• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
I much prefer OSX as an OS to Windows, and Macs are seriously good pieces of hardware.

Unfortunately, they just cost too damn much, and as a gamer I'd have to dedicate a hefty chunk of the HDD to a Windows bootcamp partition. OSX also has much less of an indie software scene - if I want to achieve something on Windows, there's probably a lightweight piece of software for free I can download in seconds. That sort of scene certainly exists for OSX, but not nearly as much.

I still have my iBook G4 in the wardrobe. It gets used from time to time, despite the disc drive having long since stopped working and the battery only holding 5 minutes of charge.

Jordan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs and drink some of this.

I much prefer OSX as an OS to Windows, and Macs are seriously good pieces of hardware.

Unfortunately, they just cost too damn much, and as a gamer I'd have to dedicate a hefty chunk of the HDD to a Windows bootcamp partition. OSX also has much less of an indie software scene - if I want to achieve something on Windows, there's probably a lightweight piece of software for free I can download in seconds. That sort of scene certainly exists for OSX, but not nearly as much.

I still have my iBook G4 in the wardrobe. It gets used from time to time, despite the disc drive having long since stopped working and the battery only holding 5 minutes of charge.

I would still have my Windows PC, which albeit is 5 years old, is still fairly powerful and do the shit I wouldn't be able to do on a Macbook.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Can we just go back to childhood films for a sec? I just found out one of my favourites was made into a graphic novel and I need it in my life so badly,

This is the film, anyone seen it?

null_zps1e690d7f.jpg
#

Ehem. After my time Musha, sorry.

Suairyu

Banned
I would still have my Windows PC, which albeit is 5 years old, is still fairly powerful and do the shit I wouldn't be able to do on a Macbook.
I'm in the same boat.

My PC is now 5 years old, and I just spent £300 swapping in a motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU. Combine with a mini tablet at some point, like the Nexus 7, and I honestly would have all my computer needs sorted for at least another four years.

When my PC finally kicks the bucket/gets too old to be of use, I'm going to be investing in a laptop instead. Desktop weighs my life down, however amazing it is in terms of power. Might need to evaluate my Windows/OSX stance then.

Or just go full Dark Side and choose linux!

Jordan

I'm in the same boat.

My PC is now 5 years old, and I just spent £300 swapping in a motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU. Combine with a mini tablet at some point, like the Nexus 7, and I honestly would have all my computer needs sorted for at least another four years.

When my PC finally kicks the bucket/gets too old to be of use, I'm going to be investing in a laptop instead. Desktop weighs my life down, however amazing it is in terms of power. Might need to evaluate my Windows/OSX stance then.

My PC now is one of the first Intel i5's - 4 GB Ram and a fairly decent graphics card (being the only thing replaced)

I just feel like it's time to go for a change, I tried Linux and I couldn't get along with it.

Another things drawing me to OSX is the fact I have an iPhone and iPad... everything will link together so neatly.

Looks like my laptop is going to be at least another week. It's going to cost €130 for the full repair. It'll be worth it when I get it back I suppose.

Pity I missed the comics discussion. Most of the stuff suggested here is good. Not sure about Supreme Power. I liked it when I first read it, but I doubt it has aged well. Hawkeye is 100% legit though. It's worth reading for any fan of the artform. It's going to win a bundle of Eisners, and rightly so.

Jordan

Looks like my laptop is going to be at least another week. It's going to cost €130 for the full repair. It'll be worth it when I get it back I suppose.

Pity I missed the comics discussion. Most of the stuff suggested here is good. Not sure about Supreme Power. I liked it when I first read it, but I doubt it has aged well. Hawkeye is 100% legit though. It's worth reading for any fan of the artform. It's going to win a bundle of Eisners, and rightly so.

What was wrong with your laptop?

Suairyu

Banned
?

You didn't miss a thing. Go post in the thread.

I'm in the same boat.

I'm on a Q6700, Amd 4870, and 4GB ram, currently. Despite being four years old the system actually holds up very well even gaming since I'm at 1680x1050 res. I mean if I was flush with cash I'd consider a GPU upgrade, but I'd have to take CPU bottlenecking into account.

Ideally I'll purchase a full new system in 18 months or so, once the next gen effect has kicked in for PC ports.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Hypothetical situation

You knew a girl at school who was alright but nothing spesh, years on you stumble across nude pics of her online

not too shabby pics, but do you keep it a secret or share with the world?

f0rk only drinks Jagerbomb and blue WKD

you're forgetting J20s brah

NinjaBoiX

Hypothetical situation

You knew a girl at school who was alright but nothing spesh, years on you stumble across nude pics of her online

not too shabby pics, but do you keep it a secret or share with the world?
If you mean "world" as in britGAF PM's, yes.

If you just mean world, no.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
CHEEZMO™;57179348 said:
dont diss blue WKD even if it does give me heartburn
I remember making slushies from these plus various other kinds of alcohol at sixth form parties. I felt like the sugar rotted the shit out of my teeth and made me feel like shit. Disgusting stuff.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I step into the Brit Gaf thread for the first time in about 5000 posts and what do I see? Greggs bashing. No wonder I stayed away.

Admittedly, much of their produce is low grade or downright awful, but I'd be shocked if you couldn't find one thing you really liked. For me it was always the Club Chicken Baguettes, always used to grab one from the greggs near my university when I lived there.

Was never a big fan of their sandwiches though; the crusts were always too hard and let down otherwise reasonable fillings.

lol

fill in the census in the OP!

SteveWD40

We should make a kickstarter to start a podcast there's loads of money in it

I give PA a pass, they started the best gaming convention and a great kids charity all off the sweat off their backs and with about 12 staff, if their community wants to pay them for this then it's their choice.

I don't like it. It's tacky. I'd rather see them kickstart things like Strip Search, or an Automata book, or something. A podcast seems so... trivial, for them.

f0rk

I give PA a pass, they started the best gaming convention and a great kids charity all off the sweat off their backs and with about 12 staff, if their community wants to pay them for this then it's their choice.

I don't really have a problem with paying for content (I mean I subscribe to giantbomb) but putting it on kickstarter with a joke goal is taking the piss and contributing to the increasingly negative opinion people have of the service

FWIW I contributed to the Idle Thumbs podcast, but a) that's the best video game podcast and b) they pretty much had fuck all equipment, recording space or disposable income

also they had sensible, cool rewards

My problem with it is that I want them to do the podcast, but their rewards are crap and I don't want them. I can wait two weeks.

No ethical issue though, podcasts are hard to monitize, time costs money, as does production values, and if it works, great. People saying that no-one can ask for money for a form of entertainment because they once did it on Skype with a cheap headset can piss off. Stop being so self righteous about a "purpose" for a site they decided themselves.

I'd love to get that sort of money for my radio show. Or any. I like money.

Hystzen

Man that Infamous Second Son thread reminded me how much the word douche grates me heck even saying the word sounds awful

NinjaBoiX

Escape from Alcatraz is awesome. Prime Clint.

Also, mailman getting one over on the man is the best thread currently on NEOGAF.

Edit: I just realised Mr Heckles from friends is in it. Bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom