the POW as just that, but there is now a cloud of doubt over his patriotism and that ultimately undermines the sympathies many will have for a soldier. This isn't unique to Americans or their politics. This is especially true when you trade such a soldier for 5 prisoners at Gitmo - a place that is entrenched in the minds of many people as being a prison for convicted terrorists.

The doubt was there for years, but people ignored it or it didn't matter.

Also, LOL at using the word "convicted"

The doubt was there for years, but people ignored it or it didn't matter.

Also, LOL at using the word "convicted"

Convicted terrorists is what people believe. The same people likely didn't know any better that there were these doubts about him in the past. Ignorance is more likely than hypocrisy. The same for senators that tweeted him support in the past. Honestly, this shouldn't even the rebuttals to these reactions. It's trivial

Convicted terrorists is what people believe. The same people likely didn't know any better that there were these doubts about him in the past. Ignorance is more likely than hypocrisy. The same for senators that tweeted him support in the past. Honestly, this shouldn't even the rebuttals to these reactions. It's trivial

Well they would be wrong. They weren't convicted and I wouldn't call them terrorists either.

I'm just curious are we supposed to hold all these individuals forever or what?

It is just another odd double standard. If we are so concerned with the rule of law all the sudden, why aren't we charging these men and placing them before a criminal court? The idea that you can hold someone forever without ever charging them with a crime is some Communistic shit. Kinda of funny.

The sad thing about this is that any chance of this guy or his family ever getting a fair shake from anyone is pretty much shot. Tried in the media before a formal investigation and hearing, insulted and disparaged by powerful interests, speculated upon by the dregs of the internet. I would be suicidal if I had to face this shit, imagine 5 years of captivity on top of it.

It sucks, and it will end in tragedy.

The sad thing about this is that any chance of this guy or his family ever getting a fair shake from anyone is pretty much shot. Tried in the media before a formal investigation and hearing, insulted and disparaged by powerful interests, speculated upon by the dregs of the internet. I would be suicidal if I had to face this shit, imagine 5 years of captivity on top of it.

It sucks, and it will end in tragedy.

Yep, and why? No one would have blinked an eye if this was done under Bush. People can discuss it all they want, this is simply being used as a means to attack Obama. It's sad to be honest. Bring the guy home, leave his family out of this, it should be a moment of celebration. We cannot have that though.

Just like the OBL assassination/killing, we had to spend a few weeks saying this or that. Why cannot we just reflect on something positive for a brief moment.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying Berghdahl shouldn't be tried. If the intelligence comes out and he did in fact full stop desert his post, then bring him up on charges. For me, it doesn't change anything. We should have brought him home regardless of what happens next. The idea that we do not negotiate with terrorist is a fraudulent idea, we do. We just don't do it in public. One facet of American life has always been the idea that we do not leave a soldier behind. Try him if you want, convict him if the evidence supports it...but bring him home.

All this is just a cloud though, this is being ramped up as a means to attack Obama and nothing more. I'll wait for the excessive tape and outrage over Bush releasing/transferring 500 Gitmo detainees.

Because these same people also claim that it's impossible that the people who brokered this deal were as ignorant as they were about his possible defection and consider the President an evil American-hater. Even if they didn't know and their opinion has changed, this follows a patterned history of switching opinions specifically to be in opposition to this President. He literally cannot win with them. I honestly believe if he did everything they wanted, they'd still find a way to demonize him.

Senators should have known better, but they were too busy trying to rack up patriot points and take shots at the President,and we all know how little politicians care about accuracy. At least civilians don't have the professional responsibility to be informed and accurate. Fuck, look at John McCain on this issue.

And we protect ignorance in this country too much. People are willfully ignorant when it suits their narrative and they're given "equal time" - see evolution, climate change, creationism, "Obummer is a Muslim non-American", etc.

Not to mention most of their excuses for flip-flopping are that OBAMA'S government and the LIBERAL MEDIA lied to and mislead them about him for all these years... despite this information all being readily available for over 2 years. Of course they're not ignorant. It's a liberal conspiracy to make them look dumb and save an evil person.

