• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Israel launches Operation Protective Edge against Hamas in Gaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Sigh….Hix….

As Jewish settlements expand, the Palestinians are being driven away

The signs of previous bouts of displacement ring the adjacent hills. Mobile homes for young Jewish settlers sprout on the hilltops. Armed with a list of military orders, Israeli soldiers are herding the West Bank’s Palestinians out of the rural 60% of the territory, officially known as Area C, where Israel has full military and civilian control, and into cities. On some days the Israeli army declares a patch of land to be a live-fire military zone. On other days they say the Palestinians must move because of an impending archaeological dig. The erection of hilltop stations to provide antennae for Israeli mobile phones (but not for Palestinian ones) is another oft-cited reason for pushing Palestinians out. Eight Palestinian hamlets around Susiya face demolition.

So far this year, Israel’s army has evicted almost 400 Palestinians from the West Bank and dismantled over 200 homes, the fastest rate for two years, according to the UN. The number of such incidents has risen sharply since a new Israeli government, with even stronger settler influence within it, took office in March. As a result, the European Union called on April 26th for an end to what it calls “the forced transfer” of Palestinians out of Area C. The Israeli army has also again demolished a restaurant, al-Maghrour, in a rural spot that was popular with Palestinians from nearby Bethlehem, which is increasingly hemmed in by settlements. In addition, some 2,300 Bedouin have recently been earmarked for removal from the strategic west-east corridor known as E1, which links Jerusalem to a big Jewish settlement, Maale Adumim, and to its smaller satellite community, Kfar Adumim, where Israel’s new housing minister, Uri Ariel, happens to reside.

http://www.economist.com/news/middl...m?zid=308&ah=e21d923f9b263c5548d5615da3d30f4d

nib95

Banned

Disgraceful that they'll pull her out for that. Hope they have some other reporter there to cover such developments inside Israel? Also, besides cheering the death of others, those Israeli's are now threatening reporters too?

Here is the tweet that got her pulled.

enhanced-31646-1405634778-17.png

Video.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dorsey/israeli-crowd-cheers-as-missile-hits-gaza-live-on-cnn

Zen

Banned
this is getting too weird. what's the purpose of a reporter going on twitter and calling civilians 'scum'? what does it accomplish?

edit: and why can't she just remove the tweet and apologize for being unprofessional? why does she have to be removed from her position?

1. Emotions run high when you see people cheering on murder who then threaten you

2. Probably because the Israeli government saw it and is pressuring.

Writer Sayed Kashua, an Arab and Israeli citizen, is writing about his decision to leave Jerusalem once and for all. Terribly sad and heartbreaking. But a must read, especially for Jews and Israelis who do not understand the situation their fellow human beings they call Arabs are in.

http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/weekend/.premium-1.602869 (behind registration and/or a paywall unfortunately).

In French : http://www.liberation.fr/monde/2014...sons-pour-lesquelles-je-quitte-israel_1064343
I found a full text of the article using google web cache. Its not working on mobile. But in any case heres is the text. Very heartfelt and human article that reminds us of our humanity. Thanks for posting.
I’m incapable of writing a word. I’ll wait until my boys get back from day camp, then maybe I’ll be able to calm down a little.

I should never have listened to my wife, I should never have let them go to their day camps, not today, not now. I left their big sister at home. She’s already a teenager, and it just could have been too much. “But why?” she shouted in the morning, already on her way out with her backpack to her group leaders’ course as part of an Education Ministry program. “Just because!” I retorted, and went back to listening to the news.

My children will soon be back and we will leave this place. This time it makes no difference what my wife says – I don’t care, she can say that I’m paranoid, that I’m hysterical, but I’m not letting my kids stay in Jerusalem. I’m going to pack their things for them, and as soon as they get home, I’m going to my parents’ with them. She can stay in Jerusalem if she wants, but I can’t be here anymore.

I will be in Tira with the kids for two or three days, maybe a week. Maybe I won’t come back at all. What is there for me in Jerusalem? In another month I’m flying abroad in any case. I have to call the travel agent and see how much it will cost to move up the date.

I also have to call my real estate agent, and tell him that the rental is no longer limited to a year – that the renters should be allowed to stay as long as they want. Because I’m not coming back to this building, not coming back to this neighborhood, not coming back to Jerusalem and maybe not coming back here at all. Maybe I’ll tell the realtor that instead of a rental, he should look for a place that’s for sale.

I will do whatever it takes not to come back here. I really have to work on my English over there. I absolutely have to start reading and writing only in English. I will use the year ahead while I’m teaching to adopt a new language for my writing. I know it’s not easy – I’ve already gone through it with Hebrew – but there’s no choice. I don’t know how much longer I can go on writing in Hebrew, I don’t know how many Hebrew speakers will still want to listen to me; I’m not sure there will be any point left to addressing them.

I will write in English, I will start to write love stories, the weather will become a major event in the plot, the snow will be a central character. I will write in English about the experiences of a migrant in a new country, about a political asylum seeker, about refugees from war.

I will write in English about the country I abandoned, I will try to write the truth, I will try to be accurate about the details in the hope that someone over there will believe me that this really happened. I will write about a far-off land in which children are shot, slaughtered, buried and burned, and the readers will probably think I am a fantasy writer.

But, hey, who said I have to write at all? I will do a little university teaching and then I’ll find a job. I can do anything, I don’t care. I’m ready to wash dishes, change tires and clean toilets.

I can be a taxi driver and live modestly in a small town; I will be a polite driver with an accent. If the passengers talk to me, I will answer them. And if they ask where the accent’s from and what country I’m from, I will tell them that I come from a scary place where people in suits and uniforms call on the masses to hate, kill, plunder and take revenge – sometimes in the name of religion, sometimes in the name of God, and all for the sake of the children’s future.

In the taxi I will only listen to music – even country music, for all I care – but never to the news. I mustn’t know who the politicians in the new place are, mustn’t know the names of the reporters, the anchors and the commentators, mustn’t take an interest in their opinions, their viewpoints or their world views. I will do my best to be a perpetual tourist there. Not to take things to heart, never to feel that I belong.

My children will soon be home and I will take them to Tira. I don’t want to stay here another minute. I will call the travel agent, maybe she can get us out of here tomorrow. My wife will scream that she has committed to working until the end of the month. She can stay here if she wants, she can join us next month.

“What don’t you understand?” I said to her when I begged her not to go to work. “It’s over.”

“Have you lost it?” she shouted back at me. “What in the blazes is over?”

I was silent, knowing that my attempt at living together with others in this country was over. That the lie I’d told my children about a future in which Arabs and Jews share the country equally was over.

I wanted to say to my wife that this is really the end, it’s finished. That I’d lost my small war, that everything people had told me since I was a teenager was coming true before my eyes. That all those who told me that there is a difference between blood and blood, between one person and another person, were right. That all those who told me that I have no place other than Tira spoke the truth.

But all I said to her was, “Good luck at work,” apologized for my exaggerated fears, and added that I was sure everything would be all right.

The children will soon be back from day camp and I will take them far away from here. Right now, though, I’m home with my firstborn daughter. She’s angry and has closeted herself in her room. I knock gently on the door, but she doesn’t answer.

She’s sitting on her bed with her computer. I sit down next to her on the bed, knowing I’m about to tell her what my father told me when I was a boy her age. It was my first day at a Jerusalem boarding school, where only Hebrew was spoken. My father drove me there from Tira, and a moment before parting from me, at the entrance to the school, he said, “Remember that for them you will always, but always, be an Arab, understand?”

“I understand,” my daughter said and hugged me close, “I understood it already by myself.”

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
1. Emotions run high when you see people cheering on murder who then threaten you

2. Probably because the Israeli government saw it and is pressuring.

1. Emotions run high everywhere, including with those misbehaving kids cheering.

2.How does removing her from her position help the Israeli government?

StuKen

this is getting too weird. what's the purpose of a reporter going on twitter and calling civilians 'scum'? what does it accomplish?

edit: and why can't she just remove the tweet and apologize for being unprofessional? why does she have to be removed from her position?

A normal empathetic reaction to seeing people cheering the deaths of people of others they consider subhuman filth?

The settlers threatened her to report only their side as they were cheering on the hill. I dont recall the full encounter bt they threatened her. Which is why she called them scummy.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
A normal empathetic reaction to seeing people cheering the deaths of people of others they consider subhuman filth?

How do you know that's what the people cheering feel? Perhaps they were cheering the Iron Dome intercepting missiles fired by Hamas.

Even if they were behaving in as disgusting a manner as you claim, why can't it be attributed to desperation, anger, anxiety, ignorance, etc?

The settlers threatened her to report only their side as they were cheering on the hill. I dont recall the full encounter bt they threatened her. Which is why she called them scummy.

I understand the situation. She reacted unprofessionally on twitter. And whoever decided to remove her also reacted unprofessionally. She could have been instructed to remove the tweet and issue an apology, it would have been enough.

I'll admit that I don't know a damn thing about this conflict, but why is Jerusalem divided and why shouldn't it be under the complete control of Israel?

For the record, I'm in favor of declaring Jerusalem an international territory and world heritage site.

1967 borders give East Jerusalem to Palestine and Jerusalem is a place special to Muslims as well as Jews and Christians

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
1. You asked why she would make the tweet, I answered you.

2. It certainly does not hurt them.

1. My point is that just as it is obvious she reacted emotionally, the same can be said about the children cheering on the hill. Does it excuse the behavior? Of course not, but it provides extremely important context.

2. Every single reaction to removing her seems to be harmful to Israeli perception in the media, as it should be.

nib95

Banned
I found a full text of the article using google web cache. Its not working on mobile. But in any case heres is the text. Very heartfelt and human article that reminds us of our humanity. Thanks for posting.

That end...damn. Choked me up a bit. Poor kid. Must be weird growing up in a city or country where there's so much animosity and hate towards your people. Even calls for torture, murder, even genocide by some, from politicians too. All the while the realisation that so much of it is actually be acted upon all the time. Must be traumatising.

How do you know that's what the people cheering feel? Perhaps they were cheering the Iron Dome intercepting missiles fired by Hamas.

Even if they were behaving in as disgusting a manner as you claim, why can't it be attributed to desperation, anger, anxiety, ignorance, etc?

I understand the situation. She reacted unprofessionally on twitter. And whoever decided to remove her also reacted unprofessionally. She could have been instructed to remove the tweet and issue an apology, it would have been enough.

In the day and age when Reporters Report and tow the corporate line, One reporter tells it like it is and she is called Unprofessional, I would call it a human response

LNBL

Why should she apologize for calling people that threatened her scum?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
In the day and age when Reporters Report and don't toe the corporate line, One reporter tells it like it is and she is called Unprofessional, I would call it a human response

Of course it's a human response. Why are misbehaving kids cheering the Iron Dome defense system not seen in the same context?

As a reporter, I'm pretty sure you know it's problematic to go on twitter and call the same people you're covering 'scum', even if they are.

My google fu is weak... Thanks! Although the French translation (?) has more to it than the Haaretz one. In the former, he talks about his childhood, his time in a Jewish school, Israeli writers and the Catcher in the Rye. Weird. Maybe he wrote a different text for the French newspaper. Regardless, very powerful.

1. My point is that just as it is obvious she reacted emotionally, the same can be said about the children cheering on the hill. Does it excuse the behavior? Of course not, but it provides extremely important context.

2. Every single reaction to removing her seems to be harmful to Israeli perception in the media, as it should be.
I agree context is important which is that she didnt call them scum just because they were cheering. Its because they threatned her. But in the end I agree that she probably shouldnt have tweeted that. Maybe keep reporting the fcts and let those douchebags display their full behavior on tv some more.

StuKen

Watch the video, they are cheering as Israeli missiles hit Gaza. Its a guided missile that can be seen flying in a controlled manner and then changing course just before impact. Hamas don't have that kind of hardware at their disposal. What kind of fucked up value system do you have that people actively cheering murder is less abhorrent than someone calling out that kind of barbaric behavior?

Of course it's a human response. Why are misbehaving kids cheering the Iron Dome defense system not seen in the same context?

As a reporter, I'm pretty sure you know it's problematic to go on twitter and call the same people you're covering 'scum', even if they are.

There is a difference between cheering the Iron Dome saving you and cheering for the missiles killing children across the border.

LNBL

Interesting tweet if you compare it to other athletes and public figures that retract these kind of messages or avoid posting them due to the backlash they might get.

18772def82504892ec6927b5da531919.png

Though, Mario Balotelli is known for not giving a shit what others say.

nib95

Banned

Lol at your level of misdirection and obfuscation. You're doing the PR for them.

They weren't cheering the iron dome defence system but Israeli missiles hitting Gaza. Not something new either. For many days now there's been videos of Israelis celebrating the airstrikes on Gaza (especially on that strip). Most of them aren't kids either but adults.

But I doubt that's the main reason why she called them scum. More so the fact that they personally threatened her, and said they'd total them if they reported anything negative.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Watch the video, they are cheering as Israeli missiles hit Gaza. Its a guided missile that can be seen flying in a controlled manner and then changing course just before impact. Hamas don't have that kind of hardware at their disposal. What kind of fucked up value system do you have that people actively cheering murder is less abhorrent than someone calling out that kind of barbaric behavior?

Why do you try to equate the two?

One is coming from children who are angry and tired of living under the threat of rockets for many years, while the other is coming from an adult reporter that is reacting to a singular incident.

What makes you so sure those children always had such hateful attitudes? Isn't it more reasonable to assume they were gradually dehumanized over years of being exposed to conflict?

Lol at your level of misdirection and obfuscation. You're doing the PR for them.

They weren't cheering the iron dome defence system but Israeli missiles hitting Gaza. Not something new either. For many days now there's been videos of Israelis celebrating the airstrikes on Gaza (especially on that strip). Most of them aren't kids either but adults.

But I doubt that's the main reason why she called them scum. More so the fact that they personally threatened her, and said they'd total them if they reported anything negative.
Not trying to create any misdirection. The actual point I want to make is that emotions are too high across the board, and that only means bad things for ending the current conflict any time soon.

One is coming from children who are angry and tired of living under the threat of rockets for many years, while the other is coming from an adult reporter that is reacting to a singular incident.

What makes you so sure those children always had such hateful attitudes? Isn't it more reasonable to assume they were gradually dehumanized over years of being exposed to conflict?
You're forgetting that Hamas only have fireworks. Kids love fireworks! Life is like one long July 4th for those lucky tykes!

Kraftwerk

Anyone watching the conference?

I love how Obama only talks about this from the perspective of Israel.

"While I was on the phone with the prime minister, I heard sirens go off in tel-aviv"

"We support Israel military operations"

And he said something about it's O.K for Israel to defend themselves.

The stream was choppy, so correct me if I misquoted him and he said anything form the perspective of Palestine.

Shouldn't be surprised at this point I guess.

nib95

Banned
Who shot first? There should be more context given.

If you ask that question, you've already lost the point of context altogether. It'd not about who shot first. It's about why Israel is continuing their half century long brutal occupation of Palestine, and continuing their illegal expansion programmes, demoliting Palestinian structures, and displacing hundreds of Palestinian people, week in week out for decades on end now.

That's the real context here, and the root cause of the tensions in the first place.

LNBL

Who shot first? There should be more context given.

The latest round of fighting was sparked when members of Hamas in the West Bank murdered three Israeli youths who were studying there on June 10. Though the Hamas members appear to have acted without approval from their leadership, which nonetheless praised the attack, Israel responded by arresting large numbers of Hamas personnel in the West Bank and with air strikes against the group in Gaza.
http://www.vox.com/2014/7/17/5902177/9-questions-about-the-israel-palestine-conflict-you-were-too

Add to this the story that Hamas denies killing those kids and you'll have a rather good idea about what started this mess.

Zaph

Interesting tweet if you compare it to other athletes and public figures that retract these kind of messages or avoid posting them due to the backlash they might get.

18772def82504892ec6927b5da531919.png

Though, Mario Balotelli is known for not giving a shit what others say.

Dude's Italian and his business ties are in Europe. Just like British celebrities, he can say the truth without repercussion.

The only people scrambling to delete tweets or express sorrow for "both sides" are Americans or those with strong business links to America. The rest of the world is against current Israeli policies.

nib95

Banned
Those kids all seemed at least late teens mid-late twenties.

14open_sderot1-master1050.jpg

ShowImage.ashx

Not saying they were all cheering the missiles and air strikes hitting Gaza, but the demographic certainly doesn't seem like mostly children. Nor does it in any of the videos, far from it in fact.

Crisco

Banned
It's really appalling just how inherently dishonest the media is when reporting on this violence. They still speak of it in terms that suggest an even handed conflict between two credible militaries. Of course, it's more like a civilian police force cracking down on gang violence in a poor minority neighborhood. The sad thing is the LAPD and drug funded gangs are on much more even footing than the Israelis and the Palestinians. Even then, the LAPD doesn't bomb and murder hundreds of civilians when going after crime.

"While I was on the phone with the prime minister, I heard sirens go off in tel-aviv"

The stream was choppy, so correct me if I misquoted him and he said anything form the perspective of Palestine.

Yeah, I'm watching it too. I can't say I'm surprised, but I can't help but feel disgusted.

StuKen

As has already been said this behavior is happening in many places and its not mostly children. But if you want to play the reciprocal rationalization game lets look at this from a Gazan standpoint. 200:1 kill ratio this conflict, 25:1 over the last ten years, 15% of the population has had a family member killed by the IDF, living under a land sea and air blockade, routine access to food, electricity and sanitation cut offs by the Israelis. At what point can they say enough is enough and lash out? Oh right they sure as shit cant. Not in a world where cheering their deaths is somehow less offensive than saying you shouldn't cheer those same deaths.

Its common knowledge if you don't support Israel more than your own 50 states then you are not supporting Israel's right to exist, Ever notice every state of the union no matter who is the president has the sentence of Israel being are best friend popping out of nowhere when nothing is even going on there?

Just about what I expected. Israel has America on a very tight leash. You BETTER tow the line. If you step out of line in any way, there will be hell to pay. Look at all the people forced to delete their tweets or reporters pulled from Gazq for showing Israel as an aggressor.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Not saying they were all cheering the missiles and air strikes hitting Gaza, but the demographic certainly doesn't seem like mostly children. Nor does it in any of the videos, far from it in fact.

Lets say they are all behaving like absolute scums, isn't it more reasonable to attribute that behavior to being gradually dehumanised over years of living in a conflict zone, under the threat of rocket fire?

I'm not a journalist but I'm pretty sure a reporter has enough common sense to consider such a possibility.

And just in case this gets lost, I'll I'm saying is that she reacted unprofessionally for a reporter in her situation. I think whoever had her removed also reacted unprofessionally.

As has already been said this behavior is happening in many places and its not mostly children. But if you want to play the reciprocal rationalization game lets look at this from a Gazan standpoint. 200:1 kill ratio this conflict, 25:1 over the last ten years, 15% of the population has had a family member killed by the IDF, living under a land sea and air blockade, routine access to food, electricity and sanitation cut offs by the Israelis. At what point can they say enough is enough and lash out? Oh right they sure as shit cant. Not in a world where cheering their deaths is somehow less offensive than saying you shouldn't cheer those same deaths.
You're putting words in my mouth.

genjiZERO

Lets say they are all behaving like absolute scums, isn't it more reasonable to attribute that behavior to being gradually dehumanised over years of living in a conflict zone, under the threat of rocket fire?

I'm not a journalist but I'm pretty sure a reporter has enough common sense to consider such a possibility.

And just in case this gets lost, I'll I'm saying is that she reacted unprofessionally for a reporter in her situation. I think whoever had her removed also reacted unprofessionally.

Is it not a scummy thing to do?

StuKen

You're putting words in my mouth.

Tell me then. You rationalized their behavior as a conditioning in a war zone. What level of action is acceptable for a Gazan when the conditions they endure every day is orders of magnitude more horrific than anything an Israeli has experienced since 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom