• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

jelly

My understanding is that when she was Home Secretary, she was an absolute authoritarian. I haven't seen the story you mention but it's shit.

Also, she's not human.

I think she is a loner in reality, doesn't work well with others. Not so much authoritarian but a micro manager which is perhaps loosely similar but she isn't a iron fist.

She does have this target of destroying your rights and privacy for some reason, to balance police cuts?

Boris talking today, rule the waves, unicorns, colonial, EU bureaucrats is my expectation.

Xando

Looks like the European Parliament, following testimony from Juncker and Barnier, are going to recommend today that sufficient process hasn't been made in the negotiations to move onto the next phase. That'll go down well at the conference I'm sure.

Tim Shipman, a journalist with some pretty great sources amongst the Conservative Party, is reporting that there will be 'big news' in May's speech tomorrow. Could just be domestic stuff, or it could be a reaction to that.

EU was never going to agree to the next phase. Despite a change of tone in the florence speech the UK is still way more interested in negotiating with itself than the EU.

hodgy100

I voted the way I did because I felt problems, serious problems weren't getting listened to. Not only they weren't getting listened to they were being ridiculed by people who couldn't possibly understand said problems. We've had decades of this narrow minded fingers in the ear approach to our EU membership by our politicians. Ultimately I blame the Blair regime, by the time the country saw through his spin and saw the huge social damage he was doing it was too late to recover.

What is clear is that there is an attempt to bully this country into political submission of the masses which is just serving to increase my resolve. I'd rather be a poor free man than a slightly less poor servant, sorry.

well you are most likely to be a poor servant with brexit so we all get both the bad things!

I agree that there are serious problems dude and that people aren't being listened to.
People in full time employment are having to rely on food banks, there is bugger all job stability at the lower end of the job market with this "gig economy" that the government keep supporting. people go to uni and spend tens of thousands of pounds for it to never be paid back because they still cant get a job that will cover all those costs meaning the tax payer shoulders the burden, its all gonna collapse at some point.

But don't you see that Brexit will magnify and make all those problems worse?

We lean on corporations and the upper class to foot the burden as it is, and I argue we need to lean on them harder to contribute more to society. Brexit makes this more difficult. it shovels money out of the UK and into other European countries Businesses are getting shut down or bought out due to devaluation of the pound and uncertainty (ARM, Monarch to name a couple) we will probably loose the banking passport meaning we take a hit to our financial services economy which is the main industry of many large cities in the UK.

Brexit ultimately wont punch the elites. it will punch the slightly better off family up the street from you.

jelly

Yeah, Brexit will just give the UK government an excuse for the next 30 years or eternity. Hard times, tough decisions, sacrifice and that's for us. Public services are going down big time and it's going to hurt and may never recover. Tories are loving it.

Jackpot

Banned
I voted the way I did because I felt problems, serious problems weren't getting listened to. Not only they weren't getting listened to they were being ridiculed by people who couldn't possibly understand said problems. We've had decades of this narrow minded fingers in the ear approach to our EU membership by our politicians. Ultimately I blame the Blair regime, by the time the country saw through his spin and saw the huge social damage he was doing it was too late to recover.

What is clear is that there is an attempt to bully this country into political submission of the masses which is just serving to increase my resolve. I'd rather be a poor free man than a slightly less poor servant, sorry.

What problems? What damage?

Gove and Leadsom were her opponents, she seemed amazing by comparison.

Indeed.

Leadsom with absolutely no experience of government, and Gove with only his own ego to serve.

There's just simply no younger or inspirational talent in the party - not in the front bench anyway. Just the same old faces. In fact, probably Ruth Davidson is the closest we get to that. When you think back to 1997 and Tony Blair. And you look at Macron and Trudeau. Then we just have a bunch of old self-interested idiots to choose from.

And I think that's partially why Labour is having so much success. Because the opposition don't come across as a bunch of self-interested, self-serving twats.

My understanding is that when she was Home Secretary, she was an absolute authoritarian. I haven't seen the story you mention but it's shit.

Also, she's not human.

Which story? The no one taking the PM position or the Sadiq Khan? The no one taking the PM position was from my assumption since so many people kept resigning, which I'm probably wrong about. The Sadiq Khan one I found here, she just says Sadiq was doing a good job and nothing about what Trump said.

Do you know why you’ve had a terrible time with our European members of Parliament - people voted Farage into that institution. The same slug who had no interest in benefitting the United Kingdom and turning our contribution to EU laws into a joke.

Also don’t fool yourself about being a “poor free man”. No matter what you’re always going to be somebody’s servant. Your self flagellation here in the name of “British purity” is saddening.

Jonnax

What do you think of the almost 3000 people that lost their jobs at Monarch yesterday?
Their costs had increased £50 million due to Brexit?

Just the price of your imaginary control?
If you're upset about people mocking you then explain what being a servant means. Or what your serious problems are.

Because if they're so serious you should be able to explain them in terms other than empty emotional platitudes.

Par Score

Would you care to be a little more specific about these "serious problems" and "social damage"?

I mean I can have a pretty good guess, but it would be ever so nice if you spelled it out.

jelly

Economics Editor, Financial Times.

dk55-v1w4aqsbnstlr2s.jpg

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/913801918174121984

Uzzy

EU was never going to agree to the next phase. Despite a change of tone in the florence speech the UK is still way more interested in negotiating with itself than the EU.

Oh for sure. It was clear a while back that there would be a delay at the very least. It's concerning though as it'll give ammo to the mob that think we should just walk away as the EU aren't interested in negotiating. May demanding that the talks move onto the next phase or we'll walk away would be a very popular move, at least at the conference.

kmag

I guess it's about weighing up the desired goals of the group at hand. The problem with "negotiating with terrorists" is that it legitimises terror as a means of achieving your goals. But if the terrorism is continuing unabated with no end in sight, and the group committing the terror have a fairly codified, achievable aim (ie a power sharing agreement in Northern Ireland, as opposed to the creation of a European Islamic Caliphate, for example) then I guess you have to weigh up the likelihood of that solution being "enough" and ending the violence. In this case, clearly it was.

Don't forget that the troubles had terrorists on 'both' sides, with the British being a somewhat biased and conflicted party in the middle (and you can add the Irish government into that mix as well). The GFA was as much about brokering the peace between the two opposing terrorist groups as it was about a settlement between the IRA and the British. It was actually a six way agreement (British government, Irish government, Unionist terrorists, Nationalist terrorists, the people of NI and the people of the ROI) with the US mediating and the EU structures unpinning.

kmag

Oh for sure. It was clear a while back that there would be a delay at the very least. It's concerning though as it'll give ammo to the mob that think we should just walk away as the EU aren't interested in negotiating. May demanding that the talks move onto the next phase or we'll walk away would be a very popular move, at least at the conference.

May basically walked back a central thrust of the Florence speech this morning. She's back to saying that the transition/implementation could be piecemeal by sector, where at Florence she accepted the principle that it couldn't be.

Xando

I agree but the EU shouldn't and is not concerened with the british mob anymore. They're looking out to get the best deal for themselves.

I still expect May to ultimately walk away once she's close to get kicked out as a last resort to keep brexiteers happy.

May basically walked back a central thrust of the Florence speech this morning. She's back to saying that the transition/implementation could be piecemeal by sector, where at Florence she accepted the principle that it couldn't be.

As i said earlier. May is still more concerned with what brexiteers think of her than coming to a acceptable solution for the UK and EU.

slider

Which story? The no one taking the PM position or the Sadiq Khan? The no one taking the PM position was from my assumption since so many people kept resigning, which I'm probably wrong about. The Sadiq Khan one I found here, she just says Sadiq was doing a good job and nothing about what Trump said.

I realise now that I didn't phrase my post very well. The "shit" comment was about her not wanting a yes man. And that yes man story is the one I haven't seen yet.

Cheers.

Xando

...Apologies if I'm utterly dumb on this, but does that potentially mean we could be riding off the cliff edge a lot sooner than we're scheduled to?

Dunno really. Technically the UK leaves in march 2019 so borders would have to be established on that day.

Unless UK leaves earlier (Not sure that's possible?) nothing will change until march 2019.

*Splinter

...Apologies if I'm utterly dumb on this, but does that potentially mean we could be riding off the cliff edge a lot sooner than we're scheduled to?
I don't think they can change the leave date, this is just the EU refusing to continue negotiations unless the UK caves on all points.

Uzzy

What happens now??

I believe that the formal decision on whether or not to move onto the next stage of the talks lies with the heads of state, the European Council. But I don't think they'll give the go-ahead.

We won't have to wait long to see the Conservative reaction though. Boris is due to talk today.

kmag

Just read headline from the guardian "Gove says Brexit will boost exports of pigs' ears". Seems like a comedy bit straight out of Private Eye.

Btw to the surprise of no one, turns out Gove was talking nonsense. EU regulations don't require an ear tag.

DLJXwzVXkAU9Xj5.jpg

TimmmV

I guess it's about weighing up the desired goals of the group at hand. The problem with "negotiating with terrorists" is that it legitimises terror as a means of achieving your goals. But if the terrorism is continuing unabated with no end in sight, and the group committing the terror have a fairly codified, achievable aim (ie a power sharing agreement in Northern Ireland, as opposed to the creation of a European Islamic Caliphate, for example) then I guess you have to weigh up the likelihood of that solution being "enough" and ending the violence. In this case, clearly it was.

I've never really bought the logic that negotiating with terrorists just makes it a viable tactic - violence unfortunately is a fairly effective way of getting yourself heard.

It probably does ultimately come down to a combination of how reasonable the terrorists objectives are, and how many innocent people they are harming

I believe UK representation in EU institutions halted from the moment Article 50 was invoked, including in the Parliament; so no.

No, the UK remain full members of the EU a with an EU commissioner until the day of exit. Theresa May has stopped attending some portions of EU a council meetings but that’s about it

RenditMan

Banned
What do you think of the almost 3000 people that lost their jobs at Monarch yesterday?
Their costs had increased £50 million due to Brexit?

Just the price of your imaginary control?
If you're upset about people mocking you then explain what being a servant means. Or what your serious problems are.

Because if they're so serious you should be able to explain them in terms other than empty emotional platitudes.

An airline the size of Monarch getting brought down by a measly £50 million is no-ones fault but Monarchs.

How do you feel about Chocolate manufacturing jobs getting outbid by other EU manufacturing under cutting it if we're tit for tatting...

*Splinter

An airline the size of Monarch getting brought down by a measly £50 million is no-ones fault but Monarchs.

How do you feel about Chocolate manufacturing jobs getting outbid by other EU manufacturing under cutting it if we're tit for tatting...
Why are EU manufacturing companies able to oudbid ours? Is that not the fault of the UK manufacturing industry?

theaface

How about you answer the near dozen other questions people put to you about your flimsy and easily-debunked reasons for voting leaving before putting your own questions to others?

No, the UK remain full members of the EU a with an EU commissioner until the day of exit. Theresa May has stopped attending some portions of EU a council meetings but that’s about it

Incorrect. British MEPs continue to hold their seats and vote.

Thanks for clarifying that. From re-reading Article 50, it seems to only mandate exclusion of the UK, from Council discussions regarding its exit.

I know right... you'd think they'd have had detailed survival plans for something like Brexit. Everyone should have been prepared like our governm... ahh, wait.

You attempted to deflect off of this via raising some issue with chocolate, but I think this is an interesting point you've made and I'd like you to elaborate on it.

Your claim is that Monarch getting brought down by rising costs to the tune of £50 million caused by the post-Brexit landscape was Monarch's own fault.

Are you aware that margins are extremely slim in the airline industry?

But I note that you don't actually debate that the £50 million increase in costs was due to Brexit.

Would you therefore confirm that you accept that Monarch being brought down by the raising in costs due to Brexit is a real-world example of Brexit causing the collapse of a company to the tune of several thousand jobs and many thousands of customers losing their flights?

After all, even if you think Monarch was vulnerable and their vulnerability was their own fault, the rise in costs is what killed them.

jelly

I've got a good one. ARM getting sold to Japan's Softbank because the pound caved so much making them an easy target for being bought out on the cheap. How do you feel about that?

Irminsul

I'm guessing I'm looking in completely the wrong place:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/plenary/en/votes.html

Now the roll call votes are available [PDF], but I think those aren't the actual vote results (being a roll call and everything).

I think the results you're looking for are on page 67 / 68.

According to this, all of EPP (conservatives, but not the Tories), S&D (social democrats), ALDE (liberals), and Greens/EFA voted in favour with most of the GUE/NGL (left-wing) doing so as well. Most, but not all of ECR (conservatives including Tories), EFDD (right-wing populists) voted against, while everyone but one of each the independents and the ENF (right-wing populists and extremists) voted against.

oilvomer

I want to remain strictly Switzerland in this Monarch airline debate. all I will say is Brexit was 'one' of the reasons it failed, it certainly was not the only reason, in fact they were never big enough to survive, and was in a lot of trouble before the pound collapse and some of you may remember they nearly collapsed a little while ago..

it would seem the main reason was terrorism in Egypt and Turkey as it meant there was a large shift to Western Europe for holidays, and that squeezed Moarch to breaking point

also worth noting Monarch went at the last minute to the Goverment to ask for a bridging loan, this was refused... so if we want to blame anyone look squarely at number 10, which I find odd as they needed 165 million, yet it has cost tax payers payers 60 million to bring everyone home, would of made fiscal sense to give the loan to protect all those jobs, guess Monarch should of pretended to be a bank

*Splinter

I want to remain strictly Switzerland in this Monarch airline debate. all I will say is Brexit was 'one' of the reasons it failed, it certainly was not the only reason, in fact they were never big enough to survive, and was in a lot of trouble before the pound collapse and some of you may remember they nearly collapsed a little while ago..

it would seem the main reason was terrorism in Egypt and Turkey as it meant there was a large shift to Western Europe for holidays, and that squeezed Moarch to breaking point

also worth noting Monarch went at the last minute to the Goverment to ask for a bridging loan, this was refused... so if we want to blame anyone look squarely at number 10, which I find odd as they needed 165 million, yet it has cost tax payers payers 60 million to bring everyone home, would of made fiscal sense to give the loan to protect all those jobs, guess Monarch should of pretended to be a bank
Would that "bridging loan" have been a sure/permanent fix though?

Top Bottom