Averon

What pisses me off about this whole thing is that if Obama HAD done nothing and left Bergdahl with the Taliban, and Bergdahl had died in Taliban hands, the same people howling and hollering for Obama's head would then be calling this Benghazi 2.0, and that Obama let patriotic Americans die like he did with ambassador Stevens in Benghazi.

So, Obama was fucked either way.

He either trade 5 blood thirsty hardcore terrorists for an American traitor and deserter and be accused of being naive.
or
He does nothing and let a brave American hero die in enemy hands, inviting charges of dereliction of duty and incompetence.

Couleurs

What pisses me off about this whole thing is that of Obama HAD done nothing and left Bergdahl with the Taliban, and Bergdhal had died in Taliban hands, the same people howling and hollering for Obama's head would then be calling this Benghazi 2.0, and that Obama let patriotic Americans die like he did with ambassador Stevens in Benghazi.

He either trade 5 blood thirsty hardcore terrorists for an American traitor and deserter and be accuse of being naive.
or
He does nothing and let a brave American hero die in enemy hands and inviting charges of dereliction of duty and incompetence.

That's just how Republicans roll. Remember that in their minds, Obama is somehow simultaneously a spineless coward wimp while being a ruthless brutal dictator. He manages to be too weak and too strong at the same time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What pisses me off about this whole thing is that if Obama HAD done nothing and left Bergdahl with the Taliban, and Bergdahl had died in Taliban hands, the same people howling and hollering for Obama's head would then be calling this Benghazi 2.0, and that Obama let patriotic Americans die like he did with ambassador Stevens in Benghazi.

He either trade 5 blood thirsty hardcore terrorists for an American traitor and deserter and be accused of being naive.
or
He does nothing and let a brave American hero die in enemy hands, inviting charges of dereliction of duty and incompetence.
Seems like the 5-for-1 thing is what's getting play here, I wonder how these people would react if it was a 1-for-1.

This country has fallen so far from grace that it can't even celebrate the return of a solider from captivity -- despite the circumstances. The silly notion that the release of these 5 Taliban members is some how going to haunt us later down road is such bullshit because we're already doing a good of job of that by bombing the shit out of these people with drone strikes, leaving innocent dead in its wake and driving their love ones to seek vengeance.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Isn't what the media and the Republicans doing basically libel? If there is ever a court case and he is found innocent, can't he sue the shit out of everyone? What if there isn't even a court case? How the hell can he ever get a job now that he has been labeled a traitor before anything has been brought to court? This guys has basically been convicted by the media. It's awful.

linkboy

This country has fallen so far from grace that it can't even celebrate the return of a solider from captivity -- despite the circumstances. The silly notion that the release of these 5 Taliban members is some how going to haunt us later down road is such bullshit because we're already doing a good of job of that by bombing the shit out of these people with drone strikes, leaving innocent dead in its wake and driving their love ones to seek vengeance.

Exactly, everything so political today.

I'm honestly surprised someone hasn't blamed Obama for California Chrome not winning the Belmont today.

Lkr

What the fuck does that mean? An eye witness came to Fox News, wrote down what he saw, and Fox News declared it a "document?" That sounds deceptive as hell.
Capitalist privately owned media makes sure we aren't being lied to by government run news organizations like the BBC. Thank You Based Murdoch

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Has this been posted yet:

Fox News: 'Secret Documents' Claim Bergdahl Became A 'Warrior' For Islam
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/fox-news-bergdahl-converted-to-islam

That shit doesn't even makes sense. So he converted to Islam and declared himself a mujahid and was happy with his captors, playing soccer, having a grand all time but attempted to escape and was also caged like an animal. Uh huh. Yeah. Don't groups like these routinely make their captors say on camera that they have converted to Islam, and agree with them and crap like that? Isn't it more likely that they were just forcing him to say this shit for propaganda like they usually do? I cannot believe the level of character assassination the freaken media is doing just because it was that 'Negro in the White House' who okayed his rescue. Has any other POW ever been greeted with so much nasty shit by our media after coming home?

Blader

Who gives a flying fuck how patriotic he is? He's a POW and an American citizen; those are the only reasons you need to justify bringing him home, period. You can't pick and choose who you do and don't want to save based on political leanings.

Amir0x

Banned
Its a fake story. That picture is of a four lane street. The RNC is at 2nd and D st SE in DC and looks nothing like that.

Do you even need this sort of evidence? Read the last line, it's so self-evidently fake it's hilarious:

G.O.P. chairman Rence Priebus said," We know nothing about the litter found in the alley behind our national office. We suspect this is part of an orchestrated mainstream media smear campaign. For the record, we are opposed to littering."

I mean!

Anyway, probably reported, but Bergdahl said he was tortured by his captives: Link

PARIS (AP) — U.S. Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has told people treating him at an American military medical facility in Germany that he was tortured, beaten and held in a cage by his Taliban captors in Afghanistan after he tried to escape, a senior U.S. official said Sunday.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss what Bergdahl has revealed about the conditions of his captivity. The New York Times first reported on the matter.

werks

Banned
Ok the people accusing him of desertion are the guys who served with him. The guy walked his post for whatever reason and people died to try and find him. The events surrounding this guy are pretty odd to say the least. I think it is a fair criticism to point out that releasing dangerous enemies before hostilities are over is not very prudent. People died because this guy walked off (if that is indeed the case).

It doesn't matter if god himself came down from heaven and accused him of desertion, he still gets a trial before being convicted.

As for the gitmo prisoners, sure it's fair. It was fair when Bush release 200+ gitmo prisoners, it was fair when mccain suggested that we release 5 "hardcore" taliban as a sign of goodwill to get Berghdahl released and it's fair now. The funny thing is that I never noticed the criticism before.

If the criticism is truly about the taliban and make america unsafe. The iraq war did more to help the enemy and hurt our cause then anything Obama did during his terms.

Cloudy

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/05/opinion/gopal-taliban-bergdahl-deal/index.html?hpt=op_r1

In fact, all five of the swapped prisoners were initially captured while trying to cut deals, and like Khairkhwa, three had been attempting to join, or had already joined, the Afghan government at the time of their arrest.

This history shows that the categories we take as rigid and unchanging, such as "terrorist," are in fact remarkably fluid in the context of Afghan politics. Uncovering the stories of these men tells us much about Guantanamo, the Taliban, and the possibility of a negotiated end to the conflict..

In those days, the United States was handing out money freely for such intelligence, which inadvertently provided incentive for bogus accusations. Some Afghan officials in Khost allege that Omari reaped profits from falsely accusing others of al Qaeda membership. If so, he certainly accrued enemies, and in September 2002, he, too, was accused of insurgent membership by rival warlords and politicians, despite being publicly aligned with the Karzai government. "He was on our side," said Malem Jan, who now lives in Kabul. "And then all of a sudden, he was in Guantanamo."

This is what I suspected from the beginning. Here's some background on the 5 "terrorists"

Hailey, Idaho (CNN) -- The FBI is investigating threats against the parents of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the latest development in a case that has put the spotlight on the circumstances surrounding his capture in Afghanistan and release by the Taliban.

"We are working jointly with our state and local partners and taking each threat seriously," FBI Special Agent William Facer told CNN in an e-mail on Saturday.

Facer declined to detail the nature and severity of the threats, and a military spokesperson for the Bergdahls declined to comment.

Bergdahl's parents have not been seen publicly since the announcement last week that the soldier had been freed from five years in captivity at the hands of the Taliban in exchange for the release of five detainees at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/07/us/sgt-bowe-bergdahl-controversy/

Keep it classy, haters.

is this implying Ron Paul = Rand Paul ?
Certainly there is not complete agreement. But I don't think it is crazy to say that most Ron Paul Supporters also support Rand Paul since the two politicians do tend to have the basic principles and positions (although they are not all the same).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom