• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

liquidtmd

Banned
According the the BBC, if it is was not for Brexit their reporter was told (off the record) she would be gone all ready, there was a feeling after the Election, Greenfall tower would of made her resign, but there is a swelling of MP's who are gathering numbers with a view of to going to her on the quiet to get her to resign

Yeah, tbh I get the feeling the Tories absolutely will not sack her as she makes for a good punching bag.

During Brexit negotiations criticism was always going to be high. Tories keep her in, let her take all the (much of it deserved) shit, they ditch her and then spend years saying 'it was all Theresa, we tried to stop her we really did'

Bullshit bingo when that happens

'Fresh start'
'Lessons will be learnt'
'We cannot repeat the mistakes of the past'
'We have listened'

Yeah, tbh I get the feeling the Tories absolutely will not sack her as she makes for a good punching bag.

During Brexit negotiations criticism was always going to be high. Tories keep her in, let her take all the (much of it deserved) shit, they ditch her and then spend years saying 'it was all Theresa, we tried to stop her we really did'

Bullshit bingo when that happens

'Fresh start'
'Lessons will be learnt'
'We cannot repeat the mistakes of the past'
'We have listened'
Pretty much. She's staying in her seat to act as a lightning rod. It's obviously a job no one wants to do, and you can be certain they'll thrown you under the bus as soon as it's done. I respect her loyalty more than her cowardly colleagues who were actually for a Brexit, but didn't want to get their hands dirty.

keep

Let's be real for five minutes, she's not there for the "service of the people". If she was, she would be willing to listen to the 48% of the country that is telling her Brexit is a crazy idea. She is there out of naked ambition and doing what she feels is right for her own survival.

She's a power grabber, not some sort of Brexit martyr, so she deserves everything she is getting.

Posted without commentary...

A Brexit official in the Business Department also suggested in the message that Amazon reviews could replace the “CE European standards mark” in the eyes of online shoppers. The revelations immediately sparked concerns that the system for ensuring the safety of electrical equipment, toys, machinery, medical devices and other products could be watered down after Britain quits the EU.

The CE marking shows that a manufacturer has checked that their products meet EU safety, health or environmental requirements, indicates compliance with EU legislation and allows the free movement of products within the European market. In the email, the Brexit official asks for any “evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that businesses are saying they don’t want divergence”.

She then adds: “Similarly, any sectors who are suggesting they would like early divergence (we are also looking for quick wins!)”.

The message then discusses the shift in shopping trends to online.

“I actually wonder, given the UK consumer penchant for internet shopping, the extent to which an Amazon review will supersede any mark to demonstrate conformity with safety requirements,” the official says.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...fety-checks-with-amazon-reviews-a3650231.html

Let's be real for five minutes, she's not there for the "service of the people". If she was, she would be willing to listen to the 48% of the country that is telling her Brexit is a crazy idea. She is there out of naked ambition and doing what she feels is right for her own survival.

She's a power grabber, not some sort of Brexit martyr, so she deserves everything she is getting.
Oh, not for the people. She's the martyr for her party.

"Amazon reviews could replace the “CE European standards mark”"

Nah, this is all a practical joke. Nobody would be daft enough to actually say that.

liquidtmd

Banned
Posted without commentary...

Amazon reviews could replace the �CE European standards mark� in the eyes of online shoppers

a8768e32e922744f3a35272ba5ea3c09.gif

Bleepey

I always assumed the British dream for most Conservatives to be some sort of Just William-esque rural wonderland where the village gets together for picnics, and all the kids buy sweets in paper bags and say "cor!" a lot. Basically a Disney-fied version of inter-war Britain that never really existed

Basically Enid Blyton's Famous Five
hqdefault.jpg

books . Where kids can go scrimping for apples, in Farmer Craddock's orchard.

Also:

https://vimeo.com/78985623

lol

They'll just bring back bsi, which will be an exact replication of ce standards

Another couple of nuggets to add to the impending doom - New car sales are down for the first time in 6 years and construction has hit it's first slow down in a long time.

Brexit or not a market correction is incoming as the recovery from the last crash has been largely a mirage built on (more) cheap credit

TimmmV

I always assumed the British dream for most Conservatives to be some sort of Just William-esque rural wonderland where the village gets together for picnics, and all the kids buy sweets in paper bags and say "cor!" a lot. Basically a Disney-fied version of inter-war Britain that never really existed

I thought of it more like a combination of that old hovis advert and a werthers original one

That or beating Germany in football.

Too unrealistic even for a dream

They'll just bring back bsi, which will be an exact replication of ce standards

Another couple of nuggets to add to the impending doom - New car sales are down for the first time in 6 years and construction has hit it's first slow down in a long time.

Brexit or not a market correction is incoming as the recovery from the last crash has been largely a mirage built on (more) cheap credit

New car sales were always going to slow after the road tax hike for new vehicles. The rate of road tax paid is significantly higher for vehicles registered post-April (I think?), which led to a a little spike, followed by this fall.

jelly

http://www.politico.eu/article/us-rounds-on-britain-over-food-quotas-as-post-brexit-trade-woes-deepen/?utm_content=buffer32613&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The U.S. and other international trade heavyweights have dashed Prime Minister Theresa May’s hopes of a smooth Brexit by rejecting one of her core plans for reintegrating into global trade networks.

Washington’s slap-down of Britain is the second big trade reality check for May in less than a fortnight. Only last week, the U.K.’s increasingly fragile position in trade disputes was exposed by the country’s inability to prevent new, ultra-high tariffs from the U.S. that could hit thousands of jobs in a plane factory in Northern Ireland.

In a fast-developing second trade spat, Washington has teamed up with Brazil, Argentina, Canada, New Zealand, Uruguay and Thailand to reject Britain’s proposed import arrangements for crucial agricultural goods such as meat, sugar and grains after Brexit. The fact that the U.K.’s opponents include the U.S., Canada and New Zealand is a significant setback because Britain is trying to style its former colonies as natural strategic and commercial allies after it has quit the EU.

Screwed?

We'll get hammered by this. Countries that have their goods restricted by an EU import quota are not going to like being told that they must split now their sales between the UK and rEU according to some arbitrary factor decided by the UK and rEU without their input.
And the WTO will agree, since the whole point of it is to stop one or two nations unilaterally fucking over the others.

Uzzy

It's fine, if the WTO stand in the way of our sovereignty, we'll just crash out the WTO with no deal. There's a whole world of countries outside the WTO that are just waiting to do free trade deals with us.

Dougald

Screwed. Would LOVE to see the Brexiteers in comment sections jump through the mental gymnastics to explain how this doesn't matter and how glorious, prosperous freedom still awaits us all.

We'll just play hard ball and go to WTO rules take up Juche

keep

Anyone else going to watch the C4 News Remain debate at 7pm tonight?

I am watching and it's quite UNEDIFYING to be honest. Not on the cringeworthy-christ-you-are-thick-as-pigshit level of the "Leave debate" but some of the sub-par generalisations and simplistic accusations flying around are as embarrassing as some of the stuff you hear on Question Time.

theaface

May forced to delay China trade mission because of Trump clash

Theresa May has been forced to delay a long-awaited trade mission to China after Beijing chose to prioritise a visit by US President Donald Trump.

Sky News has learnt that Downing Street officials had been co-ordinating plans for a trip to take place next month, with dozens of business leaders alerted to the possibility of joining her as she attempts to forge crucial post-Brexit trade ties with the world's second-largest economy.

Sources said the visit had been pencilled in for several days during the week of 6 November, with Parliament scheduled to be in recess from 7 to 13 November.

They added, however, that it was postponed earlier this week because Downing Street officials were informed by China's government that it would not be able to accommodate her in such close proximity to an Asian tour by President Trump.

This new outward-looking, independent, prosperous and sovereign Britain sure is looking pretty good with all these trade deals lined up!

A sick part of me is actually slightly enjoying this. I reckon this exclusive diet of 'We told you so' could sustain me for at least the next decade.

RenditMan

Banned
May forced to delay China trade mission because of Trump clash

This new outward-looking, independent, prosperous and sovereign Britain sure is looking pretty good with all these trade deals lined up!

A sick part of me is actually slightly enjoying this. I reckon this exclusive diet of 'We told you so' could sustain me for at least the next decade.

We can't sign any deals and have now said we'll tie ourselves to a transitional deal where we can't sign deals.

China and Trump have more pressing issues we are a long way of from being ready to talk to anyone. The EU has been cleverly designed to stop countries leaving this is apparent.

Maledict

Makes me wonder how long the mandate for brexit should last if we end up in some limbo transitional period for several years while the old leave voters die off.

From the numbers from the referendum, natural population change means that Remain would win in 2019 purely from older people dying and younger people becoming eligible to vote.

We can't sign any deals and have now said we'll tie ourselves to a transitional deal where we can't sign deals.

China and Trump have more pressing issues we are a long way of from being ready to talk to anyone. The EU has been cleverly designed to stop countries leaving this is apparent.

It's not like we have anything to offer china anyway, I can already predict how it'll go.

May: "Give us a trade deal, we'll give you uhhh... potatos?"
China rep: " We want more access to your universities and that chinese people can stay in the UK for longer, then we'll buy your potatoes".
May: "World trade organisation rules it is!" *walks off with middle finger raised at behind her*.

Basically like the shitshow with India earlier, because the UK has nothing of value to trade.

chadskin

Germany and France have dashed British hopes of fast-tracking talks on a two-year post-Brexit transition deal, insisting that the UK’s EU divorce bill be resolved first.

British officials had hoped that EU leaders would jump-start negotiations at a high-profile Brussels summit in two weeks by approving the opening of talks on a transition period after Britain’s exit in 2019, which Theresa May proposed in her Florence address last month.

But according to European diplomats, a Germany-led group of EU countries has demanded more clarity on the long-term financial commitments Britain will honour. The UK insists it will only do this once the shape of its future relationship with the EU is clear, including a transition period.
One EU ambassador told his colleagues: “We are not here to save the Tory party.”
https://www.ft.com/content/9229c870-aab3-11e7-93c5-648314d2c72c

Top Bottom