• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hystzen

Books first, definitely.

I would say opposite that way you don't moan that the Tv show is not following the book page for page.

I think a TV viewer should experience the WTF moments on screen then in future read the books to see what is missing and the thoughts of characters

TCRS

Banned
Yeah, but then you already know about the major plot points that are not very well told in the show imo. It's a good show, but the books are so much better. Darker, broodier atmosphere, way more details.

defel

Ive watched the TV series several times - loved it. Tried to "read" the first book (audiobook) and got 3/4 into it before I just got burnt out. Dont know whether its because I knew what was going to happen or whether it was too long and meandering.

Im sure the books are better, Im just happy with the TV show. I love the "oh shit" moments while watching the show - wouldnt want to ruin that.

Hystzen

Yeah, but then you already know about the major plot points that are not very well told in the show imo. It's a good show, but the books are so much better. Darker, broodier atmosphere, way more details.

I been re reading the books and the books slow pace can kill my interest sometimes he just spent s too much time on some stupid details which is nice but just doesn't work. The last 2 books where pretty much filler Dance worse offender with obvious slight trolling cliffhanger while rest of book is plods along. I like the books but they have some issues the best part is the chapters being POV so get thoughts of current characters helps like them better or hate them more *cough* Catelyn *cough*

f0rk

The politics in Kings Landing is better in the show than I remember from the books, mostly because it isn't shackled to Sansa. Although that also makes it more suspenseful as it isn't as clear cut.

I don't know if I'd describe it as big budget, technically it is for a TV show but there are some painfully obvious cuts for budget reasons. Battles for a capital city generally aren't fought in areas the same size as my garden.

Mr. Sam

I'll throw my hat in for the books. Read the books first, found the series pretty underwhelming (though it's nice to see big budget fantasy stuff on telly I suppose).

(though it's nice to see big budget fantasy stuff on telly I suppose).

This is basically my feeling on GOT. I don't really like fantasy outside of D&D settings (my kingdom for an Eberron TV series or movie) and a few books, but it's cool to see something different do well.

Hystzen

Well maybe they'll outsource it to Volition when they're pretending to do anything with it.

They just going to release 1&2 at overcharged price then lock it away after making money from it. Paradox where in the bidding they could have made a fresh RTS experience with it instead Gearbox who not made a good game since Brothers In Arms 2 and never done anything near a RTS game

Reknoc

They just going to release 1&2 at overcharged price then lock it away after making money from it. Paradox where in the bidding they could have made a fresh RTS experience with it instead Gearbox who not made a good game since Brothers In Arms 2 and never done anything near a RTS game

Well, I disagree with part of that since I quite like Borderlands. There's nothing really stopping Paradox making HomeWorld though, just call it something different.

I'll be mostly moving my company's render farm to Amazon's cloud based computing infrastructure on St George's Day, since I have to do it when there's no one around.

I'm planning to sit at home and tut, while shaking my head at the violent and racist history of English nationalism.

Does anyone really do anything for St George's Day though?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
CHEEZMO™;54954936 said:
The EDL are the dumbest motherfuckers in the realm.

Yeah man fuck them. I deleted my cousin from my facebook for being an EDL supporter.

Just got home from a corker of a gig supporting the Physics House Band. Thoroughly nice chaps and bloody amazing band. A good time was had by all. Mike says hi. Maybe :p

SKINNER!

Banned
Not only did I manage to shake Flava Flav's and Chuck D's hand while they were on stage tonight but I also drank from Chuck D's water bottle AND got given the setlist (which I gave to my friend). The perks of being a tall-ish guy at the front. Public Enemy live are fucking incredible.

Funniest part of the night? Flava spent a whole 10 minutes talking about peace and being good to one another. You know, positive shit. and then ended it with "and if you've been drinking tonight then please drive carefully home" Responsible drinking? in Glasgow?! Had me and my friend in stitches. Oh Flava, you're still awesome.

Suairyu

Banned
It's... OK? Feels like an "album track".

I'll probably wait for the whole album before I listen again.
It does indeed feel like an album track, but then so do most of her songs. I'd like to hear the context of the before and after.

But it still sounds so good. I could lose myself in her voice.

scotcheggz

Cheezmo, was that video of the MfE from the vice report? I just bumped into it, quite the read.

Brightonians lined the route of the march, chanting things like, “From the station to the sea, Brighton will be fascist-free,” or the simple but effective rally cry of, “Small dicks!” Meanwhile, someone with a massive sound system blasted gay anthems like “I Will Survive”, combating bigotry with fierce fabulosity.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-march-for-england-was-humiliated-in-brighton-this-weekend

Only thing I'd say is that "that was that" isn't true at all, sounds like they buggered off about 2pm, because there was shit going down between EDL and well, pretty much everyone until about 5pm all over town. It was just a lot more decentralised. Hope they don't come back next year.

8bit

Knows the Score
Not only did I manage to shake Flava Flav's and Chuck D's hand while they were on stage tonight but I also drank from Chuck D's water bottle AND got given the setlist (which I gave to my friend). The perks of being a tall-ish guy at the front. Public Enemy live are fucking incredible.

Funniest part of the night? Flava spent a whole 10 minutes talking about peace and being good to one another. You know, positive shit. and then ended it with "and if you've been drinking tonight then please drive carefully home" Responsible drinking? in Glasgow?! Had me and my friend in stitches. Oh Flava, you're still awesome.

I met him about 20 years ago. In Top Man in the old Lewis' building on Argyle Street. He was stumbling through the socks with a clock around his neck and his entourage in tow.

SKINNER!

Banned
I met him about 20 years ago. In Top Man in the old Lewis' building on Argyle Street. He was stumbling through the socks with a clock around his neck and his entourage in tow.

ha, he did mention last night that the clock and jacket he wore on the Welcome to the Terrordome cover was purchased in Glasgow.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What is St Georges Day??

It's like St Patrick's day without the shamrocks and Guinness.

Or like St Andrew's day without the kilts and haggis.

Or like St David's day without the daffs, leeks and laverbread.

It is for English people, and involves pretty well nothing. Nobody wears roses, waves flags, slays dragons or any of that stuff any more. Bit of a shame really, the English have lost their way a touch.

Edit: beaten a lot, even by Musha. Happy St George's day everyone!

Juicy Bob

The thing about St. George's Day is that it can't have the same significance that St. David's Day or St. Andrew's Day or, even, St. Patrick's Day have. Culturally speaking, England is the dominant member of Great Britain. England is where the majority of British people live, where the main hub of government is based, where the Royal family live, where the most commonly spoken language comes from and where the majority of British media is made, filmed, based and broadcast from, etc.

Because of this, the national days of Scotland and Wales (and even the Rep. of Ireland too, even though they obviously aren't British), take on more significance than St. George's Day because they provide a chance for people to celebrate non-hegemonic (English) culture. In England, we don't really need a day to celebrate being 'English', when 'Englishness' is the default for everyday life in Britain, generally speaking.

Then of course, there's the issue of far-right, racist, xenophobic cunts abusing the concept of 'English nationalism' to push their hateful agendas about who should or shouldn't be accepted in our society. Which, understandably, puts a lot of people off.

3Sixty

The thing about St. George's Day is that it can't have the same significance that St. David's Day or St. Andrew's Day or, even, St. Patrick's Day have. Culturally speaking, England is the dominant member of Great Britain. England is where the majority of British people live, where the main hub of government is based, where the Royal family live, where the most commonly spoken language comes from and where the majority of British media is made, filmed, based and broadcast from, etc.

Because of this, the national days of Scotland and Wales (and even the Rep. of Ireland too, even though they obviously aren't British), take on more significance than St. George's Day because they provide a chance for people to celebrate non-hegemonic (English) culture. In England, we don't really need a day to celebrate being 'English', when 'Englishness' is the default for everyday life in Britain, generally speaking.

Then of course, there's the issue of far-right, racist, xenophobic cunts abusing the concept of 'English nationalism' to push their hateful agendas about who should or shouldn't be accepted in our society. Which, understandably, puts a lot of people off.

Top post.

defel

Ye thats exactly what I was thinking. St. Patrick's day, St. Andrew's day and St. David's day all exist as a contrast to their larger English neighbours

I think even in a world where the far right English nationalists didnt exist we still wouldnt celebrate St. George's day

The anglo saxon celebrating dragon slaying would be akin to rubbing our neighbours noses in the shit. When we start drafting up plans to teach morris dancing in schools...that's when we know our relevance as a culture and nation is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom