• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just found the place me and the flatmate are moving to.

Only problem is, it's actually two places, and we have to pick which one, and while neither have cons, they have pros in very different places.

One is a nicer location (right by a gorgeous park) and catches the sun, yet the other is bigger and has better facilities.

Both are conveniently located in their own different ways.

Both have fibre broadband so that isn't an issue.

It's a tricky choice, man.
Did you not just move a few months ago?

Just found the place me and the flatmate are moving to.

Only problem is, it's actually two places, and we have to pick which one, and while neither have cons, they have pros in very different places.

One is a nicer location (right by a gorgeous park) and catches the sun, yet the other is bigger and has better facilities.

Both are conveniently located in their own different ways.

Both have fibre broadband so that isn't an issue.

It's a tricky choice, man.

By nicer location do you literally just mean it's situated by a park and natural light, or is the area a lot safer too?

What do you mean by better facilities?

Suairyu

Banned
By nicer location do you literally just mean it's situated by a park and natural light, or is the area a lot safer too?

What do you mean by better facilities?
Location: As in closer to town (seven minute walk to waterfront Barbican), the park is lovely and has lots of natural light (houses only on one side of the road, the other side is the park), and seemed less studenty.

By better facilities I mean they look slightly newer, and it has a dishwasher, which the better location one lacks. Rooms are slightly bigger for the same price, too, and has Virgin TV basic package included which the other lacks. Not that either of us watch much TV though.

But shown the pictures to the flatmate and he's leaning towards the nicer location one, as am I now to be honest.

Did you not just move a few months ago?
Yes but it's expensive and small due to its prime location right by the waterfront. I basically moved in so I could live with the flatmate. Now that we're together (bromance), we're looking for a cheaper place with more space. The slightly smaller but better location house is only 7 mins from where we live now and is cheaper, bigger and will be much less noisy.

SKINNER!

Banned
hmm, girl I swapped numbers with 2 weeks ago just texted to ask if I wanted to play a game of chess with her at a bar. This should be interesting.

Location: As in closer to town (seven minute walk to waterfront Barbican), the park is lovely and has lots of natural light (houses only on one side of the road, the other side is the park), and seemed less studenty.

By better facilities I mean they look slightly newer, and it has a dishwasher, which the better location one lacks. Rooms are slightly bigger for the same price, too, and has Virgin TV basic package included which the other lacks. Not that either of us watch much TV though.

But shown the pictures to the flatmate and he's leaning towards the nicer location one, as am I now to be honest.

Yes but it's expensive and small due to its prime location right by the waterfront. I basically moved in so I could live with the flatmate. Now that we're together (bromance), we're looking for a cheaper place with more space. The slightly smaller but better location house is only 7 mins from where we live now and is cheaper, bigger and will be much less noisy.

If it is cheap and easy to get around where you are (or if you have a car) I'd take better facilities. If not go closer to town.

Suairyu

Banned
Yeah we decided on the better location.

Slightly less real estate for the money (but considerably more than what we have now) and lacks a dishwasher, but we're good with our hands and love the greenery, so that's what we'll pick.

hmm, girl I swapped numbers with 2 weeks ago just texted to ask if I wanted to play a game of chess with her at a bar. This should be interesting.
That's an accurate description of what two mutually attracted, not steaming drunk people do when working out if they want to a shag with each other.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well, I'm in total shock.

I just got in and got a text from one of my old colleagues from my previous job saying I have something for you, he arrives on his little bike and gets out a present and card for me.

My leaving gift, some AKG K451s - gave them a quick trial and they sound fucking awesome.

He wants to bang. FACT

SteveWD40

labF1.gif

I like the sound of her.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Yay! After 7 months I'm finally at the top of the waiting list for joining my local gun club! ^_^

Apparently I have to go to a club night though, and "give my reasons for wanting to join" before they'll let me be a member.

So, what are some non-insane sounding reasons for wanting to join a gun club?

Fake Edit: I'm now regretting posting in the "If you were a deranged serial killer..." thread earlier today. If the police are reading this as some kind of check, I'm not mental. Honest.

It's about honing your physical skills, challenging yourself. More challenging than tennis, more precise than billiards, less random than golf - plus guns are interesting (though not too interesting) - probably helps if you have or can invent a grandfather who was a sniper.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Was ever so pleased yesterday, when I sold a single gemstone pendant I'd made for £40.

We've had the shop for 11 months now, and I've always made custom stuff for customers, but that's the first time I've sold something of my own design.

Wow. Proud. Also most expensive single item we've ever sold in the shop.

Was ever so pleased yesterday, when I sold a single gemstone pendant I'd made for £40.

We've had the shop for 11 months now, and I've always made custom stuff for customers, but that's the first time I've sold something of my own design.

Wow. Proud. Also most expensive single item we've ever sold in the shop.

Wow well done you! That's really cool, don't suppose you took a pic before you sold it?

Oh and because I never join in with the posting of music in this thread, you can all have this little jem I just discovered. I cannot stop listening to it, so damn beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzk09LOxszc

Cheers for the ideas Phi. The real reason I tried to join in Sept last year was that the Olympics had just been on and it seemed like the least physically taxing sport to me! Given that I'm pretty good at accuracy based sports (especially darts), I thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately, all the clubs in the area (and Bristol has a surprisingly large number, it turns out) have huge waiting lists. Tbh, I'd pretty much forgotten about it until they rang me. I'm kind of excited now though!

Oh, and good to hear you've sold one of your own designs. Hopefully it took a bit of the sting off of doing all that new payroll stuff.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Wow well done you! That's really cool, don't suppose you took a pic before you sold it?

Rather stupidly I didn't. It's not like it was really on sale, we just got chatting about what each of us was doing and I pulled out my stuff to show her, She went wow and wanted it, I didn't really want to sell so set what I thought was a fairly high price and she bought the damn thing outright in cash.

Shame, because it was my first practise piece from before I knew what I was doing, and I wanted to keep it to remind myself how bad I was how far I had come along.#

I did also show her my latest (and better) piece, but refused to sell it. However she has first option if I decide to sell.

Got to either raise my prices or make more of them.

Or perhaps both.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Cheers for the ideas Phi. The real reason I tried to join in Sept last year was that the Olympics had just been on and it seemed like the least physically taxing sport to me! Given that I'm pretty good at accuracy based sports (especially darts), I thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately, all the clubs in the area (and Bristol has a surprisingly large number, it turns out) have huge waiting lists. Tbh, I'd pretty much forgotten about it until they rang me. I'm kind of excited now though!

Oh, and good to hear you've sold one of your own designs. Hopefully it took a bit of the sting off of doing all that new payroll stuff.

Clean forgot you were around Bristol way Cumpkin. Might be worth checking if the gun clubs do guest nights or open evenings or something like that - it's a bit like golf clubs, it helps who you know (and it also helps if you can get in there on any pretext just to show you're not a complete arse with a gun).

If you have transport, maybe spread your wings a bit - plenty of places in Gloucestershire/Somerset/South Wales that might not be so full as Bristol.

Plus, if you are down our way, do pop into the shop to say hello.

Jordan

So, this evening has been very interesting.

One of my new work colleagues has started playing DOTA 2 and invited me to a group call on Skype, best gaming session I've had in a while, really enjoyed that.

f0rk

Crashed my computer doing maths on it I am hardcore

also Microsoft are going in on their money hats, next console war will be bloody

SKINNER!

Banned
It turned out quite well. Sipping on coffees while staring at chess pieces. Played two quick games while we talked about movies and travelling. She won both games. Walked her back to her place. Stayed for a while (No room/flatmate ftw). Left a couple hours later. Got a goodbye hug and an invite to a house party that she's having at her flat next week. Yup, quite pleased with that outcome.

and no, I didn't drop a wu-tang version while we were playing.

SKINNER!

Banned
First game was a thrashing since I haven't played for ages. Second game was a lot more competitive but by the end of it I deliberately made terrible moves. Interestingly, I saw numerous chances where she could've check-mated and end the game but she just went for my other pieces instead...

That third console curse might just become a thing if half of these Durango rumours are true.
Looking forward to the meltdowns from both sides on the 21st.

Hystzen

That third console curse might just become a thing if half of these Durango rumours are true.

I'm actually shocked Respawn seem be suckered into a exclusive deal

You would think the creators of CoD would go back to its roots and be on PC at least not just Xbawx

SKINNER!

Banned
Any word if the 360/PS3 version of Watchdogs is going to be a watered down version of the PS4/Durango versions? If they are then I suppose that's one launch title I'm looking forward to.

f0rk

I'm actually shocked Respawn seem be suckered into a exclusive deal

You would think the creators of CoD would go back to its roots and be on PC at least not just Xbawx

It could easily still be on PC, Mass Effect and Bioshock were 360 'exclusives'

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only thing I'll say if that Sony and MS better have learnt a lesson from Nintendo's mishandling of software launches. And before anyone points out what Sony has shown, let me just remind you that Pikmin 3 is still not out and Luigi's Mansion 2 was one of the earlier 3DS games shown.

The only thing I'll say if that Sony and MS better have learnt a lesson from Nintendo's mishandling of software launches. And before anyone points out what Sony has shown, let me just remind you that Pikmin 3 is still not out and Luigi's Mansion 2 was one of the earlier 3DS games shown.

I'm still of the opinion that people who buy in the first 6 months are all too often taken for a ride. Pay over the odds (system, accessories, games), potential hardware issues, post launch software drought is very common, OS lacking in features and filled with bugs.

I remember reading the WiiU release day thread with amazement as posters jumped on to say the hype had led them to going out and buying the system.
Hype can be a powerful thing for some though.

f0rk

Microsoft look like they might be in trouble.
I don't think either are as bad as Nintendo with "launch window" bullshiting though, they've been slipping with dates for a while.

Sooooooo.

Apart from shorty and me, who else is definitely going to Download? If anyone wants to pm me their number I'll try and sort out a Download mini BritGaf meet up.

Darren870

Line up looks pretty cool. I wouldn't go though.

I am to stuck in the old era and I've seen ~50% of those bands live when they had 1-2 cd's out. I hate most the new stuff these days and wouldn't even know most of it :(

Edit: I'd love to see Coal Chamber again though since they haven't put a new cd out!

SmokyDave

I have a feeling that the Durango is going to make some exceptionally unpopular moves with gamers. Which means it's going to be a very successful product indeed.

SteveWD40

I have a feeling that the Durango is going to make some exceptionally unpopular moves with gamers. Which means it's going to be a very successful product indeed.

Well if it requires online and the PS4 doesn't, on top of being third to market with what sounds like a confusing launch (subsidized models)... I think Sony have a good chance to recoup lost ground.

SmokyDave

Well if it requires online and the PS4 doesn't, on top of being third to market with what sounds like a confusing launch (subsidized models)... I think Sony have a good chance to recoup lost ground.
I dunno man. I feel like we live in a strange and twisted world where the villains make out like bandits and the good guys die broke and alone. Only referring to the games industry though, I'm not undergoing some deep-seated crisis!

I can just see MS lucking into that mainstream cash whilst Sony are left serving up the real hotness to a tiny band of hardcore gamers.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
However I think you have to also take into account how knowledgable the parents are of younger gamers... At least from a financial viewpoint, PS4 would be the cheaper option with MS fucking around with LIVE subscritions, (possibly) no second hand games and the constant internet connection malarky.

Assuming MS try to be deceptive as possible to the mainstream audience who don't watch E3, I kinda hope Sony will launch some form of smear campaign (Or rather an informative piece) to stop them getting suckered

Pretty weird speculation for me to have but IDK :3

SteveWD40

All gamers right now are waiting for the new shit, the Wii U wasn't it due to crappy marketing and no real leap. Sony have the money (just) to push the PS4 the right way at the right time.

They are both talking about being to market by years end though and only MS are proven to take worldwide releases seriously (Japanese company's think the EU is an afterthought as a rule).

f0rk

The mainstream audience doesn't buy software though so I'd still say that would be a win for Sony's strategy.

The respawn game being xbox exclusive makes it a lot tighter though

Rubbish King

I think as a whole it's really hard to gauge how this will play out, especially to less-informed younger gamers who pick allegiances with whoever holds their favourite exclusives

The only reason I got a 360 was for halo, and I didnt get the 360 till a few years after the release of the console due to extortionate pricing for someone not yet in their teens
The mainstream audience doesn't buy software though so I'd still say that would be a win for Sony's strategy.

The respawn game being xbox exclusive makes it a lot tighter though
respawn game?
Sony loves us though; region free consoles and a superior PSN+ service.
I never used PSN+ apart from the time I had the month trial and i used it for burnout paradise......

I dunno man. I feel like we live in a strange and twisted world where the villains make out like bandits and the good guys die broke and alone. Only referring to the games industry though, I'm not undergoing some deep-seated crisis!

I can just see MS lucking into that mainstream cash whilst Sony are left serving up the real hotness to a tiny band of hardcore gamers.

I'd agree. That Sim City sold at all is pretty much testament to that.

But if Sony are going to serve up the real hotness to a tiny band of hardcore gamers. Well, I, for one, will be all over that hotness :)

Rubbish King

I kinda wanna watch something other than scrubs but netflix is giving me no love in terms of new stuff to watch

PSN+ is gdlk

Gonna finally get to play Catherine this month.
yay
=D
Gotta love the OT- new threads on sweating and Billy Ray Cyrus!

I'm not even joking, I really do love how fucking weird GAF is at times.
Can you change your avatar back?
I'm not even joking.
I hate this.

Ever since it changed GAF OT has been in a stank
I just signed up last week. £12 every 3 months and you get a lot of games for that, with new games added every month. It's crazy good value.
Not bad, my HDD is so tiny though so it probably aint worth it...plus i havent touched it since i got my PC :( I will pick it up for the last of us though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom