• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

A lot of people are telling me that Walt didn't die a hero (and someone even suggested that the ending went "over my head").

Walt got nine-tenths of everything he ever wanted.
1. He provided for his family (to the tune of nearly ten million dollars).
2. He saved his protégé, and they even shared a respectful nod.
3. He made subservient his would-be superiors from his Gray Matter days, effectively making them work for him.
4. He came to terms with Skyler and got to say goodbye to his daughter.
5. He vanquished his enemies and retained supremacy in the meth world.
6. He even beat cancer (!), dying on his sword instead.

He's not a hero in the sense of being the ultimate good guy (which was never an option). But he achieved almost everything he'd ever cared about, overcome almost every obstacle put in his way, and so on. He crawled back from the brink of defeat and died the victor. (Even VG said so!)

Folks can twist it and pretend that I don't "get it." But c'mon.

I was hoping that he'd die alone in the shed. I think that would have been a much more interesting and fitting end.

jtb

Banned
the last two seasons of LOST do their best to retroactively ruin everything that came before it. Lindelof and Cuse built their entire story on heavy serialized plot and building a coherent mythology. Well, S5 and 6 fall completely flat in that regard—and yeah, that's a problem.

There's no denying that S5 onwards of Dexter is complete shit but each season has always been self-contained enough that the shitty Dexter ending is fun to laugh at but is ultimately irrelevant. (the 24 model of TV, really) They're not really comparable.

Mononoke

Banned
A lot of people are telling me that Walt didn't die a hero (and someone even suggested that the ending went "over my head").

3. He made subservient his would-be superiors from his Gray Matter days, effectively making them work for him.

He's not a hero in the sense of being the ultimate good guy (which was never an option). But he achieved almost everything he'd ever cared about, overcome almost every obstacle put in his way, and so on. He crawled back from the brink of defeat and died the victor. (Even VG said so!)

I was hoping that he'd die alone in the shed. I think that would have been a much more interesting and fitting end.

Just act like the finale never happened, and it ends with Granite State.

Walt accepting he's evil, and getting what he wants is the arc coming to the inevitable resolution it was building towards. I don't think people are saying you don't get it. Rather, they don't fully understand your view that Walt went out as a hero or was redeemed. He really wasn't. Just because Walt got what he wanted, doesn't make him any less pathetic or evil. I would argue, Walt committing to being evil in the end, and getting what he wanted (feeling good about his death) - at the expense of ruining everyone's lives, just made him even more evil.

I agree. Jesse's character didn't really develop as much as I would of hoped.

Also I have a hard time understanding the passage of time in the last season.

Shortly before Hank discovered Walt was Heisenburg, Walt turned 51. When Walt returned to Albuquerque and ate at that Dennys, he was turning 52. A whole year somehow passed.

Walt was in New Hampshire for at least a month, and probably not much longer. This means Jesse was likely being kept in captivity for about the same amount of time, but again when Walt is at Dennys it implies an entire year passed. I find this hard to believe. When Walt returned to Jack's hideout place, it felt like the there was no passage of time at all.

Wrong. The time span between "51" and the end of "Gliding Over All" is about 4-5 months, mostly set through the montage in Gliding. Marie indicates the timeframe in the conversation at dinner because the kids had been living with her for at least four months.

There was about a week or two between Gliding and Ozymandias, which was mostly set in Hank's investigation montage. Walt was in New Hampshire for a few months (it would have to be 6-7 for the timeframe to make sense) this is indicated through the dialogue between him and the Cleaner as the Cleaner had obviously been out a couple of times to bring supplies and to administer chemo (mentioning how he would get it right this time as he had watched a How To video - he didn't administer chemo the first time, so we know that this is one in a series of visits).

Ashhong

I was rewarching season 1 the other day and saw the baby shower episode for Holly. Walt makes a video message to her and I nearly cried. So heartbreaking in retrospect.

So he's not a hero. He's a "hero".

Talking about twisting definitions...

Yeah well, according to LOST fans he totally is worse than Scott Buck. I think LOST fans need a little perspective on how bad shows can actually get.
I agree. As much as I like hating on the LOST finale, Remember the Monsters was waaaaay worse.

The LOST finale was disappointing. The Dexter finale was just bad.

EDIT: Oops, sorry about that. Meant to edit my earlier post.

Mononoke

Banned
I think people are saying the celebratory tone and the fact that Walt gets what he wants, means Vince ultimately viewed Walt as a hero. I think this is bizarre, because this basically accepts the premise that bad people can't get what they want, or feel good about what they are doing - without being a hero.

Just act like the finale never happened, and it ends with Granite State.

Walt accepting he's evil, and getting what he wants is the arc coming to the inevitable resolution it was building towards. I don't think people are saying you don't get it. Rather, they don't fully understand your view that Walt went out as a hero or was redeemed. He really wasn't. Just because Walt got what he wanted, doesn't make him any less pathetic or evil. I would argue, Walt committing to being evil in the end, and getting what he wanted (feeling good about his death) - at the expense of ruining everyone's lives, just made him even more evil.

Well, perhaps it's a mere linguistic issue, then.

A "hero" can be, but isn't necessarily, an exemplar of moral greatness. I am not suggesting that WW was transformed into a morally great man at the end of the series. (That's obviously not the case. And, as I said above, it wasn't even on the table as an option. The writers could not have done that, even if they'd hoped to.)

A hero need only be an exemplar of *virtue*. And Walt is shown, at the end, to be overflowing with virtues: integrity (again, *not* in the moral sense), resilience, bravery and courage, and so on. Of course he's an evil person. But the show let WW die as a "great man." Not a "morally great" man. But a great man in the sense that we use "great" when talking about the "great" dictators and "great" leaders of history.

I thought -- and hoped -- that the show would end differently. Given that during the season there had been some acknowledgment of just how ridiculously lucky and fortunate WW had been, I thought they were preparing to complete demolish him. I thought they would focus on the fact that he was never truly great, but instead just remarkably fortunate. I thought, at the end, that even his luck would run out. He would die alone, evil, defeated, and as a failure even by his own standards.

That's where I thought they were headed, right up until the last few minutes of the second-to-last episode. Instead, they made him go out in a blaze of glory, accomplishing everything he'd set out to do. Meh.

Mononoke

Banned

A "hero" can be, but isn't necessarily, an exemplar of moral greatness. I am not suggesting that WW was transformed into a morally great man at the end of the series. (That's obviously not the case. And, as I said above, it wasn't even on the table as an option. The writers could not have done that, even if they'd hoped to.)

A hero need only be an exemplar of *virtue*. And Walt is shown, at the end, to be overflowing with virtues: integrity (again, *not* in the moral sense), resilience, bravery and courage, and so on. Of course he's an evil person. But the show let WW die as a "great man." Not a "morally great" man. But a great man in the sense that we use "great" when talking about the "great" dictators and "great" leaders of history.

I thought -- and hoped -- that the show would end differently. Given that during the season there had been some acknowledgment of just how ridiculously lucky and fortunate WW had been, I thought they were preparing to complete demolish him. I thought they would focus on the fact that he was never truly great, but instead just remarkably fortunate. I thought, at the end, that even his luck would run out. He would die alone, evil, defeated, and as a failure even by his own standards.

That's where I thought they were headed, right up until the last few minutes of the second-to-last episode. Instead, they made him go out in a blaze of glory, accomplishing everything he'd set out to do. Meh.

So what show were you watching. This is again a show where a man who when he breaks bad, is unable to tap his potential and make 99% pure blue meth. Yes, Walt is an ubermensch, an example of someone being able to do extraordinary things when they stop adhering to the rules of a moral society.

Absolutely. This clearly follows through with the end of Walt' arc, where he truly lets go of all ties to his morality and old self, and accepts who he is. And follows through with his potential. I would only agree with your point of view, if Walt wasn't already extraordinarily throughout the show, when his potential was being tapped. The only reason Walt failed in the past, was because he was juggling himself being evil, and trying to still cling on to his old self.

So what show were you watching. This is again a show where a man who when he breaks bad, is unable to tap his potential and make 99% pure blue meth. Yes, Walt is an ubermensch, an example of someone being able to do extraordinary things when they stop adhering to the rules of a moral society.

Absolutely.

Cool. So we agree on that? We agree that, in the end, Walt crawled back from near defeat -- yet again -- and accomplished almost everything, dying a great man. Good.

Well, then, where we disagree, I think, is just on whether that's a good thing!

You say "What show were you watching?" Well, as with many long-form stories, I wasn't sure what I was watching until it was over. I didn't know what sort of show I was watching until the last 30 minutes of The Shield. (It could have ended in a way very, very similar to Breaking Bad, and it would have entirely changed the meaning and structure of the seven seasons that had come before.) I didn't know what sort of show I was watching until the last ~60 minutes of Breaking Bad. And, in the end, I was disappointed to find out what sort of show I was watching.

As I said, it's still a good show. I still enjoyed it. But I was let down by the ending (and, in virtue of the ending, the show as a whole).

Frost_Ace

Well to be fair that was the point of Ozymandias and Granite State, and like you I hoped it would end that way...

Mononoke

Banned
Cool. So we agree on that? We agree that, in the end, Walt crawled back from near defeat -- yet again -- and accomplished almost everything, dying a great man. Good.

Well, then, where we disagree, I think, is just on whether that's a good thing!

You say "What show were you watching?" Well, as with many long-form stories, I wasn't sure what I was watching until it was over. I didn't know what sort of show I was watching until the last 30 minutes of The Shield. (It could have ended in a way very, very similar to Breaking Bad, and it would have entirely changed the meaning and structure of the seven seasons that had come before.) I didn't know what sort of show I was watching until the last ~60 minutes of Breaking Bad. And, in the end, I was disappointed to find out what sort of show I was watching.

As I said, it's still a good show. I still enjoyed it. But I was let down by the ending (and, in virtue of the ending, the show as a whole).

Sure. But I don't agree with you that it's a bad thing, and I think it actually brings his arc around to a complete resolution. I also don't think this makes him a hero. But I think it shows that Walt was good at being bad, and never fully tapped into that throughout the show, because he was doing a balancing act.

In the end, he finally accept its - taps into it, and ends up dying feeling alive - but at the expense of everyone around him. Absolutely. I actually find the ending where Walt dies a happy person to be completely disturbing. This is a man who dies in complete bliss, but we as the audience knows the complete destruction he caused to get to this moment.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have to say I quite like that one review idea that the show at the last moment changed the ending in which in the very last scene they'd show Walter frozen behind the wheel in the car that he was not able to start, and that everything that happened after he pulled that sun visor down was his dying lucid dream.

There's just few of those really weird/dreamy/uncharacteristic shots in the episode that I can't help but think that this option was on the table at some point, but they decided against it because they didn't want him to end with a pathetic death and a depressing vision of illusion of grandeur. That and I guess the whole "it was all a dream" resolution probably wouldn't sit well with a lot of people.

I have to say I quite like that one review idea that the show at the last moment changed the ending in which in the very last scene they'd show Walter frozen behind the wheel in the car that he was not able to start, and that everything that happened after he pulled that sun visor down was his dying lucid dream.

There's just few of those really weird/dreamy/uncharacteristic shots in the episode that I can't help but think that this option was on the table at some point, but they decided against it because they didn't want him to end with a pathetic death and a depressing vision of illusion of grandeur. That and I guess the whole "it was all a dream" resolution probably wouldn't sit well with a lot of people.

I haven't read the review you're talking about. But I'd have *loved* that sort of ending.

Cool. So we agree on that? We agree that, in the end, Walt crawled back from near defeat -- yet again -- and accomplished almost everything, dying a great man. .

I think it's pretty obvious that it's not at all agreed that Walt died "a great man."

He (kinda) got what he wanted - at that moment. But it wasn't much. What he wanted was to destroy more things.

He destroyed some bad things in the finale. By doing so he saved a couple good things.

But he was still destructive. That's not an inherently "great" thing to be.

There's just few of those really weird/dreamy/uncharacteristic shots in the episode that I can't help but think that this option was on the table at some point,

It was likely never on the table because it's cliched and fuckin dumb.

jtb

Banned
It was all a dream endings are fucking TERRIBLE, especially in films where we have very few ways of knowing that there's an unreliable narrator. They work on very rare occasions in books (I'm thinking of one in particular, but obviously if I say it, it'll spoil the whole damn thing lol) but not in a visual medium like TV/film where we take what we see on screen as fact.

You would like an entire ending that uses a gimmicky device where what we see isn't real?

Well, I said that "sort" of ending -- i.e., him dying a complete failure, having accomplished nothing, and having lost everything.

No, I would not choose an 'It was all a dream!' ending, specifically.

Batigol

Banned
I think I had unrealistic expectations of the finale and was probably the reason it didn't blow me away.

Managed to watched it again and do appreciate it more.

I do think it was predictable (not necessarily a bad thing) and I was disappointed all the good guys survived, but it was a fitting finale to one of the greatest shows I've managed to watch.

I do think it was predictable (not necessarily a bad thing) and I was disappointed all the good guys survived, but it was a fitting finale to one of the greatest shows I've managed to watch.

That's the closest we're getting to this account ever admitting Walt was a bad guy.

The Boss from MGS3. She's dead and her entire country hates her. I know her and Walt aren't comparable, just pointing out that what you said doesn't actually mean anything.

If you're admitting the comparison you're making is worthless than why are you comparing the two? His statement still means something, because his family hating him is definitely a key component of the story being told. It's not in your example.

(also, using Metal Gear as an example of storytelling - good OR bad - is questionable :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It was likely never on the table because it's cliched and fuckin dumb.
Yeah well, it's cliched, and that's why I said a lot of people would hate it, but somehow it makes sense with what they've shown. Starting with the words he uttered which sounded like someone's last words of near-nonsense with a rational mind shutting down and talking to a god/car. All the way through with how everything played out so perfectly, so conveniently, so effortlessly, with a few dreamy shots to punctuate what was happening.

You would like an entire ending that uses a gimmicky device where what we see isn't real?
It's real in his mind though, and complex as his mind must be, it would be an interesting visual peek into it.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I said that "sort" of ending -- i.e., him dying a complete failure, having accomplished nothing, and having lost everything.

No, I would not choose an 'It was all a dream!' ending, specifically.

That's perfectly valid. We can agree there. I would have loved that ending too. I would have been fine with a Granite Sate ending as well. But I also loved the ending we got, and felt it was in line with the character's arc. So that is where we don't agree. But that's fine.

Yeah well, it's cliched, and that's why I said a lot of people would hate it, but somehow it makes sense with what they've shown. Starting with the words he uttered which sounded like someone's last words of near-nonsense with a rational mind shutting down and talking to a god/car. All the way through with how everything played out so perfectly, so conveniently, so effortlessly, with a few dreamy shots to punctuate what was happening.

It makes no sense. The show's never done anything like that, or even hinted at anything like that.

I don't think the show's ever shown a single dream sequence at all, actually. I could be wrong, but I can't remember one.

It'd be way out of line and extra-bullshit to not only introduce dream sequences into the narrative, but to END THE SHOW as one.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It makes no sense. The show's never done anything like that, or even hinted at anything like that.

I don't think the show's ever shown a single dream sequence at all, actually. I could be wrong, but I can't remember one.
There was one with Jesse making box in the very same episode. A daydream of a deranged mind, so practically the same thing.

There was one with Jesse making box in the very same episode.

That wasn't a dream sequence. That was a flashback.

I think the closest we ever get is Jesse floating towards the ceiling after slamming heroin for the first time. But that's not a dream, either, but a visual representation of his high.

kehs

Banned
That wasn't a dream sequence. That was a flashback.

I think the closest we ever get is Jesse floating towards the ceiling after slamming heroin for the first time. But that's not a dream, either, but a visual representation of his high.

That wasn't a flashback it was a day dream.

e: actually it was a flashback, ignore me.

That's perfectly valid. We can agree there. I would have loved that ending too. I would have been fine with a Granite Sate ending as well. But I also loved the ending we got, and felt it was in line with the character's arc. So that is where we don't agree. But that's fine.

Well, it depends what you mean. I'm not sure whether we disagree all that much.

It isn't like I'm suggesting that the end makes no sense, or is internally inconsistent, or unmotivated, or irrational, or anything like that. (I've not said anything like that above.)

But there's an ending-type I'd have much preferred. And I think that the ending we got was a lot easier for the writers (and producers), a bit less interesting and, personally, a whole lot less satisfying. I still liked the show just fine. I was just disappointed.

But, again, I'm not saying that someone who is fond of the ending we got is making a mistake, and I'm not saying that the ending is structurally flawed.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, it depends what you mean. I'm not sure whether we disagree all that much.

It isn't like I'm suggesting that the end makes no sense, or is internally inconsistent, or unmotivated, or irrational, or anything like that. (I've not said anything like that above.)

But there's an ending-type I'd have much preferred. And I think that the ending we got was a lot easier for the writers (and producers), a bit less interesting and, personally, a whole lot less satisfying. I still liked the show just fine. I was just disappointed.

But, again, I'm not saying that someone who is fond of the ending we got is making a mistake, and I'm not saying that the ending is structurally flawed.

I'm just saying we don't agree on the ending we would have preferred. Because I simply was okay with either. I liked both, and was okay with both. And that's totally cool.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He's dead and his family hates him. Great hero.
He dies a happy man though. He looked happier there than he's been in forever in the show. Clearly in his mind he's a winner / things turned out better than expected in the end. He got a big level of satisfaction out of the whole ordeal, and that's what I think TruthJunky is not happy with.

Mononoke

Banned
He dies a happy man though. He looked happier there than he's been in forever in the show. Clearly in his mind he's a winner / things turned out better than expected in the end. He got a big level of satisfaction out of the whole ordeal, and that's what I think TruthJunky is not happy with.

Yeah so. What is wrong with that? That makes Walt the ultimate evil in the end. Dude ends up dying a happy man, at the expense of everyone around him.

EDIT: Let me clarify. What I mean to say is - why is this a bad thing? Why did you not like this? Did you feel it was a betrayal to the show's themes? What the show promised? And if so why.

Day dream. Unless his High School woodworking shop was very small, beautifully equipped, and he was the only student in the class.

And maybe it was.

Daydream isn't an actual dream, you guys. Especially if it concerns a memory. Daydream is what you call the act of zoning the fuck out because you're remembering something.

Now if he was imagining something that never happened, that's one thing. But that's a flashback to him making the box he discussed earlier in the show.

Besides which - even if you guys do want to substitute "daydreaming" for ACTUAL dreaming, this "Dream" would have occurred INSIDE WALTER'S "DREAM" so far as this theory goes - which makes it some sort of meth-fueled INCEPTION or some shit, which is even dumber.

So not only is Walt dreaming all this shit, he's dreaming Jesse daydreaming a box he made in wood shop before snapping out of the memory to continue his meth slavery, which Walt didn't even know was happening at that point.

Nope.

Frost_Ace

Yeah so. What is wrong with that? That makes Walt the ultimate evil in the end. Dude ends up dying a happy man, at the expense of everyone around him.

EDIT: Let me clarify. What I mean to say is - why is this a bad thing? Why did you not like this? Did you feel it was a betrayal to the show's themes? What the show promised? And if so why.
Honestly the ending fits the theme of the show so well, especially since he reached the bottom into Ozymandias/Granite State.

I just wish that it was less absurd and fit the destiny of the other characters better.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I didn't think it was a bad thing. I quite liked it actually, and I don't think it betrayed the show's themes or flow. They have made sure for the duration of show to never turn him into a completely indefensible monster. They could have just made so that the kid he poisoned actually died, if they wanted to do that, for example, but they didn't. This is why I was expecting that they'd let him die with some dignity. However, maybe they tried to make him more likeable too quickly again. Wife was starting to kind of forgive him, so was Jesse, he himself came to terms and admitted to himself and wife why he was doing what he was doing.

Top Bottom