• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
I went travelling in Thailand twice, once for about 6 weeks, and then again for 3. Was amazing. Travelled pretty much the length of the country and then went into Vietnam for a while before coming back to fly out home. Really great place to stay. First time we went we backpacked around, second time we stayed in a few of the more flashier places as a bit of a treat. Well worth going.

That's good to know. Looks like we're going to be staying there for at least a year anyway.

Ding-Ding

What the fuck.

Has GAF had a recruiting drive on Guildhall Walk or something?

Honestly I wouldn't know where that is. My family moved out of Portsmouth when I was just a baby and I have only been back twice since.

Hence why I say Brighton is my hometown, well Hove actually (in joke for anyone else from the Brighton area)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I just bought 8 cream eggs for a pound.

I'm tempted to buy more to bribe the boss with.

Diabetes is no laughing matter, nor is bribing a public official. (That's if you work in the public sector.)

Ugh. Isn't this that kid who thinks he's the shit for playing up the shit out of strokes/beatles style?

EDIT: Yep, recognized it from the first couple of seconds of the video and closed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_est5zPL6eo

Dude's started off amazing, I see a next Noel gallagher, Ian brown type mangod brewing up

Gregorn

I went travelling in Thailand twice, once for about 6 weeks, and then again for 3. Was amazing. Travelled pretty much the length of the country and then went into Vietnam for a while before coming back to fly out home. Really great place to stay. First time we went we backpacked around, second time we stayed in a few of the more flashier places as a bit of a treat. Well worth going.

If you don't mind, how much does this type of thing cost? The backpacking, not the flashy places.

If I go traveling I'll be able to make my dream of having an interesting Facebook wall come true.

SKINNER!

Banned
Oh, all right then. Late to the new thread party...
Where do you live: Edinburgh

Heyoo. There's a Scot-GAF meetup next month. be there or be square!

If I go traveling I'll be able to make my dream of having an interesting Facebook wall come true.

Go for the experience and having a good time! Don't spend your whole time abroad posting shit on your facebook wall :p At least wait until you get back and then just post all the pics you took.

I just bought 8 cream eggs for a pound.

Im tempted to buy more to bribe the boss with.

I got one this morning from the boss and omg it tasted good. Need to run down to home bargains.

But my body....my bodyyyy is telling me yes

tumblr_lka9rhi8aT1qadbq2o1_400.gif

Fuck it. Let's goooooo!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkk2H3Ztrfk&list=FLpZ6zSJJ5oImW3lKfKrjSrg&feature=mh_lolz

British music ain't been this good in a while, even acid house is making a comeback
I liked this. Vocals weren't the best but appreciated the sounds.

And don't get me wrong I appreciate Noel Gallagher and all that I'm not just blind hating. I just had someone link me Jake Bugg before and I still feel like he's mediocre. But opinions, and if he blows up and becomes something great I'll be happy to eat crow so Britain can have a new great artist since Amy Winehouse (adele is shit).

EDIT: lol wtf, my youtube just started playing other stuff from (im guessing) your playlist.

People, places, maps is awesome.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
If you don't mind, how much does this type of thing cost? The backpacking, not the flashy places.

It really depends on where you go, and whether you go in season or not, but you'll be able to stay in decent type places for pretty much pennies. It was a few years ago, but we were essentially paying a few quid per night, and haggling at that. We went right as the rainy season was about to start and ended up having an amazing holiday full of sunshine, empty beaches, cheap "hotels" and I think it rained maybe twice. Other people I've spoken to have had much worse luck with the weather around that time though, so your experience may vary. It was something like £5-8 a night, and that was for places which seemed pretty much alright. We weren't sharing, had our own bathrooms etc and it was okay.

The best tip I can suggest for hotels and whatnot when you're backpacking is this: book the first night in wherever you're going to next in advance online somewhere. Doesn't matter if this is at home or while you're out there, just make sure you've got somewhere that is close to wherever you want to be (whether it's the beach or whatever) sorted for that first night. Try to find somewhere reasonable, but bear in mind it's pretty tough to find actual decent places online when there are so many around. Then, as soon as you get there, drop your bags off at your room and go wandering around exploring the area and check how much the hotels are around there. You won't want to do it while carrying heavy backpacks after travelling to get there (at least my girlfriend didn't) and you'll get a much better deal if you don't look like you need the room. If you're flustered and carrying bags you'll be offered (and agree to) a much higher price than if you've had a rest, you're enjoying yourself, you look like you're just wandering down the beach and sizing up your options and you know you don't have to say yes to whatever they say.

If you're there for any decent length of time you'll quickly get a hang of how much things cost and what you want to spend for a decent room. Always pack half as much as you think you need and take twice as much money though. The food there is amazing, and really really cheap, but it all adds up. Especially if you're tuk tukking around to places and going on trips and that. Plus you'll buy clothes while you're there. Also you should go get yourself a suit from the New Boston tailors on the Khao Sahn road in Bangkok. I went there the first time I went, loved the suit so much I went back and got another a few years later and the guy who was working there remembered exactly what we'd bought just by looking at us when we came in. Incredible stuff. And the suits are great.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I liked this. Vocals weren't the best but appreciated the sounds.

And don't get me wrong I appreciate Noel Gallagher and all that I'm not just blind hating. I just had someone link me Jake Bugg before and I still feel like he's mediocre. But opinions, and if he blows up and becomes something great I'll be happy to eat crow so Britain can have a new great artist since Amy Winehouse (adele is shit).

EDIT: lol wtf, my youtube just started playing other stuff from (im guessing) your playlist.

People, places, maps is awesome.

Hell yes man, dat second verse just goes perfect.

1.15 mins into the track FTW

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
In slightly better less fish related news.

My Xperia Z came.

Its hawt.

Is it good? I want one.

Anyone know of a way I can get an upgrade before my contract runs out?

Gregorn

Also you should go get yourself a suit from the New Boston tailors on the Khao Sahn road in Bangkok. I went there the first time I went, loved the suit so much I went back and got another a few years later and the guy who was working there remembered exactly what we'd bought just by looking at us when we came in. Incredible stuff. And the suits are great.

That's insane.

I'd love to go traveling so much, a lot of people I know seem to be against the idea which is a shame, there's no way I'd want to go on my own. I've been thinking about going on a short trip around Europe so I can get used to it, since it would be cheaper, and if anything goes wrong I'm not completely fucked.

Does visiting other countries make Britain seem even more boring than it already does?

SKINNER!

Banned
Link please, my search-fu is failing me.

There you go!

Speaking of, I might have to bail on the Scotgaf meet :(

awww no worries Musha! There's always next time :)

I'm loving this Scot-GAF meetup ambassador position you've taken up. You deserve a pint 'o diesel!

It'll be such a great night. Got most of the itinerary floating in my head. All I need to grab a few more suggestions, get it written down and post it the week before the event.

Does visiting other countries make Britain seem even more boring than it already does?

The little towns/villages? yeah I guess. Towns in the US seem a lot better when they have lots of restaurants, dairy queens on each corner and hypermarkets with 27 different flavours of cheetos available.

But the cities in the UK? nope. Each one is fascinating as the other with London being just as cool as any metropolitan city on this planet.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Can somebody be happy for me about the job interview

I need to feel loved

Posting from South Korea while Bioshock installs, it's cold here too

c38.jpg

I just reinstalled the wireless adapter drivers because my internet has been lagging recently........ what was originally going to take 10 hours (XCOM) is now only going to take like....30 minutes max

Does anybody know why this has happened? Am i going to have to keep reinstalling it to keep the speed consistant?

Mikeside

Speaking of, I might have to bail on the Scotgaf meet :(

Awww, I feel bad now - that's both of us out!

I want photos of the evening to make me feel better.
PROMISE ME, SHORTY

Posting from South Korea while Bioshock installs, it's cold here too

I feel I might be taking a sudden trip across the pond when I get home, then installing Bioshock.

Just a shame I'll have to be Steam-Offline for the evening :(

Can somebody be happy for me about the job interview

I need to feel loved

Sorry bud, I didn't notice the original post.
What's the interview?
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO WEAR FOR IT?!?!

Congrats, go get 'er.

Darren870

It really depends on where you go, and whether you go in season or not, but you'll be able to stay in decent type places for pretty much pennies. It was a few years ago, but we were essentially paying a few quid per night, and haggling at that. We went right as the rainy season was about to start and ended up having an amazing holiday full of sunshine, empty beaches, cheap "hotels" and I think it rained maybe twice. Other people I've spoken to have had much worse luck with the weather around that time though, so your experience may vary. It was something like £5-8 a night, and that was for places which seemed pretty much alright. We weren't sharing, had our own bathrooms etc and it was okay.

When I went to Thailand I too went at the start of rainy season. I went for 16 days from end of may to beginning of June. It rained once on the last day.... Everything was 1/2 off and the hotel I stayed at (5 star) was ridiculously cheap.

The water though was pretty rough and a few people drowned on the beach near us while we were there. Even scuba diving was pretty rough on some of the dives. We didn't wind up going in the water on the second week just because we could see how bad it was. Even though it wasn't raining.

I'd love to go back and when I do I will once again go at the start of rainy season.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Sorry bud, I didn't notice the original post.
What's the interview?
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO WEAR FOR IT?!?!

Congrats, go get 'er.

It's an induction..so it's casual, basically if they like me they'll give me a second interview and i have to wear a suit and shit to that

It's for a job in customer service :)
or marketing

..or sales, however i made it pretty clear (without being rude) that that particular area was of no interest to me

Also might be getting an interview for a cleaner job, but im not so bothered about that anymore as it was only 12 hours a week with a 5:30am start

Jesus christ people, just wait a day!

I'm waiting...i've got xcom to fuck with :p

Where do you live:London
Where are you from: grandparents are from spain/Jamaica
University:Reading
Favourite Sport: Boxing
Political party of choice: Labour
Favourite thing on the box: Luther
Favourite crisp flavour: Ready salted
Favourite biscuit: Oreo
Favourite Pokemon POST 151: Heracross
Beano or Dandy: Beano.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
When I went to Thailand I too went at the start of rainy season. I went for 16 days from end of may to beginning of June. It rained once on the last day.... Everything was 1/2 off and the hotel I stayed at (5 star) was ridiculously cheap.

The water though was pretty rough and a few people drowned on the beach near us while we were there. Even scuba diving was pretty rough on some of the dives. We didn't wind up going in the water on the second week just because we could see how bad it was. Even though it wasn't raining.

I'd love to go back and when I do I will once again go at the start of rainy season.

Oh yeah, we didn't go in the sea very much. Although it wasn't so bad where we were. One place we went, Bottle Beach on Koh Phangan was the stillest, bluest water ever. It was incredible. But it was really shallow so there wasn't the effect of the waves so much. But I agree you absolutely need to watch out if the sea looks rough. No reason to take risks.

NinjaBoiX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkk2H3Ztrfk&list=FLpZ6zSJJ5oImW3lKfKrjSrg&feature=mh_lolz

British music ain't been this good in a while, even acid house is making a comeback
I love this track. The plinky plonky synths just get me every time.

Edit: still not really feeling Jake Bugg though. I bought the record, and he's a good songwriter, but his voice is so nasal and whiny. When he goes for a high note, I physically cringe. But he's definitely talented as a songwriter.

Gregorn

The little towns/villages? yeah I guess. Towns in the US seem a lot better when they have lots of restaurants, dairy queens on each corner and hypermarkets with 27 different flavours of cheetos available.

But the cities in the UK? nope. Each one is fascinating as the other with London being just as cool as any metropolitan city on this planet.

Oh yeah I've experienced the better US towns. If I want to go to McDonald's I'd have to spend £5.30 for a bus to get there. Swimming in at a beach in Florida completely put me off our sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom